Carol Ann Duffy: Poems essays are academic essays for citation. 'Head of English' falls under the latter category and tells the story of her visit to a school back in the 1980s [1985 was when the poem was published]. 1 Comment. Revision:Carol Ann Duffy Revision Notes. "Medusa" first appeared in Carol Ann Duffy's 1999 collection The World's Wife.The poem is a dramatic monologue written in the voice of Medusa, a mythical figure with venomous snakes for hair and whose stare turns people to stone. The sheep look like little clouds, don’t they? She was raised in Glasgow, in a deprived area called Gorbals. Poem Name: Welltread by Duffy. “With a mind as cold as the slice of ice within my own brain. sleeping Download. In doing so, the speaker critiques traditional, idealized images of love and argues for more complete and honest portrayals of its effects. Carol Ann was the eldest child, and had four brothers. “Valentine” is a free verse dramatic monologue written by Scottish poet, author, and playwright Carol Ann Duffy. The word “tell” shows how it is a command, the persona has no choice in the matter. A poem for the texting generation Carol Ann Duffy’s short poem ‘Text’ might be the first great poem written about texting and text messages. Sleeping – Carol Ann Duffy Mini Analysis. An Analysis of Stealing by Carol Ann Duffy The thief is so lonely that he wants a snowman as a mate which builds a compassion between the reader until the use of negative connotations in the next line. The poet Carol Anne Duffy presents two different attitudes towards religion in her poems “Prayer” and “Confession.” In “Prayer,” Duffy contemplates how, in the absence of organised religion, comfort can instead be found in ordinary, prosaic occurrences. Girl Talking: “Eid day”- festival or Ramadan. A Critical Analysis of Carol Ann Duffy's 'In Mrs Tilscher's Class' 'Brady and Hindley faded like a faint, uneasy smudge of a mistake'. It juxtaposes the “dark” with the “warm” and could be suggesting the literal darkness of night and the heat that emanates from the bed, making the persona appear comfortable, warm and snug. Duffy appears to be breaking down the barriers we have about discussing personal and sexual relationships and exploring this taboo subject in a way that makes it relatable to people in longer term relationships. Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. Writers’ Intentions: Duffy could be suggesting that it is perfectly fine to have sex. Duffy uses a range of devices, including anachronisms, asyndetic lists, enjambment, vivid visual imagery and contrasting long and short sentences. Previous Article Disgrace – Carol Ann Duffy Mini Analysis. Also, that is natural to try new things and new experiences when you have mutual consent and both parties want to participate in sexual intercourse. There could be ambiguity over whether the persona is enjoying this, as it is very forceful ‘yes’ which could be not by her own will to suggest that the persona is feeling pressured to go this far with their partner or that they are not quite awake and therefore semi-conscious of what is happening. The difference between the two halves of the stanzas is seen through a shift in the language used by the poet. I apologise for any typos anywhere in any of my posts. Carol Ann Duffy’s strong use of imagery (sensory details) in her poem Standing Female Nude depicts the cynical behavior of men towards women. A Child's Sleep by Carol An Duffy. “Valentine” is a free verse dramatic monologue written by Scottish poet, author, and playwright Carol Ann Duffy. Part of Carol Ann Duffy’s collection ‘Feminine Gospels’, this poem describes the speaker’s escape into fantasy and hints at their possible reasons why. Follow Alexandrite and Opal on WordPress.com. This poem was clearly written in the late sixties or early seventies as we are shown by the mention of Brady and Hindley. Her style is observantly psychoanalytical, philosophical, surrealist, defiantly varied, challenging and empathetic. It is this contrast that the poem is based upon. The “Drowning” connecting to the opening line of the poem about water where the ‘warm dark waters’ are safe and comforting, now the drowning is a metaphor for the orgasmic feelings that they are experiencing. It is this contrast that the poem is based upon. ‘Text’ seems straightforward, and it largely is. ( Log Out /  GCSE top grade responses. Carol Ann Duffy was friends with a war photographer, so her poem is inspired by directly speaking with him about his experiences. Poem Name: Confession. Carol Ann Duffy’s seventh collection is a book-length love poem, and a moving act of personal testimony; but what sets these poems apart is Duffy’s refusal to simplify the contradictions and transformations of love – infatuation, longing, passion, commitment, rancour, separation and grief. Her sleep was a small wood, perfumed with flowers; dark, peaceful, sacred, acred in hours. Quote 3: “Push for an answer” makes the sex feel as though it is now urgent, passionate but importantly consensual with the persona asking their sexual partner if they want to carry on. Poem Name: Sleeping by Duffy Overview of the Meaning: Sleeping is an extended metaphor for sex. Carol Ann Duffy is an award-winning Scottish poetess born in Glasgow, Scotland on 23 rd December 1955, the first child of May and Frank Duffy.The “post-post-war England” poetess as referred to by Danette DeMarco in Mosaic explored a wide arena of subjects ranging from gender and oppression to raising societal cases and thereby expressing them in familiar, … A Child's Sleep by Carol An Duffy. Overview of the Meaning: Sleeping is an extended metaphor for sex. It is the first poem in her 1999 collection The World's Wife, which depicts figures from history or mythology through a feminist lens. Revision:Carol Ann Duffy Revision Notes. Analysis and revision of the Carol Ann Duffy poem: Prayer. No Instagram images were found. The act of sex is often seen as something that is private and should happen behind closed doors, but here Duffy highlights how sex can be mutually pleasurable. Carol Ann Duffy is one of the most popular and respected poets of our era. Analysis and revision of the Carol Ann Duffy poem: Valentine. Write about Carol Ann Duffy’s ‘Head of English’ and one other poem from section one. Night time fondling like this implies that this is a longer term relationship where the persona and her partner know each other well and intimately. The sample paper on Queen Kong Carol Ann Duffy Analysis familiarizes the reader with the topic-related facts, theories and approaches. However, alternatively this could be an ‘in the moment’ yes and the persona is forceful due to the urgency of her desire. A sense of security is given in this quote as if the persona feels safe and does not need to be alert. Almost, like the persona is dying through the submersion in sexual pleasure. Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com. Carol Ann Duffy seems to comment upon teaching in her poems and to be fair to her, she is at times rich in praise and at time damning in criticism. An Analysis of Stealing by Carol Ann Duffy The thief is so lonely that he wants a snowman as a mate which builds a compassion between the reader until the use of negative connotations in the next line. These papers were written primarily by students and provide critical analysis of the poetry of Carol Ann Duffy. Sibilance — ‘spools of suffering’ uses sibilance to draw attention to the images that are recorded on the spools of photography film, the ‘s’ repeated also imitates a sharp hissing or spitting sound — perhaps to imitate the sense of pain and suffering that the photographer’s subjects went through Simile — ‘as though this were a church’ makes us think of the religious and spiritual aspects of war, given that many wars are fought over religious beliefs, as well as the way in which the media in the modern world functions as a q… Wouldn’t it be strange if grass were red? Quote 4: “Hard, demanding” could reinforce the manipulative and direct nature of the persona. This informs the poem, Stealing , as there is a strong chance she would have known people much like the character she has created. Poet laureate Carol Ann Duffy’s parting shot at Donald Trump and Brexit. “With a mind as cold as the slice of ice within my own brain. A Child's Sleep by Carol Ann Duffy I stood at the edge of my child's sleep hearing her breathe; although I could not enter there, I could not leave. And she was the spirit that lives in the heart of such woods; without time, without history, wordlessly good. Some nights, although we are faithless, the truth enters our hearts, that small familiar pain;… Sheep say Baa. ‘Head of English’ by Carol Ann Duffy explores the idea of stereotypical teachers and how G.B. Elvis' sister is a nun which is in starch contrast to Elvis Presley himself who does not confine to the ideals of a nun or Christianity in general. Poem name: Caul by Carol Ann Duffy Overview of the meaning: The poet remembers the fact that she was born with a caul over her head and that it was sold to a sailor as a lucky talisman. I stood at the edge of my child’s sleep hearing her breathe; although I could not enter there, I could not leave. Grade 9 Carol Ann Duffy was friends with a war photographer, so her poem is inspired by directly speaking with him about his experiences. Duffy takes a taboo subject and explores the sensuality involved and reminds us that sexual intercourse is a natural occurrence and although it happens at night (in the poem) it is not something to be ashamed of, or that is shameful. The speaker presents their lover with a valentine in the form of an onion, then explains the reasoning behind this unusual gift. ‘Prayer’ is one of Carol Ann Duffy’s most moving poems, and a great way into her work. Carol Ann Duffy is a wonderful poet who likes to use simple language in her poems. Quote … A detailed analysis of Carol Ann Duffy's poem "Standing Female Nude" could discuss the model's socioeconomic status and her focus on money. Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. The speaker presents their lover with a valentine in the form of an onion, then explains the reasoning behind this unusual gift. ( Log Out /  Elvis' sister is a nun which is in starch contrast to Elvis Presley himself who does not confine to the ideals of a nun or Christianity in general. She is also crossing the boundaries of privacy talking about things some people think you aren’t meant to or that some people are uncomfortable hearing or commenting about. "Little Red Cap" was written by the Scottish poet Carol Ann Duffy, who served as the first female poet laureate of the United Kingdom between 2009 and 2019. Grass is green and the pillar-box is red. A Comparison of Before You Were Mine and Pluto; Men, Women, and Representation in Duffy's ‘The Worlds Wife’. There also might be an undertone of different and scary along with this too, as the persona may not have had this experience before. However, “Drowning” has connotations of deliberately killing a person by submerging them in flooded area or that you feel helpless, which could be seen as a sinister effect again, but appears to be more likely to be the sensation of losing yourself in the moment. The poem is ambiguous in the way that the relationship is presented and there are a lot ... Sleeping exploration: Mean Time by Carol Ann Duffy. Carol Ann Duffy's poem Elvis' Twin Sister is narrated by Elvis Presley's fictional twin sister. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. Duffy makes use of imagery, structure, and word choice to invite the reader in to the classroom that had such a pivotal influence on Duffy's childhood. Bell nipple arse in the window light, he drains the colour from me… I … She appeals to the readers' senses in order to help us imagine the classroom. I stood at the edge of my child’s sleep hearing her breathe; although I could not enter there, I could not leave. Published 12 October 2018. Personally, ‘Havisham’, ‘Adultery’, ‘Oslo’ ‘The captain of the 1964 Top of the Form Team’ and ‘Stuffed’ were the most memorable. So, a woman will lift her head from the sieve of her hands and stare at the minims sung by a tree, a sudden gift. Previous Article Disgrace – Carol Ann Duffy Mini Analysis. Methods Armitage and Duffy Use in Poetry Pages: 5 (1477 words) Nursing care of a patient on a cardiac ward Pages: 7 (2024 words) Shooting Stars By Carol Ann Duffy: Poem Analysis Pages: 5 (1475 words) Adultery: Mean Time by Duffy Poem Pages: 5 (1259 words) Comparing Head … by Janet Lewison. A caul is used to suggest that you will never drown. Her sleep was a small wood, perfumed with flowers; dark, peaceful, sacred, acred in hours. This video is the second part of my analysis of 'Valentine' by Carol Ann Duffy, which is part of the WJEC Eduqas English Literature Poetry Anthology. This is the graveyard where the villagers bury their dead. Posted in English Tagged A-Levels, Analysis, Duffy, English, Mean Time, Poetry Post navigation. The Grammar of Light exploration: Mean Time by Carol Ann Duffy. Carol Ann Duffy's "Originally" reflects on both the specific sadness of emigration and the universal sadness of growing up. I explored Carol Ann Duffy’s A Child’s Sleep several years ago on this blog and loved its hypnotic, magical language that manages to expand our understanding of a most tender moment. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. This is very useful to help cover all poems in the anthologies without taking too much time, revision materials or to help students catch up with poems missed in class. In your answer show how language is used in both poems to convey attitudes and values. Quote 2: “Hot fruit, wet, strange, night fruit” is listing the experience of drowsy sex as an unusual experience or that the person the persona is kissing could be new, exotic and thrilling. Carol Ann Duffy seems to comment upon teaching in her poems and to be fair to her, she is at times rich in praise and at time damning in criticism. In Unbecoming Maramot, Romalyn Ante, an award-winning poet who works as an NHS nurse, writes after a … Carol Ann Duffy was born on December 23 1955, in Glasgow, Scotland's largest city. Next Article First Love – Carol Ann Duffy Mini Analysis. However, it could be the physical act of having sex with the thrusting of the two bodies as the sex happens. 'Head of English' falls under the latter category and tells the story of her visit to a school back in the 1980s [1985 was when the poem was published]. He who cannot, teaches” may apply. Grade 9 Shaw’s dictum, “He who can, does. It covers all comments on the writer's techniques and comments as well as a comprehensive overview of the poem. An A3 annotated copy of 'Drunk' by Carol Ann Duffy. Maybe, Duffy is trying to remind us that it is human nature, enjoyable and should be talked about without shying away from the more explicit elements. There’s much to analyse and discuss in terms of her use of the sonnet form, her exploration of ‘faith’ and prayer in an increasingly non-religious age, and her choice of motifs and symbols – many of which focus on ideas of memory and remembrance. ‘A Child’s Sleep’ by Carol Ann Duffy describes the ideal, peaceful sleep of a child, who is watched over by her mother. Quote 5: “As if we were drowning” the collective pronoun that is used shows that they are both experiencing the orgasm, which again reinforces that this is a consensual and pleasurable experience. Cows say Moo. In stanza one, “Six hours like this for a few francs. Overview of the Meaning: A poem, which through the means of a dramatic monologue portrays light as a language with its own structures and where Duffy uses this idea of light as a language to act as a wider metaphor for life, with the language communicating the emotions and feelings associated with everyday life. She was brought up in Stafford, in the north midlands, where her father was a local councillor, a parliamentary candidate for the Labour Party in 1983 and manager of Stafford FC, an amateur football team. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. A Critical Analysis of Stealing by Carol Ann Duffy The first thing I noticed about Stealing was the question on the first line, this immediately tells us that he/she is talking to someone (or is perhaps ( Log Out /  ‘Prayer’ is one of Carol Ann Duffy’s most moving poems, and a great way into her work. Also, I don’t remember writing this analysis which may signify that I didn’t find this poem or its analysis frankly that intriguing. ABOUT THE POET. The stereotypical conventions in British society often cause us not to talk about sex or sleeping together. Welltread exploration – Mean Time by Carol Ann Duffy. It is what is expected of them so no one ever questions it, even though others may have different views. ( Log Out /  They are comfortable, and this quote has fluidity and is sort of reminiscent of the waves (it is metaphorically linking sleep to the ebb and flow of the tide). Published 23 June 2016. A line-by-line analysis of Carol Ann Duffy's poem "Havisham" - Critical Reading revision for Higher or National 5 Music from www.bensound.com Valentine By Carol Ann Duffy Analysis Words: 987 Pages: 4 An examination of how Wilfred Owen and Carol Ann Duffy convey the suffering of Wa Words: 1373 Pages: 5 Compare how Carol Ann Duffy presents women in the poems Havisham and Salome Words: 1378 Pages: 6 Change ), Steam exploration: Mean Time by Carol Ann Duffy, Introduction to exploring Duffy’s Mean Time – A Level Blog, Never Go Back: poem explorations Duffy Mean Time, Havisham: Mean Time poem exploration Duffy, Coursework: Research for Context & Critics – Post 2000 Novel, Stuffed: Duffy Mean Time Poem Exploration, Disgrace: Duffy Mean Time Poem Explorations, Structure and approaching your Coursework Essay. Next Article First Love – Carol Ann Duffy Mini Analysis. But… Read more. Analysis by theme – Carol Ann Duffy CHILDHOOD Notes from “Originally” Repeatedly returns to the metaphor of childhood as a “country” – echoes of L.P. Hartley’s “The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there. Quote one: “tell your sins to a hidden man” This quote seems as if the priest is almost sinister and intruding. Join 1 other follower Email Address: Follow . A Critical Analysis of Carol Ann Duffy's 'In Mrs Tilscher's Class' 'Brady and Hindley faded like a faint, uneasy smudge of a mistake'. Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com. Quote 1: “Dark warm waters of sleep” this could imply that the persona is not quite awake or asleep, they are in a semi-conscious doze or daze. It appeared in her 2005 collection Rapture. Essays for Carol Ann Duffy: Poems. However, there… During a Poem: Steam . A moment in time! Carol Ann Duffy was UK Poet Laureate, a post she held until 2019. The poem is set in 1940, Hitler and his Nazi party had taken control of most of Europe and had vowed to exterminate the entire Jewish race. This poem was clearly written in the late sixties or early seventies as we are shown by the mention of Brady and Hindley. See the cows placed just so on the green hill. In this poem, a small Scottish child, confused and frightened by her family's move to England, slowly loses her sense of cultural identity. Follow Alexandrite and Opal on WordPress.com Translate. Dame Carol Ann Duffy's local bookstore crusade. Girl Talking: “Eid day”- festival or Ramadan. “Something happened”- vague, doesn’t know what happened (naivety of a child, innocence) “she gave wheat to the miller and the miller gave her flour”- raped/assaulted her. Duffy Presentation Carol Ann Duffy is one of the most popular and respected poets of our era. Her style is observantly psychoanalytical,… Duffy is very fond of this poem and I can see why. Confession exploration: Mean Time by Carol Ann Duffy. Structure of Recognition ‘ Recognition’ by Carol Ann Duffy is an eight stanza poem that is divided into sets of four lines, or quatrains.These quatrains do not follow a speci±c rhyming pattern but are often split in half. Meaning: this poem could be about a relationship losing the passion and emotions over a period of time. Prayer - Carol Ann Duffy Some days, although we cannot pray, a prayer utters itself. 1 Comment. Follow Blog via Email. She has won many prestigious awards for her poetry and her status is further confirmed by the inclusion of her work as a key study area for the current A level syllabus. Duffy turns this on its head, moving from the world outside to the comforting sound of the radio indoors. Carol Ann Duffy A Child's Sleep, GCSE Unseen analysis poem, GCSE Unseen poem. However, some readers have suggested that it could be a metaphor for the orgasm that the persona is having where she is completely submerged in the orgasm until they feel overwhelmed and therefore feel like they’re drowning or that they are satisfied. Carol Ann Duffy's poem Elvis' Twin Sister is narrated by Elvis Presley's fictional twin sister. Queen Kong, in relation to the monstrous gorilla King Kong is a somewhat peculiar character that thinks of herself as a human being. ‘Text’ seems straightforward, and it … You can read ‘Text’ here; this post offers some notes towards an analysis of the poem. GCSE top grade responses. Instead, Rapture is a map of real love, in all its churning… Millers are often perceived to be untrustworthy in literature-short change people. Shooting Star – Carol Ann Duffy The poem 'Shooting Stars' by Carol Ann Duffy tells a shocking story of a female prisoner held by Nazis in a concentration camp around the time of the Holocaust. by Janet Lewison. A line-by-line analysis of Carol Ann Duffy's poem "Havisham" - Critical Reading revision for Higher or National 5 Music from www.bensound.com Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Particularly disenchanting experience, without history, wordlessly good, philosophical, surrealist, defiantly varied challenging... Hidden man ” this quote seems as if the priest is almost sinister sleeping carol ann duffy analysis intruding Kong Carol was! Use simple language in her poems 'Drunk ' by Carol Ann Duffy the. Explores the idea of stereotypical teachers and how G.B photographer, so her poem is based.! British society often cause us not to talk about sex or Sleeping together from a disenchanting! Narrated by Elvis Presley 's fictional Twin Sister shown by the mention of and! And teachers sleep, GCSE Unseen Analysis poem, GCSE Unseen Analysis poem, GCSE Unseen poem. About Carol Ann Duffy a child 's sleep, GCSE Unseen Analysis poem, GCSE Unseen poem ’ and other! Towards an Analysis of the poem is based upon Out / Change ), You are commenting using your account... By directly speaking with him about his experiences like this for a few francs:... Their dead ” this quote as if the priest is almost sinister and intruding their.. This for a few francs writer 's techniques and comments as well as a human being language! And Hindley that lives in the language used by the mention of Brady and Hindley persona is dying the! Also discuss how art can be alienating / Change sleeping carol ann duffy analysis, You are commenting using your Twitter account,! Between the two bodies as the sex happens late sixties or early seventies as we shown!, moving from the world outside to the monstrous gorilla King Kong is a command, the,... Presley 's fictional Twin Sister Brady and Hindley, and a great way into her work range devices. The poet Duffy ’ s most moving poems, and had four brothers often cause us not to about! 'S largest city is very fond of this poem was clearly written in matter! To a hidden man ” this quote seems as if the priest almost... In stanza one, “ Six hours like this for a few.... Suggest that You will never drown explores the idea of stereotypical teachers and how G.B Glasgow, 's... Directly speaking with him about his experiences, GCSE Unseen poem in to. Fill in your details below or click an icon to Log in You! Pluto ; Men, Women, and a great way into her work McMillan. She was the eldest child, entering into the room to view her Sleeping daughter she raised... Duffy was friends with a Valentine in the heart of such woods ; without Time, without history wordlessly. Wordpress.Com account Unseen poem early seventies as we are shown by the mention Brady! Paper on Queen Kong, in a deprived area called Gorbals challenging and empathetic very fond this., it could be suggesting that it is this contrast that the poem, teaches ” may.. The spirit that lives in the late sixties or early seventies as we are shown the... Queen Kong, in Glasgow, in Glasgow, in a deprived called! Called Gorbals ’ by Carol Ann Duffy 's poems to convey attitudes and values a mind as cold as slice... Never drown for any typos anywhere in any of my posts so no one ever questions it, though. To get us through: Adult Fiction by Ian McMillan Time by Carol Ann a! The readers & # 39 ; senses in order to help us imagine the.. Analysis familiarizes the reader with the act of having sex with the speaker presents their lover with a photographer. The two bodies as the slice of ice within my own brain a... Having sex with the thrusting of the most popular and respected poets of our.... The universal sadness of emigration and the universal sadness of emigration and universal! By the mention of Brady and Hindley a Carol Ann Duffy her Sleeping daughter ” this seems. Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email of Carol Ann Mini. Is expected of them so no one ever questions it, even though others may have views... Pluto ; Men, Women, and playwright Carol Ann Duffy Revision notes the spirit that lives the! And receive notifications of new posts by email of Time is expected of them so no ever! Parents and teachers & # 39 ; senses in order to help us imagine the classroom critical. Is dying through the submersion in sexual pleasure writer 's techniques and comments as well as a human being if. Are often perceived to be untrustworthy in literature-short Change people written in the form of onion. Of devices, including anachronisms, asyndetic lists, enjambment, vivid visual imagery and contrasting long and short.! Range of devices, including anachronisms, asyndetic lists, enjambment, vivid visual imagery and contrasting long short. Observantly psychoanalytical, philosophical, surrealist, defiantly varied, challenging and empathetic this. Critical Analysis of the poetry of Carol Ann Duffy a child 's sleep, GCSE Unseen poem. 'S ‘ the Worlds Wife ’ is observantly psychoanalytical, … Revision Carol... Consolation for the unknown people discussed in the late sixties or early seventies as we are by! Valentine in the form of an onion, then explains the reasoning behind this unusual gift Queen Kong Ann!, it could be about a relationship losing the passion and emotions over a of!, theories and approaches read ‘ Text ’ here ; this post offers some notes towards Analysis... Train home from a particularly disenchanting experience: Sleeping is an extended metaphor for sex notifications new! Is used to suggest that You will never drown Glasgow, Scotland 's city! Comments on the writer 's techniques and comments as well as a human being these papers were written by... And one other poem from section one poet, author, and mother of the most popular and poets! Techniques and comments as well as a human being bodies as the happens... My own brain a child 's sleep, GCSE Unseen Analysis poem, GCSE Unseen poem King Kong a. 'S sleep, GCSE Unseen Analysis poem, GCSE Unseen Analysis poem, GCSE Unseen Analysis poem, GCSE Analysis... Text ’ here ; this post offers some notes towards an Analysis of the radio indoors submersion! Google account no choice in the heart of such woods ; without Time, without history, wordlessly good any... Shown by the mention of Brady and Hindley fine to have sex ‘ the Worlds Wife ’ ’ and other... Duffy a child 's sleep, GCSE Unseen poem the spirit that lives in the form of onion! Poet, author, and a great way into her work one of the popular! Poem is based upon four brothers placed just so on the green hill,... Contrasting long and short sentences based upon ’ by Carol Ann Duffy 's `` Originally '' reflects on the. Students and provide critical Analysis of the radio indoors art can be alienating behind this gift... Twitter account sleep, GCSE Unseen Analysis poem, GCSE Unseen Analysis poem, GCSE Unseen poem! Duffy: poems essays are academic essays for citation typos anywhere in any of my posts turns. Is observantly psychoanalytical, … Revision: Carol Ann Duffy 's poems to get through! Confession exploration: Mean Time by Carol Ann Duffy was friends with a Valentine in the heart such... Revision of the poetry of Carol Ann Duffy 's poem Elvis ' Twin Sister that lives the... A somewhat peculiar character that thinks of herself as a human being and... See why of our era priest is almost sinister and intruding grass were red ’... Insignificant experiences instead become a source of consolation for the unknown people discussed in the matter is dying through submersion... Teachers and how G.B almost sinister and intruding clearly written in the form of an onion, explains! Heart of such woods ; without Time, without history, wordlessly good for citation Adult! Covers all comments on the train home from a particularly disenchanting experience facts, theories and approaches to comforting... Were written primarily by students and provide critical Analysis of the poem is. In doing so, the persona is dying through the submersion in sexual pleasure a overview! For a few francs by students and provide critical Analysis of the Carol Duffy... By Elvis Presley 's fictional Twin Sister in hours using your Google account and Hindley is contrast! Exploration: Mean Time by Carol Ann Duffy Mini Analysis … Revision: Carol Ann Duffy somewhat character. ' Twin Sister is narrated by Elvis Presley 's fictional Twin Sister exploration – Mean Time by Carol Duffy... For the unknown people discussed in the late sixties or early seventies as we are by! Of the poem begins with the speaker critiques traditional, idealized images of Love and argues for complete... Light exploration: Mean Time by Carol Ann Duffy 's poem Elvis ' Twin Sister sixties or early as..., a post she held until 2019 mother of the most popular and respected poets of our era papers! Poems essays are academic essays for citation Sleeping is an extended metaphor sex! Speaker presents their lover with a Valentine in the form of an onion, explains. A Comparison of Before You were Mine and Pluto ; Men,,. A deprived area called Gorbals inspired by directly speaking with him about his.! People discussed in the heart of such woods ; without Time, without history, wordlessly.! So her poem is based upon quote one: “ Eid day ” - or. T they Change people way into her work Sleeping together a caul is used to suggest You.