Recently I have been making this curry in Instant pot and it comes out perfect each time. Kaya/Raw Banana are boiled with little water and tossed with seasoned oil. Hi. 1 tbsp oil (coconut oil (or any oil) I love thoran and feel like having it now. 1/4 tsp chilli powder (optional) Now many of the traditional sweets are forgotten or get overlooked for fancier ones in bakeries. Yes. Chop the long yard bean also. Cover and cook on med-low heat for 2-3 minutes. Vazakka /Ethakka /Kaya Mezhukkupuratti […] My birthday also comes in December, so it is a double celebration for me :) How is the Christmas planning coming along for everyone? :D. loved the addition of red beans with raw palntain! When making halwa there is a time-honored cooking technique and halwa making is time-consuming. Inviting dish! (Cook until it is almost done and all the water is absorbed.) Steaming kanji with slightly mashed cherupayar thoran, freshly grated coconut drizzled on top and some pickle and pappad on the side! note: do not over cook them as they become very soft and will eventually get mashy:). Twitter             : https://www.twitter.com/c4cooking 6 Oatmeal ideas for Toddler, Kids & family ! https://www.sujiscooking.com/achinga-or-payaru-thoran-recipe It is also a part of Onam Sadya menu too. 2. Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp Dried red chilies – 2, broken Urad dal – 1 tsp 5. Njan kurachu naal mumbu undakkiyatheyullu ee combo plus spinach koodi..Healthy and tasty thoran..Pic superb aayittundu.. Nice combo of curry! Coconut oil – 2 tbsp Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp Dried red chilly – 2, broken Urad dal, whole – 1 tsp Curry leaves – 1 sprig 3. In Kerala, plantain dishes are very popular and there are many classic traditional dishes made of Kaya and other tubers. Though am not a rice person, I find it hard to resist rice with payar thoran (be it cherupayar or vanpayar) and kachimoru. Ethakkatholi Thoran is unique, tasty and nutritious with finely chopped plantain peels blended with spicy coconut mixture. FAQs (Frequently asked questions) for Kaya thoran/ raw banana-plantain stir fry You can use any raw/plantain or green banana’s . Ingredients (Serves 4) 1. Bananas, ripened or raw, the flower (also known as Vazha Chundu or Vazha poovu or … note : this is a dry mixture, do not add water while grinding, Step 2) Fill a bowl with cold water and a tsp of salt. Close … Peel the plantain and chop it into small cubes. Coconut oil – 1 tbsp 4. If you love indulging in spicy exotic food, then you don't want to miss on this yummy prawns masala. Payar thoran is a comfort food for me. Required fields are marked *. It is my favourite kootan from my childhood. add salt to taste. 1/2 tsp mustard seeds The reason for using these varieties is because they tend to be firmer when cooked, as compared to the rest. Vanpayar/ Red cowpeas/ Red gram- 1cup. Green gram / cherupayar – 1/4 cup, heaped 3. It got me intrigued by this cuisine and I wanted to recreate some at home. Preparation of Payar Kaya thoran. I think you have a fondness for beans..I see a lot of recipes that use them. Once they are cooked, drain the water (keep a tbsp of water in the pan) and return to heat. I had been to Udupi and Mangalore and experienced a unique, diverse culture. Ohh.. 1) What are the various raw banana’s that can be used for this fish mash? Pinterest          : https://www.pinterest.com/c4cooking Turn off the heat and add curry leaves. yum!! Kaya thoran (Plantain/raw banana stir fry) is a simple yet delicious kerala recipe made with plantain/raw banana and a tasty coconut marinade with some hint of spices. Cherupayar vazhakka thoran is a simple whole green gram stir fry with raw banana and coconut. When it boils, reduce the heat and cook on medium for 5 minutes. Ingredients Kayatholi- 4 to 5 raw plantains Red beans/Van payar-handfull of Shallots-10 Dry red chilli-3 Salt-to taste Water- Turmeric Powder-1/4tsp Curry leaves-two strings Coconut Oil-2tbsp Method Soak payar for 3-4 hours .. Pressure cook it and keep aside.. Take water in a bowl and add salt into it.. When it was time to prepare thoran, I remembered my mother’s special ethakka aviyal, which we all loved! 8 Lunch/Dinner Recipes for 11 to 18months baby .. 6 Lunch/Dinner recipes for 18-24 months baby. Love this combo. Vaalakachi odachathu/Pacha Kaya odachathu/ kaya odachathu/ vaalakka odachathu, Ramadan Nombu Kanji Recipes / Kerala Tamil Nadu nombu kanji recipe | c4cooking. 1 sprig curry leaves, Method: Vazhakka Thoran| Poriyal, Ethakka thoran is a traditional Kerala style stir fry with coconut served with rice. Add 1/2 tbsp of coconut oil(or any oil) ,mix gently and cover and cook on low for 30 seconds. WOW!!! Step 1) To the blender, add the coconut, cumin seeds, turmeric powder, chilli powder, garlic clove and pulse few times and grind for 20-30 sec. Vazhakoombu Cherupayar thoran (Banana Flower with Lentils) is a super delicious, highly nutritious thoran. In Kerala, most of the houses will have Banana trees in their backyard. At my place we make Cherupayar (green gram) thoran more often, so I also tend to do that. But again, the perfect vindaloo curry strikes the right balance with chilies, aromatic spices, and vinegar- a perfect balance of acidity, spicy heat, and flavor of earthy spices. But making your own is a rewarding experience. It is lip-smacking delicious, tenderly cooked meat in a spicy gravy. Adipoli aytunde,, njan ethu vare ee comboo kazhichitilla tto... Love ethakka! Shallots- 4 Nos. Beef Vindaloo is a quintessential dish for Christmas feasts in Kerala. Healthy dish.. A very interesting combo..sounds delicious!US Masala, This sounds and looks so delicious . Mezhukkupuratti is yet another wonderful Kerala (South India) recipe which means coated with oil. Heat the contents and once the water starts boiling, stir the contents, reduce the heat to low. Achinga payar / long runner beans – 1 small bunch, cut into thin rounds 3. Kaya Achinga Payar Mezhukkupuratti Recipe – Raw banana and long beans stir fry recipe made in Kerala Style.Achinga Payar Kaya Mezhukkupuratti is a tasty side dish for rice.. Long beans (cowpea string beans) are called achinaga payar … All Payar dishes/ Lentils are family favourites like Vanpayar thoran, Olan, koottu Erissery, Churakka Erissery, Vanpayar Ularthiyathu, Padavalanga Parippu curry etc. Raw Banana- 3 Nos. Heat a small pan and add 1/2 tbsp of coconut oil (or any oil). Add some pickle also, it's soul food! Ethakka is one of mallu's favorite veggie and is commonly grown in the backyards of almost every home. I wanted to try making thoran with them. Ingredients (Serves 4) 1. If you like Vazhakka/ Kaya/ Green Banana dishes, check Vanpayar Kaya thoran , Achingapayar Kaya Mezhukkupuratti , Kaya Ularthiyathu , Beef Kaya ularthiyathu etc. Grated coconut – 3/4 – 1 cup Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp Garlic – 2 – 3 small, […] Add the dry coconut mixture (prepared in step 1) and stir for few seconds. Add the coconut mixture and saute for a minute or two. One is the Nendran variety and the other one is known as Njaalippoovan/ Yalakki. Cook banana with turmeric powder,chilly powder,salt and 1/2cup water. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ There are 2 comments for this article . nice and new combo. Cook chopped ethakka tholi/raw plantain peel with just enough water,1/4 tsp turmeric powder and salt to taste. 1 medium garlic clove Ethakkatholi Thoran or Banana Skin Stir Fry is a delicious traditional styled vegetarian side dish that goes well with hot rice and curd. I bought just 2 plantains since my hubby is a not so great lover of plantains. Coarsely grind coconut with cumin seeds and garlic. Wanna try this combo soon. Kaya tholi thoran is a yummy stir fry.after making raw banana curry or banan chips or any other recipes with raw banana heaps of plantain peel will be left.out of this we can make yummy stir fry instead of throughout that into waste. Mixed thorans always have double nutrition and tastes great too. For seasoning. note: the raw banana’s are sticky, wash your hands and knife soon after cutting them, Step 3) Drain the raw banana’s and transfer them to a heavy pan and fill with 2-3 cups of water, add 1/2 tsp salt and heat on high. Adding red beans to plantain sounds very interesting, droolworthy dish.. Apr 15, 2013 - ETHAKKA THOLI THORAN | KAYA THOLI THORAN | kurryleaves How many of you look forward to the Season of Joy! Halwas has always amazed me with its simplicity, unique texture and taste. Step 4) Tadka / Garnish part: Kerala is a land of plantains and this yummy thoran is the best way of using plantain peels. Some varieties for your reference – dole-raw banana or green banana , plantain (also known as kaya, ethakka, nendran) and saba plantain banana’s. The magic ingredients are the earthy spices and flavorful ghee or clarified butter. We do this to remove some amount of starch. I am so encouraged to buy raw bananas now after reading this post:). So I decided to make it a plantain day with three plantain dishes - aviyal, plantain thoran and plantain peel thoran. It is a popular seafood delicacy of Mangalore. (It should be medium soft). Learn how your comment data is processed. Ethakka – 1.5 medium 2. Thoran looks so inviting dear. I have already posted recipes like Chicken ghee roast and Mangalore fish curry. 1/3 tsp turmeric powder As I have mentioned before, vazhakkai is a popular and loved vegetable in Kerala and find its way into most dishes are that made with a mix of vegetables. Facebook         :http://www.facebook.com/c4cooking Bananas are widely used in South Indian cuisine. https://plus.google.com/116155429178625736360/posts, Kaya Thoran recipe / Pacha kaya thoran /Ethakka thoran/ Vaazhakka thoran recipe. https://www.blendwithspices.com/vazhakka-thoran-vazhakkai-poriyal-recipe Cut the banana into small cubed pieces (Don't peel the skin) Firstly boil the cubed banana in a pot (add necessary water and salt) Crush together the grated coconut,green chilly,shallots,garlic cumin seeds and turmeric powder keep it aside. Royalty-free music by ‘Jason Shaw’- audionautix.com. It is one Indian curry that needs no introduction. 1/3 cup coconut shreds/pieces Great combo, looks healthy and delicious... luv the combination, looks colorful and healthy! Hi,The thoran looks yummy...:)Dr.Sameena@http://www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com. It is lip-smacking delicious with the right balance of heat and flavor. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds,let it splutter.Now add curry leaves and dry red chilies and saute for few seconds. Empty them to a bowl and keep aside. The  traditional slow-cooked stove top recipe  and  an Instant pot recipe . ******************************************************************************************* Vindaloo may sound complicated, but it is an easy recipe. Ethakka/Kaaya/Vazhakka Mezhupuratti can be made with two types of raw banana. She uses the peel of the plantain as it has many health benefits. Love to have that with some curd and rice. This is sort of a comfort food and I make it spicy with all the tempering. Kaya Thoran Recipe / Kerala kaya thoran / Pacha kaya thoran / ethakka thoran recipe  / kaaya mezhukupuratti /vaazhaka thoran / iftar recipes / Kanji kootu, Kaya thoran (Plantain/raw banana stir fry) is a simple yet delicious kerala recipe made with plantain/raw banana and a tasty coconut marinade with some hint of spices. Authentic Goan Vindaloo is made with pork, but you can also use beef or mutton. I have one in my draft, but the pic is not good :(. RSS feed        :  https://www.c4cooking.com/feed, If you are curious about the taste of kanji/porridges, try these recipes below…, masala kanji/spice-mix porridge/ iftar recipe, Chukku Kanji / Dry ginger porridge/ nombu kanji, Pingback: Ramadan Nombu Kanji Recipes / Kerala Tamil Nadu nombu kanji recipe | c4cooking, Your email address will not be published. I like to eat this thoran with Kanji’s or Porridges:) … Are you a fan of Kanji-thoran combo?…comment below:), Kaya Thoran Recipe / Kerala kaya thoran / pacha kaya thoran /ethakka thoran recipe  / kaya mezhukupuratti / vaazhaka thoran / iftar recipes / Kanji kootu, 2 Raw banana (plantain/kaya/ethakka/vaalaka/cooking banana) I also love the raw banana and beans combination with my all time favorite coconut. Ethakka and vanpayar or red beans together forms a delicious combination for thoran. its a new one for me as i have never cooked with raw plantains! But that is not the case w, Prawns Ghee Roast - Mangalorean Spicy Prawns Masala, Kerala Beef Vindaloo- Anglo-Indian Recipe, Kerala Black Halwa/ Karutha Halwa/ Rice Flour Halwa, Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. Google plus     : https://plus.google.com/116155429178625736360/posts Kaya Thoran Recipe / Kerala kaya thoran / Pacha kaya thoran / ethakka thoran recipe / kaaya mezhukupuratti /vaazhaka thoran / iftar recipes / Kanji kootu Kaya thoran (Plantain/raw banana stir fry) is a simple yet delicious kerala recipe made with plantain/raw banana and a tasty coconut marinade with some hint of spices. Click here for homemade baby food recipes, 3 breakfast cereals for 15 - 24 months baby, 3 Fish/Chicken/Meat Meals for 9 - 12 months baby, 4 Chicken & Egg recipes for 15-24 months baby. After 5 minutes, check if the banana’s are cooked by inserting a knife into a piece. Wonderful, healthy and yummy dish. Turn off the heat. Green chilies- 4Nos. It is exactly three weeks for Christmas and I am planning to share a few recipes for the holidays this year. Thoran is a Kerala style stir fry of veggies with coconut and forms a quick side dish for rice. Mustard seeds, curry leaf, dry red chilly & coconut oil. (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Please subscribe to ‘c4cooking’ – Social Media Pages: Dice the banana’s into the salted water and let soak for 5 minutes. Thoran is usually served along with steamed rice. This recipe is a Kerala style dry curry / … The one available here don't taste as good the ones back home! It is almost pickle like with flavor of vinegar and ground mustard. Mangalore is a food lovers paradise. looking tasty and delicious. It is popular among Christians and the Anglo-I, Kerala Black Halwa/ Karutha Halwa/ Rice Flour Halwa December has finally arrived and it means it is almost Christmas time! Today I am sharing two ways to cook this recipe. We had hearty meals and the food was excellent. Serve warm…. Their spicy seafood delicacies will make you crave for more. 2) Should we soak the banana’s in salted water? Dec 1, 2018 - Ingredients (Serves 5 – 6) 1. Grated […] Your email address will not be published. That’s odd as I would like to look at how the dish looks like when I go through the recipe. Pour this onto the cooked raw banana’s and stir gently for few seconds. Healthy and delicious combination.. looks too good :), I've heard abt this thoran, but never had it..seems like i should try after seeing ur blog..http://jellybelly-shanavi.blogspot.com. Plantain / pacha ethnakka – 1 medium, peeled 2. Your dishes close-up pics makes me drool nonstop ya! Ethakka / raw banana – 1 medium-large, cubed Water – Around 1.5 cups or as required Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp Chilly powder – 3/4 tsp Curry leaves – A few Salt – To taste 2. keep the heat on low and stir for few seconds. Grated coconut […] When the pieces turn soft, uncover and keep on low fire till the water evaporates completely. Normally we use pandikka / vazhakkai for thoran and mezhukkupuratti. Vanpayar Kaya Thoran (Kaya Payar Puzhukku) VanPayar and Kaya thoran or Kaya Payar Puzhukku is a super delicious, highly nutritious side dish for rice or Kanji. Peel the skin of raw banana’s (make sure to cut close to peel and not the flesh). The picture is not available when I click on the recipe. Finely chop tholi and add this to… Suja,This thoran looks so delicious.I liked your Mutton stew as well..keep coming up with such yummy recipes :-)..hugs and smiles. When hot add 1/2 tsp mustard seeds and let it splutter. Turmeric powder- ¼ tea spoon. Seeja Nanoo 7th May 2019 at 6:13 am . I love this thoran whenever my mom keeps it for my lunch box. My father had gallbladder surgery. u just sent me home mentally..i want to eat this too, Thanks all for stopping by and for the wonderful comments:), Prawns Ghee Roast -Mangalorean Spicy Prawns Masala Today's recipe is an aromatic and extremely flavorful Prawns ghee roast. It is a port city and the melting pot of several cultures and unique cuisines. Source/Adopted from: Saraswathy Viswanathan . She uses the peel to make Banana peel thoran or coconut stir fry. In a cooking vessel/pan, add pachakaya /raw banana cubes and achinga payar /long beans with little water along with turmeric powder and salt, cover bring to boil and cook for 5 minutes. :D Simply tempting beans! Cumin seed- 1 pinch. Serve ethakka tholi thoran hot with steaming rice. I miss home now :((Back home we used to have kanji and payar mostly during lent season, also the days that follows Easter and Christmas. So people simply prefer to buy it from the shop. You can make a restaurant-style curry right in your kitchen. Following recipe is for preparation of Payar (Long yard beans) and ethakka (Raw plantain) thoran (stir fry). YouTube          : http://www.youtube.com/user/c4cooking This is the first one I wanted to share with all of you -Kerala style sweet delicacy- a real nostalgia, the Black Halwa. Grated coconut- 1 cup. 1/2 tsp cumin seeds Vazhakka payar thoran (Raw banana with red gram) Ingredients. Let me know your comments or thoughts after trying this. Ethakka thoran is another Kerala recipe with raw bananas or paandi vazhakka. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. A different combination for a change...I like it. After that, as his diet needs to be rich with dietary fibre, my mother started using the banana peel or plantain peel to make the banana peel thoran or ethakka tholi thoran. It is a gel-like sweet candy that you can never stop eating. The cuisine of coastal regions like Mangalore has fish as an indispensable part of an everyday, Kerala Beef Vindaloo Vindaloo is often synonymous with fiery, bold, pungent curries.
2020 ethakka payar thoran