This recipe calls for canned pumpkin, but you can also use steamed or baked pumpkin … I do thicken it up a little bit with some flour. Coconut Milk – Buy canned whole-fat coconut milk, not the coconut beverage that comes in a box. This is a classic pumpkin soup recipe that walks on the healthy side without sacrificing a single bit of flavor! Change it up: Kabocha squash works instead of pumpkin, and I bet butternut squash would work well, too. This pumpkin soup is a seriously moreish, creamy and utterly perfect recipe for fall. Serve this fragrant soup with a swirl of coconut milk and fresh coriander (cilantro) for a fantastic spiced vegan pumpkin soup. Coconut milk makes it extra rich and creamy! Home » Healthy » Easy Pumpkin Soup from Canned Pumpkin, Published October 29, 2017 / Updated September 4, 2018 / 18 Comments. Just scoop out the creamy coconut part and add that to your keto pumpkin soup. When you're cooking soup … How To Make Pumpkin Soup Without Coconut Milk. curry powder *1 1/2 diced red bell peppers in place of 1/2 onion, plus 2 tsp onion flakes once soup is simmering and 1tsp fresh diced green onion on each serving. Stir in cilantro to complement the sweet heat of your coconut pumpkin soup. The kale-sesame topping it also easy, requiring just 5 ingredients. This vegan pumpkin soup is creamy yet healthy, thanks to the addition of coconut milk (but if you prefer a soup without coconut milk, there's an alternative below). If you prefer to use a fresh pumpkin instead of the canned variety, choose a 2-3 pound pumpkin, peel and chop it and cook covered in the chicken or veggie broth for about 5-8 minutes or until pumpkin is tender. Finely dice your onions and saute with one teaspoon chicken broth in a saucepan until onions turn … This isn't a super hearty soup since pumpkin purée in the can isn't particularly thick, but it's sometimes nice to have a lighter soup, even in the colder months where everything else is so heavy. I swapped a bunch of ingredients to fit what I had on hand, make it non vegan, and add a bit more flavor. This recipe calls for canned pumpkin, because it’s faster and easier to work with, but keep in mind that canned pumpkin can vary pretty drastically in texture. Omit the maple syrup. The first time I made this recipe I used Thai Kitchen brand coconut milk and it was much thicker than this Goya brand, so my final soup was also a bit thicker. Add some freshly grated ginger for a little zing. Coconuts are high in fiber, vitamin C, vitamin E, B vitamins, iron, sodium, selenium, calcium magnesium, and phosphorus. Bonus points if you have delicate demitasse cups for serving. Notes. coconut oil in place of coconut milk *1 tbsp. Oh, n just FYI—I toasted the curry in a pan first before adding the oil n onion n garlic so it would not taste so “raw”. The soup will have a slight coconut flavor that works beautifully. The kale-sesame topping it also easy, requiring just 5 ingredients. I usually roast veggies when I make soup out of them, but sometimes you just want to skip all that. It’s also pretty much guilt-free because it’s vegan, gluten-free AND low in sugar (if you don’t count the natural sugars in the pumpkin). If you have an oven, firstly, fry the pumpkin, onion, and garlic in the oven at 180 ° C for 30 minutes.It helps to get the taste of roasted in the soup. If you want to add more zing, add some fresh ginger to the soup at the same time as the garlic. You need 100 percent pumpkin, without any sugar or spices; coconut milk – if you can’t use coconut milk, then heavy cream, Greek yogurt, and sour cream are all good substitutes. You can even use nut milk, but the soup will have a thinner consistency Keto Pumpkin Soup with Coconut Milk – If you are dairy-free, or just prefer the flavor of coconut, you can make this recipe with coconut milk. Add more curry powder or start with a spicier curry powder (I used one with medium heat). Add full-fat coconut milk. From the canned pumpkin … Tip: soup gets even more flavorful when … Making vegan pumpkin soup using canned pumpkin is a fabulous weeknight dinner shortcut. Next add one 15oz. Stock / Broth and Water – For a delicious pumpkin soup, do not throw away the pumpkin when you boil it! I used canned coconut cream but if your store doesn’t carry canned coconut cream, you can use canned coconut milk. This is a perfect pumpkin soup to make for Thanksgiving and Halloween. can pumpkin purée, NOT canned pumpkin pie filling. Season soup with salt & pepper as needed. I used canned coconut cream but if your store doesn’t carry canned coconut cream, you can use canned coconut milk. Unadorned, or with a grilled cheese sandwich on the side, this soup is a satisfying lunch, but for a holiday dinner, a garnish of fried sage leaves or a swirl of cream makes for a festive presentation. Thinking about it, this would be a great starter soup for a Thanksgiving table or even Christmas; personally I am happy to eat it all year round, using butternut squash – a seamless replacement for pumpkin. You can find canned coconut milk at all Asian grocery stores, and at quite many Western grocery stores these days. can of coconut milk. Quick, easy to follow, and a yummy way to use leftover canned pumpkin! Oh, Emma! Canned, full-fat coconut milk is key to giving this pumpkin soup its thick and creamy consistency. Step 4 – Add the already cooked pumpkin, chicken broth, and coconut milk and add the lid, cook for 5 minutes under pressure, then NPR for 10 minutes. In comes this canned pumpkin soup. Cut your pumpkin into manageable sized segments and scoop out the stringy central part … My husband devoured it. I followed a previous commenter's recommendation of using regular milk and adding coconut oil. Just scoop out the creamy coconut part and add that to your keto pumpkin soup. Canned pumpkin and cannellini beans are the timesaving secrets. I wonder how long they’ll last this year :) This recipe is ever so easy and like so many of my recipes, it doesn’t require much effort. Coconut milk makes it extra silky and delicious. Then add the garlic and red curry paste, and sauté for two minutes more. Cook onion, stirring often, until softened but not browned, 7–9 minutes. Puree the soup. Course: Main Course. And, I could actually taste the pumpkin, but to each their own. Pumpkin soup with coconut milk is a comforting homemade soup. Beat the weekday grind with hundreds of easy-to-follow and hassle-free recipes! 2. I garnished with dollop of sour cream, garlic Texas toast style croutons, pumpkin seeds, bacon bits, and French’s fried onions. Notes. Get regular updates from NYT Cooking, with recipe suggestions, cooking tips and shopping advice. As written this soup is paleo, gluten free, and dairy free. Pumpkin and maple are a dream team of fall flavor! A very flavorful pumpkin curry soup is seasoned with garlic, ginger, and curry powder. Taste, then season with salt and pepper, and garnish if desired. You’ll have a satisfying cozy meal ready in 15 minutes! Eat well flavored! … I know a lot of you may be looking for a vegan pumpkin soup without coconut milk and that is okay! Dairy Free Pumpkin Soup with Coconut Milk. Plus! Coconuts are high in fiber, vitamin C, vitamin E, B vitamins, iron, sodium, selenium, calcium magnesium, and phosphorus. This Vegan Curried Pumpkin Soup is super creamy, smooth, and full of flavor! Try it as a base in your smoothies, too! This vegan pumpkin soup is creamy yet healthy, thanks to the addition of coconut milk (but if you prefer a soup without coconut milk, there's an alternative below). Filled with the flavors of pumpkin, coconut, and heat from jalapenos it's a fall soup recipe you've just gotta try. If pumpkin pie is on the menu, doubling down with a spiced pumpkin soup to start might seem like overkill, but it’s also an opportunity to showcase the versatility of winter squash. Using an immersion hand blender to puree the pressure cooker pumpkin soup, serve with a drizzle of coconut milk and toasted pumpkin … If you taste the soup and wish it had a little more kick, I suggest doing these things: To me, this curried pumpkin soup was plenty flavorful and nicely balanced. We’ve blended aromatic spices like ginger, garlic powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg to bring the essence of fall into your soup mug. I always use the canned variety for convenience. On a large baking sheet, toss pumpkin and sweet potato with 2 tablespoons oil, 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon McCormick black pepper. Change it up: Kabocha squash works instead of pumpkin, and I bet butternut squash would work well, too. It is made with canned pumpkin, coconut milk, coconut … Best part is that it gets ready in 30 minutes. Keto Pumpkin Soup with Coconut Milk – If you are dairy-free, or just prefer the flavor of coconut, you can make this recipe with coconut milk. This post may contain affiliate links. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. How to Make the Best Pumpkin Soup (Don’t skip these tips!) We’ve blended aromatic spices like ginger, garlic powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg to bring the essence of fall into your soup mug. Your email address will not be published. Please see my affiliate disclosure for more details. Unsightly put the pumpkin bowl and cut off style attachments, cut pumpkin with bowl into small pieces. The first stage, of roasting the pumpkin flesh, is purely optional. This spicy pumpkin soup makes an excellent addition to your holiday menu. Pumpkin Coconut milk Maple syrup Salt, black pepper, cinnamon + nutmeg Veggie stock Shallot Garlic. 5 from 16 votes. This vegan pumpkin soup from canned pumpkin is fast, easy, and comforting! This luxurious, subtly-spiced Curried Coconut Pumpkin Soup recipe will warm you from the inside out. Turned out fabulous! Add lime, season, & garnish: Stir in your lime juice. It is so very easy to modify this recipe … This easy pumpkin soup recipe is gluten-free, paleo, dairy-free, low-carb, and keto-friendly. It tasted delicious. (I also used it in this delicious Pumpkin Chili.) Together with the aromatics and fresh rosemary, the spices transform canned pumpkin purée, which can be a bit watery and bland, into a sublimely silky and nuanced soup. Also add parsley, basil or roasted cumin powder for more flavor. Blend in a blender or with an immersion blender until smooth then return to the pan. From the canned pumpkin to the cauliflower and onion, it's full of nourishing vegetables and warm spices like garlic and ginger -- with just a touch of sweetness from maple syrup. Used curry paste instead of powder and had no onion on hand, so added onion powder. Hi! This seasonal pumpkin soup with coconut milk is a little savoury, a tad sweet and a whole lot of yummy! Coconut Milk – Buy canned whole-fat coconut milk, not the coconut beverage that comes in a box. 20/08/2012 at 7:37 am. I topped this with fresh cilantro, some quick homemade croutons, and toasted pumpkin seeds. Add the butternut squash chunks and all other ingredients except for the roasted desiccated coconut. Whole30 Pumpkin Soup. This would make a yummy Thanksgiving appetizer/soup course as well. (If using fresh ginger and turmeric, add … Stir in the coconut milk and maple syrup. So glad you liked it, Jordan! You may also like my pumpkin and lentil soup recipe or my pumpkin and cauliflower soup. Yossy Arefi for The New York Times (Photography and Styling). The creaminess of coconut and pumpkin paired with sweetly fragrant spices remind me a little of pumpkin pie, and this makes me very happy. Plus! You can also freeze and reheat it anytime you are craving some If you do not need the pumpkin soup to be vegan, you can use any kind of milk for the almond milk. Make sure you grab the full fat coconut milk. In fact, it’s one of my favorite vegan soup recipes ever. He's one who loves bold, spicy flavors whereas that's not always my go-to. Make it dairy free: Use coconut milk, not heavy cream. Topped with sage and sriracha! Both soups tasted great, but the different brands of coconut milk did give the soup different textures. Good start, followed advice of 3 cups broth. How To Make Pumpkin Soup: Guys, this one’s so easy! Reply. It keeps this pumpkin soup vegan. Good but nothing special about it pretty bland actually), had to put 4 tablespoons of flour mixed with the soup to get it to thicken. That thick white stuff is coconut cream. That thick white stuff is coconut cream. This soup made with pumpkin is super easy to make and is very healthy. Coconut milk: ... Stir in the pumpkin puree, coconut milk, and broth and simmer. Fresh roasted sugar pumpkins are bright and sweet, and perfectly complimented by classic fall herbs and spices. Sauté the onion in the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat until translucent (5-7 minutes) - it's ok if it lightly browns. Pour the soup into a blender pitcher to no more than half full. Make it with your favourite chicken broth or stock, or use a vegetable stock base for a plant based, vegan soup. Flavored with pumpkin and coconut milk, this super fast soup is ready in 15 minutes. This will help thicken the soup a bit. Recipe: Creamy Pumpkin Soup Follow NYT Food on Twitter and NYT Cooking on Instagram , Facebook , YouTube and Pinterest . I also doubled the onion n garlic to up the savory factor. Your friends will be so impressed. I’d probably use a little more thickener next time. The warmth of fresh ginger adds a lovely kick to the sweet base of coconut and pumpkin. Paleo Pumpkin Soup: No recipe changes needed! Learn how your comment data is processed. This vegan pumpkin soup from canned pumpkin is fast, easy, and comforting! Stir the coconut milk and pumpkin together until they’re well mixed. See below for the best pumpkin to use and make notes for canned pureed pumpkin substitutes; Onions and garlic – secret ingredients that add extra sourness to the taste of the soup !!