When a pregnant female guppy starts having contractions, you will usually be able to see her body twitch and/ or the muscles in her abdominal area spasm. Posted by Ashley R: I’ve been keeping these awesome little fish for years. Here, I will give you complete guidance to determine if a guppy is pregnant or not? A pregnant guppy generally gets big, eats a lot, hides some place in the tank, and may chase away other fish. Other guppies can sense these hormones. Feed the pregnant guppy. If the female guppies are fertile and you keep them with the male guppies, then there are high chances of having pregnant female guppies. Pregnant guppies only give birth when the conditions are good. 2. If you have a breeder box you should put her in at about 3 weeks (21 days) so she will be in there if she gives birth early. But here, I will present some of the common pregnant guppy stages features that you will observe when your female guppy is ready for birth. The slit is too small for the mamma guppy to go through, but it is perfect for baby guppies. As the guppy fry (Babies) grow larger they need more room and cause mum’s belly to grow. In truth, it would be much safer if you did NOT put her in the breeder box. Aquarium Fish Tank Guppy Breeding Breeder Baby/Fry Net Trap Box Hatchery #BN-1. Netting and moving a fish can be very stressful, and for a live-bearer it can cause her to abort the unborn babies. * Daphnia. The second thing you need to do (although doing this with all your guppies is a good thing) is make sure your pregnant guppy does not get all stressed out. You may also notice the female fish “pacing”, or going back and fourth from one area of the tank to another, again and again. Piranha Fish Aquarium Size? Signs Your Guppy is Ready to Give Birth (Knowing about other fish like betta fish care really helps with other fish.). It is not uncommon for some of the meaner guppy fish (usually other females) to actually peck at the pregnant female- as if trying to force her into delivery. hello my prego guppy dided just this morning after being in the breeder box for 2 days and not having fry,could the fry still be alive in her belly, should i cut her open,im sure the deth was due to the breeder box, how long till the fry will die in the belly after the mom passes This is the blessing that has been provided by nature to all the females and is not only an essential part of development but also requires attention and care. There are 20 other brands just like it that do the same thing. but if she was pregnant like you say, she needs to go in the now, the gestation period is 20-21 days, so she's a day or two over due! Some good types of food to use for variety are: * Flake food The hardest part is to figure out when the best time is to transfer the pregnant female over into the box. The added internal pressure from contractions causes this to happen. My Guppy Fish is Pregnant. You’ll know a female guppy is pregnant when the spot behind its anal fin gets darker and its stomach starts to grow. 7) Pregnant guppy fish color starts to fade a little, it’s a natural camouflage instinct to blend it with their surrounding. Pregnant guppy signs of delivery How to determine pregnant guppy signs. A breeding box is an affordable plastic container that you can place into your tank. Light colored females will have a gravid spot on their belly. A breeder net is a little square or rectangular frame with netting around the outside. This way, you don't have to use a breeding box. to learn more about the reason for this behavior. Lets talk about this. She is pregnant with a big stomach and a dark avid spot. Because of its design, water flows out and in of the breeding box, but other fish can’t get in. And how you can take care of your guppy when she is pregnant? * Algae discs * Brine shrimp It depends on how big your breeder box is. Now what? When should she go in the box? Being in a breeding box may actually cause even more stress, so you do not want to do this early. Hi, iv been asking questions about guppy birth and still dont know when to put my guppies in the breeding box. Hi my name is Jennifer and I'm new to breeding guppies can someone tell me when I should put her in the baby nursery breeder box I stay in touch with the breeder I got her from I asked her if I should put her on the breeder box and she hasn't responded back yet. Thanks for the help. The female guppy is then extracted after releasing the fry before they start eating them. It is very common for guppies to get pregnant. This video is about keeping and raising fry in a breeding box or breeding net. That is maybe a couple days long. Also increase the capacity if you wish to introduce more fishes in the same tank. ... i would suggest on getting her a breeding box or a breeding net !if you want to save them all then i would get the breeding … cheers. My Guppy Fish is Pregnant. The gravid spot is dark in colour, but it darkens and becomes large when a female guppy becomes pregnant. Guppy Breeding Behavior capetsma Fish Breeding Box, Acrylic Fish Isolation Box with Suction Cups, Aquarium Acclimation Hatchery Incubator for Baby Fishes Shrimp Clownfish and Guppy. Please don't tell me the box is bad for her because it is all I can do. If you are maintaining guppies in a community tank, then it is recommended that you should separate the female guppy from the main tank just before giving birth to young fry. Guppies give birth to about 150-200 babies, but don't worry they don't give birth all at once. You can also add some live plants in your aquarium because it will increase the chances for some of the fry to survive. It is quite obvious to spot a pregnant guppy with a large belly, Below is a picture I took of one of my pregnant guppies. New Aquarium Fish Tank Breeding Guppy Breeder Fish Baby Gauze Trap Box … I also use this with my molly fish setups. Make sure the tank is cycled and has a filter and a heater, you can’t just flop her in a bowl and call it good). You see, when guppy fry are born their swim bladders are not filled with air yet, so unless they swim really hard they will just sink down to the bottom. It is a very familiar fact that female guppies eat the fry once they are born. Becoming a mother. Once they hatch, she is stimulated to release them from their safe, warm little sack. I’ve had lots of success with the same box mentioned above. cheers anyway. hey, ok so i have a pregnant female guppy and i tryed putting her in a breeding box but when there r no people around her she starts swimming up and down really fast and i am not sure if that is stressing her. I've got two pregnant-looking female guppies (bought one around January 12th [with 4 other females who've since died] and another yesterday), and I want to know WHEN I should put them in the breeder box I also bought yesterday. Use a large glass or plastic container to separate the pregnant female guppy from the rest of the tank mates when she is close to giving birth. and its one of those breeder boxes where the fry is safe when its born.i can also see the fry's eyes in the gravid spot should i leave her in the tank or put her in a breeder tank You can also buy a breeding box. You have taken all the time and care to determine that your pregnant guppy is close to her due date, so you do not want to miss the actual birth itself. As with any pregnancy the guppies belly will grow larger and larger as the pregnancy progresses. When should I put my pregnant guppy in the breeding box? When she gives birth to the live babies they fall into a small chamber where the mother can’t even reach them either (the mother will eat her babies right after giving birth to them). Being in a breeding box may actually cause even more stress, so you do not want to do this early. When should she go in the box? I wouldn't stress her out by netting her and putting her in a breeding box, just let her be. … By keeping your fish from becoming stressed and providing a quiet, safe place for her to drop her fry, you are doing everything right to ensure a healthy batch of guppy fry and a flourishing guppy mom. Update: Like I said - Don't tell me they don't work. The Complete Guppy Care Guide 2020: Breeding, Tank Requirements, Fancy Varieties… September 13, 2018 Robert Freshwater Fish 50 The Guppy is one of the most well-known and popular aquarium fish for both beginners and seasoned aquarists alike. When she gives birth to the live babies they fall into a small chamber where the mother can’t even reach them either (the mother will eat her babies right after giving birth to them). Originally published at https://fish-guppy.com on August 8, 2020. ATPWONZ Fish Breeding Box, Acrylic Fish Isolation Box Aquarium Hatchery Incubator with Suction Cups for Newborn Fry Shrimp Guppy Clownfish Aggressive Fish, 11.5" x 6" x 6" 2.7 out of 5 stars 3 $19.99 $ 19 . You can also get an enclosed breeder box so that when the fancy guppy fry are born they fall down into a separate area below that is closed off from the rest of the tank. Whether she is pacing, acting shocked, apprehensive or all of the above, you will be able to note definitely that when she is in labor, your female guppy will not be behaving normally. You can put your mamma guppy inside it, but there is no separate compartment for the guppy babies to drop down into, so you need to take the mom out within a few hours of her giving birth to all her fry or she might eat them (See Are Guppy Fish Cannibals?). I have lots of plants on the tank bottom and the babies constantly hide in them and survive. good luck It is quite common for guppy tank mates to chase a female in labor around the tank. It is a higher quality acrylic plastic and the water supply setup works very good. Topic: Is a guppy breeder box the best way to breed guppies? The first time I had guppy fry I used that method. Yes you should put her in a breeding box while she is pregnant as this could save the fry from being eaten. It could even stress her out enough to make her die. Light colored females will have a gravid spot on their belly. Use a large glass or plastic container to separate the pregnant female guppy from the rest of the tank mates when she is close to giving birth. Because of its design, water flows out and in of the breeding box, but other fish can’t get in. The best guppy fish breeder box is the Marina breeder box. hey, ok so i have a pregnant female guppy and i tryed putting her in a breeding box but when there r no people around her she starts swimming up and down really fast and i am not sure if that is stressing her. You will notice your guppy is pregnant by an increased abdoman size. $6.03. I assume it was the confined space. I have a pregnant female right now so I need to hurry. You need to be sure that your pregnant guppy has a well- balanced diet. Keep the tank between 75 and 85°F (25 and 30°C), and set up a filter in the tank to keep the water clean. and free of lots of bacteria and parasites, make sure there is no chlorine in your tank, make sure the fish are not overcrowded, and as I mentioned above, ensure that the water quality is good. You will notice your guppy is pregnant by an increased abdoman size. Lots of hiding spots ensure the survival of the babies some. You’ll know a female guppy is pregnant when the spot behind its anal fin gets darker and its stomach starts to grow. Your pregnant guppy will go through a 28 day gestation period, and when her babies arrive, they will enter the fresh water world as live babies. capetsma Fish Breeding Box, Acrylic Fish Isolation Box with Suction Cups, Aquarium Acclimation Hatchery Incubator for Baby Fishes Shrimp Clownfish and Guppy. The water will flow through the box keeping the fry inside the box. 99 ($39.98/Ounce) Will a breeder net help? The fry are safely kept in … The best part is that it is not challenging to determine if the guppy is pregnant or not. Next, place the pregnant female guppy into the breeding box and add some floating plants, so she doesn’t become stressed out. If you have a breeder box you should put her in at about 3 weeks (21 days) so she will be in there if she gives birth early. This is the number one way I can tell when a pregnant female guppy fish is in labor. Make an Offer. You can either choose to rain the babies yourself or let the mother do it. Now you know what to do and how to care for her when your pregnant guppy fish is in labor. I almost never see my fish swim backwards, so if you see a fat female swimming slowly backwards for a while, you can be pretty sure that she is delivering guppy fry. So you figured out how to tell when your pregnant guppy is in labor, and now the big day has finally come! But now you have to know how to care for your guppy when she is having babies. If she is getting stressed out by all the other fish, put her in a divided area of the tank, or give her her own little tank (Important! Any advice would be apreciated. On Saturday I noticed tiny guppies swimming around the sink when I dumped a load of vaccuumed water in it, and I managed to rescue two of them, but they got … Re: How do I know when to put my guppy in the breeding trap/box? This is a quite simple and easy method, when the female guppy is ready to give birth transfer her in the breeding box, once it is done with the process, then extract her back into the tank leaving babies in the breeding box. A great article, it'll answer any question you have about the "art" of breeding guppies, plus some!! As with any pregnancy the guppies belly will grow larger and larger as the pregnancy progresses. you could cause her to miscarry if shes moved to early too. As you now know, adult guppy fish eat baby guppy fish, so if your pregnant guppy drops her fry in a tank with other adult guppies, there is little hope unless you have a LOT of live plants and hiding spots. Keep the tank between 75 and 85°F (25 and 30°C), and set up a filter in the tank to keep the water clean. She doesn't appear to be very far along though if she is pregnant. Step 3 : Selection Of Guppy Breeding Box (Aquarium Tank) Generally a breeding box or aquarium tank of 20 gallon water capacity is used for starting breeding of guppies for up to 5 fishes. 14 sold. You put the fe male inside the box … You can separate the pregnant guppy in a glass container when it is on the verge of giving birth. Return her to the main tank after she gives birth.