Saul hunted him day after day, but God didn't let him be found. God has not forgotten you. (1-4) God directs David to fight against the Philistines and deliver the city of Keliah. Meanwhile, David and his men had moved into the wilderness of Maon in the Arabah Valley south of Jeshimon. 10 And David prayed, "O LORD, God of Israel, I have heard that Saul is planning to come and destroy Keilah because I am here. What do you learn about pleasing God? They had taken it and tried to set it up in their temple. David continues to be protected by the Lord. The birth and early years of Samuel (1:1–7:14). Sincere obedience was the prerequisite for worship that pleased God. Then they told David, saying, “Look, the Philistines are fighting against Keilah, and they are robbing the threshing floors.” Then Jonathan returned home, while David stayed at Horesh. How often do you take time to examine yourself before God? Jonathan encouraged David "in God" (cf. How did God deliver David? Saul abandoned his plans to attack Keilah, and David moved on to the wilderness near Ziph. KJV Standard; KJV 1611; Mobile Site; Bible Trivia; Discussion; More... 1 Samuel King James Version (KJV) 1 Samuel Chapter 23 Discussion < Back to 1 Samuel Chapter 23 Enter New Comment . Only God can see the big picture. * And will Saul actually come as I have heard? 8 So Saul mobilized his entire army to march to Keilah and attack David and his men. 1 Samuel 20:2; 1 Samuel 20:31). Saul said, “GOD bless you for thinking about me! David trapped himself when he went into a city surrounded by a wall with gates and bars to lock them.” 8 Saul called all his army together for battle. 1 Samuel 15:23, then, lays out the consequence for Saul’s disobedience. 1 Chronicles 9:22 suggests he organized the Levites in the service of the sanctuary which was completed by David and Solomon. What were the consequences disobedience in the Bible for Saul? 1 When David was told, “Look, the Philistines are fighting against Keilah and are looting the threshing floors,” 2 he inquired of the Lord, saying, “Shall I go and attack these Philistines?” The Lord answered him, “Go, attack the Philistines and save Keilah.” 3 But David’s men said to him, “Here in Judah we are afraid. Yet, he survives by continually seeking God’s will. Samuel’s heritage lived on in a remarkable way. B. "Yes, go and save Keilah," the LORD told him. But when the ark of God stood opposite the staring-eyed, ugly, grotesque fish god of the Philistines, the fish god could not stand it. Psalm 54; Philippians 4:6), and he proceeded to serve God ( 1 Samuel 23:2; 1 Samuel 23:5; cf. The presence of the ephod made it possible for David to continue to obtain guidance from the Lord in answer to his prayers. 5 So David and his men went to Keilah. 1-samuel 23:17 And he said unto him, Fear not: for the hand of Saul my father shall not find thee; and thou shalt be king over Israel, and I shall be next unto thee; and … 1 Chronicles 9:22 suggests he organized the Levites in the service of the sanctuary which was completed by David and Solomon. 1 Samuel 1–2:11 What does it mean to keep choosing God in the midst of successes and failures? Psalm 54tells us what David was thinking and praying during this experience. What do you learn about pleasing God? 1 One day news came to David that the Philistines were at Keilah stealing grain from the threshing floors. In 1 Samuel 23: 7 Saul still thinks God is on his side. Now go back and check everything out. "At last someone is concerned about me! “Gad” is later called David’s seer (1 Chron. Then I'll go with you. 1. He is constantly orchestrating events to work together to fulfill his purpose. 16 Jonathan went to find David and encouraged him to stay strong in his faith in God. 18 So the two of them renewed their covenant of friendship before the LORD. Saul, having made himself drunk with the blood of the priests of the Lord, is here, in this chapter, seeking David’s life, who appears here doing good, and suffering ill, at the same time. Did David do it (19)? He also described himself as the Lord"s "servant" twice. 2 David asked the LORD, "Should I go and attack them?" He had 2 wives. Samuel was one of the most God-centered leaders of the Old Testament, a man with godly character and the respect of those he served. 23 “Do what seems best to you,” her husband Elkanah told her. 25 When David heard that Saul and his men were searching for him, he went even farther into the wilderness to the great rock, and he remained there in the wilderness of Maon. ” 24 So David hid himself in the field. ., p175.]. 1. (Elkanah was a man who took his family to worship and sacrifice to the Lord every year. An Unlikely Advocate - 1 Samuel 25; God Meant It for Good - Genesis 37, 50; To be used with: Session Two "It's Not About Me" Scriptures: 1 Samuel 24:1–22. What might be wrong with Saul’s requests to Samuel? he exclaimed. (Elkanah, Peninnah and Hannah) What do you learn about them? 1 Samuel 23 – David Saves Keliah; David Escapes from Saul A. David saves Keliah from the Philistines. God manifested His will through the Urim and Thummim in the priestly ephod ( 1 Samuel 23:6; 1 Samuel 23:9; cf. God had revealed to David, that in the end, the LORD is judge of all. 19 But now the men of Ziph went to Saul in Gibeah and betrayed David to him. David Flees from Saul (1 Samuel 21‐23) 5. 8 So Saul mobilized his entire army to march to Keilah and attack David and his men. David then moved on to Engedi, 14miles east of Ziph, to increase his safety. What was David’s response to what he saw (24:17)? We can be blind to our own condition too. 15:24-25 Put this story into your own words. He didn’t stop seeking the Lord as he matured. 18 So the two of them renewed their covenant of friendship before the LORD. Then I'll go with you. He subsequently collaborated in an account of the deeds of David (1 Chron. In 1 Samuel 23: 7 Saul still thinks God is on his side. Verse 2~David had the admirable quality of inquiring of Jehovah God. Saul fails to obey and honor God, and the kingdom is given to another man. Copyright StatementThese files are public domain.Text Courtesy of BibleSupport.com. Exodus 28:30). As Samuel returned to his place, something very important had … (1-4) God directs David to fight against the Philistines and deliver the city of Keliah. Really it was David who was in need of compassion from these people, but he found none. Did David do it (19)? What do you think about Saul’s behaviour? When it's easy and when it's not? In 1 Samuel 12:22, Samuel was speaking to people who were afraid because of their evil deeds. Anne Lamotte said "You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do." Results for 1 Samuel 23. Here’s 5 Lessons We Learn From the book of 2 Samuel. Again Saul spoke piously (cf. “Because you have rejected the word of the LORD, he has rejected you as king.” The birth and early years of Samuel (1:1–7:14). David prayed again and requested answers to two questions ( 1 Samuel 23:10-11). He fell flat on his face and ended up with a broken neck. 7 Saul soon learned that David was at Keilah. 26 He and David were now on opposite sides of a mountain. A call from God. Instead, he helped David escape from Saul. Jonathan"s encouragement of David23:15-18. She said to her husband, “After the boy is weaned, I will take him and present him before the Lord, and he will live there always.” []. In 1 Samuel we read that the ark had been captured by the Philistine tribes. 1 Samuel 23:2; 1 Samuel 23:4; 1 Samuel 23:11-12). The high priest carried them in the pocket on the front of his ephod (apron). 20 Come down whenever you're ready, O king, and we will catch him and hand him over to you!" What do you learn about his men? 28 So Saul quit the chase and returned to fight the Philistines. For this reason God could and did work through David as His vice-regent. Just as Saul and his men began to close in on David and his men, lights) and Thummim (lit. Samuel was one of the most God-centered leaders of the Old Testament, a man with godly character and the respect of those he served. 23 See therefore, and take knowledge of all the lurking places where he hideth himself, and come ye again to me with the certainty, and I will go with you: and it shall come to pass, if he be in the land, that I will search him out throughout all the thousands of Judah. 1 Samuel • ... them and return the money they robbed. Saul my father also knows this.” 1 Samuel 23:17 “The Community” is a small group material created by Cru. David inquired of the Lord, "Shall I go and attack these Philistines?" Word soon reached Saul that David had escaped, so he didn't go to Keilah after all. Twelve thousand men against the small band who had fled with David would have been a disaster for David. She said to her husband, “After the boy is weaned, I will take him and present him before the Lord, and he will live there always.” []. Thank you for joining us today. Romans 12:17-21 – Never avenge yourselves. She begged forgiveness on behalf of her entire household, and God used that moment to show David how wrong it would be to take revenge in his own way and kill these innocent servants. . 5 So David and his men went to Keilah. David lived halfway between the time of Abraham, with whom God made his original covenant, and Jesus, who fulfilled that covenant on the cross. I’m sure there were days that David felt forgotten by God. 21 "The LORD bless you," Saul said. "He is in the strongholds of Horesh on the hill of Hakilah, which is in the southern part of Jeshimon. Themes in 1 Samuel . David left Keilah after he learned that he would be vulnerable if he stayed there ( 1 Samuel 23:13). What do you think about Saul’s behaviour? Jonathan risked his own safety to encourage his friend again. Outline of 1 Samuel. "We've got him now! There are slight variations in the way biblical scholars divide the contents of 1 Samuel. He’s very shrewd, you know. 1 Samuel 22. In 1 Samuel we see the story of God’s people. 7 Saul soon learned that David was at Keilah. "My father will never find you! Jonathan cooperated with God"s plans, but Saul resisted them. In ch23 , David, even while on the run from Saul, is shown saving a city from Philistine attack. 23 See therefore, and take knowledge of all the lurking places where he hideth himself, and come ye again to me with the certainty, and I will go with you: and it shall come to pass, if he be in the land, that I will search him out throughout all the thousands of Judah. He is misguided and blind to his own condition and the reality of the situation he is in. Why do you think God showed this to David? David and Goliath: Bold Faith (1 Samuel 17) 3. Leave it to the wrath of God; Matthew 5:38-39 – Turn the other cheek. Go to, To report dead links, typos, or html errors or suggestions about making these resources more useful use our convenient, "We have just witnessed how Saul, in an outburst of rage, became responsible for the destruction of the priestly city of Nob. He also did it by distracting David"s enemy ( 1 Samuel 23:27-28). Without complaint David obeyed his father when Jesse asked David to take food to his brothers and check on them (1 Samuel 17:17-20). "1 This is a most difficult time for David. He did not take revenge on the citizens of Keilah for telling Saul where he was. This is the last meeting of these "soul brothers" that the text records. 11 Will the men of Keilah surrender me to him? God is sovereign. And if he is in the area at all, I'll track him down, even if I have to search every hiding place in Judah!" He placed himself under God"s authority, though Saul did not. And if he is in the area at all, I'll track him down, even if I have to search every hiding place in Judah!". 1 Samuel 23. Had his counsel been followed, the result would have been critical for David. "We know where David is hiding," they said. Session Two. O LORD, God of Israel, please tell me." As Saul pursued David, Israel was invaded by the Philistines and Saul had to leave his pursuits of David to protect the country. No part of this publication may be God had used Abiathar to encourage David recently in Keilah ( 1 Samuel 23:6). Read chapter 1, then discuss these questions: King James Bible Online. Please print this section if you would like to study the Book of 1 Samuel with a group of people. In fact, I believe the two sections of the chapter are very much related, as we shall soon see.