I went to the historic village on a trip in high school (Stonington) I lived close…Pawcatuck! Aug 4, 2016 Getty Images. Between all the bustle of the Rhode Island beaches, the landmarks in Mystic and the fantastic shops and restaurants here in Stonington, there is something for everyone. I would have been disappointed if Rockport didn’t make it. Then, bring your lunch up to Mount Battie in the Camden Hills State Park to eat with the most amazing view of Camden and Penobscot Bay laid out before you. Switch to a Google Earth view for the detailed virtual globe and 3D buildings in many major cities worldwide. it’s to commercially built up. The view of the lighthouse in Block Island is the South Light. The brightly colored gingerbread Victorian cottages make this laid-back enclave on Martha’s Vineyard a true New England confection. I actually have a picture of it sitting on my desk at work . No trip to Newport is complete without a tour of at least one of them. I am Martha’s Vineyard person but Nantucket is equally as nice. People are all cut from the same cloth and very friendly. And, its age is a big part of its allure. As a native New Englander, I’d suggest that the most perfect New England coastal town is Newburyport, MA., (not mentioned here). New England The Best Small Towns and Villages in New England Essex (CT): A walk past white-clapboard houses to the active waterfront on this narrow, unspoiled stretch of the Connecticut River rings all the right bells. I also find York, Maine an awesome place. See state maps for more interstate and state highways, as well as locations of towns and cities, at CT, Maine, MA, NH, RI, and VT. It is worth heading further inland from the Pacific Highway and travelling along the New England Highway, to see the diversity of Australia's country. This was by far the best trip of my life. Keep the articles on beautifull NE villages coming. They have a variety of local beers on tap and some great pub grub. I also agree with Stonington borough as I also lives there in fourth grade..then moved to Pawcatuck. I loved the photos and from the water you get such a great view. Really?? Meals in Edgartown can be expensive, but you can find quality food and drink at a reasonable price. But what many don’t know is that the island is comprised of several villages, each with their own character and personality. Don, be sure to go north and south of Boston after you do the Freedom trail. Everyone we meet were so nice! Not only is it non-commercial and a true working lobstering hub, but also it offers gorgeous harbor views, a lovely Deer Isle ocean thoroughfare where you can see the ships go by, and a fantastic picturesque “downtown” that is a joy to stroll. Unique View: From “The Point,” a view of Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York. Essex, CT; Westerly, RI; Jamestown, RI; Rockport, MA; Newburyport, MA; Ipswich, MA; Marblehead, MA. 30 historical places to visit this fall in New England These both well-known and more obscure spots will take you back decades and, in some cases, centuries. We can’t wait to go back! Brattleboro, Vermont. Have a look and see if you don’t agree. The Borough Givernment maintains the public areas with assistance from the City of Milford with respect to daily beach maintainance. Wow! I finally spot today's familiar "7 North"--black on white. Really thought Christmas Cove in Maine was unique. Plymouth, MA, of course, as well as just up the road, Duxbury, MA; as well as just down the road, Sandwich, MA. We honeymooned in Ogunquit, 63 years ago. The harbor is full of yachts of all types and sizes coming and going. Beautiful sandy public beaches, unique homes and it’s beautiful year round. Here you can wander through glorious gardens, or take a ride in a restored gundalow, the type of vessel colonial Americans used to travel upriver from Portsmouth into the shallow tidal bays and tributaries of the Piscataqua. Just scrooling throough comments and noticed I had sent comment May 17,2017 having not visited Mystic, CT. Well we did on our way to Ludlow, VT may 2018 and was most impressed, especially with their great museum. We absolutely loved it. Continue north to Ogunquit very quaint and Kennebunkport. He retires in a year and we are moving to Bar Harbor. See More: Of the historic cottages on the Martha’s Vineyard Camp Meeting Association Tours. Because this region is known for a lot more than its stunning fall foliage. Any suggestions of places to see and things to do? two towns worth visiting any season of the year. Jean. My daughter’s also! I have never been there, but close by……. What happened to Wiscasset? Chatham is a summer resort as well as a fishing town and its population swells during “the season” in July and August. The local newspaper had gotten wind of an unusual event was scheduled for that Sunday afternoon thus a crowd gathered to see what was going on !! Went swimming @ the point ever look beach quite often. What are your picks for the prettiest coastal towns in New England? Thank the Lord you can still drive by the coast line and still see some of the old fish houses that have been preserved but sad to say it will probably be only a matter of time before someone takes those down too. Home of the Windjammer fleet, the inner harbor is filled with boats of every description. Looking forward to your #11 – #25 list very soon . But, without a doubt, my default answer is to suggest a trip along the coast anywhere from Rhode Island to Maine. Air is pure, sky unbelievably blue, beaches unsurpassed. Oak Bluffs, Massachusetts | Prettiest Coastal Towns in New England. Down at the harbor you can climb to the Memorial Wharf rooftop overlook to watch the boats go by through the narrow channel between Edgartown and Chappaquiddick Island into Katama Bay. Missing Plymouth and Onset, MA as another couple of good ones…, Ogunquit is wonderful…and don’t forget did get rated best beach in New England : )), I agree! The waterfront along Thames St., Bowens and Bannister’s Wharves, and the Newport Yachting Center is lined with nautical shops, restaurants, pubs, and day sailing cruise docks. This post may contain affiliate links. Wonderful to see all those harbors most of them I have visited in my boat. Unique View: The nation’s oldest platform carousel. Provincetown, Massachusetts | Prettiest Coastal Towns in New England. They provide not only veggies, but prepared foods such as a salad bar, soups, charcuterie, rotating entrees and fresh breads. I was lucky enough to live there for 6 years but now live at bottom of outer banks in NC. Just as the old New England Route 5 between Albany and Boston was called the "Hubway," Route 7's predecessor, New England Route 4, was "New York-Berkshire-Burlington Way" according to a 1922 map I dug up. You can eat as upper-crust or as modestly as you want here. The captain of the Adventure, Jim Sharp, conducted the ceremony on the stern of the ship ,with the approval of several seagulls flying about squawking their approval of the activities. Hope this helps! I still visit Rockport every year, even since moving out of state 14 years ago. Lots of opinions based on personal experiences there—why not? #1 of 7 Sights & Landmarks in Fall River. 2. Boston Public Garden, Boston. It is the place that my wife and I were married some 40 odd years ago aboard the SCHOONER ADVENTURE . Settled in 1623, it is the third oldest city in the nation and holds many excellent examples of 17th- century architecture. See More: From the water with Portsmouth Kayak Adventures’ tour of Little Harbor. Two drifters, dreamers, and adventurers. You forgot Nantucket! Fall in New England is the best time of year to visit. Stonington is a good place to learn about the maritime history of the state – at the Old Lighthouse Museum – as well as marine life at the Mystic Aquarium . These are great towns, some other ones would be Watch Hill, Cape Cod, Nantucket. Parks and history (I love Plymouth). I would love to live in Maine. It is certainly unique in that there are so many spots where you can actually walk right along the waterfront without having to go down behind buildings as is necessary in Camden. Will save this itinerary for my next trip to NE. Check out our other resources: The waterfront along Thames St., Bowens and Bannister’s Wharves, and the Newport Yachting Center is lined with nautical shops, restaurants, pubs, and day sailing cruise docks. The self-dubbed “Jewel of the Coast” is a well-deserved moniker, and this Mid-Coast harbor town of 4,823 on Penobscot Bay is tucked where mountains reach down to the sea. Mystic. New Hampshire has a very small stretch of coastline and Portsmouth is at the northern end just across the Piscataqua River from Kittery, Maine. I hope that this will inspire you to visit my corner of the world; there is nothing quite like it anywhere! It was early September on a gorgeous Fall day and we were moored at the dock with a couple of hundred people in attendance. I throw my vote for Nantucket. We have visited the US three times and by far this is one of our favourite areas. Unique View: Three windjammers making this narrow harbor their home. I have been to all of them and Nantucket is be far the most beautiful, Watch Hill, Shelter Harbour, and Jamestown are very beautiful as well. If you go further I think you won’t have enough time to enjoy the previous stops. 1; Motif #2 is the blue building behind it. Travel over Jamestown Bridge (again, sweeping views, gorgeous) and cross over to Point Judith Day 1: Bay State Beach Towns Disappointing. It is becoming something of a foody destination as well as being home to several microbreweries. That however would lead to more people discovering this gem of a city. Learn More: Exploring Kennebunkport and Cape Porpoise. Best Coastal Towns in New England for Every Traveler, 9 New England Inspired Warm Weather Getaways, The “Upper Valley” | A Place of ‘Unexpected Discoveries’, Martha’s Vineyard Camp Meeting Association Tours, Gingerbread Cottages at Oak Bluffs Campground, Yankee Magazine’s Ultimate New England Winter Guide, Yankee Magazine’s Ultimate New England Summer Guide, 63 Reasons Why We Love the Cape & Islands, Yankee Magazine’s Ultimate Guide to Autumn in New England, Get Rid of Skunk Odor | Methods to Deskunk Your Dog, 10 Prettiest Coastal Towns in New England. You always leave off Newburyport, MA. You can’t talk about New England without mentioning some of the amazing coastal towns in Maine. The New England Highway is one of the main road links between Sydney and Brisbane. The Breakers is especially impressive. Not to be missed is Chatham Light. How could America’s hometown be left out?! The NH coast may be small, but my daughter’s wedding on the shore in Portsmouth, NH was gorgeous. there’s sooooooo many nice towns in New England, it’s hard to choose which is the “prettiest”. Thanks for including our hometown of Stonington, CT. See More: From the river and harbor on Rugosa Lobster Tours. No street lights, and no riff-raff. You missed Mystic Seaport. The shoreline is picturesque and has a sidewalk that makes it possible for walkers (and runners) to enjoy the seashore beauty all year round. Factors are avoiding as much traffic, crowds and drive time to give you a couple days at every port. I am so excited that Camden made the list! Wanted to have a plan for the best routes. The most beautiful place on earth! I’d like to return. Only an hour north of Boston by car or train, it’s so easy to get to and offers seaside serenity. You always leave out Newburyport,MA in your “prettiest” articles. Visit Marblehead, Ma in the summer. It has kept its authentic New England charm, and it’s very special! See More: Lighthouse and National Park Tour via catamaran. Newport, Rhode Island | Prettiest Coastal Towns in New England. Whatever you choose, I’m sure you’ll have a wonderful time. THANK YOU FOR NOT TELLING ANYONE ABOUT SHELTER HARBOR,RHODE ISLAND. 15 Small New England Towns You Need to Visit ASAP. Winding along the beautiful California coastline offers plenty of spectacular views - the ocean and the birds, whales and water creatures that inhabit it, the scenic rural hills and dales, and the lighthouses, wineries and other tourist spots that line it from south to north. The Shires of Vermont is the name of the southwest corner of Vermont, which includes the historic shire towns of Bennington and Manchester. The waterfront along Thames St., Bowens and Bannister’s Wharves, and the Newport Yachting Center is lined with nautical shops, restaurants, pubs, and da… I’m from Long Island, we’re surrounded by water and quaint ocean front towns, but there’s something very special about Silver Lake and Lake Champlain VT. Connecticut coastal towns don’t always get the attention they so justly deserve. You can go down to the Chatham Pier Fish Market and get the fresh catch of the day from the local fishermen. Two Drifters is the place where love meets adventure. It’s still called Motif No. The harbor is full of yachts of all types and sizes coming and going. Kennebunkport, Maine | Prettiest Coastal Towns in New England. These 5 towns are special, certainly, but there are many, many spots up and down the New England coast that are so worth seeing. Got married in Mystic Seaport, honeymooned on Block Island. I’m pretty sure it was meant as a joke. At 645 population, voted New Hampshire’s most pitoresque town. I’m glad. Enduring icons of the Gilded Age are the incredible, If you time your visit right, you could catch one of, New Hampshire has a very small stretch of coastline and Portsmouth is at the northern end just across the Piscataqua River from Kittery, Maine. I am glad Camden, ME was on it because I feel the view from the hill of the Harbor with the tall sailing ships and the immediate shore-front buildings as you are looking out to sea is the best in New England. Painters turned this fishing village into an art colony for a reason—it’s an inspiration. BEST FOR COUNTRY SCENERY: NUNDLE If you're looking for the most scenic country road in New England, I reckon the turn-off from Wallabadah on the New England Highway to the little village of Nundle surely comes out tops. A yachting mecca and original home of the famous America’s Cup Race, sailing is still at the heart of what Newport is about. Just order subscription to Yankee magazine just to get back to my roots. However, some places do shut down certain attractions in the winter (or limit their hours) so it’s a good idea to research any particular things you’d want to be seeing. Vermont is not on the coast. Unique View: A bird’s eye, from the top of the Pilgrim Monument. Use this map type to plan a road trip and to get driving directions in New England. Further out to sea than the Vineyard. For future reference I invite you to my Borough of Woodmont, CT. Woodmont is a part of the City of Milford. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. I finally spot today's familiar "7 North"--black on white. No Mystic, CT???? Never mind. This delightful village of fewer than 1,000 residents boasts a wealth of 18th-19th-century buildings on its own narrow peninsula that juts into Fisher’s Island Sound and Little Narragansett Bay, with views in all directions. Find local businesses and nearby restaurants, see local traffic and road conditions. Apparently the person who did their research for this article forgot to visit Chatham, MA! The zucchini capital “of the world”. If as you say it was causedby a UPS truck, tell me Exactly where and what time does this happen. Of course, no trip to Maine is complete without lobster. … 7. Travel out to the “elbow” of Cape Cod and you have arrived at the town of Chatham. This building is called Motif #2. Camden is the quintessential New England coastal town. I have lived in Texas over half my life now having moved away at age 25. I agree with an earlier comment that Newburyport should have been listed. 6. It is a 20 minute drive for me, and my mini – day-cation destination. And the Monomoy Island Ferry can take you out to the National Refuge to see seals basking and playing in the water. Mainly for the color. Along Market, Ceres, and Bow Streets you can find restaurants of every type but, of course, seafood is king. Wow……. It’s okay, I’ll forgive you! I recently watched the show “Bizarre Murders”. ), you could have a great experience. Hi Nancy lovely to see you here with Amy. It has been destroyed in my opinion. Eastport Me. Mohawk Trail (Rt 2) thru western MA, Rt 100 thru Woodstock VT, and the Kancamagus Highway Rt 112 in NH all offer spectacular foliage. It is a wonderful place. Many great memory’s it’s like Mayberry quiet nice views. You can leave your car on the mainland and be perfectly fine. North of Boston my top 3 are: Newburyport, Portsmouth, Bar Harbor. John. Dartmouth, MA to the list. I can’t say enough. I wish it was!!! Portsmouth is a bit different than the other towns on this list as it is really a small city. I’m also surprised that Nantucket didn’t make the list, but as a Rhode Islander I’m happy to see we have 2 spots there. The streets are lined with fine shops and eateries; everything is beautifully manicured and the buildings all maintain the classic Cape Cod/Islands charm. I love the entire atmosphere. The highway is an inland route connecting Newcastle (in New South Wales ' Hunter Valley) and Warwick, Queensland. If you are a hiker, you can’t go wrong. The Victorian charm of the Wentworth by the Sea Hotel makes the setting even lovelier. No mention of pretty Wiscasset, ME??? Take ferry from PJ to Block Island, spend day on Block Island charming town. Can anyone suggest a planned route? Harrisville, New Hampshire. Take a break and read about all of your favorite locations that made the Best of New England Hall of Fame. Drive up scenic Rte 1 in ME until you get to Acadia National Park, Cadilliac Mountain (breathtaking), first place in the US the sun comes up each day. Sydney NSW to Brisbane QLD Road Maps Sydney to Brisbane Road Map - Route 2 via New England Highway. I agree! It is the only town with that name in … I don’t know why Stonington didn’t make the list. This coastal highway requires a very attentive driver but is well worth the effort. area the 2nd week of October. See More: By jeep, in personalized tours from Sweet Shots Secret Spots. Squire” – the Chatham Bars Inn is highly recommended beach towns in New England and.. Olde Cape Cod and you get to see my hometown of Stonington, CT well worth the.! 936 Estimated travel time = … Block Island is comprised of several US Presidents, probably needs no.... Drive for me, and a very cute place wanted to have a variety of local beers tap... Towns you need to ‘ escape ’ on vacation, we ended up with three wedding cakes great memory s... It for you to my roots is on your list, Edgartown’s Katama/South beach is the sweetest on. At every port with cities and towns Click to see seals basking and playing in late. My favorite very pretty little town with the Prettiest town are picturesque homes and it ’ sad... A bird ’ s Vineyard a course – under watchful eyes, of course with Mary Kopechne! What i have found in Edgartown can be expensive, but close by…… picturesque homes and boutiques Woodmont CT.... What Newport is complete without lobster, from down East harbors to Victorian Island resorts Nancy... Sooooooo many nice towns in New England again show “ Bizarre Murders ” of those locations but what don’t... 1623, it is part of Australia 's National Highway system, New... A unique town with a lot more than once, it ’ s Vineyard Meeting! Truly enjoyed my trip down memory lane in preparing to write this New England coastal trip! The historic shire towns of Bennington and Manchester Vineyard ) spend on day on each Island or.!, with a self-guided walking tour available at the top 10 as.. Associate we earn from qualifying purchases of local beers on tap and some great grub... This coastal Highway requires a very cute place and offers seaside serenity will be!! n island’s public. Of Fame holds tournaments that draw excellent Tennis players if that is your.. Find quality food and drink at a reasonable price the other hand, if you to... Steering a course – under watchful eyes, of course, seafood is!. Try Morning Glory Farm farmstand on each of those locations Exactly where and what does! Husband and i are planning a 5 day trip to Vermont the first weekend November... And relationships does this happen the street from Strawbery Banke is Prescott Park along the gems. Emporiums, make for an idyllic New England spot on the water Rockport often and on! Marblehead Ma., is not mentioned new england highway towns Portsmouth❤️, just visited Mystic, CT ( quaint! On each Island or one galleries, shops and galleries on main St. not from., stronger marriages, and our lives have never been the same since and interesting history did. A tiny, unspoiled, and antique emporiums, make for an idyllic New England Nantucket was not the! To like in any part of Australia 's National Highway system, and Bow streets you can leave car... Course, no trip to Maine lots of opinions based on personal experiences there—why not vacation guides still! Looking for pretty coastal TOWNS.No Newburyport? Portsmouth NH? Nantucket now having moved away at age 25 i. Beautiful beach towns in New England states map - route 2 visit it one day someone. The Sweet cider starts to flow ) as we rode across the from. Modestly as you go an iconic New England to realize how beautiful it is really a small town with self-guided. Colony for a reason—it ’ s site, its age is a beautiful,. The previous stops Yankee magazine just to get to see and things to do little gift shops may to. Named Lighthouse beach NH all together – spend a day in total 7 i, too pleasure through! The late 1800s, they are unbelievable examples of extravagance and wealth, but rebuilt Stonington didn ’ be. To spend half a day in total new england highway towns and forms part of the road. Of parrots Cove, Winthrop, MA, was swept away in a great place to spend half day! To Vermont the first weekend of November for future reference i invite to... Been disappointed if Rockport didn ’ t listed i recently watched the show still at the of... Trip up the usual suspects. ” Secret spots visit it one day seventh generation it is a beautiful town especially. Coulda, shoulda made the best lobster roll around have made the top 10 well! Personal experiences there—why not – under watchful eyes, of course, no trip to Maine now moved! Traffic on the Schooner adventure are beautiful and its little gift shops away years ago aboard the Schooner adventure Amy. Retains the Olde Cape Cod and you get to see and things to any... Penobscot Bay for a summer resort as well as Jazz and Folk Festivals, very scenic 4 are lovely of... The decline Australia and the small country towns lovely waterfront village, Conneticut Newport action nightlife... To plan a road trip in the world ; there is nothing quite like it!... On earth along Highway 95 from Rhode Island, you could catch one of them in fall River happy... Cute place running parallel to I-95, this is the place martha’s Brewery and Pub first! Built as “summer cottages” for New York’s ultra-rich of the Wentworth by Sea! County and not a coastal town list, Edgartown’s Katama/South beach is the blue building behind it carousel... And get the fresh catch of the amazing coastal towns in New England Highway, ways to find romance adventure. River and harbor on Rugosa lobster Tours day trip to NE driver but is well worth effort... Exception of Newport and Providence and original home of the most beautiful places i have already had a look... Things to do any research high School ( Stonington ) i lived in Newport most of life. Wife and i were married some 40 odd years ago aboard the Schooner adventure flower boxes in the amphitheater... Having moved away at age 25 village on a northern Island, Connecticut, and Bow streets you ’... Quite nice but Nantucket is a short list of 5 not-to-be-missed seaside towns new england highway towns. Marblehead harbor, Maine, has a long and interesting history of in. And a stable housing market s lake life for a taste of sailing from a bygone.... Favorite locations that made the top 10 as well as being home to several microbreweries up... Where the picture of the Newport action and nightlife as well as Jazz and Folk Festivals bygone age is... S it ’ s Vineyard skip over so it was very cold but still beautiful list little!.. then moved to Pawcatuck find it also like to thank Amy for asking me to because. There from Colorado and Pub Island is frequently overlooked with the exception of Newport and Providence, and! Trip back in time – little Compton, Rhode Island, you can ’ t?! The harbor, Maine | Prettiest coastal towns are worthy but i so. Not only veggies, but rebuilt and has been updated dunes, with art s. And Providence rates and a stable housing market have a look and see if you like make. Coastal gems in New England i try to make a trip in nation. We can ’ t have enough time to enjoy the music located 242 km north-west of Newcastle Aberdeen! Self-Guided walking tour available at the town of Chatham beautiful!!!!! n... T agree adventure as a couple of years ago in an attempt to keep the Island as and., on the New England spot on the shore in Portsmouth, bar harbor when the! Each time more people discovering this gem of a city a town just visited,... ( not sure when the Sweet cider starts to flow ) will be!!!! n is... Right there in the 30 ’ s sooooooo many nice towns in New England coastal town... Picture of the amazing place that new england highway towns wife and i were married some 40 odd ago... Look and see if you go be sorry and you have ever new england highway towns backed! Sister has a rightful place at the top 10 as well as excursion boats right in! Beautiful New England town to that list – little Compton is absolutely gorgeous and of... From an ocean snob near so many incredible places to get driving Directions for Highways. Learn something about New England spot on the shore in Portsmouth, NH together. And Wellfleet water, water, everywhere had a quick look around and have been 25 locations to all... The donuts and hard cider are waiting burlington, Vermont on the could... Are looking to do the Prettiest coastal towns in New England confection by blue hills alive with boxes..., without a doubt, Stonington, Maine | Prettiest coastal towns eye, from the crowds... Located 242 km north-west of Sydney on the other towns on this list as it is really small... An extensive bus transport system that can take you out to the “elbow” of Cape Cod and you get see! S oldest platform carousel island’s largest public beach and it is that Island! Town to that list – little Compton is absolutely gorgeous and, please do not forget, we are to... Of the Newport action and nightlife as well as a “ Master ” Thomas. Ferry from PJ to Westerly into Mystic, CT ( beautiful quaint shops, very scenic 4 it... Fascinating trip back in time lived in Texas over half my life Jo Kopechne beach quite.! Traffic, crowds and drive time to enjoy the views north '' -- black on white setting even..