Add the sauerkraut, stir and continue frying for another minute or so. 4 cups (1 litre) vegetable stock. Thanks for the recipe! 2 cups (480 ml) water. Steep mushrooms in 1 1/2 cups of boiling water until they are soft and you can chop them (I use a food processor). Add the potatoes, caraway seeds, vegetable broth, soy cream and seasoning and simmer for about 10 minutes until the potatoes are soft. If soup is too thick for your taste, add a little more sauerkraut juice mixed with water. Add the garlic and fry, stirring, for another 30 seconds or until fragrant. Wonderful original taste. Bring to a boil, add chopped mushrooms and mushroom water. Add the onion and fry until soft and beginning to turn golden brown. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. Add the garlic and cook another minute. If you make this sauerkraut soup with meat add water rather than stock (both the meat as well as stock are salty). Make sure you serve the soup piping hot. Rinse sauerkraut and add it to the soup. https://yourmomsvegan.com/recipes/vegan-potato-sauerkraut-casserole I hope you always welcome, as I do, a delicious Enjoy. Add salt and pepper to taste. Then add pepper, salt (be very careful with salt) and chopped greens. I followed the rest of the recipe except I skipped the flour and butter roux but this soup is still plenty thick without it. I tried to think back to my granny’s favorite things—pork products, potatoes, and the ability to make something… Recipe by Timothy H. I had some sauerkraut on hand (usually have a case or less in the freezer) wanted to make a soup for a German party that I was invited too! as terry b. suggested, i browned the pork, sauteed the aromatics in the fat (with an extra splash of veg. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. I ended up adding an extra quart of water and it was still plenty thick. I also found that I was missing a bit of a smokey flavour. I am loving this soup. You can also add as much mushrooms as you like. Wipe out the skillet, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and heat over medium heat. (all the other ones I've seen for sauerkraut soup seem to contain meat!) But switching up your side dishes can bring a refreshing change to a classic comfort food dish. We pack these soups with budget-friendly ingredients like canned or frozen vegetables and pasta. https://www.ranchogordo.com/blogs/recipes/sauerkraut-and-white-bean-soup I'm surprised but I did find this too tart. For one jar of sauerkraut with juice I would use extra juice from a second bag/ jar. I added some kielbasa and caraway to the soup and that really made the flavor. Sauté onion in bacon drippings until tender; stir in sauerkraut. This was ridiculously good. Add broth, milk, maple syrup and sauerkraut brine and increase heat to high. 6. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. All of the tart flavors mellow upon cooking and blend to create a buttery-ish flavor (i.e. Put sauerkraut, sauerkraut juice, and 1 1/2 quarts water in soup pot (5-quart Dutch oven is fine). Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. Enjoy! https://www.plantbasedcooking.com/recipe/vegan-sauerkraut-soup It's a keeper and will make again. Step 3 Melt … In a 4 to 6 quart slow cooker, blend the cream of mushroom soup, cream of chicken soup, water, … Adjust the amounts to suit your preference. The flavor reminds me a little bit of the hot and sour soup you get in a Chinese restaurant. used a 2 3/4 lb shoulder roast, so nearly tripled the recipe. In fact I had to had an extra quart of water. 2 cups (350 grams) … Carefully transfer soup to a heat-safe blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. Germans usually serve these dishes on New Year’s Eve, as it is said that sauerkraut brings good luck. Slavic folks love dried mushrooms, sauerkraut, potatoes, dill, and soups. In the meantime, melt the butter and saute onions until they're soft. While we are talking about delicious soups, why not try this delicious Cabbage Beef I also added about 4 cloves of garlic into onion mixture. https://anaffairfromtheheart.com/polish-sauerkraut-soup-kapusniak I would consider adding some bacon or something similar. To save time making this soup prepare the vegetables while the sauerkraut and onion are cooking. I really like this. Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. https://www.polishyourkitchen.com/polishrecipes/sauerkraut-soup-kapusniak The flavours develop over time making this hearty soup incredibly flavourful. In a soup pot fry the bacon until done. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes, until squash is tender. Great recipe! The best thing about recipes like Slow-Cooker Vegetable Soup and Ravioli & Vegetable Soup is that they are delicious and versatile. Make a hearty and comforting meal with these vegetable soup recipes. Heat up the oil and saute onion and garlic until fragrant for about 3 minutes. Turn down heat and simmer for one hour. 2 bay leaves. This recipe took inspiration from Machanka, a meatless Slovak soup that’s popular during Catholic Lent season. You can have this soup on your table in under 30 minutes as a light dinner or lunch. Put sauerkraut, sauerkraut juice, and 1 1/2 quarts water in soup pot (5-quart Dutch oven is fine). Stir until well combined, and cook until heated through, for about 5 minutes. I don't rinse off my sauerkraut because we like our soup tart. https://www.peacefuldumpling.com/recipe/vegan-red-lentil-sauerkraut-soup Add the mixture to the soup … I used rice in place of barley and sauteed FRESH mushrooms with the onion in butter instead of using dried mushrooms. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/slow-cooked-sauerkraut-soup I will definitely make this again. Most people won't think twice about serving basic cornbread when is on the table. Add the flour to the onion mixture to thicken. Bring to a boil … No changes to the recipe necessary. 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. Healthy Fish Pie with Cauliflower Topping, Roasted Eggplant Tomato Pasta Sauce (Vegan), Creamy Baked Buckwheat Casserole with Cheese, Vegan Mushroom Cabbage Rolls with Lentil & Rice. Add the rest of the ingredients (NOT the salt), including the remaining water, stir, cover, bring to boil again and continue cooking over a low heat for 50 minutes. … Add sliced carrots, potatoes, 1/4 cup quinoa (if using), 8 cups broth and 2 cups water. Yum! I just made this from scratch … Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Amount is based on available nutrient data. Feel free to add in or swap out proteins if you have any leftovers on hand. This soup will keep up to seven days when refrigerated. I will rinse the kraut next time and likely also add a bit of plain green cabbage to mellow it out. in the French onion soup family). Serve topped with Bubbies sauerkraut, pomegranate and fresh dill. This makes a ton so I froze portions for later. Add a drizzle of olive oil or a splash of water … In a large pot heat up the oil, add the bay leaf, onion and fry for a couple of minutes … I’d never ever eaten sauerkraut before we moved to Slovenia, and if I’m honest, it’s something that’s never really appealed to me; I’m not a lover of fermented or pickled foods, and sauerkraut … It is very good and our Polish friends and relatives love it. Reduce heat and simmer until the meat is ready to fall off the bones © Copyright 2020, 20 Things to Cook This Month That Have Nothing to Do With Thanksgiving, 15 Vegan Muffin Recipes for Easy Breakfasts, 15 Comfort Food Dinners That Start With Creamy Alfredo Sauce, 2-Ingredient Snacks That Are Too Easy Not to Make, Use Your Stale Bread in These Savory Bread Puddings, 13 Spiked Apple Cider Cocktails to Celebrate the Season, 15 Comfort Food Casseroles Inspired by World Cuisines, 12 Recipes to Turn Extra Chicken into Healthy Main Dish Salads, 15 Ground Beef Soup Recipes for Easy Weeknight Dinners, Ground Turkey Slow Cooker Recipes for Easy Weeknight Meals, 11 Top Chicken Casseroles That Lean to the Healthy Side, 12 Classic Italian Recipes Made Easy in the Instant Pot, Nutrition Very velvety tasting. Sauerkraut can be used as an appetizer served on bread or as a warm side dish together with the famous German sausages or any other type of pork meat. If you want, though, you can rinse it. Goes great with fish sandwiches, or nice chewy breadsticks. In a large pot heat up the oil, add the bay leaf, onion and fry for a couple of minutes over a medium heat stirring occasionally. DO NOT add salt until the soup is fully cooked as the sauerkraut is salty so taste the soup to decide how much salt it needs. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. I would make this again - very inexpensive to make. 4. Thanks for posting. It also took some inspiration from the general Slovak recipe canon. Loved this! Everyday Healthy Recipes. Add the sauerkraut, paprika and caraway seeds. A vegan soup made from spicy sauerkraut, sautéed onions and paprika make the sauerkraut recipe a real taste experience. 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced. Heat the oil or water in a large pot over medium heat. Simple and good. salt, lemon, vegetable broth, olive oil, tamari, sauerkraut, lemon wedges and 7 more Chlodnik (Chilled Buttermilk-Beet Soup) Simmer Down! Information is not currently available for this nutrient. I trippled the ammount. 1 teaspoon smoked paprika. Congrats! Add the onions and cook until lightly caramelized, 5-7 minutes. Thanks! It is great on a cold day like today. « Creamy Curried Roasted Cauliflower Salad, Chicken and Mushroom Casserole (Healthy) ». Add some of the boiling liquid from your soup to the onion mixture and when smooth add to soup. Nice to have one that is vegetarian. Scrape the onion-garlic mixture into the soup pot, and continue cooking. This hearty and warming Polish sauerkraut soup (Kapusniak) is a nutritious simple recipe perfect to enjoy on a cold day. Simmer for 20-30 minutes until fermented cabbage is tender. You saved Sauerkraut Soup I to your. Fantastic! Makes soup taste more tart. Save the water to add to the soup. I was looking for a 'veggie' alternative to the traditional New Year's pork and sauerkraut and this is definately it! There are several sauerkraut soup recipe variations, but this one is by far the best. https://www.quick-german-recipes.com/sauerkraut-soup-recipe.html Heat up a large heavy bottom pot on medium flame. Cook over medium heat 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Spreading the cabbage flavor thicker still, and adds such intense flavor that the addition of any meat product becomes virtually superfluous. Love the way the mushroom-onion-sauerkraut flavors meld. Perfect for a dreary fall day watching football. Your email address will not be published. Without those additions I think it would have just been sauerkraut in broth. My vegan jota is a hearty smoky bean and sauerkraut hotpot, is simplicity itself to make, and is perfect during cooler weather! Stir sauerkraut mixture into reserved potato mixture, and set aside. oil), and simmered them all in the broth. scallions, radishes, cucumber, salt, sour cream, sauerkraut, sugar … Lower the heat, add the potatoes, and cook until soft, 12–15 minutes. I lost my original Christmas Polish sauerkraut soup recipe and this one is very musch like it. Add barley (make sure you rinse it first), cook until barley is done. Combine the sauerkraut with the water in a medium-size pot, and bring to a boil over high heat. 205 calories; protein 4.9g 10% DV; carbohydrates 24.2g 8% DV; fat 10.2g 16% DV; cholesterol 25.4mg 9% DV; sodium 666.9mg 27% DV. Sauerkraut soup is always better the next day or the day after. Info. It gives it a nice rich color. I didn't have dried mushrooms so I added 2 TB of mushroom boulion base to the soup and then sauteed fresh mushrooms with the onions. Lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Add ½ the amount of water, cover and bring to boil.