Repeat stacking and rolling the remaining 2 squares of dough to make a second pinwheel log. Mix in eggs and vanilla, followed by salt and baking powder. We independently select these products—if you buy from one of our links, we may earn a commission. Add holiday nonpareils to a large shallow dish or tray. Bake cookies for 10 minutes. Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Santa will be … One more thing turns into two and then I have to even it all out again. I chose this pretty teal color for these pinwheel cookies. Patriotic pinwheel cookies have sweet swirls of red white and blue. Nichole says. I’m definitely bookmarking this recipe for later use! Those look delicious! Divide the dough into two portions and shape each portion into a cylinder about 1 1/2-inches in diameter. Tsk tsk. Add the whole egg and vanilla, return the mixer to medium speed, and beat until well-combined, about 1 minute. Sugar cookie dough is pretty straightforward. Once you have the dough rolled into pinwheels, you have two options: chilling again briefly before baking, or stashing the dough in the freezer for long-term keeping. Sugar Cookies for... CRANBERRY NUT BREAD. Chocolate Chip Pinwheel Cookies. This will help to keep it's round shape. Whip these up for your family, for Christmas cookie exchanges, to take to bake sales, to stick in Christmas baked good boxes, etc. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together into a bowl. Cornmeal-Sugar Cookie Pinwheels - Taste of the South Magazine An easy and festive pinwheel cookie, perfect for the Christmas season! Let stand on cookie sheet two minutes … Begin by creaming together the butter and sugar until fluffy and light, in an electric mixer or with a hand held mixer. The bottom layer of dough will be the outside of the pinwheel. Print Recipe. Subscribe to receive new posts in your email box: In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. COOKIE PINWHEELS. I’m mostly done. She co-hosts a weekly podcast about food and family called Didn't I Just Feed You. Bake the cookies: Bake the cookies for 7 minutes. This simple recipe will cause them to welcome these tasty treats in a matter of moments. And I’m sure my kids will find them all. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside. Meghan has a baking and pastry degree, and spent the first 10 years of her career as part of Alton Brown's culinary team. Colorful cookies are always a big win with the kids… or anyone for that matter! Add the egg and vanilla and beat until incorporated. Cook Time 10 mins. The hardest part of baking pinwheel cookies is deciding how to color and flavor the dough and rolling the two doughs together, but there are a few tricks to make both easier. Bake for 10 minutes and then remove from the oven and let cool. Like, real life animals that are made to look like they’re talking… or even singing? Tip: Avoid a flat side to your pinwheels by turning the dough logs a quarter turn in between slices while cutting the cookies. It was time I finally made a festive version for the holidays. Of course, you can use any colors to fit the season or the occasion. Turn the log a quarter turn every three or four cuts to prevent a flat side. Whisk the flour and salt together: Whisk the flour and salt together in a medium bowl; set aside. Leftover Thanksgiving Turkey Stuffed Shells, Apple Crisp Cupcakes with Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting, Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake with Cinnamon Streusel, Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes with Blueberry Buttercream Frosting, Leftover Thanksgiving Turkey Shepherd’s Pie, Slice and Bake Cranberry Pistachio Cookies. Sometimes I just can’t help myself! Use one hand to guide the dough into a roll while pulling up with the parchment paper underneath to create a tight roll. Store cookies in an airtight container for up to a week. Reply. Soft and colorful, holiday inspired pinwheel cookies! Make pinwheel logs and chill: Starting from a long end, roll the rectangle of dough tightly up into a log. The first roll might feel awkward, but you can use an offset spatula or butter knife to tuck the edge under and create a tight seal. Repeat process with red dough. STEP SEVEN: Carefully roll each rectangle into a long log. Stack this dough on top of the chocolate dough in the refrigerator. Bake your Christmas Cookies. Rotate the baking sheets between racks and from front to back. drops super red Americolor gel food color. Add the flour mixture, turn the mixer to low speed, and mix until just incorporated, about 30 seconds. Christmas Pinwheel Sugar Cookies are fun festive and exceptionally easy to make. Line a baking pan with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Beginning at one of the short ends, carefully roll dough into a tight log. Return remaining dough to the refrigerator until ready to slice and bake. Arrange cookies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Roll onto parchment paper … Stack one dough on top of the other. Results 1 - 10 of 19 for cinnamon pinwheel cookies. In a large bowl of an electric mixer, beat at medium speed butter and sugars until light and fluffy. These soft-baked peppermint sugar cookies with a festive red swirl are perfect for Christmas and the holiday season. Bake 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden. I’m a New England girl, born and raised, now residing in southern New Hampshire with my husband and our three young children. I’m debating between spending all day in the kitchen or snuggling up and finishing my book. Refrigerate until cool but pliable enough to roll, 25 to 30 minutes. See more ideas about pinwheel sugar cookies, christmas cooking, christmas candy recipes. Roll the stacked square into a 6x8-inch rectangle. Pinwheel cookies are popular and become the favorite meal to serve when Christmas. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 1 cup unsalted butter 3/4 cup granulated sugar 2 large egg yolks 1 tsp vanilla 2 1/4 cup all purpose flour 1/2 tsp salt 3 tbsp festive Christmas sprinkles…sugar sprinkles, not chocolate. The hardest part won’t be making the cookies… it’ll be not eating all of them! 1. As a kid I can remember absolutely loving cookies, but not homemade cookies, store-bought. I know! HOT FUDGE PUDDING CAKE. Prep Time 10 mins. A perfect cookie for your next cookie exchange, holiday party… or the big guy! A basic sugar cookie dough get dyed red and then the doughs simply … So good. Brown Sugar Pinwheel Cookies, a crunchy deliciously sweet fast and easy cookie. Brown Sugar Cookies Who doesn’t love cookies? You should have 4 squares of dough: 2 chocolate and 2 vanilla. October 25 at 12:18 pm. A little more exciting. Cream together butter and sugar, add eggs and vanilla, and finish with some flour and salt. Bake until the cookies are just set in the center (they will not brown), 5 to 6 minutes more. Return one half of the dough to the bowl. Then I’ll be on the hunt for a new author to binge on. These simple sugar cookies are made with one cookie dough and in one mixing bowl. Carefully slice 1/4-inch slices, spacing roughly 1-2-inches apart on the prepared baking sheet. Cut the dough logs: Remove 1 pinwheel dough log from the refrigerator, unwrap, and slice into 1/4-inch-thick rounds. The delicious, sweet and smooth texture are offered from this. Sugar cookie dough is pretty straightforward. Make sure these easy pinwheel Christmas sugar cookies are part of your holiday baking plans! *These quick cookies (other than a short chilling period) need to be baked for the full recommended time and be sure to run a test batch so you can make any timing adjustments necessary so as to avoid having under-baked centers in the pinwheels. Christmas Pinwheel Sugar Cookies. Roll out the doughs and chill: Place the chocolate dough on a piece of parchment. Keeping the dough sandwiched in the parchment, transfer it to a baking sheet and refrigerate. Wrap the parchment-wrapped logs of cookie dough in plastic wrap and freeze until solid, about 3 hours. Heat the oven and line baking sheets: Arrange 2 racks to divide the oven into thirds and heat to 350°F. Pinwheel Sugar Cookies . Wrap in plastic wrap and place back in the refrigerator for an additional 1 to 2 hours, or overnight. SNICKERDOODLES. Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together and set aside. In a mixer with a paddle attachment cream the butter well; then add the sugar and continue creaming until light and fluffy. Layer the colors together on a flat surface, then roll into a log shape and refrigerate again. I only have a few left before I’m done with all of them. Cream together butter and sugar, add eggs and vanilla, and finish with some flour and salt. What People Want from a Healer in the Midst of a Pandemic, A Middle School Math Teacher Planning Lessons and Lunch, The Columbus, OH-based Forager Who's Become a TikTok Star, A Food Justice Advocate and Mother Talks Breastfeeding and Herb Gardens, Bryant Terry's Sautéed Cabbage and Roasted Potatoes, Vivian Howard's Baked Pimento Cheese and Sausage, Why I Roll Out Sugar Cookie Dough Before Chilling It. (Alternatively, use an electric hand mixer and large bowl.) Continue mixing until fully combined and no streaks remain. Wrap the pinwheel log in parchment paper. And so these spooky Halloween Pinwheel Sugar Cookies were born. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight. An easy and festive pinwheel cookie, perfect for the Christmas season! Let the baking sheets cool (you can use the same parchment), then repeat with cutting and baking the remaining dough log. Roll out dough to a 9x16-inch rectangle. Got a tip, kitchen tour, or other story our readers should see? I knew I could create my own version of pinwheel cookies, even better! Place the cookie slices onto a lightly greased cookie sheet with at least 2 inches between each cookie (about 12 per cookie sheet). For the white dough: In a medium bowl, beat together the sugar, butter, salt, and vanilla.Add the flour and mix to form a cohesive dough. I love the swirls and they’re so customizable with different colors, sprinkles and flavors! The perfect dessert or snack treat. And even more so if you’re a sugar cookie fan! Rewrap in wax paper. Wrapped dough may be placed inside of two large drinking glasses or the center of a paper towel roll cut down the length. And I’m not even talking about all of the Air Bud type movies, which we’ve never seen. They are sugar cookies rolled around a delicious chocolate filling, and decorated with fun Halloween sprinkles. Peppermint Pinwheel Cookies. Slice off the end. Beat on medium speed until fluffy and lightened in color, about 3 minutes. We were in a talking dog movie kick over the weekend. Take your time to avoid gaps in between the rolls. Trim the dough to an even rectangle. How to Store Pinwheel Cookies. Even the store-purchased player will work after every other choice has been exhausted. After the cookie dough is made, it’s divided into thirds and colored in red and green, leaving the third piece of dough as is. Unwrap the sprinkle covered dough log. Meghan approaches food with an eye towards budgeting — both time and money — and having fun. And, this dough is SO easy to work with! Festive Pinwheel Sugar Cookies. We have our first official snow day of the season. It started with Santa Paws, which btw, is a really cute Christmas movie. A must make for all sugar cookie fans! See more ideas about Pinwheel sugar cookies, Fudge recipes, Holiday fudge recipes. Resift again into another … Divide the dough again: Remove both doughs from the refrigerator and remove the top piece of parchment from each. The perfect cookies will bring out the good mood and such an inspiration for celebrating the Christmas. Here are a few flavoring ideas, plus their ingredient upgrades. Be sure to label and date the cookies with their baking temperature and time, and remove the cookie dough from the freezer for 15 minutes before slicing and baking. Pinwheel cookies are so beautiful and can be made with a variety of colors. Also, is it just my kids or are all kids obsessed with movies where animals talk? I’m currently on the second of the Slammed series… Point of Retreat. These festive red and green pinwheel sugar cookies are a treat to eat—and lovely to look at, too. A little cuter. Don’t be intimidated by pinwheels. Santa would definitely love these. Unwrap dough log and begin rolling in the sprinkles. These cookies have a nice, light classic sugar cookie … Christmas Pinwheel Sugar Cookies are colorful slice and bake sugar cookies made from scratch. These easy pinwheel cookies are beyond mesmerizing but also so easy simple to make. Place the red dough down first, removing the top layer of wax paper. So many talking animals… so little time! Cover with a second piece of parchment and roll the dough into a 12x6-inch rectangle that's about 1/4-inch thick. Allow cookies to sit on the pan for 1 minute before transfering to a wire rack to cool completely. Pull up gently on the remaining layer of wax paper to help roll the dough. Just let them thaw on the counter for a few hours before serving. I’m dying to keep reading but I’m also sad that I’m flying through because that means one less book I’ll have to read of hers. Reply. I keep telling myself just one more thing. Preheat oven to 350°F. I participated in a cookie swap where you bake a batch of cookies … With the mixer on low speed, add the melted chocolate, cocoa powder, and egg yolk and mix until just incorporated, about 2 minutes. Sugar Cookie Pinwheels are a fun twist on traditional sugar cookies! Place half of the dough on a piece of parchment paper; set aside. Divide the dough in half and place each half on a sheet of plastic; flatten the dough to a 5" x 7" rectangle, then wrap and chill for 2 to 4 hours. I recommend MINI chocolate chips because otherwise the dough will be too lumpy. 1 2 Next. Are you done with your shopping or have you not even started? I’m positive there are even more holiday talking animal movies. Dec 19, 2019 - Explore Cathy ann's board "Pinwheel sugar cookies" on Pinterest. 42 Min(s) Cook. These cookies are soft, buttery, and chewy with a festive flare for the holidays. Christmas Pinwheel Cookies. Working along the longest edge of the doughs, roll the dough into a tight pinwheel. Place 12 rounds on each baking sheet, spacing them at least 1 inch apart. Place untinted dough between two large sheets of wax paper. Wrap dough log in wax paper. We’re officially in the home stretch… less than two weeks until Christmas! Total Time 3 hrs 30 mins. Pinwheel cookies are a simple upgrade on a classic sugar cookie, perfect for the home baker who wants to bake beautiful sugar cookies but doesn’t have the time (or desire) to decorate two-dozen cookies with royal icing. Refrigerate both logs for 1 hour. So, I’m not complaining… but… Santa Paws led into Santa Paws 2. That’s right; this is the Christmas pinwheel sugar cookies. They're breathtaking on a holiday cookie party platter and make for a gorgeous homemade gift idea! Flavor half the dough: Fit the bowl with the remaining dough back onto the mixer. I loved going to my friend’s house and eating Fudgee o and Pirate Peanut Butter Cookies.Continue Reading For these cookies, I used my rolled sugar cookie recipe. Simply sprinkle mini chocolate chips on the dough before rolling it up! Slice cookie dough into 1/4-inch pinwheel shapes using a sharp knife. Chocolate Pinwheel Cookies comes together with just one simple batch of sugar cookie dough and they are Christmas dessert perfection. Keep in mind that whichever dough is on the bottom of the stack will be the outside of the pinwheel. Once you’ve got your two dough portions mixed, it’s easiest to roll these doughs out while they’re still soft, before chilling. Remove the remaining top layer of wax paper. Perfect for St Patrick's Day or Christmas, or change the colors to fit any occasion! Apartment Therapy is full of ideas for creating a warm, beautiful, healthy home. The possibilities are truly endless. Mix until dough is evenly colored. EVERYDAY SUGAR COOKIES. Classic, slice and bake soft sugar cookies get dressed up as a July 4 cookie! If you have little kids, it’s basically a must watch. The genius of a pinwheel cookie is simply dividing this dough into two parts and flavoring one. You will love how easy they are to make! On the other two pieces, place the red on the bottom. Be the first to get new recipes – Subscribe to STEP SIX: Once all 4 pieces of dough are rolled out, carefully place one red piece on top of the dough colored piece. It is so easy you can use your favorite recipe or mine. Let cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer the cookies to a cooling rack. These smaller portions make stacking and rolling the dough easier (no long rolls to wrestle) and give you the option of alternating the design of the pinwheel. A must make for all sugar cookie fans! They also freeze well for up to 3 months. Refrigerate for an additional 1-2 hours. Pinwheel Cookie Flavor Variations. Rolled and sliced and ready to bake, our Candy Corn Sugar Cookie Pinwheels are all laid out on the baking sheet! I’m going out on a limb to say these are the best pinwheel cookies because they’re like a chocolate chip cookie married a sugar cookie! Add 5 drops of red gel food color to the bowl. Christmas Pinwheel Sugar Cookies. Refrigerate both layers of dough for 15-20 minutes. Remove one sheet of wax paper from the untinted dough. They may look hard, but they’re really easy. Stack a square of vanilla and a square of chocolate dough together, lining them up as precisely as possible. Divide dough into two equal portions. Patriotic pinwheel cookies have sweet swirls of red … Variation: To make chocolate-nut cookies, mix all of the dough with 1/2 cup of cocoa.Put 1 1/2 cups of finely chopped walnuts or pecans in a large plate. She's a master of everyday baking, family cooking, and harnessing good light. Aug 29, 2019 - Explore Micheal pratt's board "Pinwheel sugar cookies" on Pinterest. Just as good as the first and I’m flying through, which is both good and bad. Beat in egg, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Add the egg and vanilla: Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Store baked pinwheel cookies in an airtight container on the counter for up to 1 week. Once chilled, divide the doughs in half again. Using a sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut each dough in half crosswise to create 4 (6x6-inch) squares of dough total. Continue rolling and pressing sprinkles into the dough until it is completely covered and no dough shows through. Carefully flip the untinted dough down onto the red layer. Divide the dough: Remove the bowl from the mixer and give the cookie batter a few stirs by hand, scraping the bottom of the bowl, to ensure that all of the ingredients are evenly incorporated. When making these cookies you want to make sure you are using a sugar cookie recipe that doesn’t spread much as well as colors well. Extracts and food coloring can just be folded into the dough (as is the case with our peppermint pinwheels), but for additions like chocolate or gingerbread spices, the dough may need an ingredient enhancement. Leave a Reply Cancel reply. Scrape the bowl as needed. Mix in flour, adding one cup at a time. Add the flour mixture: Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl again. Make sure these easy pinwheel Christmas sugar cookies are part of your holiday baking plans! Your Cinnamon Sugar Pinwheel Cookies look and sound absolutely delicious and perfect for using up that leftover dough! And, we also have the third recorded, in addition to Snow Buddies. Pro Tips Making Pinwheel Cookies Transfer dough to the refrigerator to chill, keeping both sheets of wax paper in place. The step-by-step pictures here will help walk you through the process. I’ve seen pictures of these cookies on Pinterest and have been wanting to add these cookies to my holiday list. Meghan is the Food Editor for Kitchn's Skills content. 8 Review(s) 1 Hr(s) 2 Min(s) 20 Min(s) Prep. I love classic sugar cookies as much as the next girl, but sometimes I crave something a little different. The genius of a pinwheel cookie is simply dividing this dough into two parts and flavoring one. Surely this doesn’t just happen to me! Cream the butter and sugar: Place the butter and sugar in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Read more: Why I Roll Out Sugar Cookie Dough Before Chilling It. bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled (see note below). CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES. Mint Chocolate Sugar Cookie Pinwheels are soft, chewy, and so pretty! Cover the reserved vanilla dough with parchment and repeat rolling it out into a second rectangle. The premise is simple: Mix up your favorite sugar cookie dough, divide that dough into two, color and flavor one of the doughs, roll them out, roll them together, slice, and bake. Add flour, baking soda, and salt and beat until well incorporated. Divide dough into 2 balls, and roll each ball out to pie crust thickness. Assemble the cookies. I’ve seen red and green for Christmas, yellow and pink for spring, and black and orange for Halloween. Pinwheel cookies are probably one of my favorite special cookies to make. I’m Rachel, the name behind the blog!