2013. (More on nightshades forthcoming in my series on common Tamil greens, as another common relative of the ground cherry is the black nightshade, Solanum nigrum or […]. is an accepted name This name is the accepted name of a species in the genus Amaranthus (family Amaranthaceae). As the seedlings grow, the reddish color slowly diminish and turns into green. Cooking notes: This is a lovely, versatile amaranth. Amaranthus dubius. Amaranthus gets its unusual common name from the ropelike deep magenta flower stalks. Glomeraria viridis (L.) Cav.. Lagrezia suessenguthii Cavaco. The seed, oil, and leaf are used as food. And that means anywhere and everywhere. To this day, amaranth grains are toasted much like popcorn and mixed with honey, molasses, or chocolateto … Amaranthus fimbriatus (Torr.) The seeds on the photo are now turning yellowish and maturing. Growing edible amaranthus dubius, spleen amaranth, or kalunay (Filipino). Title Flora of N. America Publication Some we let mature and pick leaves as needed. It originates from tropical America, where it is common … French Polynesia Society Islands Tupai Island introduced invasive Florence, J. Common name; English: ... Media in category "Amaranthus dubius" The following 11 files are in this category, out of 11 total. Share. Wow great writing,I really appreciate and love very much. These petty traders are no strangers to the women who rush out to meet them. Common name; English: ... Media in category "Amaranthus dubius" The following 11 files are in this category, out of 11 total. When I see her at the Sunday market, she barely recognizes me and makes little apology for it later. Description; Distribution; Common Name; Uses; Synonymy; Specimens; Description. “These days everyone is asking for manathakkali keerai. And that is by experience. Amaranth will tolerate drought, but it is more productive with adequate moisture. “Don’t you carry manathakkali keerai [மணத்தக்காளி கீரை]?” I ask her. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. * A prepared warm poultice of kalunay leaves can be applied to treat hemorrhoids externally. Content. Even in our hanging basket growing along with peppermint. Albersia caudata (Jacq.) The cultivated variety is sometimes difficult to distinguish from the wild kuppai keerai [குப்பைக்கீரை] Amaranthus viridis or slender/green Amaranth. Well that is, in our case. Scientific name: Amaranthus spp Family: Amaranthaceae Common name: Pigweed (English), Hanekam (Afrikaans), Thepe (Sesotho), Imbuya (isiZulu), Vowa (Tshivenda) Origin and distribution Amaranth originated in America and is one of the oldest food crops in the world, with evidence of its cultivation reaching back as far as 6700 BC. Botanical Family Amaranthaceae. It’s not always a straightforward task. But once planting was started, there's no need to plant red spinach every year as the plant self sows. * It is known in the Andes today as kichiwa and huautli to the Aztics. ex Thell. The Annual Photo Contest voting is over. My favorite sirukeerai preparation is a simple and light dal kootu, although poriyals are faster and fair game, too. I have to teach myself to listen for her, child of the modern grocery store that I am: well-schooled in thinking of agency and control in terms of choices I make, instead of parameters drawn circumstantially for me. A. dubius (common names in English include amaranth, spleen amaranth, green, green spinach, and pigweed): Likely introduced to Nigeria by early European visitors. For example, Amaranthus tricolor is mostly found in East Asia, China, and India (where amaranths are especially ancient and diverse) while A. caudatus is common (as a cereal) in the Andean nations of South America and throughout the Himalayas, and A. dubius (as a vegetable) in the Caribbean, India and China. Amaranthus dubius Mart. Common name i-Synonym i-Other names i ›Amaranthus dubius Mart. English. 2013. [Sidenote: I wish she’d get back to blogging again, she once was quite the brilliant blogging trailblazer!]. Separate the leaves from the stalks, as even the younger stalks tend to be substantial enough to demand separate attention (and cooking times). Amaranthus dubius is a weedy plant widespread throughout the humid lowland tropics. Winners will also be notified shortly. Name Synonyms Amaranthus dubius var. Amaranth pigweed preferred. thanks for stopping by! Another repairs stoves, or sell bangles and other trinkets, or even woven straw mats. We just let them grow wherever they pop up every year and harvest them as young plant, or they would occupy almost every pot :). ... Common Names. To. But do remember that just about any amaranth can be prepared as a dal kootu as well. Cooking notes: The wildest of this batch of amaranth greens, arakeerai is a great substitute for greens in just about any dish. Boiss. Flowering stem Photograph by: Scamperdale. Kalunay self sows and is everywhere. Do check out her page for some beautiful stories and facts about this […], Your email address will not be published. leptostachys Thell. Photo-taking, video-making done, we return to our regular trade in greens. Genetic diversity and relationships detected by isozyme and RAPD analysis of crop and wild species of Amaranthus. It isn't uncommon for it to bend downwards because of the weigh. “But those are not always available,” our watchman chimes in, himself a farmer at heart. Harvest young leaves for greens all summer long. A. dubius is the only known polyploid Amaranthus, but its origin remains uncertain. Look at other dictionaries: The Atlas of Florida Plants provides a source of information for the distribution of plants within the state and taxonomic information. Nevertheless, here is my localized guide, based on several hours of research and reading–sources provided where possible, for my own nerdy sanity and memory as much as anything else. Amaranthus dubius Primary tabs. Common names Bledo in language. Family. Adv. Amaranthus dubius 2012 002.jpg 1,600 × 1,200; 525 KB. It is hardy to zone (UK) 6 and is frost tender. According to Useful Plants of Boyacá Project under the synonym Amaranthus dubius Animal Food Used to feed pigs when food is scarce (Correa & Bernal 1989). It sure looks like a great thing for a salad mix. imgwisa in Kinyarwanda kwele-kwele in language. ... A comprehensive listing of Latin names with a brief list of edible parts., 183. Overview Information Amaranth is a plant. Interpretation  Amaranthus dubius Mart. Share. Could be mix with other greens for a salad too :). Common Name - spleen amaranth. “What name is ‘Noila’?” I ask the maids, when the watchman rings to ask if I should want greens today–superfluously, for I’ve been listening for her. precy anza (author) from USA on June 28, 2013: Yes Angelo, it is good in salad too. (Pigweeds) The Amaranthus genus includes over 60 species and many more hybridized species that can be found throughout the world. Common Name. Learn how your comment data is processed. Stem erect or usually ascending, 6-80 (sometimes up to 100) cm tall, glabrous to pubescent, pubescent especially upwards. That is again once planting was started, chances are seedlings of spleen amaranth will pop up their reddish little leaves underneath the soil every chance they get once the weather warms up. Follow. A. dubius is the only known polyploid Amaranthus, but its origin remains uncertain. Multilingual Multiscript Plant Name Database (M. M. P. N. D) - A Work in Progress. Is kalunay and kulitis really refers to the same plant - thornless or not? International Common Names. Amaranthus tristis Willd. Space 2-3 feet apart. The name Amaranthus dubius was first published by Martius without diagnosis and description, so it has to be considered invalid. […] doing my internet research, I came across this great article in paticheri by very talented Deepa. Growing as an annual herb, kalunay or spleen amaranth starts off as little red seedlings. The top of this spleen amaranth was pinched off for a dish calling for the nutritious green leaves. In other cases the same species may have multiple graphs because of differences in names recorded for the plant. Amaranthus dubius Mart. Symbol Key - AMDU. Preferred Scientific Name. It grows wildly and finding them would make someone's day knowing they are edible. Appl. Kalunay and kulitis as it is known in the Philippines, amaranthus dubius is known in other names such as red spinach, Chinese spinach and spleen amaranth. But reading recently that the two are the same, and that kulitis is the Tagalog word while kalunay is the Ilocano, it somehow questions the difference I've known since. Botanical name: Amaranthus tristis, Amaranthus gangeticus [yes, it’s a specifically local strain], Amaranthus tricolor, Common names: pigweed, spleen Amaranth, red amaranth. AVH is a collaborative project of the state, Commonwealth and territory herbaria, developed under the auspices of the Council of Heads of Australasian Herbaria (CHAH), representing the major Australian collections. Love this xxx. Upstairs and alone, I’m researching Amaranths and searching out correspondences between the world of Tamil cookery and that of Botanical species identification. ID - 3065. A smaller leafed amaranth, “siru” is small in Tamil. Vote HERE are your winners and runners-up! In the Ilocano dish pinakbet and dinengdeng, leaves of kalunay or speen amaranth is one of the favorite ingredients along with sweet potato tops, okra, beans, eggplant and bitter melon. Cooperative Extension, which staffs local offices in all 100 counties and with the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians. The plant is annual, erect, herbaceous dicot with a branched stem that grows up 30–150 cm with spike-like or paniculate inflorescence and broad leaves ( Figure 1 ). ... Common Names. ‘mma, keeraaai! I’d love to know what you do with amaranths, too. Description (After Townsend, 1985)An annual herbaceous plant. It belongs to the economically important family Amaranthaceae. Erect, monoecious, annual herb 2 m, sometimes becoming much branched, stout and succulent; stems green to pink, glabrous to sparsely puberulent. Spleen amaranth, red spinach or kalunay amongst many other names is a wonderful spinach substitute. Amaranthaceae. Amaranths are both commonly cultivated and wild, local and quite global, and have been cross-pollinating so much, it’s often tricky to tell the different strains apart. Nonetheless, rules of propriety are such that they must come up to my ear and whisper: “Sometimes the men in the market will layer double meanings onto à®®à¯à®³à¯ˆ by calling it à®®à¯à®²à¯ˆ.”. The plant branches out as it grows with both the branches and the stem green in color. General information about Amaranthus dubius (AMADU) Name Language; spleen amaranth: English: zweifelhafter Fuchsschwanz: German: brède de Malabar Bledo in language. Amaranth is the name given to a group of approximately 70 species of annual or short-lived perennial plants in the genus Amaranthus including several species of aggressive edible weeds native to the US such as Amaranthus retroflexus (redroot pigweed). Amaranthus floridanus (S. Watson) Sauer. ex Thell. Spleen Amaranth. I know Noila’s voice long before I know her. ... giving reasonable detail on the more common leaf crops and brief information on a wide range of lesser known plants.]. General information about Amaranthus dubius (AMADU) Name Language; spleen amaranth: English: zweifelhafter Fuchsschwanz: German: brède de Malabar Other recipes: Indira at Mahanandi has a wonderful collection of red amaranth recipes. Amaranthus dubius is used as a remedy for eczema as well while the roots are used as treatment for gonorrhea. The genus is native to Mexico and Central America. Your photos are excellent, too. I follow the lead into understanding semi-medical folk taxonomies: “Why no muļaikeerai [முளைக்கீரை] today?”, She responds in kind: “Because muļaikeerai is cooling, good for heat. Ex Thell; Preferred Common Name. The entire plant is used to make medicine. Glad you’re back. ex Thell. There are about 60 species of Amaranthus, however, only a limited number are of the cultivated ty… Everyone asks only for muļaikeerai these days.”. Amaranthus dubius : Source: NODC Taxonomic Code, database (version 8.0) Acquired: 1996 : Notes: Reference for: Amaranthus dubius ... Common Name: Scientific Name : TSN: In: Kingdom Go to Advanced Search and Report . Recognized by USDA PLANTS images, Wikidata, and USDA Plants data. The plant is self-fertile. ... A. dubius, and A. tricolor. Grain amaranth was an important crop for the preHispanic, New World civilizations. Filipino soup based dish sinigang with kalunay leaves. Health Benefits of Amaranth. Also known as red spinach or spleen amaranth. Accepted name Brède malbar Plantae > Tracheophyta > Magnoliopsida > Caryophyllales > Amaranthaceae > Amaranthus > Amaranthus dubius Mart. “Only Christians keep such names,” they respond with certitude. The graphs are built from data from all publications in the database with this species name. Homonyms Amaranthus dubius Mart. Amaranthus dubius is known in different names and is known in the Philippines as kalunay. leptostachys Moq. Whar are the other names for spleen amaranth or red spinach? Such posts take a loooooot of work — and I’m so slow, it’s almost unfair to the blog. The University of Melbourne. Women balance baskets of greens and garden vegetables on their heads. Amaranthus dubius, the red spinach, Chinese spinach, (simplified Chinese: 苋菜; traditional Chinese: 莧菜; pinyin: xiàncài), spleen amaranth, hon-toi-moi, yin choy, hsien tsai, or Arai keerai (அரை கீரை) is a plant species. It's one of those plants that pops up in our container garden every spring season or when the weather warms up with their beautiful reddish young leaves. Amaranthus hybridus f. acicularis Suess. It is also known as Amaranthus hypochondriacus, Amaranthus frumentaceus, Amaranto, Chua, Amaranthus leucocarpus, Red Cockscomb, Velvet Flower. Amaranthus dubius Mart. ex Thell. Show All Show Tabs spleen amaranth General Information; Symbol: AMDU ... Scientific Name and Common Name; Kingdom: Plantae – Plants Subkingdom ... Amaranthus L. – pigweed Species: It also provides dietary minerals and protein. Amaranthus flexuosus hort. They appear on almost every pot we have even on my hanging baskets of flowering plants. In pre-Hispanic times, amaranth was cultivated by the Aztec and their tributary communities in a quantity very similar to maize. Some stir fries the leaves of red spinach along with spices. Kalunay or red spinach bears green flowers that are clustered at the tips of the plant's inflorescence branches. Interpretation  Amaranthus dubius. Amaranthus flexuosus hort. Benth. * Amarant means "unwithering" from its Greek word amarantos. Amaranthus dubius: common name details from PIER Common name - Language - Location: Language - Location - Common name: Location - Language - Common name: Language - Common name - Location: Common name/Language/Location. ex Thell. Both recipes can be found here. Nice to hear you had an experienced with this vege. “Keerai” is the Tamil word for greens. precy anza (author) from USA on June 23, 2013: Hi Drbj :) Thank you for stopping by and the comment. Lucky are those who treats spleen amaranth as a green leafy vegetable. :). The leaves are ovate in shape and becomes shorter distally. ex Wall.. Chenopodium caudatum Jacq.. Galliaria adscendens Bubani. So Noila continues to stop by a few times a week, and I buy my greens from nobody else. Rushing downstairs, I ask Noila what greens she has left. Amaranthus cruentus and A. hypochondriacus are the species that are primarily cultivated for grain, whereas A. blitum, A. dubius, A. tricolor, A. lividus, and A. spinosus are used as vegetables. It is hardy to zone (UK) 6 and is frost tender. Plant and Seeds Amaranth is an annual, large and bushy plant usually about 90-130 cm high. Also known as: muļļu keerai, since some wild strains can have thorns (muļļu is Tamil for thorns): ordinary arakeerai (Amaranthus Dubius) is closely related to, and practically indistinguishable from Amaranthus spinosus–except when thorns are present. Coming soon. Amaranthus vegetables/greens is a common side dish on Uganda menus. It originates from tropical America, where it is common in the Caribbean. The fading reddish color totally diminished once the plant matures. Palaeobot. Never heard of this before. Common name Scientific name; Aibika: Abelmoschus manihot: Amaranthus: Amaranthus blitum Amaranthus caudatus Amaranthus cruentus Amaranthus dubius Amaranthus tricolor Amaranthus is called by the name Doodo in Luganda Common Amaranthus varieties in Uganda Amaranth is usually grown for its grain, foliage leaves or even both. ... Amaranthus dubius Mart. precy anza (author) from USA on April 03, 2014: Glad you enjoyed this hub DDE :) Thanks. Amaranthus dubius Mart. You can store the stalks in a plastic bag for a few days, refrigerated.