Is... What is the occasion that prompted the poem? help me need questions to answer for my paper. "1 To ask children questions about poems, in a way that will help them be- Questions you can ask about a poem January 9, 2015 January 30, 2017 John Howes The brilliant poet Michael Rosen, an inspiration to so many schoolchildren, has suggested the following questions which could be asked about any poem presented to a class. What biblical events are mentioned, and who mentions them? Repeated exposure to any of these questions on any piece of literature is recommended for any … Ulysses is (1) unwilling to discharge his duties as a (2) king, as he longs for (3) adventure.He is filled with an (4) unquenchable thirst for (5) travel and wishes to live life to the (6) fullest. 7 Questions to Ask When Analyzing Poetry • First look at the title if given. I really enjoyed reading them. Many of them don’t really like it. Discussion Questions for Poems. Your email address will not be published. ... She is the author of Somewhere On A Highway, a poetry collection on self-discovery, growth, love, loss and the challenges of becoming. The answer to “what happened?” is an easy one: the mother describes her daughter riding her bike independently for the first time. Give them a range of art materials and some good quality cartridge paper and allow time for them to create art in response to the poem. Here are some other, I hope, better questions: Is my poem a place you were glad to be in? Also, when they write about poetry it’s important for them to start any discussion off with a concise description of what the poem is about. A place or a thing that makes you feel at ease? Look at the religious references in the poem: what are the names for God? In Hughes’ poem, the speaker is a mother speaking to her son, while the poet is a man. FREE (57) petordream Present Perfect Tense Year 3 . Does this poem make up for taking the other person’s breakfast?) The Good-Morrow Questions and Answers - Discover the eNotes.com community of teachers, mentors and students just like you that can answer any question you might have on The Good … If you have a good question about a character or a plot point or the process of creating that book, they will be overjoyed to hear it. Things that stir the emotions are good subjects for writing, especially for writing poetry. Isn’t so-called “free verse” just prose chopped into lines? 3. Guiding Questions for Poetry Discussion and Written Response 1. In “Cross,” by Langston Hughes, the speaker is the child of a white father and an African-American mother. Is my poem one that brought you a smile? good job! i hav to make another person read the poem "cavalry crossing a ford" by walt whitman..and then interview them about the poem with questions such as "what is your inital response?" Success! 100 Question Quotes Let these question quotes inspire and motivate you to ask about the things you are unsure of. 100 Good Questions To Ask A Guy That Will Bring You Closer Together By Marisa Donnelly Updated October 7, 2020. 1. Follow Marisa on Instagram or read more articles from Marisa on Thought Catalog. endstream endobj 17 0 obj <>stream Ask me a question. Alfred … Just fun stuff. Why would a Christian author write a poem about a pagan hero? are described? Instead, she gets “smaller, more breakable with distance” enjoying here newfound independence. Knock! So then “how does the speaker feel about it?” Students will point to the fact that the mom is “waiting for the thud” of her daughter falling over, but she doesn’t fall off. 117. Paraphrase the poem if you can. This is a great way to get to know someone / a group of people. You don't need to have the answer by the end of the poem . In this poem, to fill a gap, to answer a question, one must ask more questions—the work of poetry, thus, in trying to answer questions… And when you get students to consider the title, they’ll see what the poem is REALLY about (this is a great poem for high school seniors.). Are there key moments in the poem where something seems to shift? Become a part of our community of millions and ask any question that you do not find in our Sonnet Q&A library. Browse from thousands of Sonnet questions and answers (Q&A). 2. TV host questions Pelosi's nickname for Trump allies. Questions to think about with all of the poems: Change: Is there movement or change in the course of the poem? Also, see handout on tone.) Get help with your Poetry homework. Write about what you know and really wonder about. 7 quotes have been tagged as stupid-questions: Terry Pratchett: ‘Questions don't have to make sense, Vincent, said Miss Susan. For instance, when the speaker of “The Road Not Taken” sighs at the end of the poem, is it a sigh of contentment, or regret? Study Guide for Of Modern Poetry. Many of my students don’t consider a poem to have a “plot” or an “event” that takes place, but the vast majority of poems do. Do you have a favorite book? In “Shall I Compare Thee To A Summer’s Day” the speaker does exactly that. You may ask them to choose one word to describe the main character in the poem. What are the elements of poetry? Seemingly simple poems can start meaningful conversations, such as “This Is Just to Say” by William Carlos Williams (is he really sorry? 2. Repeated exposure to any of these questions on any piece of literature is recommended for any … Sale. But if you haven’t read their book yet, this is the next best thing: I’ve compiled a list of good questions for authors that are surprising and unique. Does the speaker’s attitude towards his or her situation or experience change? What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow? It speaks to his quiet inner stillness, out of which his conviction, his steadfastness, his mysteriously reserved and resonant poetry speaks. 4. 3. Complete the summary of the poem, choosing words from the list given below. Do the Internet and social media contribute to the well-being of poetry? x��� |T��0~ι��sg&�owf2K2If�����@�0Q�� ; 17. How does that change come about? Notify me of follow-up comments by email. Beam me up Scotty. This is the perfect time to work from the “what” of the poem to the “how” of the poem and look at the figurative language, rhythm, rhymes, and so on. 7. FREE (34) petordream Easter Story Comic Strip. How to write a question poem? Try reading out aloud if possible. Grace Lin 11/9/20 Grace Lin 11/9/20. The most devastating event that I ever had to deal with was the murder of my one and only son in 2007. They find it difficult and it makes them feel dumb. Using these questions means that teachers do not need black-line masters, CD-ROMs, or pre-prepared quizzes to prepare students to identify a theme. Questioning conventional wisdom can even lead to being sidelined, isolated, or considered a threat. C�.���������-���b�z|�7��p56���f�\-ۂ��m����8NX SJA_F���]1�nE�U�[�����>N�]������L�;�|�l.�ۍ�$r[���g'SN��9v{i7�_6�-��i�y��5^&B0�w!H�� ��/��?`0���/���/݇�����jx_�����7�K��`����K�Ę���s F@��%:�� ��&���;{�߽F��-c��,|v����Ξ�v�_�m�h^�mG�����MOHE��ކ=%��zJ.���Kؘw\�e�:��&����0 �������>����0�����ێ0 What writers did you enjoy reading as a child? What bothers you most in your literature community? Carol Morris on June 19, 2016: Great questions, I enjoyed reading them and your answers. What is the tone of the poem? A good gut check when you’re revising your piece is to see if you executed your story in such a way that it lives up to your title/subtitle’s promise. Join. i need some questions to compare 2 poems . Please try again. How do the characters see their relationship to God (or the gods)? In a larger sense,  one of the valuable skills we can teach students is to be able to process what has happened in their lives and determine how they feel about it (and whether their feelings about it are appropriate.) What is the sex of poetry? Moved you to realizations? Page They understand conversations are not competitions to be won, but opportunities to … 'Ask me whether what I have done is my life.' The best leaders don’t engage in monologues; they stimulate conversations. February 15, 2016 By David Rickert Leave a Comment. I won't send you spam. It seems unfair to say unequivocally, as Dawson does, that "much discussion and analysis of a poem kill in-terest. A Question poem by Robert Frost. Once students can answer these two questions, they are prepared to look at the imagery and poetic devices used. To help readers learn to ask questions before, during, and after reading, think aloud the next time you are reading a book, article, or set of directions. To aid their comprehension, skillful readers ask themselves questions before, during, and after they read. What is the poet’s tone? Required fields are marked *. Even though many of the questions seem vapid, I can’t help thinking that what we want to know, ultimately, is how to live. Readers then need to organize responses to the verse into a logical, point-by-point explanation. Filed Under: poetry, teaching tips Tagged With: high school poetry, poetry, teaching poetry, Your email address will not be published. Discuss the poem. Nine years ago, I wrote a poem called "Sometimes" in which I talked about the "questions that can make or unmake a life ... questions that have no right to … Permission Form Join the Kid Reviewer Club Behind the podcast Open Menu Close Menu. Hello my name is Emma, and I am a fifty year old woman who has gone through a lot of trials and tribulations in my life. What makes you feel uneasy? What do you think to be the focus of the poem? A line in a piece of literature? What is the poem’s message and purpose? This web page provides a quick overview of poetry analysis. If you’d like a whole bunch of lessons on classic poems, check out my Poetry Comics Bundle. You may have a different understanding of the poem than the poet does. If you are teaching response to analysis and literary analysis, here are ten questions you should ask your students about the piece they are reading. 5. Discuss any words which seem especially well-chosen. Write each question on a post-it note and stick it on the text you have the question about. Tell me a story. I loved the Jungle Book and Just So Stories: I knew … How to write a question poem? To whom is the speaker speaking? Now check your email to confirm your subscription. Unsubscribe at any time. The poem includes 434 lines, and it was published in 1922. … Does the song make you aware of something you did not know before? Students need a better way to get into a poem and really understand it that doesn’t involve figuring out rhyme schemes and picking apart figurative language, at least not at first. If you’d like a preview, click on the box below and you’ll get Robert Frost’s “The Road Not Taken” for FREE!
2020 what are good questions to ask about a poem