In sloe gin some of the taste comes from the stone , Ah Good because i left the stones in.. too hard to get them out! Not all of it though, just the morning! When Do You Spray Pumpkins for Vine Borers? It can be so frustrating, though I hope your second planting will be in time to bear vegetables for your canning. The best time to go out and check for the adults or even the nymphs is dawn and dusk. Diatomaceous earth is made from the shell remains of a single-celled aquatic plant called diatom. I will let you know how it goes. Glad to finally have a plan that doesn’t involve chemicals. Thank you Linda.. c. You can use newspapers or cookie sheets. MORE VODKA. Spray once a week with a whole milk, the protein in it beats down the mildew.. That has to be a win win! If this dust gets that nasty little insect when … What Is Diatomaceous Earth? If rain occurs after application, you may have to reapply to maintain control of squash vine borers. Diatomaceous earth used for swimming pool filters is toxic and does not control squash vine borer or any other insect pest, and products that are labeled as insecticidal may contain chemicals such as pyrethrum, which is not safe for edible plants. The application of diatomaceous earth early in the growing season may provide effective and natural control. Thank you mad.. c. Oh, C, it’s so frustrating to sow and weed and watch and then have some bad bug snatch away your potential harvest. Best to focus on what wants to grow out here. We recently made peach jam. I gave my big old dehydrator away to one of my kids who runs it on her patio. It would not be beneficial to put diatomaceous earth “into” the soil in winter. I’ll send it with other recipes I have for you. I am not sure about my recipe. Yes, any organic remedy needs constant application as it is not systemic, but only down where the insect will lay its eggs into the main stems, I never dust close to the flowers.. and it is so sheltered in there that I only do it a couple of times a week.. so far so good though.!. Nobody wa… Diatomaceous earth irritates the mucous membranes in your mouth and nose if inhaled and the tiny diatom particles may irritate your eyes. This shed diatom deposit accumulates over time and fossilizes into the chalky rock that is known as diatomaceous earth. If you find yourself experiencing these types of infestations on your houseplants, be sure to treat it immediately. Diatomaceous earth is another natural way of controlling squash bugs it also works very well for cucumber beetles. I promised you recipes ages ago sorry about the delay; a major exam last week and a monster assignment due very soon. It was an experiment we tried because we’d made 12 jars of peach already, didn’t have enough for another full batch, and we had a grapefruit sitting around. Peach Vodka sounds yummy. Something is dining on them, and it’s not a tortoise! E, Cor! by Cecilia Mary Gunther. Diatomaceous earth (DE) is the fossilized skeletons of microscopic single-celled aquatic organisms called diatoms.Their skeletons are made of a natural substance called silica—which makes up 26% of the Earth’s crust by weight. And thanks for mentioning me – it made me feel famous! The good news is Diatomaceous Earth kills him. i keep waiting but so far nothing. Your dusting tip need to stay in my head for next year. Let cool and it will set up nearly solid. Ah a mildew. Though you should begin to dust the plant before the bug comes. While the peaches boil down, separate the grapefruit rind and the pulp. Love them..Peaches and polenta sounds yum.. c. Oh how I would love to have a peach tree!! Having many baby peaches, perhaps that would work for you this year. (Grapefruit peach teriyaki chicken anyone? The squash vine borer is the larvae of the clearwing moth known as Melittia cucurbitae. Its rear wings are transparent, while the front wings are metallic green. Sorry about your nasty bug. Squash vine borers lay their eggs inside the stems of squash plants, destroying the tissue and causing anything beyond the point where the eggs are laid to die off. I destroyed as many of the copper colored egg patches as I could find before leaving the farm for the city 2 days ago. The peaches may be small but they’re so pretty. The peaches look so abundant, even if they are small. We are not amused. I hate not being there to stop the spread. ( Log Out /  Though you should begin to   dust  the plant before the bug comes. I bet they pack a punch in flavour. Chop up both and throw the rind in a food processor until it is in very tiny bits. Christine. You might be able to poach the same peaches twice – it works for me with sloe gin, but might depend on the flavour inside the fruit. Love, There seems to be so many this year. Pack into hot jars and water bath can for 10 minutes. I been using an organic spray to stop the fruit fly that loves the ruby grapefruit………their almost ripe; all good so far! Last year (2013) was our first year to garden and had the problem pretty early on with the plants having holes in the leaves and turning yellow. Diatomaceous earth is composed of the fossilized remains of tiny organisms known as diatoms. The stuff works if applied correctly. We eat them all winter. c, I don’t think we get The Bad Bug here – not so far at least! Had never heard of the BB but my zucchini plants have looked similar. Have a great day, Celi! Diatomaceous earth is an effective organic control for snails, slugs, flea beetles, ... You can pour a thick ring around plants to deter slugs, squash bugs, and snails. I figured the more vodka the better. Oh I also have a love affair both with dill pickles and zucchini so understand your frustration only too well! Works for me…I don’t have to hear it anymore. ( Log Out /  That is one Bad Bug you have there. It’s worth a try! -About 3-4 cups chopped, cooked peaches. You know the bug that burrows into the stem of all kinds of cucurbits. Diatomaceous earth: Diatomaceous earth is a product made from ground-up rocks containing diatoms, tiny fossilized sea creatures. But it is also a pretty good deterrent. If this dust gets that nasty little insect when he lands as a flying insect it will be vamoosed. Or are they too green? We have not gotten our usual garden in this year, I am afraid, so I am going to have to depend on our farmer’s market this summer! I hope you win the war on those wicked bugs! Dusting diatomaceous earth on the flowers may harm bees that land there to pollinate your plants. It’s nice to know about something that might help. Sign up to receive notifications of new posts by email! It should and probably would be fine for the tortoise to eat as well.. sometimes i spray with garlic or dawn, Let me know how it goes though! 4. http://www.sloe.biz/pip/viewforum.php?f=5&sid=46518ebb31297357245fa72e566cf44c, I just saw a delightful recipe on Raymond Blanc: How to Cook Well episode 2 – peaches poached in white wine. Now that it is so hot they are keeling over in the heat as well. To check for them, look over mattress and furniture seams and the surrounding areas for black fecal matter and blood smears. I want dill pickles, lots of them. What a splendid idea.. i am not short of those, maybe I can dry them on the seats of the green truck! To use diatomaceous earth to kill off all bed bugs in your home, it’s important to know about the life cycle of the tiny bugs and spot signs of a bedbug infestation. I’ve never had any luck trying to grow squash because of these bugs…and the sun issue. I am also a great lover of brandied peaches, especially on a winter night. By noon, I had a batch of cherry liqueur in the works. I hope you all have a lovely day. Step 1: Since slugs prefer moisture and appear at night, it's helpful not to water your garden in the evening at the height of their activity. Also, build up the soil around the vines. Sometimes we do get that long summer.. here’s hoping! your peaches, although tiny look fabulous! Once the larvae is in the stem life is more difficult. Might try that next year with my strawberries and raspberries, what do you think? We have the same problem every year with sawfly larvae on the gooseberries and redcurrants. The microscopic shells of the diatom are covered with sharp projections, which cut into the body of an insect pest, destroying its protective waxy covering and causing the insect to dry out and die. Diatomaceous earth, a natural product that’s harmless to people, pets, and plants, can also control with minor infestations. similar to applesause added drop or 2 almond extract to up the peachyness This is just fascinating to me, Celi, and I’m really curious to see what diatomaceous earth may do for other summer garden pests. I need something more cost effective.. c. Dry it in the sun!! Diatomaceous Earth for Squash Vine Borers. Diatomaceous Earth (in food grade) is an excellent natural way to kill unwanted bugs of all types, including the squash bug. last time i had bumper crop of little peaches I also use a screen covered in cheese cloth top and bottom, laying on a hot roof, with newspaper to catch any drips. Using Diatomaceous Earth To Get Rid Of Cucumber Beetles. Hope yours do well. i froze some, made peach jelly with rest, Sorry to read of the infestation, Celi. The peaches look wonderful…our local ones won’t start until August. i took out pits, did not peel It’s delicious! I love making fruit flavoured vodka, damson is a favourite. I would imagine that the the show will be on YouTube in a day or two – it’s a very good one , Oh HOMEWORK!!! What can it be used on, what can’t it be used on, and what are you wasting your time using it on? The bugs the bugs don’t they just drive you mad! By the way, if you miss some eggs and start seeing nymphs (baby squash bugs) you can use the same method of duct tape removal. The squash bugs have already wiped out my zucchini. It should be a thick peachy soup. Baby cucumbers in cider vinegar with a little dill. Apply it only to the plants that have visible borers present to limit the chances of killing beneficial insects with diatomaceous earth. I’d attack the courgettes and cucumbers with a hammer…..serious cutting of the nose to spite the face stuff:), John knows the feeling, he has taken a knife and cut out the larvae! Squash vine borers (Melittia satyriniformis) are a serious pest of cucurbits, attacking squash plants, as well as zucchini, pumpkins and gourds. I need to pop pver and see some pics of your garden, i bet it is beautiful.. c. Good information! Do you have a dehydrator to dry your peaches? I’m on my second planting of squash and cucumbers, obviously I’m not winning yet! Don’t know about DE but I think you said you used it in the barn also to keep unwanted pests at bay? I think our peaches were too ripe and needed to be boiled down more. It wasn’t to my taste, but it did work. No squash bugs yet this year – knock wood – but I’ve lost whole crops to them, too…might explain why I have more than a dozen cucumber plants Covering the ground with the newspapers seems to help, but best before the adults emerge to lay the new eggs… V. something gave my cukes wilt and i had to take two whole plants out. I don’t have the little guys you are fighting, but a fair share of others. Diatomaceous earth is a non-toxic powder that makes an excellent pest control for your garden. Hot and wet? Diatomaceous earth is an alternative slug treatment that won't harm your plants or pets. Don't waste your time going to the garden center and spending 11 dollars on a 12 ounce can of the stuff. The piglets love them too. i don’t understand where the female ones are. He is  grey with a  triangular head, is more commonly found out here in the midwest and I hate him. Suggestions for what I can do for them? Linda I highly suggest it! c, Oh and I do have a dehydrator but it runs on electricity loudly and it is like sitting on a prickle listening to it whir away.. Or dawn . Mix a little water with it. http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com, I have a recipe for drying apricots without a dehydrator; you could try it if the peaches are small. It came out a little thin, though, even after re-processing with the no sugar needed pectin. Diatomaceous earth doesn’t harm people, pets or wildlife, but the tiny sharp edges of the microscopic fossils cut into the soft bodies of insects such as squash bug larvae and slugs and kill them. Getting Rid of Squash bugs with Diatomaceous Earth Good Morning sweet ladies, I don't think I have been that worn out as I was yesterday. usually I use half and half.. i’m not sure if the others will make it. Wonder whether they would have a happy death in said vodka [as snails/slugs do in beer here !] Pour four tablespoons of diatomaceous earth into a one-gallon jug filled with water. I have seen the suggestion where you soak liquor in something flavourful, then pour it onto a second batch of the flavour, etc until your alcohol has the strength you like. I have more peaches so i shall start another lot in a few days, the peaches are ripening very fast in this heat! Post was not sent - check your email addresses! It has a name but I have forgotton it. made peachsause Not this year though, we finally remembered after writing a reminder on the calendar IN CAPITALS!!! Avoid dusting it on flowers. Diatomaceous earth works so well to keep cucumber beetles out of our garden!. For reference, the peach jam itself was 6 cups boiled peaches, 4.5 cups of sugar and a package of pectin from the store. Or, sprinkle black pepper around the plants as a defense. I can’t see you, so you can’t see me and a floating chook! So as an experiment I have begun a peach liqueur. Down with Grey Bug! Almost all organic pest management schemes are pro active. If it's another time of day, use the wet application method. The peaches should be chopped smallish and boiled for about 10 minutes on low heat before they are measured. I know what you mean about bugs! When the peaches are done add all the grapefruit (rind and pulp) and cook for another 5 minutes. Diatomaceous Earth kills a wide range of plant bugs and insects including aphids, millipedes, slugs, ants, centipedes, and squash bugs. But another insect is often referred to as a squash bug as well. If you have a recipe I would love to hear about it. Can’t you just eat the peaches? So Greg – just get a sieve and dust your plant frequently. The label should indicate you’re using 100 percent nontoxic, food-grade diatomaceous earth with no chemical additives. Chicago John from Bartolini Kitchens sent me over as I’d mentioned never being able to grow zucchini and other squash. Diatomaceous earth harms mainly soft bodied insects and as you know the squash bug is hard bodied. I have only done fruit in brandy. http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com Not all diatomaceous earth products are safe for use on vegetables and other edible plants. (not really organic but useful) . I have a tub of DE and I put it down when the ants are particularly annoying. If Jackie's creatures are less elongated and more shield shaped, she ... dust diatomaceous earth (a mined natural product) around the base of your plants. Diatomaceous earth kills the bad squash eating bug. The moth itself is often confused with bees or wasps as it looks similar, and has distinctly red or red-orange coloring on a black body.While the clearwing moths themselves don’t really harm our plants, the larvae feed ravenously. I am going to resow, you never know, we may get a long summer. I plan to have peaches with polenta for breakfast today. If it is japanese beetle then Dawn will kill them… c. Darned bugs and their appetites that can swallow a planet. They say to put fresh newspaper around the base of plant . But question: if your garden is hit by frequent rainstorms (as are common in my pest-ridden corner of the Midwest), do you have to continually apply diatomaceous earth? . Although, I have very little in the way of drips. Also be very careful to rotate your plants out of infected soils. It only works when … . Almost all organic pest management schemes are pro active. ViV, Ah .. so i am on the right track!! ( Log Out /  Plants infested by squash vine borers suddenly wilt as water is blocked from reaching the rest of the plant by the borer eggs. You have lovely peaches! Squash bugs are masterful at hiding so look closely. https://gardenerspath.com/how-to/disease-and-pests/diatomaceous-earth Or if you have an old car/hatchback/van with all of its windows…set the fruit on screens over newspapers in the car in the sun/windows up and dry away. But there is a wicked little insect that is determined to thwart my attempts to fill the cellar with pickles. Processed diatomaceous earth that is used to control garden insects resembles talc. I am raising collards for tortoise food, and the leaves are getting a wee lacy. But whatever you do KEEP doing it ..it won’t eradicate it but it will knock it back and let the plant get healthier.. .. c, I so admire the hard work you put in whilst simultaneously thinking what a good plan it was to have gravel, instead of earth in the tiny walled garden. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. Fingers crossed. Holes in the plant stems with droppings that resemble sawdust indicate that squash vine borers may have laid eggs in your plant stems. It made three hefty pint jars of jam with a smidge left over, just enough for biscuits that night. I suspect that my patty pan and crook necks will succumb to the mean grey pests next. ran thru food mill,to get rid of peel It must be applied about once every two weeks. While I was busy elsewhere I forgot to thin the peaches and we have an enormous crop of very tiny peaches. Around here we just call those bugs stem bores. Change ). Even better is the peach grapefruit marmalade we made! There is natural pectin in the rinds of grapefruit, natural citric acid in the grapefruit, so all you need is sugar and a low boil to get a good set. Apply a thin dusting of diatomaceous earth to the foliage of your squash plant early in the morning when the plant is still damp from dew, or mist the plants with water prior to application to ensure the dust adheres to the leaves. Let me know if the BBC don’t give international access, I can always send it to you. Cucumbers, zuchinni, acorn squash – that whole family. Excellent.. c. How gorgeous peach heaven! They must hide where I am not looking. We are having a lot of green fly this year. As you’ve got so many here it is: I find it’s always difficult to think in advance about protecting growing plants. We already have so few bees I was pollinating the squash by hand. Hate it. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. When we had a peach tree it used to give bucketloads of smallish peaches, and I used to bottle them in a brandy syrup for winter puddings – from common crumbles to fancy dinner party desserts. Category: Farming, homesteading, PhotographyTags: diatemaceous earth, dill pickles, organic treatment of insects, peach liquer, sheep, squash bug, You can poach just about anything in vodka – a friend of mine even did it with a mars bars! Once their outer shell has been lacerated, the powdery DE dehydrates the insect, killing it, although […] Squash vine borers (Melittia satyriniformis) are a serious pest of cucurbits, attacking squash plants, as well as zucchini, pumpkins and gourds. heated with little water till soft but ”tis would be kind of expensive ‘solution’. So I am going to have to make a few more batches, just to try out a few different recipes you understand. She is co-founder of On Fiction Writing, a website for writers. It is a nontoxic material that contains minerals such as magnesium, iron and silicon. Thanks for the tidbit of advice. Here’s hoping your growing season is lengthy and you are able to make pickles later. Diatomaceous Earth. Celi – I like that concept. Have opened up a lot of my veggie plots to the chickens so they can do their thing. It lays its eggs, the larvae eats into the main stem and then KILLS the plant. If you are using this method sprinkle diatomaceous earth around the base of the squash plants. Does diatom powder kill bugs on collard greens? ( Log Out /  I have never seen it in the UK or NZ for that matter. The squash vine borer (Melitta curcurbitae) also tends to favor cucurbits. I too have reservations, however it is not an airborne broadcast spray, i simply dust the stems at the bottom of the plant, the bees seldom go down into the dark under there, I never dust the flowers .. so I am hoping that it does not affect my bees too much, I tried to hand pollinate my inside lemons in the winter.. no joy though.. It is harmless to humans, and many varieties are even labeled as food-grade, meaning that it is perfect for scattering around your food plants. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. :D), Oh that sounds quite divine, and thank you so much for the recipe! I hope my one and only doesn’t get this bug, and I am trying to grow achocha, have you ever tried that one, a climbing vine curcurbit called Fat Baby? I desperately want to make pickles but I think that while I was away the Bad Big got into my cucumbers. This powder does not work as well on adult squash bugs because of their hard shell, but it does help to get rid of the squash bug … i only got 2 cucumbers so far. I am convinced diatomaceous earth does a great job controlling squash bugs. A mineral pesticide valued by organic gardeners, diatomaceous earth is the powdered form of the fossilized remains of oceanic organisms. Diatomaceous Earth (DE) is a substance made up of the fossilzed remains of plankton; it looks like an off-white talc powder. Diatomaceous earth is a fine powder that is made from ground up fossils of diatoms a type of algae with a hard shell.. Guess they too like the atmosphere of the farmy ! But it is also a pretty good deterrent. The widespread use of chemical pesticides and fungicides is harmful to bees and other essential pollinators, wildlife, and domestic animals.. Public awareness of the danger of toxicity in food crops has emphasized the need to return to the use of organic methods. I shall start some tomorrow.. what a great idea! Keep the roots of the plant cool. . Louise, although diatomaceous earth used on top of the soil in the growing season may slightly slow down a few squash bugs, it won’t kill them or at least many. Excellent, i shall have a look in the morning, sometimes Youtube will work in the mornings! It might result in many peach deserts as well as peach vodka. The larvae have a plumb, white body and a brown head; the adult moth resembles a wasp, with a black body with reddish-orange markings. Morning,c! Diatomaceous earth applications around the base of the plant can be an effective method in controlling squash bugs and is a treatment that is also considered Organic. We are certainly eating them but they are about the size of a walnut! 2 Methods of Using Diatomaceous Earth on Houseplants. Make sure it is food grade. Reapply after rain. Anything with Vodka is OK with me – in fact it really is the only hard stuff I drink as I never get the morning after feeling with it. I like to use newspaper on cookie sheets to catch the drips. Even in this environment there are bugs that completely fuck me off. Farmers and gardeners today are aware of the environmental benefits of using organic products like diatomaceous earth. What a nasty grey triangular bug that is..I hate him too and his family…Just look what happened to your cucumbers!! Turn every day until where you like it. Delish! My cucumbers are being attacked by powdery mildew So far I have two nice cukes to salvage. We have never tried the diatomaceous earth, but I will put that on the list. c. It’s quite good and you’re quite welcome! My two tomato plants have dry rot, I suspect from those few days when I was out of town and the soil got too dry. LOVE seeing Mama and Tilly, so sweet, and peach liqueur sounds so yummy…perfect for summer cocktails! Diatomaceous earth has been used as a natural and safe pest control product both indoors and outdoors, but it is essential that you check the label to ensure you have the right product. Peach ice cream is just divine and of course peach and basil sauce…recipes can be dispatched post haste if needed. And the peach liqueur is really enticing. You won’t get this bad Bug as it is a native to middle america. Down with Grey Bug! Sprinkle diatomaceous earth around the stalks when the squash vines are small or the threat of squash vine borers is high (early to mid-summer). Squash vine borers are persistent garden pests, but chemical pesticides are harmful for edible plants. You can also mix diatomaceous earth with soapy water and apply to plants as a spray. Linda Adult squash bugs are around half-an-inch long, brownish-black, flat-backed, elongated and covered with fine hairs. Add the sugar to taste (at least 3 cups but more is fine) and cook for 5 minutes more, the liquid should start becoming clear and the mixture should be a little gooey. I am growing one cucumber plant this year for the first time, from seed that Misky sent me from Denmark, an asier type. I don’t know what I’m going to do with this grain alcohol left over from when I made Limoncello. Squash bugs are highly destructive and hard to get rid of as adults. Diatomaceous Earth Works Wonders with Squash Bugs Diatomaceous earth is a gardening and pest control product that is used in many different situations. -One big, ripe ruby red grapefruit. http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/peaches_poached_in_white_87156 -Three or more cups of sugar to taste. I’m wondering if the d-earth is a bit like our Derris Dust? Milkweed for Monarchs and a Daily Piggie Feast, http://www.sloe.biz/pip/viewforum.php?f=5&sid=46518ebb31297357245fa72e566cf44c, http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/peaches_poached_in_white_87156, http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com. (I like this recipe that my mom clipped and sent to me one year.) Diatomaceous earth is a dust made of the fossilized remains of one-celled plants called diatoms. Once insects contact its minute sharp edges, the DE pierces the insects’ waxy coating and causes them to dehydrate. But I am very curious to see how the liqueur turns out — I wonder which formula will be the winner? Dr. Carol DerSarkissian on WebMD says that bed bugs are about the size of an apple seed and scurry over floors, walls, and ceilings. It is applied as a powder near plants. Not sure what to do with peaches as I am not a cookie person…but vodka with peaches sounds fine and will help alleviate thoughts of Grey Bug, A general rule about anything is “The more vodka, the better.”. It cannot be treated identically to Anasa tristis, as it’s a moth species with … Miller holds a diploma in social services from Clarke College in Belleville, Ontario. That’s the challenge. I have those dumb dumb dumb bugs, too! Bed bugs live in warm locations and often make their homes in bedding, clothes, carpets, and furniture. Good morning. This would also make an amazing base for a teriyaki sauce. How to Grow Pennsylvania Crookneck Squash, The Old Farmer’s Almanac: Squash Vine Borer, Michigan State University: Squash Bug and Squash Vine Borer: Organic Controls, Purdue University Extension: Squash Vine Borer, Online Information Service for Non-Chemical Pest Management in the Tropics: Diatomaceous Earth, How to Kill Caterpillars on the Squash in My Garden. c, If you are interested, there’s a sloe gin forum with lots of other fruit and vodka recipes here: What is Diatomaceous earth? After this season though I have decided not to grow cucurbits at all. © Copyright 2020 Hearst Communications, Inc. What a dumb insect. You have such wonderful markets where you are, you probably don;t need a garden anyway .. c. I’m always worried that the DE will kill the good bugs so I have yet to use it on my plants. ... Diatomaceous Earth. How to Apply Diatomaceous Earth to Vegetable Gardens. Funny thing is that I have only ever seen two adult squash bugs in the garden. I’ve always liked the sound of diatomaceous earth (although it always gave me the impression that it would feel prickly if you breathed it in by mistake). Love MD’s links . You, their constant supply of food, are why bed bugs enjoy these locations. Especially if I start soaking my excess peaches left from canning in vodka. Those bugs must be maddening, but good that you have a solution. E. OO peach and basil sauce, that sounds divine, I have piles of basil too at the moment! We are also experimenting with ant nematodes, as the slug ones worked so well but nematodes are very expensive. , Just make more Limoncello or Limecello;I’m sure the farmy could help you to consume any excess you may have………I used to give away my excess limes to an older Italian woman who made the most sublime Limecello with them. They will burrow right into the stems and devour the soft tissues inside, causing wilting and eventual plant death. I have a LOT of tiny peaches. Splendid.. What a yucky day! So It is two bites and done, i eat about twenty a day!! How can it possibly fail. all i have are male blossoms on my zucchini. Simply follow the instructions below to eliminate slugs with DE. We have been battling them too. Borer eggs are small, flat and reddish in color and can be seen if you slit a stem open lengthwise. Pickled gherkins. The edges of these fossilized diatoms are extremely sharp and will lacerate the exoskeleton of nearly any crawling insect that comes in contact with them. Hereabouts zucchini grow into huge marrows if you don’t pick them every day (and give lots away). Net the plants when they are little. I’m going to dilute grain alcohol and add it instead of vodka. Just sprinkle it on and around any affected plants. Posted on July 16, 2013 The vodka sounds great as well! You know how people say you only need one or two zuchinni plants in your garden and you will still be trying to give them away.. not so here.. at the Farmy  and at Greg’s we have trouble with the bad bug. We just call it the bad bug. The primary focus of this piece is on Anasa tristis, most commonly referred to as the squash bug.