The moisture in green wood causes creosote to build up at an alarming rate. We select cut only the lesser grade trees on our property for firewood. Take the guesswork out of burning wood for heat and cooking with the best firewood tips to help your burn efficiently and effectively, including a firewood BTU chart that you can reference as you stock your woodshed. +1 for the black locust as well. The best-known firewoods are white and red oak trees. Which trees you choose depends at least in part on their availability in your area, but if you secure a winter stockpile of oak, hickory, maple, ash or black locust firewood, you’ll be rewarded with many warm, smoke- and spark-free fires on cold winter evenings. Approach to How to Make Compost. I learned to be a steward of the land and not just a consumer. Common varieties of Cedar trees used for firewood. Required fields are marked *. Gums often do well with acacia (wattles) as the smaller trees can live under a gum canopy, and are also good firewood trees in their own right. It is mostly the density and moisture content that influence its behaviour in the fire and its value as firewood. Dense hardwoods like maple and oak have a higher energy content per cord and so release more heat per firebox load. Please try again. From pohutukawa in the lower North Island, to eucalyptus in Central Otago, here are some of the best firewood trees by region. While properly seasoned firewood is a huge factor in how wood performs, there are other factors to consider. They tend to be very dense hardwoods that burn hotter and longer because of that density. Trees for firewood can be planted initially as shelter belts, and in those out-of-the-way places on farms, the areas where tractors can't readily reach. A similar advancement to the more Husqvarna chainsaws reviewed on this page. For the money, it’s one of the most affordable and toughest 20-inch chainsaws for cutting firewood out of thicker trees. However, we have found one year is not enough for hardwoods to produce the most efficient heat. © 2020, Countryside - All Rights Reserved, Charcoal Uses: A New Look at an Old Medicinal, Choosing the Right Saw from the Top-Rated Chainsaws, The K.I.S.S. They can grow to over 150 feet, but are typically seen somewhere between 70 and 100 feet tall with trunk diameters ranging from 3 to 6 feet. Words: Nadene Hall Eric Cairns has dedicated his life to growing trees. By the way, a 16 inch chainsaw is a great length for cutting firewood. Overall, Cedar firewood is on the low end when you are ranking best firewoods in terms of heat produced. They can grow to over 150 feet, but are typically seen somewhere between 70 and 100 feet tall with trunk diameters ranging from 3 to 6 feet. Now that you know what are the best trees for firewood, here are some tips on seasoning and burning that wood. I would include the oaks that grow well in your area. It’s always important to remember the ideal moisture content of cured wood is below 20 percent in your split firewood. Dry wood on the other hand produces a hot fire. Broadleaved trees are denser than softwoods such as pines and provide more heat per similar sized bag or trailer load. While I would rank this lowest on my list of best trees for firewood, I would also like to point out that it is one of the most inflammable you can ever find. Just as some types of wood aren’t suitable for making some products (it’s not a good idea to make a cutting board, for example, from softwoods such as pine or fir), some types of wood aren’t suitable for use as firewood. Some deciduous trees also don’t make good firewood. All rights reserved. Hickory. Wood that has not been seasoned for at least a year is often difficult to light and may keep going out. I discovered many 50 to 60 foot tall trees , straight with few limbs , and 12" to 15" and more at the base . Seasoning of firewood. 1. Best Firewood to burn chart UK. All of us who live off of renewable energy have to know what are the best trees for firewood.