All in one place! It's seen children to adults, grandchildren, lots of pets, spills/accidents, a seeping mini-flood in the living room, etc. The mitigation company tore out only part of the pad -left the middle part of the damp pad and the carpet- in the room with fans blowing on it. The main purpose of carpet padding is to protect your carpeting. Now guests get their own key, Know the right solutions and when to use them to prevent stains from pets, soda, chocolate, blood and more, Carpeting adds a layer of warmth and softness to a space. The more that moves through the straw, the more that is PULLED out of the glass. Rebond pad is a much more economical choice and it does a great job at supporting your carpet as long the correct thickness and density is selected. The wide range of features and benefits makes it a great option underfoot. Always upgrade to a better quality with a moisture barrier. Benefits Comfort and Durability. [email protected] For standard nylon and poly carpets the most common is chip foam (recycled foam mostly from the furniture industry). Sometimes on sale and can be ordered through Menards. It is a cycle that must be broken. Rather than steaming carpet to ease out dunts left by heavy furniture , which is an issue particularly if it's wool (wool shrinks when you combine wool+water+heat, plus it isn't always colourfast), simply leave an ice-cube to melt, ideally slowly, on the offending dent. Ask him to get the pad for you.,and tell him you want the best pad for the carpet you choose. The one they recommended is part of the DuraPlush series. Cattle hair was such a resilient and durable material, which is what made it become very limited from the 30’s-50’s when the demand of tufted carpets grew so much. Padding has higher R value (which measures a material’s ability to keep heat from passing through it) than carpet which keeps the room warmer. Fiber Cushion: This carpet padding is used primarily to take advantage of scrap fiber and promote environmental stewardships. At Avalon Flooring, we want to make sure you’re happy from your first step in our showroom to your first step on your new flooring—and as your partner in home design, we’ll be there every step along the way. It will cost you a little extra, but the off gassing of the cheaper standard versions creates a noxious odor and is harmful for air quality - people and pets! Otherwise, a pad can be trimmed with a utility knife and a large straightedge. Let How to Handle Carpet Stains. The most noticeable spot is along one of the living room walls where I decided I did not want any furniture. In a previous home, we dealt with water issues, and EVERY time the carpet and pad were completely removed and replaced after major cleaning and everything else was dried out. For instance, an area rug 4 feet wide and 6 feet long should have a pad the same size, trimmed 1 to 1.5 inches on all sides. We have a variety of brands that you can easily choose from. It also provides thermal insulation. Carpet padding used in residential spaces usually has a density of 6 to 8 pounds, but 10 pounds are also available. Nice to hear. This is … If your house hold has pets that pee on the carpet and guests who spill copious amounts of red wine so a moisture barrier is needed, etc I do not see the wisdom of carpets at all. It depends on the type of carpet you are installing. Ask our sales professionals which particular underlayment is right for your application. Dollars restricts my choice of flooring. The manufacturing process for rebond pad involves high heat, which may kill any germs from old pad, but I used rebond in my house once and the odor after install was strong and it lasted for about two weeks. Looking for daily home design inspiration? A rug pad is usually going to be different from a carpet pad. Warranty. My old padding was 20 years old but I took a carpet sample and layed it overtop my old padding and did the same thing with the new padding, and it’s super super hard, not comfortable at all when walking on it. For the most part, you get what you pay for with carpet and a cheap carpet is just that - cheap. These fibers are needle punched together, interwoven to create a fiber pad. I absolutely love the feel (no bounce) and the fact that it also is a moisture barrier is a plus. An under-carpeting surprise joins antique furnishings and artwork to help an owner love his Netherlands home, Here's what to know about sizes, materials, costs and maintenance of this important companion to your area rugs, Tune in to a dazzling kaleidoscope of colors, collectibles and vintage furnishings in this lovingly curated, mod California home, A bistro-style coffee bar, Indian rugs and knickknacks from around the world bring global style to a New York apartment, Anyone is free to love these updated home accessories with doses of earthiness and dashes of wit, A designer helps her client update two key spaces in a home with beautiful lakeside views, Looking for more space, a San Francisco couple snatched up a unit across the hall from their condo. Share your experience! This will be the first time we have ever had to purchase carpet and I need to know as much as possible before deciding on carpet and padding brands. Call or Text (856) 644-5700 Smart Cushion has a moisture proof top…nothing gets below the carpet. This carpet cushion provides added protection and insulation while helping to reduce noise within a residential home. I have been a manufacturer sales representative for carpet pad for almost 20 years. Description - If you are looking for a comfortable, durable, yet affordable carpet cushion - then look no further than Support Plus carpet pad from Shaw. Courage is a 1/2 inch thick dense urethane carpet pad from Shaw. Google it for info. A carpet underpad stops the drafts that can seep through porous carpeting. Also, I do not know of a wool pad. The 6 pound density is the most popular because it feels softer on the feet. My original post was referring to my parents house and that new padding they put in which was 8lb rebond that we think is horrible. I have tried steaming, brushing etc. We will be changing it! We had older dogs and expected to replace the carpet and didn't want to always replace the pad. They then installed in-floor radiant heat to "dry out" the slab...only to find the movement of moisture INCREASED because of wicking/capillary action of water. It has been easy to clean, smelled great and looked like brand new. There are two basic types of fiber carpet pads: Well, a certain type, thickness and density of padding is required by every carpet manufacturer to maintain your carpet warranty and its fresh feel. For sale details, design tips and more straight to your inbox. A 7/16″ thickness is the best to choose to keep your carpet warranty enforced. Your friend will not be added to our email list unless they personally choose to sign up. There is a lot of miss-information in the comments here. It's nice to have choices, though some are made reluctantly. And we chose the "pet pad" to keep liquids at the surface. Keep us posted. Every step you take on carpet can ground dirt into fibers and break them … And considering that ground water is limitless, there is no way to "dry" out a slab that way. STAINMASTER 12.7mm Foam Carpet Padding with Moisture Barrier. If you’re not sure, just ask one of our design experts and they’ll help you choose from the finest ones we have! A great pad won't help or improve cheap carpet, but a cheap pad can age a very good quality carpet, and quickly. Sign up to receive exclusive offers, product inspiration and home design ideas. The pad keeps the underside of your carpet from wearing against the bare floor. I’m just saying it’s not comfortable to me. To sign in to your account, login using your social media account below, or enter your email address and password. Please complete the fields below, and we’ll forward your friend an email with a link to this page. A sound deadening … So how do they do it? GORILLA GRIP Original Felt and Rubber Underside Gripper Area Rug Pad .25 Inch Thick, 5x8 FT, for Hardwood and Hard Floor, Plush Cushion Support Pads for Under Carpet Rugs, Protects Floors 4.6 out of 5 stars 211 This is what you want. We were going to double up on carpet padding (memory foam 22lbs, Bavarian ball weed water wick) to soften the falls, but double padding didn't allow my walker wheels to spin with ease...hence more falling. 3-5 BUSINESS DAYS . I am very happy with my choice. And these days, most carpet pads are made from rebounded polyurethane foam, which is knows as the world’s most reused material. It's easy to scoop up the mess and treat the spot with OUT for a total clean up. I like that when I know I am going to shampoo the rugs down the road.. The "mould under plastic" is the biggest concern which is not what normally happens. We have found that even when you use a high dollar pet barrier carpet pad, pet urine will still leak through the carpet fibers and get trapped in the backing of the carpet and even though you have a pet barrier on the pad the pet urine is trapped on top of the cushion and the carpet backing is saturated and continues to wick its way back through. I don't recommend installing a super thick padding unless you understand … DuraPlush® foam technology adds superior cushioning and a rich fullness to your carpet The Duraplush Logo Mat is an all purpose mat with UV stabilised carpet ensuring it won't rot or fade. We pulled the carpet back in the area, removed the old pad, cleaned the subfloor, and replaced that area with this Stainmaster product and made such a difference. DuraPlush® foam technology adds superior cushioning and a rich fullness to your carpet HelpWire is the ultimate one-stop shop for people of all expertise levels looking for help on all kind of topics -- tech, shopping and more. This level of "wet" is rare, but it is out there. A memory foam carpet pad will make your carpet just as soft to … Just moved and SURPRISE my whitewashed wood floor is now a sunny shade of yellow!!! LifeGuard Carpet by Shaw has solved this problem so don't spend the extra money on an expensive pad, instead invest in the carpet itself. your carpet will last longer and your feet will thank you. Worst mistake ever. Like drinking from a straw. With a combination memory foam and rebond (recycled foam) you will get more of that squishy feeling under foot if that's more comfy to you. The other mash down and look old fast. Be very careful of the pad thickness! Sq Ft Needed: Roll Size ... Flooring Reviews Installation … Exactly why it works I don't know but perhaps it is the friction? DuraPlush® foam technology adds superior cushioning and a rich fullness to your carpet Generally if you are installing a wool carpet the manufacturers recommend a rubber underpad. I personally like the feel of the 6lb density, but in tearouts the 8 lb density holds up a lot better. Lots of places carry it - Home Depot for one. So, to help keep up with that demand, a new material was used–the jute plant, which had a similar feel to cattle hair. This is a good option for rugs and wall-to-wall carpet. I have geratic cats who throw up from time to time. We decided to use a very thick pad as recommended by the salesman. HOWEVER, carpet manufacturers will not honor any guarantees unless you replace the pad. Evaporation is what causes more moisture to escape. Your carpet’s worst enemy is dirt, so vacuum often. This material was an elastic mass with interconnecting cells. Mohawk SmartCushion I would expect to pay between $.59 to $.79 per square foot for this type of pad. Def insist it all comes out or get some help. a compressed hair pad is the best I used this under orientals and wall to wall and it was always good. The polypropylene carpet top is fade / UV and rot resistant suitable for medium to high foot traffic. Carpet padding is normally made from three basic material categories like rubber, foam or fiber. Maybe a little "bad press" for that insurance company here would be some incentive (hint, hint). The plastic stops the movement of moisture from moving out of the slab while at the same time there is normally enough air movement to allow the moisture to dry out...without attaching itself to carpet, sofas, walls, TV units, chairs, etc. Spent what I thought was ALOT on one for under my Odegard area carpet in my whitewashed wood floor dining room. It has not performed well in high traffic areas of my home. Lowes sells Mohawk SmartStrand carpet, as does Sears. As far as the moisture barrier mentioned, that can be of value, but if you have pet urine issues, the only way to really protect yourself from the side-effects of pet urine is to keep the pet out of rooms which have carept. Without padding under the carpet, the cold is going to come right throught the carpet. I put it over my old padding, and did the same thing with the new padding. (photos encouraged). Good Luck. New . Need advice for carpet pad and carpet type-Dixie Home True Comfort. The downside is, some people do not like the firmness of the pad. Pick a rug pad size that matches the area rug. they don't like to give you there guys . Do insurance companies usually replace carpets that get soaked? It creates a softer walk or feel to the carpet. Funny, the rebond is the least expensive and for high traffic areas. If you use a rebond pad on heated concrete, it will most likely trap the heat under the carpet. So when this product came out we gave it a try to see if it actually worked. Do they carry that actual brand or something rebadged under their name that's similar? We chose a mass market dog-dirt-brown low pile carpet which is supposed to be made of recycled plastic bottles. When you walk on "super luxury" you are walking on a plush wool. All cushions will off-gass to a certain degree because most all of them are going to be urethane or some sort of plastic. Carpet Maintenance. It's cheap carpet on these basement steps,, but the foam makes it's super soft on your feet and shoes. Rubber pad (waffle) or Rubber slab (flat) I seldom recommend using a rubber waffle pad in residential applications. Ok, but today I took my basic carpet and went to a few carpet places. I would do vinyl plank with area rugs that can be pulled up quickly if you have a water issue. Secondly, for heavy weight furniture you can purchase clear foot guards which are barely visible that are made for prevention of dents. Durkan today the durkan running line by mohawk group the durkan running line by mohawk group durkan patterns mohawk group. This is also a "green" choice because it is fully recyclable. Didn’t have to ask. So my question is, in upstairs rooms with little kids running around, I wanted to add some sound deadening under the carpet/pad so I do not hear the loud thumbing all the time downstairs. Our design consultants are equipped with the knowledge to guide you through the wide selection of products we offer, and our expert installation team is professionally trained to make sure everything gets installed the way you envision. Carpet padding also helps dampen sound. Is it more likely to grow mold now that it has been sitting in water for a long while? Upgrade the pad as well. This plush mat is great for medium to high foot traffic and removes moisture and dirt from shoes. Wish there was something I could do but I guess we're stuck. 0 Comment. Ask for Mark, he will go over and above for you, an incredibly nice man who wants to help people have healthier homes. Carpeting is a beautiful investment for any room in your home. I won't have moisture going thru 2 layers to the subfloor and the smell that will exist forever then. Rubber slab padding is often used in commercial applications over … The pet is the problem, not the floor. Durkan Carpet Pad. We were able to get the water up and dried out within 48 hours and our insurance company is still removing all of the rugs and flooring except the tile. This is an extraordinary and HEALTHY product, I highly recommend it over regular stinky toxic pad that would have given me headaches in our new home for weeks. I will definitely get a Stainmaster type pet pad since I have three cats and plan on having cats until I get too old to take care of them. Helene, do you have anyone who could intervene for you with your insurance company? Memory Foam Carpet Pad Memory foam carpet pads are essentially frothed foam, but with an extra element added to give it that signature memory foam feel. Don't remember what we had put down, I just remember being told that even cheap carpet will last a long time with good padding under it. I'm learning a lot here, and foam is SOFT and rebond for us is the enemy! That is almost a guarantee. Leggett and Platt carpet cushions provide luxurious comfort and support along with enhanced carpet appearance and longevity. It's NIGHT AND DAY difference. Not sure what the depreciation would be on carpet and pad after 14 years, but the fact that they aren't totally removing all of the carpet and pad, when mold is a far greater danger and cost after any water damage is a real red flag! When we had our house built, we chose a high end white wool berber for our formal living room. Duraplush Carpet Pad Reviews! One carpet place said "Pad is good enough". Leggett and Platt Pads The other thing I am happy about is that it doesn't leave dents. The polypropylene carpet top is fade / UV and rot resistant. • Highest insulation value for energy effi ciency • Activated carbon for extra odor protection • DuraPlush® foam technology: • Adds superior cushioning and a rich fullness underfoot I have not yet found anything similar to it while hunting around online, in an attempt to get a price point to communicate to the mitigation company.. Beware of high dollar, non-slip thin rubber pads for area carpets. Give your carpet the ultimate in comfort with Monterey®, a premium carpet cushion designed to help insulate, protect, and reduce noise from underfoot in the home. Here is a link ; LifeGuard Carpet by Shaw. I have four dogs (choice) and carpet in most of my house (not a choice). For every square yard purchased, Shaw donates $0.18 to St. Jude's Children hospital. Thank you! Unless it is latex foam, it will out-gas. StainMaster carpet cushion features a great breathable moisture barrier that helps keep many common household spills, whether they’re from pets or drink spills, from soaking through the carpet and into the cushion and subfloor in your home. So I guess this is just a word of warning to help others but do your research!!!! If you have THAT MUCH moisture that it pools heavily under the plastic (enough to allow mould growth) you have a SERIOUS problem and the plastic ain't gonna cut it! We purchased Stainmaster carpet and pet pad from the big box store. Mon – Fri 8am – 5pm, Enter your email address and we'll send you instructions on how to reset your password, Rebates Starting at $100 on New Window Treatments, Carpet Trends for 2020 – Stylish New Looks For Your Floor. Menards advertises hypoallergenic carpet by Shaw. She had to throw out a brand new yoga matt because she left it on the cement in the basement for 2 weeks. Carpet padding is also rated by its density. I do not like the trampoline like bounce sensation of foam padding. Keep that investment in great shape with Flooring Liquidators’ helpful carpet maintenance guide. any pad you are considering, needs a walk on stand test. BUT, rebond cushions often contain re-cycled foam, some of this is recycled from old carpet pad. Hardwood in a 2000 sqft house was out of our budget. By Review Home Decor | June 25, 2018. … New carpet is an appealing feature in a real estate investment, and carpet padding should never be overlooked when choosing and installing carpet. The store will likely have to contact the pad manufacturer for this information, but it is available. When you have padding, your vacuum can raise the carpet slightly and remove more dirt, which helps reduce allergic reactions. Unfortunately, I just had a water leak. You can steam carpet pad and remove the dents, but I guarantee if you move that piece back or try and remove one that has furniture on it for a long time it will not come out. It's a hard working carpet and everything has held up well. This is especially more important for upstairs rooms, but even in a basement, a pad reduces sound more than just a carpet by itself. you will get dents with any pad . When she moved it the entire underside of the matt was dusty/green. I'm not aware of anything soaking through and smells are not a problem as they have been in the past. But what about the odd aroma that tends to come with it? Several family members are severely allergic to mold and that is a constant problem in the area in which we live. The carpet is a medium grade laid over a Temperpedic memory foam pad. The old padding, is FOAM, and 10 times softer when walking with shoes or socks... My old padding is FOAM. A step above that would be a full memory foam with antimicrobial, such as Healthier Choice. No smells. The thicker the synthetic fiber cushion, the more comfort it will provide; but synthetic fiber is going to be a firm cushion. And think twice about the free pad offered by carpet retailers: Some retailers order padding by the truckload and push only one kind [source: Long's Carpet].Decide on the pad you want and ask the … Sounds like they are trying to get done fast and cheap, and will be long gone by the time the mold gets going! There are quite a few carpet pad products advertised as hypoallergenic. This is not typically what you will find in a retail flooring store, but they can order it for you. I'm so frustrated at myself for dropping the ball on this one. I once had a client have a basement that was "dry" (her words) but she admitted she couldn't leave anything on the floor because "it would go mouldy" inside of 1 month. If you had to tell someone what kind of carpet padding to spend their hard earned dollars on, which would you recommend? Usually Ships. My advice, do not be enticed by the free carpet pad offer when you buy carpet. Furniture will leave impression in all ,but tile because of the weight. A rug pad is usually going to be different from a carpet pad. Thank you very much! © 2020 Avalon Flooring, All rights reserved. I was surprised that they did not carry both the carpet and the pad away to dry out the sub flooring..They were covered in about an inch of clean water and it took almost a week dry for the carpet to dry out and the pad is still damp.