Hi Nathalie, Since the salsa is cooked, I think it should work. Without a doubt the best salsa I have ever made. Thank you for posting you used olive oil and it turned out good. I have been looking for this recipe for a while now since my brother started making me homemade salsa. The salsa was so yummy while it is still warm. Can this salsa be frozen? Works with other recipes also, as the heat is typically in those veins and seeds. www.peanutbutterandpeppers.com/2016/07/18/serrano-pepper-salsa Hope that helps. I halved the salt and used a Thai green chili for a smooth tasty heat. I am a huge fan. Agree it only needs 1 tsp Of salt! Best salsa in the world. My family is not onion-friendly, so I was nervous about this, but it worked well. . Puree for about 30 seconds. I have made it for parties many times and am always asked for the recipe. This was delicious! OMG, I love salsa and chips! Hi Lida, It can be frozen but not canned. Used jalapenos as that’s what I had. I always have too many fruits and vegetables, and love recipes like this that save me from wasting food. Everyone loved it even more. Fire roasting all the fresh ingredients provides a hint of smoke and brings out the natural sugars, offering a slightly sweet note. Strain the salsa and add the salt, mixing well. Thanks. My mother used to make this salsa, and she canned it all the time. Begin by tossing the quartered tomatoes (I don’t even bother coring them), onion wedges, garlic and whole  peppers with the vegetable oil directly on a baking sheet. So easy to make, my 1 year old ended up eating a lot of it! Hope you enjoy it! Great balance of flavours! I can't wait to try it out. Only thing that was off was the heat, used 5 serranos and there doesn’t seem to be any heat at all. Thanks for sharing this.. Hi Jenn – First let me say I so enjoy reading your blog! lol If you have thoughts on the flavor with either of the alternatives, I’d love to know. Another outstanding recipe, Jenn. Roasted Tomatillo Salsa made with tomatillos, serrano peppers, onion, garlic, and cilantro. I had been thinking a little Masa flour, but the peanuts might make sense… ever heard of such a thing? Made with grilled chicken fajitas (also 5*). But the basic approach–broiling in oil, etc.–is yours. So far EVERYONE who has tasted it has loved it. Jenn, we love your recipes! I love garlic. The key to the great flavor is roasting the vegetables. I have frozen this salsa, and it’s just as delicious when it thaws. Can it be frozen? I bet it would be great…I just wouldn’t know how much of each vegetable I would need to use?!? How do you prevent that since I think burned garlic tastes terrible. Addictive is right! It is great whether warm or cold, just different. We eat with chips (of course), put it on eggs, and even top grilled meats with it. Subsitute tomatillos to make salsa verde. This is the best salsa recipe on the planet. This is just so delicious. Tasted great just after pulsing, even better after the salt (only used 1 1/3 Tbsp for low sodium) and even better after the cilantro and lime. As I type, I’m making a batch using over 7 pounds of tomatoes and over 4 pounds of jalapenos. I would also recommend extra virgin olive oil over regular vegetable oil as an option for a little more flavor. Thanks! Question, I saw that the salsa could be frozen, but has anyone tried canning? Can I freeze this salsa? definitely i will try and let u know. Sorry! This salsa doesn’t last more than two days in our fridge, if it even hits the fridge at all! Wonderful! I’m not sure what the problem could be. This is very tasty! Hi Angela, Glad you liked this! and about to make my salsa. Was I suppsoed to keep the whole, seeds and all? My mother in-law makes a Roasted Tomato Salsa, but I have to admit that it doesn’t compare to this one in how it looks upon completion! Have refrozen it as many as three times, and it still tastes OK. My entire family loves this salsa! I added some extra garlic but otherwise followed the recipe. I also added just a touch of sugar (like 1/2 tsp ). Was in the middle of making roasted salsa ala JoAnn…when I decided to google it…I already had the tomatoes, onion, garlic and a drizzele of olive oil roasting on roast convection 375 so continued down that path. Will be serving with chicken tacos later. Thanks. Super easy to make and the flavor is phenomenal. Sure, I think that should work. Very pretty. As you can see, this salsa recipe calls for three serrano peppers. One question. I usually make this twice a week. Thank you!!! Read more…, Plus free email series "5 of a Classically Trained Chef", Black Bean Salad with Corn, Avocado & Lime Vinaigrette, 11 Light & Delicious Meals to Help You Reset After Thanksgiving. Made this for a get together and had 4 people ask me for the recipe! Creamy avocado salsa starts with roasting tomatillos, garlic cloves, serrano peppers, and jalapeños together on a grill, in the broiler, or on the stovetop on a comal (cast iron griddle). There has always been something in there I couldn’t define that was a little bit creamy… another customer told me confidentially once that the creamyness is coming from roasted peanuts that they grind up in the salsa. Not sure why I don’t make more often – so simple. I asked my two neighbors to taste the salsa and they liked it. Do you have any idea how long it will last in the freezer? I thought this was the best tasting salsa I have EVER had. This is by far the tastiest and easiest (2 of my favorite ingredients in a recipe) salsa I’ve ever made. Thank you for posting. I only put 1/2 Serrano because my daughter doesn’t like spicy. perfect for my tostadas… so simple and delicious! P.S. I did add several tomatillos along with everything else and it was very good that way. 12 Serrano Chiles . This homemade roasted salsa is truly the best damn roasted salsa and so easy too, you’ll never want store-bought salsa again. The roasted nature gives the best flavor to all of the veggies used in this salsa. I made this with jalapeño peppers instead of Serrano, and used minced garlic from a jar since that’s what I had on hand and extra cilantro. Could I use green tomatoes in this recipe? It smells so good, was easy to make with ingredients I grabbed at the farmers market and out of the garden, but way to hot for me. When I made this with four decent-sized but not huge tomatoes, it made six cups. I have lots of fresh tomatoes and your salsa is superior to anything you can buy in a store. I was out of cilantro so I used parsley instead. with the seeds and membranes removed. I served big platters of this salsa along with your guacamole and chips by our family Chanukah party and it was the first dish that went …thank you for another keeper! this looks amazing but i dont like really spicy foods, Hi Eliana, I’d still use at least one pepper, but you can remove the seeds to get rid of most of the heat. Hi Terri, I think you could get away with using the fire-roasted tomatoes (make sure they are well-drained). I used an immersion blender which worked great. You can always blend the others in to taste.) Absolutely delicious! He also thought it was good. Thanks, Carol. Whoa..3-4 serrano peppers….this must be pretty hot…..I’m going to make it, but will definitely tone it down. I had olive oil instead of vegetable oil. Hi Jerrie, I don’t see why not…since it’s cooked and pureed, you don’t have to worry about any fresh cut vegetables getting mushy. I left out jalapeños and white pepper and this still turned out great! Thanks. OH MY GOSH, this is so good, This is now my salsa of choice. I noticed you said the salsa could not be canned but I am wondering if it could be frozen. I am always impressed with your recipes. Please advise. They add flavour, too. Some of the liquid may separate out when it’s defrosted, or it might get a bit watery, but you can correct that by reheating it. Numerous friends have asked for the recipe and that’s when I refer them to your site and share that a wonderful cookbook is also available. This was really good and love it warm….I will always warm it from the frig. I would would serve this over red snapper fillets and be in heaven. I don’t normally make salsa. He gave it great reviews, and so did the rest of the group! It is everything you want in a recipe; it is delicious, easy to make and you can freeze it too!Adjust the heat by the number and or kind of peppers that you use. Sounds delicious! For me the smokiness really brought out the sweetness of the roasted veggies. See more ideas about roasted salsa recipe, recipes, salsa recipe. Hi Stevus, It will still be absolutely delicious without the cilantro. Everyone loved it! Pure perfection. Put chiles and tomatoes in a packet of aluminum foil. Hi John, I think you’ll really enjoy this recipe. Sample, and then add veins & seeds as needed to your liking. Your basic method for making salsa has become a permanent part of our cuisine. Print Recipe. This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged. I never knew salsa could be so easy! Hope that helps and glad you enjoyed! Process as directed, leaving it slightly chunkier than normal. This is my go-to salsa recipe. So I tried a little different technique and roasted the the tomatoes, onions, garlic and serrano’s on the BBQ for five minutes, on the cookie sheet. As soon as the chiles, garlic, tomatoes, and onion were out of the broiler….I hear him run to the kitchen and say what’s the amazing smell and I pointed out what I was making. Great for chips and dip and also topping for any mexican dish. I make it at the request of my family weekly. This recipe was so easy to put together and was absolutely packed with flavor. When oil is hot, stir in Serrano chilies and garlic. Since it is cooked, it keeps longer than fresh salsa. Much thanks to you for the recipe! The slow heat is provided by a combination of roasted serrano, roasted jalapeno, and roasted habanero peppers. I plan on trying that! I haven’t tried freezing if myself but since it’s a cooked salsa, rather than fresh, I think it should freeze very well for at least a few months. I’ve found through long practice that the salsa can be thawed and refrozen with little problem. I’m wondering if stemmed meant more than cutting off the stems? I haven’t heard of peanuts in salsa but sounds interesting! Why isn’t this able to be canned? I’ve tried other recipes in the past and they turned out too runny. I give this a five star even before the BBQ was added but you should try it both ways. If you are using jalapenos, you might need to remove the skins. Used 2.5 lb tomatillos, 1.75 lb onions, 1.25 lb jalapenos, 13 cloves garlic, a T each of cumin and lime juice, 1 t each of salt and pepper. I was so excited to taste, i forgot the cumin and it was fine but better with. We love, love, love this salsa, and with Packer season right around the corner, it’s absolutely perfect! Hi Kyle, this recipe wasn’t designed with canning in mind, so I wouldn’t recommend it – sorry! It will be on my menu this weekend. BEST SALSA EVER! Pulse 3 to 4 times or until the salsa is mostly smooth and no big chunks of tomato remain, scraping down the sides as necessary. If so, for how long? 3 large Organic Tomatoes . Hi Jenn, This was fabulous. I have tried to make my own but it never seems to turn out like I want it. Excellent salsa! Hi Michelle, It keeps well in the fridge for about a week, and it can also be frozen. Glad you like it! This salsa looks delicious and your pictures are beautiful! Flavors on point as always! I doubled the amount of tomatoes and used 2 jalapenos and it tasted great! Made it 3x and really like it. I usually substitute jalapenos for the serranos, but I always start with one pepper & test for heat before adding more. I cannot believe I have been missing out on salsa so many years before finding this recipe. I like this version of salas a lot. My fiance and I LOVE this salsa recipe! Didn’t see the last sentence on the recipe that said not to can. I cannot have vegetable or canola oils and was skeptical to use olive oil. Salsa!! I think I’ll give this recipe a whirl! If you are concerned about the level of heat, add only one Serrano pepper at this point. Gone. In my hometown of Tampico, Tamaulipas, serrano peppers are the daily fare in most households, where a salsa that uses only serrano peppers is the norm. Hi Jen, love your recipes and willo make this one. Yaynesss, we will never be without to die for roasted salsa again. Definitely making this again! I made this salsa again on Wednesday night. Taste the dedication to small-bath salsa made from fresh … Regarding the peppers, you handled them correctly by just cutting off the stem and using the remainder. It looks perfect! Such great taste & so easy. This salsa is fantastic! Good to know! Jenn, would leaving the seeds of the peppers out work and if so, should I still start with one pepper? We wound up adding a couple more tomatoes. It is such an easy, flavorful, delicious way to use the tomatoes from our garden. Oh my, I have been looking for a salsa recipe since my brother started making me homemade salsa but the few I have tried just didn’t turn out right. Hi Teresa, I didn’t create this recipe with canning in mind, so I don’t know whether or not it’s safe – sorry! Love this salsa. I’m a bit confused by the claimed yield, though: four tomatoes alone is a lot more than two and a half cups, unless they’re REALLY tiny tomatoes. I cut down on the salt because I am sensitive to it, and because we had salty chips. I happened to have some avocado oil from a warehouse club, and it has a high smoke point so I used it on vegetables. I’ve been trying different salsa recipes for something like 15 years, and FINALLY found this one that is fabulous. hello, I have one green poblano pepper — could I use that instead of the serrano? I am sitting here with a ton of lemons and no limes. This delicious roasted tomato and serrano pepper salsa can be served with chips or as a condiment for your favorite tacos, burritos, nachos, etc. Roasting the veggies and tomatoes brings out their flavor plus adding that little something extra. (Note: This is a … I have tried many variants so far as the ingredients are concerned, and even now have several quarts of salsa in my freezer labeled “Kitchen sink salsa” because I harvested ALL the peppers and tomatoes and tomatillos in my garden (just before the freeze) and made a couple of gallons of salsa. My husband and I like it hot but if you don’t use all the roasted peppers you can save them for another recipe. Sauté for about 1 minute, stirring often so garlic does not burn. We love this salsa both warm and cold. Do you remove the seeds from the serrano peppers? I made this last night and it was AMAZING! I would make it again. Thank you! Sounds delicious! (I don’t KNOW that, it’s just a guess. Hi, much of the heat comes from the seeds, so If you’re sensitive to heat, you may want to remove them. I have made this several times to try to replicate our favorite restaurant’s smoked salsa–it doesn’t just replicate it, it’s better! I will also use this recipe for the sauce to go over my enchiladas. The Guinness Lamb Stew is also amazing, people!! In fact, since I tend to forget it’s in the fridge, I historically have left it too long and it has spoiled. The taste was good but cilantro is definitely an important ingredient. I had to stop myself from eating this salsa by the spoonful. Triple. Excellent smokey, charred taste with a little kick. Your site is my go to for no fail recipes. Once upon a time, I went to culinary school and worked in fancy restaurants. Roasted sounds totally different. Take a taste for seasoning. I will save it for later . But if you’re concerned, just keep an eye on everything and pull the garlic cloves out early if they are getting too dark. Can this recipe be canned using the water bath method? I used 1 jalapeño and one hot banana pepper and it had just enough kick to it. Some of the liquid may separate out when it’s defrosted, or it might get a bit watery, but you can correct that by reheating it. This was simple and easy to make. I was so pleased at how thick and chunky this one was. Hope you enjoy! See more ideas about Mexican food recipes, Recipes, Salsa recipe. I stirred in some chopped red onion after it cooled for a little added crunch. Just tried this and there is way too much cumin and lime. What do you think….will lemon juice work in place of the lime juice? Delicious – I can’t stop eating it! Please let me know how it turns out . Set an oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source and preheat the oven's broiler to high. The frozen batch is always great but kinda miss having it warm when fresh. I can eat it just by itself! I have an abundance of grape tomatoes that I will use for this recipe. It’s very easy to make. Add the roasted tomatoes and tomatillos to a blender along with 1/3 small onion, 1 peeled garlic clove, 1 rinsed and de-stemmed jalapeno (or less for a milder version), 10-12 sprigs rinsed cilantro. Recommend, Love this salsa recipe – roasting the tomatoes, onions, garlic, peppers makes all the difference. Also, I freeze half each time so that I actually have some to eat every week or so. Hi there – this is a fantastic salsa, really loved it! I had been searching for an easy salsa recipes to use up the plethora of tomatoes from our garden. This came out good. Course Salsa, Chutneys, Condiments; Cuisine Mexican; Servings: Prep Time: 10: 10 minutes: Cook Time: 10 minutes: Servings: Prep Time: 10: 10 minutes: Cook Time: 10 minutes: Roasted Tomato and Serrano Salsa.