If you’re not fond of replanting every spring, this will save you the effort. This mounding plant can be planted on its own or with a spiller plant, like creeping Jenny or sutera. I have 3 mum’s and I’m new to gardening. Plants To Grow In Containers These plants are suitable to keep in pots for a long period of time – usually for up to 5 years without the need to significantly change the size of the pot. Looking for hardy plants to grow in pots? My name is Lisa, and I’m on a mission to expand my plant knowledge. Like most heavy-flowering plants, Cinerama should be deadheaded and fertilized regularly. Herbs are readily available from nurseries and garden centres. Choose seedlings that are stocky and healthy, and avoid any that are wilted or dry. A more upright variety will work the best as a container plant, such as Black Jack, Brilliant and Showy Stonecrop. Salvia 'Black and Blue' - 1 Stock 'Harmony Purple'- 6 pack Calibrachoa (million bells) Minifamous Double Pink Vein 3 - 4 in pots Alyssum 'Clear Crystal White' - 2 - 4 packs Lobelia 'Palace Blue' - 6 pack Best Containers for Full Sun Planters. Learn tips for creating your most beautiful (and bountiful) garden ever. The clusters of star-shaped flowers are large and spectacular. Here are 15 flowers that can withstand all the sun … Adding a little shade when the summer heats up can help them last longer and keep blooming right until fall. If you’re looking for mum fertilizer, I would go with a soluble fertilizer with a balanced formula, 20-20-20 or 15-15-15. Happy planting! Million bells will grow well in almost any container. Houseplants are one of the best ways to enjoy the merits of nature indoors. Townsend, Sara Begg., and Roanne Robbins. They’ll want at least 8 hours of direct sun, and should be watered when the soil has dried out. Available in many vibrant colors, Cineraria can flower for several weeks if conditions are cool enough, between 50 and 60 degrees Fahrenheit. Abelia Grandiflora (Common Name – Glossy Abelia) 175mm Pot $ 18.95. Continuous Container Gardens: Swap in the Plants of the Season to Create Fresh Designs Year-Round. It thrives in neglect and heat, it is kind of an afternoon sun plant, the more sun the better. If you are short on space, go for the “Goblin” strain that stays small. They work very well in large containers and can reach heights between 1 and 3 feet, depending on the variety. Large clusters of bright flowers, including some brilliant blue ones that are very striking, make this a very popular container plant. Sedum is a really large group of succulents, with so many varieties that you might not even realize they are all the same type of plant. Pansies and violas are closely related annuals. Regardless, they all have characteristic fleshy leaves and produce large clusters of very small flowers that usually bloom in the late summer or fall. Debra LaGattuta is a certified master gardener with decades of experience with perennial and flowering plants, container gardening, and raised bed vegetable gardening. Cineraria is a perennial that's grown as a springtime annual in most areas. However, when you have big houseplants, they not only create an impression but they also make a visual statement that is simply hard to miss! Like with blanket flowers, you should pinch off the dead flowers to keep the plants blooming longer. If that is your region, you might find they eventually get a little too large for an average pot, reaching up to 8 feet high. Like most heavy-flowering plants, Cinerama should be deadheaded and fertilized regularly. They are a low-growing plant, rarely getting to be a foot high, and the brightly colored flowers resemble small petunias. It’s a hardy perennial and will come back even after a cold winter. Cool weather lovers, they will fade and become leggy when it gets too warm. Pinching off spent flower stalks will help violas and pansies to bloom continuously. Petunias are easy to find, inexpensive, and come in a vast assortment of colors and sizes. Kerry Michaels is a writer and photographer with several years specializing in gardening and landscape design. As the dried flowers are really popular to bring indoors for their lovely scent, you can harvest the floral spikes when they are in full bloom. And they are very inexpensive. A large plant in a relatively small pot may need watering every day whereas a new planting may only require watering once a week until its roots grow and fill the entire volume of potting mix. Pentas really stand out in container gardens. To keep plants growing well in containers, use a good quality, water-wise potting mix. Without the natural flow of water and nutrients from surrounding soil, a pot can become quite sterile. You can let the soil dry right out as long as you give it a thorough soaking when you do water. An added benefit for growing verbena is that it is very attractive to butterflies, and will help bring them to your yard. Sometimes known as moss rose, this desert plant will grow in the most “inhospitable” garden spots. Depending on your climate and average temperatures, you may need to give them some midday shade. You can get 12 plants for less than $8 most places. Plant it in sun or shade and keep well watered during hot weather. Herbs: try basil, coriander, parsley and chives. (Gaillardia grandiflora)Looking like a bright red and yellow daisy, the blanket flower is a colorful choice for that bright sunny spot. These are useful if you’re battling with an exposed plot, including coastal and higher altitude gardens. University of Georgia Extension. 3. Keep them regularly watered so the soil is moist at all times. If you fertilize your cape daisy plant regularly and make sure it has good drainage, it will last well into fall. In fact, it may be better to grow lavender in a container to keep it from spreading too much and taking over a garden. Tall elegant lilies are always nice in a container, though canna lilies are only perennials in warmer zones 7 through 10. This flowering plant has wonderful blossoms with a velvety texture, rich blue color, and contrasting center. These plant-combination ideas will help you construct a container garden full of heat-resistant plants that will thrive even on triple-digit days. As usual, having a lot of sun is important for million bells, though they aren’t as happy in the heat as a petunia would be. Keep them watered and they are pretty much fuss-free. They love lots of sun but do not love too much heat. Plant in the Cool Season. Unlike most of the others on this list, lavender can withstand freezing and can come up each year as a true perennial. Fertilize once a month starting after the last chance of frost in the spring until June or July. Most people struggle with choosing plants that will thrive in low-light or shade because that can be a bit of a challenge. Petunias do just fine in fairly hot or sunny conditions but as I cover in another post, you will need to keep them watered when the soil is dry through the top inch of soil. These flowering container garden plants are hard to kill and will thrive in container gardens in full sun. Place the plant in the center of a garden bed, or at the back of a garden against a fence for tropical height. Verbena is a great container garden plant for the sun because it will flower all summer long and even into the fall. They work very well in large containers and can reach heights between 1 and 3 feet, depending on the variety. If it starts getting leggy, cut it back., Masahiro Nakano/a.collectionRF / Getty Images. For a riot of color in a range of shades, go with pots of petunias. For a long-blooming plant with lovely pink blossoms, you won’t find a better plant than the New Guinea impatiens. I’m so glad I could be helpful to you. I use them in old watering cans, planters, and old enamelware pots. The Spruce uses only high-quality sources, including peer-reviewed studies, to support the facts within our articles. Bunnings Greenlife Buyer Katie Eggleton says, “large and small, pots add an extra level of interest to your garden and patio. Get them situated in a spot with bright sun for most of the day, and possibly give them a feeding of fertilizer once a month. 25 Shade-Loving Plants for Containers and Hanging Baskets 25 Photos The Best Flowers for Pots in Full Sun 15 Photos 3 Oversized Planters You Can Make From Upcycled Items 34 Photos The best fertilizer is really dependent on the plant. But when I refer to large pots, I am talking about nothing smaller than 20” and I prefer much larger. Pentas, also called Egyptian star flowers, attract butterflies and hummingbirds, which love the dark pink and red varieties. 1. Plant the arborvitae in a large pot that holds 20 gallons of high-quality potting soil for best results. With regular feeding, this profuse bloomer will go strong all summer long. They are drought tolerant and only need an average amount of water. The prolific blossoms attract hummingbirds and butterflies and will grow strong all summer with regular feeding. Though they thrive in the sun, these lilies are not going to do well in dry conditions. They dry out, get starved of nutrients, get pot bound or just turn up their heels and die. I will look at getting some photos up soon. Potted plants also dry out much faster than you'd ever expect. Pansies are sold in six packs, small pots or flats, and they might be root-bound. Like several other plants on our list, there are many varieties to choose from, letting you pick from larger upright plants or lower creeping types to suit your location. Hopefully you’ll have 8 hours of sun for your petunias, though they can manage fine with five or six. Discover beautiful, full-sun planting combinations for dazzling summer displays, below. Lantana is a common tropical flower that blooms year-round in bright colors like red, yellow, orange, white or pink. Pansies and violas are also rather easy to grow from seeds. https://www.thespruce.com/how-not-to-kill-your-mums-847862. You’re right, pictures are always helpful I just added some to the post. These plants do not need deadheading, but they do need consistent watering and good drainage. Would be nice to have photos of the plants. Regular deadheading of faded blooms will keep your plants looking good and will encourage more blooms. Good luck! Combining Container Plants for Full Sun. 10 best pot plants for full sun. Garden guru Helen Young unveils her 15 top-performing potted plants, divided into sun-lovers and shade-lovers, chosen for their good looks as well as for being robust and easy to grow. Planting them in the cooler season ensures that they are well-established by the time the worst of the heat comes. Keep in full sun. It is also vital to water pots regularly so they don’t dry out completely. They do not need much care and will thrive, once established, even through heat and drought. Has pinkish – white flowers in su Plant these conifers in several pots to create a natural fence on the patio, or trim them into a topiary for extra appeal. Storey Pub., 2011, Flowering Annuals for Georgia Gardens. Place your Meyer lemon plant (whose shrubby habit can be pruned into a tree form) in a large pot with good drainage. Any tips on keeping my mum’s healthy? To fill a large pot, combine several plants that have similar growth requirements. Climbing Plants for Small to Medium Sized Containers. Most terra cotta will crack in cold temperatures, but I have had luck with glazed pottery. Many full sun plants are also tolerant of drought and arid conditions, making them ideal for potted environments too. For best results, try planting a feature tree in a large pot, and under-plant around the inside edge of the rim every 20 centimetres. The Practical Planter also participates in programs from ShareASale and other sites and is compensated for referring traffic and business to these companies. Choose a pot with a drainage hole in the bottom and made of fiberglass, lead, iron, heavy plastic, or stone. Light: Full sun. For the sun-loving plants that don’t do well in wet soil, think about getting unglazed ceramic pots or boxes made from unsealed wood. Loose and well-draining soil is a must. Keep a close eye on the soil in your plant containers and check regularly to be sure they are not waterlogged. Million bells comes in many spectacular colors and look great in almost any container garden. plants that will thrive in low-light or shade, can be used around the house for a little aroma and to promote health. In this list you'll discover eight easy-to-find, colorful plants that can brighten up your outdoor environment. A standard fertilizer blend for flowering plants can be applied to your pots about once a month to keep everything growing well. Need sunlight and tolerating heat are two different things. I’ll share what I learn as I develop my green thumb. 10 plants for pots and containers – Coreopsis tinctoria Coreopsis looks great in a large pot combined with other annuals and perennials. One way to help plants conserve water is to make a mixed container garden in a planter. Water: Plant in moist, well-drained soil. These containers love full sun and heat, and implementing these tips will help your garden coast smoothly through … A blanket flower will keep on blooming from early summer right through until you get your first frost, if you cut back older flowers before they go to seed. You’re absolutely right. Certain varieties grow in a vining fashion, making them excellent in hanging baskets or window boxes, letting their tendrils drape over the edges (these varieties are known as wave petunias). "Make sure there's a hole in the bottom of your pot so plants don't drown, and read the tag or talk to the nursery to learn which plants do well in your specific conditions, such as full sun or shade." Or stick to a more bush-shaped petunia for a standard planter. Type above and press Enter to search. While most are plain green, look for types with a mottling of dark red or white edges for extra interest. In more regions, they are annuals that can be planted each spring for a season of color and growth. Over time, this will form a complete curtain around the pot. You may have to water more often but you eliminate the risk of water-logged roots. Here’s a list of the Best Large Indoor Plants for your home or office!Tall Houseplants look fascinating and create an illusion of enlarged interior!. If you have a sunny spot on your patio, deck, or porch or need an accent for a bright spot in your garden, a container garden is perfect for you. Dry soil is fine occasionally as they are somewhat drought tolerant as well as sun-loving. Petunias (Petunia x hybrida) are available for planting now. These profuse bloomers are extremely forgiving and come in a wide range of colors. No matter what specific plants you decide to grow, there are some handy tips about container gardening that can help you out. Lastly, though not mentioned specifically for all plants above, a little fertilizer can be a smart move for any container gardening. These plants will usually be fairly slow growing and include the topiary plants such as ilex crenata spirals , … The most important thing is good drainage," says Barbara Wise, author of Container Gardening for All Seasons . They are also lovely and common enough to easily find.