parvifolia (Royle) Schneid. Deer movement is motivated by food until breeding season. However, if the deer … So, this plant goes on my list of foods grown on my property that my rabbits can eat. You can eat them fresh or make sauces, jams or jellies with them. Autumn berries, also known as the autumn olive, are the small red fruit of the autumn olive tree (Elaeagnus umbellata), which was imported from Asia to North America as an ornamental tree in the 1830s. Cut the butter into the dry ingredients to pea-sized chunks. Autumn-olive is a many-branched, deciduous shrub or shrubby tree, growing 10 to16 feet (3-5 m) tall. Submit a question to The Olive Oil Source! The Silverthorn is also closely related to the Autumn Olive and Russian Olive, both of which have edible fruit as well (E ... Our goats eat them (and fight each other over them! I sprinkle a few in my yogurt and use them as a garnish, but cooking them greatly expands the possibilities. It has yellow flowers and yellow fruit. Do deer like olive trees? How to get rid of Autumn olive. Call to Order! When the deer gets hungry again, they go back out to feed. Deer eat many kinds of plants, including several varieties of bushes. Some view Autumn Olive as a noxious invasive weed. They’re listed as deer resistant but let’s be real. Osmanthus Fragrans (Fragrant Tea Olive) Osmanthus fragrans is an evergreen shrub for zones 7-9. In spring and again in autumn, this shrub is highly fragrant. I went online and discovered that Autumn Olive is already established in Alabama and most states East of the Mississippi River so I went ahead and ordered 10 seeds off of Ebay for $1 + $2.50 shipping! Autumn olive is easy to identify, pleasurable to eat, a nutritional powerhouse, freely available, and abundant––how could we ask for more? There are four basic options: Fencing. (Elaeagnaceae) [5,18,19,29,38,46,48,51,57,71,75,77]. Autumn Olive Berry Review. They are known to eat anything but daffodil and narcissus when starving. flour. This tells me that ruminants find it a good food source and rabbits enjoy the bark. Members of the oleaster and oleander families do not reach that size. Check out this video to learn more. And this page about olive tree care reads, "Deer love to eat olive trees. Autumn olive is well established across the Mid-Atlantic due to its extensive intentional planting to provide wildlife food and revegetate mine spoils in the mid-1900s. 2013-03-17 05:14:32 2013-03-17 05:14:32. Many people do this. A good example is my lilacs. Top Answer. We have at least twelve of these shrubs! It was introduced in the 1930s and promoted in the 1950s as a great food for wildlife. There are hundreds of other deer deterrents - electric fences, "zoo doo", dogs, human hair, sprays, motion detectors, etc. If you have deer roaming your land, you can assume that they will find and eat your trees. ), as do the birds, the horses, the cattle, the deer, a recent bear in the area (scat was full of the berries), etc. Deer consider many plants common to gardens as some of their favorites. Foraging for wild berries is one of my favorite things to do in the fall but it is also a great survival food. Repellents. Kartesz and Meacham recognize the variety Elaeagnus umbellata Thunb. If the fruit is red its Autumn Olive. Deer, like people, have their preferred foods and will always go for them first. Autumn Olive (Elaeagnus umbellata) is an invasive shrub in central and eastern United States. Is your deer habitat providing enough quality food to maximize antler size, body size, and reproduction? For weeks now, our osmanthus have been blooming heavily. Spiny leaves, thorny stems, offensive odors and strange, new plants are characteristics of plants deer don't like to eat. If deer populations aren't very high, however, or the deer haven't had a bleak winter hunting for food, they will avoid certain plants. How, exactly, do you discourage deer? They eat them every year, you just never noticed them before! As stated above, deer eat different plants in different regions. Answer: Yes, deer will eat olives. Leaves are alternate, simple, and variable in size, ranging from 0.4 to 3 inches (1-8 cm) long and 0.4 to 1.6 inches (1-4 cm) wide. Russian Olive is Elaeagnus Angustifolia. There are native … It does prefer well drained soil and does well on the edges of forests, hillsides, and abandoned fields. CRUST 1 cup all-purpose flour 1/3 cup sugar 1/8 tsp. But most of the year, deer bed where they feel secure. Thorns several inches in length are formed on spur branches. Do deer eat olive tree foliage? After only three years they are getting very large, great handsome plants. 9AM-6PM ET Mon-Fri. 9:30AM-6PM Sat & Sun If you only have a few trees or shrubs to protect, you can put barrier fencing around these individual plants. Well, we did ask for more and this wish yielded results loaded with new challenges. Boiling, mashing, and running the berries through a food mill removes the pits from the delicious pulp which can be used for sauces, jams, and fruit leather. var. PUREE 2 cups of fruit pulp 1/2–1 cup sugar (to taste) 3 tbsp. Deer are ruminants and during that bedding time is when they are fully digesting their food. This list of deer resistant plants is compiled from reports and recommendations by nurseries, garden centers, horticulture educators, master gardeners, and landscapers across the country. Identification Habit: Autumn olive is a deciduous shrub or small tree growing up to 6 m (20 ft) in height and 9 m (30 ft) in width. Here is my recipe for autumn olive berry jam. Source: Olive Oil News. The berries could be a potential cash crop to market at health food stores. Young seedlings and sprouts can be hand pulled in early spring when adequate ground moisture is present to allow removal of the entire root system along with above-ground growth. Needless to say, we have a fondness for this shrub. So what plants do deer prefer, or dislike? Also, the MSU Deer Lab is excited to announce the launch of their new podcast Deer University next Thursday (May 11th). Attempting to remove autumn olive by cutting or burning from your property can cause unwanted spreading as the shrub germinates easily. The tree features fragrant yellow flowers, green leaves, and distinctive-looking red fruit. But after a short trip through their digestive systems, the berry was utilized, but the seed hit the ground to grow rapidly into an approximately 15-foot-tall bush. Hand pulling autumn olive seedlings is an effective way to rid yourself of the plant.