If a fish breaths water, do fishes fart water. Although platies may be able to tolerate brackish water, they do better in freshwater. Woah thank you! 7 years ago. Yeah it is abit like that isnt it! so a ten gallon tank should have no more ten inches of fish. Relevance. While they say mollies can live in brackish water, guppies and corys are 100% brackish water. The 4 extra are included in case some are DOA. If the area experiences winter-like cold weather, then guppies will not survive outside. Although not typically found there, guppies also have tolerance to brackish water and have colonized some brackish habitats. Guppies can, indeed, survive in brackish. Relevance. Additionally, guppies are partial to vegetables such as lettuce, peas, and cucumbers. 1 month old one inch. For example, I know that angelfish are 6 inches nose to tail, but I would be WAY overstocked if I had 6 of them in my 36 gallon. I keep mines in mildy salted water: 1 tbs marine salt per 5 gallons. That much salt isn't considered brackish water. Tolerating it and thriving in it are two different things. Guppies can also enjoy live or freeze-dried food in their diet. im sorry for giving an incorrect answer, i was trying to help, but i do see that i got it wrong now, thanks for correcting me. and for mollies it's pretty much Essential. Source(s): yes. It is really interesting learning all this, i can easily do the 50 percent water change a week,im thinking about getting a larger tank anyway when i can afford it or if someones giving one away lol, i have always looked after my tanks really well, but been unlucky buying from a certain shop, when i bought from them the fish were ill and killed off my other fish, then i had to start all over again, that happened another 2 times until, i learned my lesson that it was just a dodgy shop not me being unlucky, or a crappy fish owner. But a large number of people want to know which live plants they can use in their Supershrimp tanks. For example, a little 1 inch neon tetra has a very small biological footprint. Is my clown loach lethargic and not eating? According to aqadvisor even 3 would be pushing it. Join Yahoo Answers and get 100 points today. I want to know if guppies can live in brackish water. These fish can live in both fresh or brackish water. When feeding, be sure to avoid red cherry shrimp as it has been reported that a large population of this food source can also eat the fry (baby guppies). Guppies are also community-friendly fish, getting along with other small, non-aggressive fish. 7 Answers. can guppies live in brackish water with mollys ? Their lifespan ranges from two to three years depending on the environment where they are being raised. This might surprise you, but lots of livebearers can live (and even thrive more so) in brackish water. All fish at this time are in fresh water. They can survive in the salinity levels up to 150% that of normal seawater. As mentioned earlier, guppies do their best in brackish water. Guppies actually like brackish water best, which is water with a moderate salinity level, between pure freshwater and seawater. they are brakish water fish.but they can live in freshwater tank,brakish water tank and marine tank to... reply #3. Can I keep them in a tank with some guppies ans have brackish water? However, out of the blue one day on MFT.net somebody told me you can't keep guppies in brackish water. 1 decade ago. Unfortunately the one-inch per gallon doesn't take into account that one inch of Kuhli loach doesn't produce the same amount of waste as one inch of neon tetra, and one inch of goldfish certainly isn't the same as one inch of angel fish. I keep mines in mildy salted water: 1 tbs marine salt per 5 gallons. What’s more, they are totally compatible in terms of their preferred water conditions. Mollies and guppies enjoy brackish (very slightly salty) water, though each can live and breed in freshwater. The guppy (Poecilia reticulata), also known as millionfish and rainbow fish, is one of the world's most widely distributed tropical fish and one of the most popular freshwater aquarium fish species.It is a member of the family Poeciliidae and, like almost all American members of the family, is live-bearing. Can platies live in brackish water? 1 month old one inch. The first two photos show the adults so you can have an idea of what these may look like when grown up. 1 decade ago. I have 4 Molly/Muppy babies. I don't have enough room to set them up in there own tank. So even though you see a lot of space and think there shouldn't be a problem, it turns out there is. It's a fascinating thing. reply #4. jephil0. They’re considered one of the most beginner-friendly fish for this very reason. They are also called fancy guppies, rainbow fish, or million fish. I need to know quick are guppies cold-water fish? In fact, mollies do well in full on saltwater! Let’s get right into it: ornamental fish farms often raise guppies in brackish water! please don't just put no ... Would it be ok for a Redtail shark to live with with guppies, molly's, and ... Why the 1 inch per gallon stocking rule (usually) doesn't work, Can goldfish live in brackish water until i can get it out some how, Are Mollys brackish water fish or freshwater? So the first thing they do is to go on the internet and search for “brackish tolerant plants” or “brackish water plants”. As a rule, the fish live in clean flowing water but they like brackish nearshore waters – not salty seawater. Its a strict NO. You're on the right track. 6 Answers. so a ten gallon tank should have no … Guppies, like a lot of livebearers, can live in freshwater, brackish, or marine water. hope ive helped. This is an excellent question! Everyone puts up diff things. I have a 55 gallon tank with a violet goby and lots of guppies. it suggested a 50% water change weekly which i can do but honestly my tank does not look overstocked atall! They will live happy and longer, mollies yes guppies noooo even though mollys are freshwater they can swim in brackish for all thier lives almost if you slowly adjust it. If your fish produce an ounce of waste in an hour (example) but the bacteria that consumes the waste consumes one ounce every two hours, by the end of a day, it has consumed 12 ounces, and you have 12 ounces left in the tank poisoning the fish. here is your answer. Both mollies and guppies will do best in mild brackish. Popular live or freeze-dried foods suitable for guppies include brine shrimp, daphnia, mosquito larvae, and bloodworms . coralbandit: 12-10-2013 03:30 PM: Re: How do I make brackish water for 1 Fancy Guppy, 1 Wild guppy and 1 nerite snail? Mollies are the only fish that should be kept in brackish water, of the fish you listed. While they say mollies can live in brackish water, guppies and corys are 100% brackish water. Almost all freshwater livebearers can handle slightly brackish water (up to about ~1.005 SG) even if they don't occur in brackish water in the wild - this has to do with having the internal "hardware" to handle a small amount of salt, something that's believed to have been left over from process of evolution. myname1234565. Without that, it will disintigrate and stop supporting life. Underwater video I took of a small group of wild guppies living at the mouth of a cave near the ocean in Maui. Orange guppy. 0 0. danielle Z. Lv 7. 1 decade ago. Lots of sources say guppies can be brackish and I've seen pictures of guppies in completely marine conditions. It may dim slightly at night while the fish rests and reactivate in the morning. Best Plants for Brackish Aquariums. So the balance is chemical in nature. Anonymous. 5 Answers. They will die in those cases. Step 1 Choose a tank suitable for brackish water. ok thankyou and yes i know i used aqadvisor. The Placo will eventually die due to the salty nature of the water. If you are turning the tank brackish, when doing a water change 25% add the make up water mixed brackish. Yes they can live in brackish water. They can yes, but they need to be acclimated very, very slowly. TRACK EM (live bearers). Do you feed your fish once or twice a day? Answers please! Brad Parscale: Trump could have 'won by a landslide', Democrats back bipartisan $908B stimulus proposal, Ex-NFL lineman unrecognizable following extreme weight loss, Watch: Extremely rare visitor spotted in Texas county, Baby born from 27-year-old frozen embryo is new record, Hiker recounts seeing monolith removed from desert, Hershey's Kisses’ classic Christmas ad gets a makeover, 'Voice' fans outraged after brutal results show, 'Retail apocalypse' will spread after gloomy holidays: Strategist. While you can house 5 kuhli loaches in a ten gallon (about 25 inches of full-grown fish) and you can house 10 neon tetras in a 10 gallon (10 inches of full-grown fish)... you can't house 10, 5, or even a SINGLE 1-inch goldfish in a 10 gallon aquarium. They can live in freshwater and mild saltwater, and they will have no trouble existing together if these conditions are met in the tank’s water. No. I have a placo living with malawi cichlids. Guppies can live in brackish water but they have to be acclimatized slowly and cannot go from brackish to non brackish as they will become ill. And from what ive read the amount of gallons in your tank is the amount of inches of fish you should have. Well I was glad I could help. If you are buying them from the store you want to acclamate them for about an hour to an hour and a half. Guppies are fresh water fish and should never be forced to live with any salt in their water. thankyou thats excactly the kind of thing ive been looking for, if only i found it befor i got fish, i put in all my fish and my filter and all that and it said that my tank is over stocked! Some types of guppies have also developed tolerance to brackish water and they are now found in many countries around the world. thankyou for making me alot wiser about my tank im trying to learn as much as i can. In the wild, guppies can be found in the North of the Amazon river, North of Brazil, Guiana, Trinidad, Barbados island, and Venezuela. After you put in some fish, you can select a button to show only the compatible species (presumably compatible with the entire setup) and this way you learn a lot more about the needs of the fish you might want to get. Where is Trump going to live after he leaves office? Nevertheless, they will live happily in … The Basics of Brackish Water Tanks - A Short Guide. Get your answers by asking now. Starting from these three, they should be provided with 4 gallons of water and for any additional guppies, you should stick to the 1:1 ratio … Favourite answer. So it is best to do as much homework as possible, and then check it with a reliable source like aqadvisor to make sure that it is okay. Okay, I bought 2 platies. - Both Mollies and Guppies need to be kept in groups of at least 3 of their own kind. How many fish can I add to my 79 gallon tank? Black and Sailfin Mollies require brackish water. Mollies and Guppies really like brackish water. The more you learn the better you get at it, but it has a very STEEP learning curve for newbies (and I'm a newbie!). These guppy types are the most popular. 55gal. 0 0. While the one-inch rule is a good baseline, a better solution would be to check out a site like AqAdvisor.com where you can put into it your parameters of your tank, add in the fish you already have, read any warnings and information about stocking levels. Platies should be kept in groups of at least 3 in order to make them more comfortable. im still learning about fish. Guppies are a popular type of aquarium fish as they eat most food, tend not to bother other fish, and are easy to look after. No molly, guppy or platty can live in brackish water. Do people name their pet fish in fish tank? Guppies like mollies are all three freshwater, brackish water and full salt. The main interest around guppies is how to care for them in aquariums. Poecilia Reticulata. Some people use rocks, others use plastic plants to decorate. They tend to stay more in the fresh water, but will range into brackish as well. One Japanese scientist has successfully kept guppies in full saltwater and beyond (this is not a suggestion to try to keep guppies in your marine tank). Nor does it take into account that different creatures create different amounts of waste. They feed on bloodworm, larvae, worms and small insects. However, out of the blue one day on MFT.net somebody told me you can't keep guppies in brackish water. Trump threatens defense bill over social media rule. Experienced experts recommend your guppies should always be held as trios if there are both male and female guppies in the tank. The first two photos show the adults so you can have an idea of what these may look like when grown up. The groups need to be in a ratio of at least 2 females per each 1 male or in groups all of the same sex. Keep adding 1/2 cup of your water to the bag with the fish every 15 minutes or so. Guppies do fine in brackish water up to about half-strength seawater*; above that, pure-bred guppies usually get stressed and die**, but wild guppies and "feeder" guppies can, with care, be acclimated to full-strength seawater. Guppies are exclusively freshwater fish and dwell in clean flowing water, but they can be found in brackish nearshore waters. Yes they can live in fresh water. you read and agreed to the, What reptile can live in a ten gallon tank. - Yes, Mollies and Guppies can interbreed. Favourite answer. Guppies can't tolerate full marine like mollies though. I don't have enough room to set them up in there own tank. Lots of sources say guppies can be brackish and I've seen pictures of guppies in completely marine conditions. I'm just wondering if a little salt will harm platies? i really want to have like a fish store when im finished at college ( doing dog grooming, nothing to do with fish haha)so any knowledge i can get is amazing . Orange guppy. I want to know if guppies can live in brackish water. And the only way to get to know more is to start somewhere. Red Guppy. Guppies can live outside in ponds year-round, so long as the temperature does not fall below 68 °F (20 °C). Assuming your specific gravity is between SG 1.005-1.010, the easiest way to acclimate them is to put the guppies in a bucket of freshwater from their original tank, … And how many fish do you plan on putting in this tank it's a ten gallon am I correct , you don't want to overstock . Use drip acclimatization if changing tanks. No. Main Culprit: Farm Bred Guppies Are Raised In Brackish Water. This post was chosen to be featured as a blog, By entering this site you declare Your platies will be fine. Most livebearers come from waters that are hard and alkaline, and should be … Favourite answer. It seems simplistic, but it really isn't that simplistic. 1 decade ago. I have 4 Molly/Muppy babies. Still have questions? But what makes them happy is if you buy them aquarium salt. Some populations occur in brackish water, such as the flat, rock-attached growing form in the brackish Baltic sea. need anser quick its a ten gall. Related: Exploring The Riparium. The 4 extra are included in case some are DOA. Guppies live in brackish water or freshwater basis of Guiana, Venezuela, North of Amazon River, North of Brazil, Trinidad and Barbados islands in their natural habitat. yes guppies can live in cold water ive got 28 guppy fry and 1 middle size guppy which i rescued long time before i had the other batch, in a 10 gal tank ive had them in there for about a month and they are all doing fine they havnt got a light either. When is my live bearing fish going to have birth? How can I put sand into a tank that already has water and fish in it? Sometimes when you introduce a new fish to a tank, you have to make sure the water is balanced to work for each fish. Relevance. As long as the water is in good condition, they'll live happy healthy lives. I realy donot want to split them up. yes. What fish could live in a 1/2 gallon tank with no heater or filter? These fish can live in both fresh or brackish water. Guppies do well in freshwater aquariums, but their natural habitat is brackish water. Their larvae need brackish water to hatch and once they are older they move to freshwater habitats in the wild. 5.5g to 40l. Anonymous. But having said that, you should also know that it mainly depends on the place where they were initially raised. They cannot even live in tanks with small amounts of aquarium salt. Only the mature ones live in freshwater but the young ones start their life in salty or brackish water.