Soccer players should eat foods with a low to medium GI before a match. I'm 9 years old. When i was training with my club team in college I remember trying to find the balance of what I could eat without feeling like I was going to throw up by the end of practice. The added fruit will give you that quick jolt of energy you need to get your engine started. What to Eat Before a Morning Soccer Game. Wear street shoes to the game. Fatty foods. That's what soccer players, marathoners, and body builders alike repeatedly ask. Never play on a full stomach, its the worst. Two to 3 hours before your event, eat 2 to 3 … Drink lots of liquid and make sure that you have a lot of energizing, healthy foods. Lv 4. If you are a recreational soccer player, you might arrive at a game after eating a large meal and find you're too full to run well during a 90-minute outdoor contest or a 48-minute indoor one. Avoid experimenting before big games. I would usually eat 30 to 45 minutes before to let things settle. If your child has an early morning game or practice, here's some advice on what and when she should eat for peak athletic performance. WHEN to eat before a game. Don’t eat everything on the list before the game, of course—it’s intended as a guide to food choices depending on how much time you have and how hungry you are. WHAT TO EAT & DRINK BEFORE A GAME . The best way to make sure you stay properly hydrated is to practice how you play. Community Answer. Tweet; Knowing what you should and shouldn't be eating before training or a big game can sometimes prove to be a challenge. How to Eat Right Before a Soccer Game. It's a complex issue and I wanted to make it easy to understand, but not over simplified. The milk curdles in your stomach. 4 years ago. For example, if you go to sleep at 9:00, you should wake up at least at 7:00 in the morning. By Coach V; SoccerU.com; OK, I'll admit it. idk what to eat! ok i do odyssey which is a group for soccer. It really boils down to two things: (i) your personal preference and (ii) what exactly you’re eating (smoothies, for example are quite quickly digested). Eat a carbohydrate-rich dinner the night before and drink extra water throughout the previous day. Here are some items to avoid eating as part of a pregame meal. 6 Answers. Worked for me I guess. Eat dry cereal, a bagel with peanut butter or oatmeal before bed. 5 years ago. How you fuel your body before a game or practice can still have major performance benefits. With a membership to Soccer Drive you can create and share your own practice plans. Advice varies on when to begin tucking in to your pre game meal. Think of a soccer snack as a mini-meal that helps provide nutrients and the energy children need to learn, focus and play well. Always experiment with new foods during practices to avoid digestive upset on the big day. What to eat before soccer practice!? I used to eat bread alot before basketball practices. Dinner the night before The night before, serve your child a nutritious dinner. 5 snacks to eat before tennis competition: Oatmeal with fruit. To figure out your weight in kilograms, divide your weight in pounds by 2.2. Just make healthy decisions this week. Most research shows that the muscle glycogen levels of (male) soccer players are no better than the spectators in the stands - not good. Soccer requires speed, endurance, a consistent energy supply and focus. Two days before a game, you should really load up on carbs that will keep you with enough energy for the next game. Players should eat enough to feel their hunger is satisfied, but not overeat or stuff themselves. Studies on soccer players have shown that those with the most pre-game muscle glycogen run the farthest at the fastest speeds during a game. A healthy breakfast for a soccer player might include 1 1/2 cups of whole-grain, ready-to-eat cereal with 3/4 cup of blueberries and 1 1/2 cups of low-fat milk, along with one slice of whole-wheat toast topped with 1 ounce of low-fat cheese for 555 calories. Try giving him water with every meal and then 16 ounces two hours before exercise and 8-16 ounces 15 minutes before the activity. You're supposed to eat 2 hours before soccer practice or games and you are supposed to eat a lot of carbohydrates. A player must eat before and after practice to maintain energy levels, weight and muscle mass. we r pretty hard core and i have soccer in 2 hours so plz help me out!! Dress at home in your game gear except for your shin guards and cleats, and any ankle or knee supports. Answer Save. These training sessions consist of drills, exercises, activities, and videos that can also be found on our soccer drills page. Opt for a liquid snack -- such as a smoothie. Details at the bottom! 3-4 Hours Before the Game . You can find these in bread, bagels etc. 2 or More Hours Before Game Time How many hours of sleep should I get? 6) Eat clean. You also might rush to the game without having eaten all day. • Dinner: Lean protein, nutrient-dense carbohydrate (whole grains, vegetables and fruits) and low-fat dairy. Robyn. A softball performance coach recommends eating something light, but high in carbs before a competition so you feel energized but not bloated. Hydration is another vital aspect of nutrition that soccer players must pay attention to. Eat well before the game to maintain your energy level. Soccer America Pro members may read, share and comment on all articles from these paid premium newsletters. This video will show you What To Eat Before a Race, Track Meet, Football game, soccer game, practice, or any workout. Thanks! A good intentioned, but poorly informed, flyer put out by a grocery chain about eating right. No need to fatten up before the gauntlet. Excellent ball-handling skills and an enjoyment of running help players perform at their best, and so does proper nutrition. Different places will tell you different things, so becoming confused about how to best prepare your body before playing sport is something many of us have faced. Make sure that your child is drinking water throughout the day and leading up to the game or practice. Maybe some light pasta or salad with some bread. Good Foods to Eat Before Football Practice. The best way to decide when you should eat before a game is to experiment with your eating schedule and practices for your sports team. Two days before a game, you should really load up on carbs that will keep you with enough energy for the next game. Lots of protein, vegetables, and healthy fats this week- and every week for that matter! Not Helpful 5 Helpful 40. Allow time to get to the venue ideally about 45 minutes early, allowing extra time for potential traffic delays. In soccer, this is not a common practice unfortunately. Afterwards, eat a food high in carbs again -- fruit juice, cereal bars, and bagels all help restore your glycogen stores. Yes No. Things to Eat Before Volleyball Practice; When to Eat & Exercise With P90X; Diets for College Athletes; Couch to 5K Diet; William Giakas/iStock/Getty Images . Your body will thank you! Eat your last full meal about three hours before the game and a light snack about an hour before. I've put this article off for almost two years. You should practice for many days before the game, and warm-up with a bit of practice before the game. Consider your nutritional strategies for before and after training sessions and games. Especially soccer thats a lot of running. 12 foods you should eat before playing sport. For example, if you weigh 130 pounds, your weight in kilograms is 59. Eat … Suggested foods: Some kind of pasta is a good lunch or dinner choice. Professional Track and … Question. Also, eat a banana because it has potassium in it which prevents you from cramping up while you play Try eating a snack high in carbohydrates and decide if you feel more energized. Not good on an empty or full stomach though. What triggered my urge to get it done? Try eating something light like fruit but not too much because it gives you cramps. Also, at the game, have both water and a sports drink. Game day nutrition varies depending on the sport, but generally you should be eating a low-protein, low-fat meal the night before as well as 4-6 hours before the game. It seems easy, but athletes often forget to steer clear of any high-fat foods. Lv 4. Because football is one of the most grueling, calorie-consuming sports, proper nutrition is crucial to optimal athletic performance. Relevance. Drink Water Throughout the Day . Four hours before your event, eat 4 grams of carbohydrates for each kilogram of your weight. We do touch on this in The Soccer Vortex with a whole section dedicated to nutrition. Do not drink milk before going to soccer! Even granola bars are good. Spaghetti and other pastas or high carb foods are good the night before but don't eat them right before. The drills have been carefully selected and organized to meet the age and skill level of the practice session. What to eat before soccer practice!? What's best to eat for recovery after a hard workout? Below is a list of free soccer practice plans for all age levels. Thanks! Very light and thin. 9-11 hours of sleep is a good amount for someone your age. Not all meals are created … If it is a larger meal (lunch or dinner), eat at least 2 to 3 hours before the game; if it is a snack (you already had lunch or dinner earlier), eat the snack 1 hour before the game. These snacks are “list toppers” as they have more nutrients than traditional snacks, and many have more “staying” power to keep kids full longer during a practice or a game – not to mention plenty of kid-appeal. If your soccer practice is in the morning, eat your meal one to three hours before. Ideal for a morning snack before an afternoon competition, oatmeal is well-tolerated and provides long-lasting energy. Healthy Lunch for Better Play. A football player doing two practices a day might need as many as 10,000 calories in one day. 0 0. When English soccer player Wayne Rooney, another one of the highest-paid soccer players in the world, played alongside Ronaldo for Manchester United, he noticed a ritual Ronaldo had before … Bedtime snack. Despite there being some variation, pretty much all of the experts agree that you should eat in the 1-4 hour period before you play a game. They read ads for commercial recovery foods that demand a 3-to-1 ratio of carbs to protein, tout the benefits of a proprietary formula, or emphasize immediate consumption the minute you stop exercising. If you multiply 59 by 4, you would need about 236 grams of carbohydrates in your precompetition meal. This allows for a relatively slow release of glucose into the blood and avoids the insulin surge. Imagine running your fitness test bloated and sluggish.. no thank you!! Consuming carbohydrate at least an hour before kick off allows any hormonal imbalance to return to normal. • Pre-practice snack: Trail mix, banana and sports drink. Kathleen. Include large portions of grains or pasta, vegetables and small to medium portions of beans, chicken, fish, or meat.