This dog will be a heavy shedder year-round and seasonally. Be aware that this sensitivity may also be present in mixed breed puppies. But also one that was both independent enough to think for itself and dependable enough to do its job. The most well-known of these breeds in the United States are the Great Pyrenees, Anatolian Shepherds, Akbash and Maremma.Many also work as family and home guardians, and several are assistance dogs to their disabled owners, as they are sturdy enough to provide physical support. Price $500. I think it’s a care check, if one of my daughter’s isn’t feeling well he will get me to come look at her and then check on her every hour or so, he also checks the cats. anatolian pyrenees in Oklahoma at AmericanListed.com – Classifieds across Oklahoma. Akbash Dog Shepherd Mix Dog Anatolian Shepherd Great Pyrenees Bloodhound Rural Area Beacon Ny Aspen Fur Babies Adopt Aspen - adopted on Petfinder Aspen - adopted is an adoptable Dog - Akbash & Anatolian Shepherd Mix searching for a forever family near Beacon, NY. Weekly brushing is all they require, but they do shed their coat twice a year. 1 quarter Anatolian, 3/4 Pyr. Ages ranging from 2 days old to 2 years old. Lol. One is smart enough not to run, the other is not. Find Anatolian Shepherd Dog Puppies and Breeders in your area and helpful Anatolian Shepherd Dog information. Your email address will not be published. Bear this in mind if you live in a built-up area. Akbash is a native of Western Turkey, belonging to the Akbas region. While the Anatolian Shepherd Dog Rescue League is dedicated to finding homes for purebred dogs, they may be worth contacting to see if they have any mixed breed dogs available as well. ; Children - The Great Pyrenees is very child friendly. I have sense gotten rid of my goats. Does yours do that? While this can certainly be a good thing, it also means training will be more of a challenge than for some other breeds that love to please their owners. describe a dog in the Anatolian region … ), the akbash, with its strong maternal instinct, takes the responsibility in protecting the family children like they are a part of its flock, and would even guard its family by instinct by patrolling, for which reason they would be very suspicious of strangers, and would initially bark or growl as warning, however not being aggressive. Thanks for the help! National Anatolian Shepherd Rescue Network, Neuronal Degeneration in Great Pyrenees: Genetics and Breeding Decisions, Incidence of and Breed-Related Risk Factors for Gastric Dilatation-Volvulus in Dogs, Best Food for Golden Retrievers with Allergies, Best Harness For Yorkie – Best Yorkshire Terrier Harnesses With Reviews. The Akbash is a large dog, weighing from 75 to 140 pounds (34 to 64 kg), averaging 90 pounds for the female, and 120 pounds for the male. It’s weird. This breed hails from the Pyrenees Mountains on the border of France and Spain. And those paws! The Great Pyrenees Rescue Society finds homes for mixed breed crosses of the Great Pyrenees. Obviously the males are on the larger end of the scale. This dog will be big – count on it. I have 2 tan boys and 2 white girls and 2 white boys. Phone (541) 805 - 5402. My name is Cody, a fantastic Great Pyrenees-Akbash Mix with a … That’s hilarious! All Rights Reserved. Our last dog was a Pyr and Lab mix and this one is Pyr and Anatolian Shepherd mix. Wonderful herd protector for my sheep, but she has nipped the FedEx man and is quite aggressive with unknown visitors. If you’re an experienced dog owner and have space in your home for a rescue dog, this is a great option. He is very protective of his goats and if you give him a chance to look you over, he will leave you alone and not consider you a threat to his goats. About the author: Michele Welton has over 40 years of experience as a Dog Trainer, Dog Breed Consultant, and founder of three Dog Training Centers. They are 7 weeks right now ( 11/23/2020) They are Akbash/ Anatoilan/Pyrenees/Saint Bernard mix. WILL NOT come when called. But they’re likely to have a strong instinct to protect their family. I am looking for another puppy with this mix to add to the ranch. They are amazing dogs! Once or twice a week, my Husband and I drive to the end of the road and take walks in the forest behind it the place with the goats. That is the only issue we have with him, aside from his nocturnal tendancies. Anatolian Shepherd Great Pyrenees Mix Temperament Anatolian Shepherds are independent, intelligent and protective. We adopted a Great Pyrenees and Australian Shepherd mix, we got from a rescue when he was 12 weeks old, he looked like a little white teddy bear, so we called him Teddy. Bear is six weeks and Daisy is five years old in this picture. We got a pup earlier this year. Where do I begin? She LOVES to play! Are there any names/nicknames for the Akbash? They may ignore your commands if they don’t deem them important enough. I am having trouble getting them to come in. They would love to come help out on the farm. There’s a good dog in there trying to get out, but my god I wouldn’t put these two breeds together unless I was sending them out to guard sheep on the range. Let’s find out a bit more about this mix to see if she has the characteristics you’re looking for in your next dog. I also have a put lab mix dog n he took a bit to come around with her but after first month of working with them both on propose behavior to work together they are now inseperable . For those not fond of drool– he got the Anatolian rubber lips. He even tried lying down where it was just too deep...he about went all the way under. We have 2-3 1/2 year old boys, we got them when they were 8 weeks old. We have been able to train her some, believe that or not, but sit, come, down, (Stay is a work in progress) and leash training have all been coming along quite nicely. Breeders of Great Pyrenees have been focused on testing dogs for a range of conditions. The akbash is the largest of the Turkish guardian dogs, a group which also includes the Anatolian Shepherd and the Kangal. I was able to teach him to sit, stay, down, come, off and speak soon after we got him at eight weeks. He has never tried to bite anyone. Great with kids and livestock! I have this mixed breed. Despite their heritage as working dogs, in the 17th century, the Great Pyrenees also became popular in the French Courts. I think we have your dog’s evil twin!! I only know them as Akbash, many mistake them for pyrs, or lab/pyr/golden mixes. Akbash; is a very clever courageous and a dedicated family shepherd dog of Anatolia. We recommend avoiding puppy mills or pet stores. My son brought one home and he is 1yrs old now. Hi there! She looks and sounds fierce. Look up drool and Newfoundlands, and you’ll get the general idea. The down side is that she is amazingly agile and EASILY sits atop our 6’ fence, balancing gracefully on the 2 by 4 with zero effort or concern and barks at all my neighbors, inviting them to come play with her. Anatolian/Pyrenees/Akbash puppies; $500; Ready for homes! Very adorable and beautiful. They will be very large dogs. He’s only 10 months old and takes the care of his flock seriously! Great Pyrenees are calm dogs who may seem uninterested but will be watching everything carefully. We have adopted “Lucy”, who we are told is an Anatolian/Pyr mix, although she looks pure Pyr, her personality seems not like a Pyr. It’s impossible to guess the character of your Anatolian Pyrenees rescue dog or puppy. Our dog sitter (a great dog sitter, no fear of big dogs) declined to spend more than one weekend and she won’t walk him. Livestock guarding dogs have been chosen for their white color to match the flock so they are not mistaken by the shepherds for predators, most of which … She is a very good guard dog and she is really big!!! Both Anatolian Shepherds and Great Pyrenees are happiest as working dogs. Our daughter can have girl friends over, but not boys– he’s very aggressive with men. ", Bob the Pyrenees / Anatolian Shepherd hybrid dog (Anatolian Pyrenees) at 4 years old, "This is Lucy, my Great Pyrenees / Anatolian Shepherd hybrid at 2 years old. Just love that she turned out to be one of best dogs for family and my farm . If it gets really bad we walk him in a rain storm to loosen the dirt. We can look at the parent breeds again for some clues, though. I have 2 Anatolian/Pyrenees mix dogs which I got to protent my goats about 5 years ago. I don’t mind though, all her other wonderful qualities more than make up for it. We were so excited! Please call or text if interested or for questions 63one-six68zero. Great Pyrenees are calm dogs who may seem uninterested but will be watching everything carefully. I would adopt him again in a heartbeat. They only come in white and are descents of the Anatolian Shepherd which comes from the Turkish Kangal. Soooooo stubborn! As they’re both independent breeds, they may challenge your training skills and completely ignore some commands. The Akbash dog is a large, powerful dog. They belong to the Working Group, evidenced by their muscular and powerful appearance. ; Children - The Anatolian Shepherd Dog is okay with children, but the Akbash Dog does not do well with children. She loves people so much so she cries in joy with whole body wag when she greets people. Then there’s Badger, I was walking him one morning, I see there’s a cow with a newborn calf in the field, the cow came up to us and Badger got scared and hid behind me, hilarious. Great Pyrenees vs Akbash Dog - Breed Comparison | MyDogBreeds Great Pyrenees is originated from France but Akbash Dog is originated from Turkey. Does the dog in your life have a cat in theirs? In fact, it’s believed that this ancient breed has been around since 2000 B.C. Tucker gets along well with my 12 yr. Macy (shepherd mix) by adding companionship and no dull moments into our household. Wants to work. 10 week old pups out of a fb Anatolian male and Anatolian/ Akbash female. Measuring 25–32 inches high and weighing 85–100 pounds, they are also massive dogs. If he thinks one is hurt he gets very agitated until I come and see what the problem is. The best way to determine the temperament of a mixed breed is to look up all breeds in the cross and know you can get any combination of any of the characteristics found in either breed. Great Pyrenees may weigh 11 kg / 24 pounds lesser than Akbash Dog. Perhaps it is because she is only 8.5 mos old. They should at least come with their own herd of cattle or sheep! A Rehoming fee of $100 does apply. You can expect the Akbash to be on the larger side. I have a 1/8 Anatolian shepherd / Pyrenees female . If we consider the heritage of both these breeds, their primary role has been to protect their flock, whatever the weather and whatever the threat. ", "This is Boomer, our 70-lb., 1-year-old 1/2 Great Pyrenees and 1/2 Anatolian pup. Can’t imagine this breed as an indoor/leash dog, it would be a cruelty. Anyway, she is beautiful, smart, loyal and makes a perfect ESA for me and a perfect member of our family. Many breeders will screen for entropion and ectropion, where the eyelids roll inward or droop outward. Required fields are marked *. I would love to see my girl and puppies and help train them to be serviced animals as well thank you for reading and sharing your stories I look forward to hearing from anyone who might have a good suggestion thank you so much…. Herders needed a dog with a strong protective instinct. I've also met Michael and can say they both have much lighter coats than Pyrenees, which is what all of our other dogs are. After dark she begins what we refer to as making her rounds, she goes outside for a bit then inside to check on her people. Be prepared for an 80 pound PUPPY, I have to remind myself sometimes that she is still a baby! The breed first came to America just before World War II, when these two dogs were imported. It is a cross between the Anatolian Shepherd and the Great Pyrenees.The best way to determine the temperament of a mixed breed is to look up all breeds in the cross and know you can get any combination of any of the characteristics found in either breed. The Material contained herein may not be reproduced without the prior written approval of the author. NASRN is dedicated to placing unwanted, displaced and abandoned Anatolian Shepherd Dogs(ASDs) into safe, caring homes. Our work is not Public Domain. 4 kids. With mixed breeds, it can be difficult to predict with certainty the appearance of puppies as they grow up. They should be tested for hip dysplasia and patella luxation. He is a quiet household member by day but a fierce defender of our sheep and chickens at night. I enjoyed reading all of those previous to mine. So an Anatolian Pyrenees may need time to adjust to a new home if she’s a little bit older. But the love she gives n the loyalty through it all is worth every minute spent with my big fluffy girl. When strangers drive up, they do NOT get out of the car. This mix is becoming more popular, as both a working farm dog and an active family pet. She is not a fan of getting nails trimmed but it’s work in progress. They have never gotten into a fight with each other, or any other dog, they get rather loud, they start barking if any animals come near, we have cows, deer, antelope, and elk. Both Anatolian Shepherds and Great Pyrenees are generally known to be good with children. But I think she deffinatly got the stubborn streak but once u work kindly n repetativly with her she came around patience is key with the breed. This may be coupled with an independent spirit that can make training a challenge. They’re also incredibly loyal to their families and won’t hesitate to defend them if they think it necessary. With an Anatolian Shepherd Great Pyrenees mix, this is likely going to involve an above-average amount of obedience training and socialization. This is Michael from Polyface Farm in Virginia. A wide variety of classified ads Buy, rent, sell and find anything - anatolian pyrenees listings. Two males have white running off the side of their nose. The origins of the mix aren’t that well-documented though. Some anatolian shepherds may resemble either the akbash or the kangal, and this has led to a controversy surrounding whether the akbash and kangal were bred to create the anatolian shepherd. This is common in this breed and can be surgically corrected. We live in Redding, California where it gets very hot so he is currently in the house lying on the cool bathroom tile. Oh no! I cannot find any information about the Pry’s characteristics when they are little. NOT SUITABLE FOR APARTMENTS. They can be stubborn and won’t always respond quickly to instructions. Four males & 1 female 7-8 weeks old. Whines at night . She has a large yard and lives with 2 other dogs and 2 cats as well as my twins (my human children). Best of luck to your family and new fur baby! NASRN (National Anatolian Shepherd Rescue Network) is a 501c(3) non profit organization recognized and approved by the IRS. The National Anatolian Shepherd Rescue Network in the U.S. and Canada finds new homes for both purebred and mixes of Anatolian Shepherds. Bear is a goat guard dog in training. Akbash Dog (Sale) We really don't have to brush Shepard out in the spring like we do the other dogs. They also suggest testing for Neuronal Degeneration (NDG). He is 1/4 Anatolian Shep and 3/4 Great Pyr. the dogs used to stay with the goats in the barn. Link to this: Great Pyrenees vs Anatolian Shepherd Dog vs Akbash Dog – Which one is a better dog breed for you? If you like the sound of a mix between these two ancient breeds, we recommend a little background reading. Her background is unknown, except that she was bred in Alabama and discarded because she has ‘popping hocks’, an undesirable (and unsellable) characteristic. 3 males and 1 female. Both parents work on ranches. Thanks everyone for letting me share with you. Definitely a guard dog, not a lap dog. My Pyrenees is alouf , the Anatolian is by my side every step I take. Lol. The Great Pyrenees shares a similar heritage in that it was also a flock guardian. Remains of Great Pyrenees dogs have been found in fossils from the Bronze Age, around 1800–1000 B.C. they were a handful in the early years, they tend to act def, Badger does not like to be on leash or go for walks, TJ just the opposite, I can take him for walks and he can go off leash till I meet a person with a dog, he will sit in front of me and put himself between me and whoever is approaching. Purebred dogs that are comparable include the Siberian Husky and English Mastiff. Is the most difficult to train. It really seemed to make her feel more relaxed. I longed to have a dog like that. She is a wonderful dog and serves as my ESA (Emotional Support Animal). As a flock-guard dog (preying especially upon predator wolves, coyotes, bears etc. He has to smell my breath when coming up to me usually during the morning and evening time. Meet Bear. I do have a puppy 13 weeks ceasar.also have a schnauzer mix 10 and a spaniel – husky mix 2.question is would they have a problem getting along ones the puppy gets older,? She is now 10 months old ❤️… the instincts to protect are truly amazing! Shadow works at night and sleeps during the day. Help our free service by spreading information about dog breeds. The shedding? Make sure to do your research before bringing home your new puppy. Adoption Fee: $ 300.00. He is our only canine and gets great fun out of chasing my cats. Tucker is such a duffass and clumsy at 8 months. If a stranger or strange animal comes to the gate, Shadow is there in a second. Also known as the Anatolian Pyrenees, this mix combines two large, working breeds whose primary purposes have been to guard flocks of sheep. Teddy was an amazing dog, very smart, stubborn, more so than the 2 we have now. She WILL bark all night long, 8 hours straight, if coyotes are prowling in the woods, which is pretty much a constant. Adult weight will range from 85 to 150 pounds with a life expectancy of 10 to 13 years. They live in Eskisehir, Sivrihisar, Emirdag. If you have a smallholding and are looking for a versatile, mixed-breed dog that can both protect your livestock and enjoy time with your family, the Anatolian Pyrenees could be just right for you. Great Pyrenees also belong to the Working Group, and are both majestic and incredibly strong. You might be interested in See more. Link to this: Anatolian Shepherd Dog vs Great Pyrenees vs Akbash Dog – Which one is a better dog breed for you? He does really well now. I love home to death. Welcome to our introduction to the Anatolian Shepherd Great Pyrenees mix. Would not even CONSIDER having this breed with nearby neighbors. I have this breed, plus a great Pyrenees & Anatolian. PO Box 2001.