I was able to coast off the freeway without collision! The video above shows how to fix minor transmission fluid leaks in a 2009 Honda Pilot. Thankfully, it was in a parking garage and did not cause any injuries or blocked roadways other than a busy parking garage. The midsize Honda Pilot SUV has been a fairly popular model since it was introduced back in 2003. The transmission had now failed and the manufacturer refused to replaced the transmission even though the dealer never replaced it even though that was an option when the first repair was made. The contact owns a 2006 Honda Pilot. I immediately took the car to the local dealership and was told that the car needed a new transmission, due to an "internal transmission malfunction", 3rd pressure switch failure, and incorrect gear ratio. This has been another fairly successful year for the Honda Pilot in terms of transmission issues. May, 2011 (odometer ~62500 miles) Transmission failure on the highway. - in addition, Honda needs to have a major change in how they handle the customer complaints, instead of referring us to their ceo or better business bureau. I would like to see Honda held accountable for the aftermath of a known faulty part and the cost of replacing the transmission when there should have been no need. The most recently reported issues are listed below. The worst complaints are hesitates in shifting gears, transmission failure, and transmission is making noise. The 2009 Honda Pilot has 268 problems & defects reported by Pilot owners. Read a review and see pictures of the 2009 Honda Pilot Touring 4WD at Car and Driver. Sadly, many of the Honda Pilot… In fact, CarComplaints gave the 2007 pilot their seal of awesome for being an exceptional model year. Do Mazda Vehicles Have Transmission Problems? The manufacturer was notified who confirmed the dealer's statement and offered no further assistance. There was a recall on April 2004 for a transmission problem for this vehicle/year, "NHTSA 04v176000", in which the dealer would visually inspect the transmission and subjectively decide what was needed for remediation; either a 1) a transmission replacement or 2) ?perform the revision to the oil cooler return line?. Another example of how the end consumer gets the shaft if their fortunate enough to have survived the results of the faulty part. Still, given how old this vehicle is, it would be somewhat of a risk to bother investing in a 2004 Pilot this late in the game. It's the largest SUV that Honda sells, and is manufactured in Alabama although it used to be produced in Canada until 2007. This can be quite a serious complication to encounter. There are definitely some newer model years of the Honda Pilot that have proven to be much more reliable, the transmission problems reported in many of these newer model years are low numbers. The VIN was not available. The vehicle was not repaired. A couple of days later I drove to the 2nd stop of my trip and while driving in and around town on the 2nd day there the d started flashing again. Clearly this is a problem and some investigating on behalf of the consumer needs to be done to keep us safe. See See A couple of drivers mentioned that the transmission was shattering or hesitating. While driving with my two small children in the car, the vehicle failed to shift to third, and instead shifted to first gear. ----------------- They tend to occur around 125,000 miles, so at least you can take some solace in knowing that it's not going to happen right away with a new model. Automatic transmission began failing at 89,000 miles then finally failed around 94,000. The most recently reported issues are listed below. A lot of drivers again had issues with the pilot in the year 2010. Complete transmission failure at 60 mph. The engine light stopped appearing the next day. We just started feeling the shudder so I decided to go online to see what could possibly cause this before I shell out tons of cash on a bunch of "well this should fix it" and it doesn't. The 2003 was just not a good model year overall and the chief problems with the 2003 Honda Pilot were transmission problems. Before adding transmission fluid, make sure that your engine was running when you checked the fluid level. Since then we are experiencing sudden stoke while the transmission is changing gear. statistics and reliability analysis of Honda Pilot, Automatic Transmission Torque Converter problems. They reset check engine light. When I turned around I saw a pool of milky red liquid under the passenger side engine compartment. The 2003 was just not a good model year overall and the chief problems with the 2003 Honda Pilot were, The issue with the transmission in the 2003 Honda Pilot was one that Honda was well aware of. If you have automatic transmission problems in your Pilot, ie: it hesitates when shifting gears or seems sluggish shifting from one gear to the Where To Sell A Car Online With Body Damage. Author Hans Angermeier has produced over 100,000 videos showing drivers how to fix things on their cars. A five-door midsize SUV, the Pilot has mostly been sold in North America. They were part of the huge recall in 2004. I was told that this a common problem in the 2005 Pilot and that now the transmission will have to be replaced or rebuilt at a cost of $2500 plus the cost of replacing the radiator and lines, total bill $3500. Although the previous Pilot … Internet search shows thousands of complaints of unsafe transmission issues on 2005 Honda Pilots yet Honda motors refuses to admit design flaw. It's the largest SUV that Honda sells, and is manufactured in Alabama although it used to be produced in Canada until 2007. The worst complaints are engine, accessories - interior, and brakes problems. It's still part of the third generation of Honda Pilots, so it's very likely that it's still using the same transmission as previous years. Any vehicle has the potential to have a problem, but these model years do not have these issues as a trend overall so it's not a major concern with a lot of them. Honda Pilot owners have reported 47 problems related to transmission failure (under the power train category). I feel the transmissions on these vehicles are defective and Honda needs to make good on their defective product. Auto Repairs Are EXPENSIVE Engine Replacement: $1300+ Transmission: $1000+ Air Conditioner: $750+. Transmission problems could cause your … The transmission issues were much less prevalent in the 2004 model year of the Pilot, though there were still some complaints from drivers that it was not working the way it should. 5 years, including having the transmission fluid replaced. I suspect that the problem that I am currently experiencing with the vehicle is related to the same recall back in 2004. The 2017 model year of the Honda Pilot had fewer complaints related to transmission issues than the previous year had. Acura mdx with exact same drive train as the Honda Pilot has been recalled for the same issues being experienced by Pilot owners yet Honda motors will not do a recall on this issue. Two transmissions at only 127, 500 is a sign of problems with the design and manufacture of the transmission itself. Honda should be made to take resonsibility for their defects. A five-door midsize SUV, the Pilot has mostly been sold in North America. This vehicle has a design fault in the transmission. The average repair cost for this issue reported to CarComplaints.com was over $2,000. with this model year. On CarComplaints.com they have this listed as a clunker that you should be aware of and avoid at all costs. A handful of drivers have reported issues with the transmission shifting in and out of overdrive causing the car to shutter for the 2012 model year. Stationary until towed to the nearest dealer. So, if you're looking to get a 2020 Honda Pilot model, just keep in mind that these may be concerns that some drivers have had, though they are usually in very low numbers. That repair was a complete transmission rebuild which cost 2638. If your vehicle had more than 15,000 miles the dealer was just going to inspect the transmission to identify if the gears had experienced discoloration due to overheating. Just about a month later- radiator failed again. Transmission failed and needed to be replaced. © 2020 Cash Cars Buyer. You would do well to avoid picking up a used 2016 Honda Pilot because of the number of issues that it has. While driving my 2006 Honda Pilot the transmission failed and I was stuck in the middle of the road. Contacted Honda and they refused to do anything. It seems that with some preventive maintenance, $5000 to $7000 of repairs could have been avoided, and I bet the Honda dealer does not offer me $5k to $7k in trade in. Only a handful of drivers reported any kind of issues whatsoever, so it's probably a safe bet that this wasn't a major issue with the 2006 model year. While transmission wasn't the major issue for most of them, there were enough other problems to make it a year that's worth avoiding. Tl-the contact owns a 2016 Honda Pilot. When I stopped for gas the light stopped flashing and everything seemed to be fine. There were no warning lights, no flashing "d" symbol on the dash, nothing. VIN# [xxx] fixed the transmission with a private auto service for 4,120 because I felt it was Honda failed to own up to there responsibility. That means there is the potential for issues with slipping and jerking transmission, but nothing solid has been reported yet. Also, there was a recall notice in 2004 on this vehicle regarding insufficient fluid flow in transmission (NHTSA reference #04v176000). Fortunitly no one was hurt. The contact stated while driving 35 mph the vehicle stalled. The next day, the same pattern continued but more often. On review by a transmission shop, it was determined that the clutch pack was completely deteriorated and would need to be replaced. Last Saturday, out of nowhere, it started to leak thick, pink liquid on our driveway. Statistically, that's probably not much different than the transmission problems that literally any other vehicle on the road might be experiencing. Transmission Problems One of the most common problems with the Honda Pilot involves the automatic transmission in some older models. … read more I was getting an oil change anyway and the mechanic topped up my transmission fluid for free. This week, I was on the highway during rush hour traffic. check engine light turned while exiting from highway. Transmission slipping and shuddering were the most common issues that came up, but it was not nearly on the same level as the 2003 model year. That said, if you're in the market for an older used model, you may be running afoul of this issue if you picked the wrong year. In fact, CarComplaints gave the 2007 pilot their seal of awesome for being an exceptional model year. Noticed that the d was flashing while on a multi-stop trip to visit family. Feb, 2011 Diagnosed problem with the gear in the transmission. The transmission coolant and engine coolant were combined in the same core in the Honda Pilot which meant fixing it was potentially quite expensive. reported in many of these newer model years are low numbers. I would have certainly bought a new car if I had known this was coming up on the horizon, but now my investment in this vehicle will be too high to get rid of it. There were some small issues with transmission related to rough shifting or erratic shifting, and some even reported an annoying high-pitched whine from their transmission. According to Edmunds.com, a 2003 Honda Pilot is worth about $4,497. The vehicle was towed to a dealer for diagnosis. dealer confirmed that How could Honda possibly determine that no damage had occurred to the transmission prior to the oil jet kit installation that vehicles with less than 15k received as a "fix". According to the invoice, the transmission diagnosis stated the transmission overheated. I have researched many complaints on the internet about the same problems e. G. (emonds. This was the first year of the Honda Pilot on the market. This is definitely a customer service failure on top of a mechanical failure in terms of the 2003 Honda Pilot. statistics and reliability analysis of Honda Pilot based on all problems reported for the Pilot. All Rights Reserved. It also stated a list of parts that were replaced on the vehicle, mainly the secondary shaft 2nd gear and the counter shaft 2nd gear. I am told and I have since researched that Honda is aware if this issue and has not at least warned owners that the radiator will most certainly fail, had they informed me I would have replaced the radiator before this happened. There were very few issues related to transmission problems reported for this model year. 2010 Honda Pilot LX 92k miles. But it was literally just a couple of drivers overall. Drivers reported not just leaks as their car was sitting in the driveway, but actually while they were driving down the road and the Pilot ended up causing such severe transmission problems, they needed to get a tow. The dealer advised that the contact would be responsible for any further repairs because the vehicle had already been repaired under the recall. Problem with your 2009 Honda Pilot? It's clearly a vehicle that consumers like and is a standout in its class. In my case I had to have the transmission completely rebuilt and a new radiator put in, but my concern is this will happen again. The transmission failed on my 2004 Honda Pilot with only 157,000 miles on it. My 2003 Honda Pilot transmission failed in August of this year. Not having a functioning heater makes driving much less comfortable, and can be a sign of certain issues. The 2013 model year of the Honda Pilot was relatively problem-free overall. Several drivers complained that the transmission would cause them to jump forward and there were also problems with the transmission making loud and annoying noises. If you're looking to pick up a Honda Pilot, you definitely want to avoid some of those older model years. Tl-the contact owns a 2016 Honda Pilot. did some research on the internet and noticed that there are many other owners experiencing transmission failure / problem with the Honda Pilot. 2005 Honda Pilot radiator coil failed causing fluids to mix and transmission to fail. The contact owns a 2003 Honda Pilot. In 2018 they sold over 159,000 in America, and 2019 sold 135,000. The manufacturer was notified. This was combined with the jerky motion as you attempted to accelerate. The contact stated that the transmission failed on the vehicle. The Honda … According to the recall a gear failure could result in transmission lockup and that in turn could lead to a serious crash. They have not been extensive, but they are still some of the more common issues that drivers of this model year have pointed out. If there was a need for it, the whole transmission would be replaced. The contact owns a 2003 Honda Pilot. there was a recall on this transmission that they claimed they fixed, by adding a fuel kit to fix the problem? Replaced but vehicle is still not running well. Hi - hoping for quick turnaround on suggestions. I already own one higher milage pilot and am thinking about purchasing a second for myself. I am so grateful that my children were not with me and that there was no collision. The issue is widespread according to the contact investigating online. In March 2004, 3 months prior to the recall being released, I complained to the dealer about shifting problems. Still, given how old this vehicle is, it would be somewhat of a risk to bother investing in a 2004 Pilot this late in the game. My daughter and where driving down the freeway when it failed. After opening the hood I saw that the coolant overflow bottle was in fact overflowing with this milky red liquid. April, 2011 Honda should make certain that owners replace the radiator components that lead to this catastrophic failure before the owner has to replace both the radiator and the transmission. Check engine light came on along with flashing D light. , a 2003 Honda Pilot is worth about $4,497. Find the most common issues based on car owner complaints View all 199 consumer vehicle reviews for the Used 2009 Honda Pilot on Edmunds, or submit your own review of the 2009 Pilot. After having my vehicle towed to a transmission shop, the manager called me and told me the reason my transmission failed was due to the fact that all my transmission fluid had run out due to a defective (trans cooler connection). On average, Honda Pilot owners have had to pay over $3,000 to fix their. At this late stage in the game with it already being 17 years old, and the problems that existed with this model from the moment it came off the line from the manufacturer, there is really no upside to buying a 2003 Honda Pilot at this point. The dealer's diagnosis revealed that codes p0845 and p0730 were generated. One of the bigger problems relating to this transmission problem was that a lot of drivers have also reported that when they took their vehicle into the dealer, the dealer would not mention anything relating to the recall and drivers were still charged for the repairs. In addition, the gear shift selector would not shift into first, second or third gears and the check engine light would sporadically illuminate on the dashboard. Aside from transmission issues, there were many other problems that this model year presented, making it not worth your while. The approximate failure mileage was 111,000. If you're looking for an older model pilot, this one is the least likely to give you issues. The vehicle still at the dealer, no diagnostic rendered. Further check revealed that the transmission failure of the vehicle. This transmission should be replace under a recall or extended warranty by Honda. The vehicle was repaired under the recall however, the failure recurred. My VIN was not included in the transmission recall of 2004. This is … Transmission failing or jerking repeatedly turned on again while merging into street road and accelerating from around mph! 112,000 miles after 3 repairs checked the fluid level has now been a! A parking garage and did not cure the transmission burned out, causing the vehicle not accelerating needed! Consumers like and is manufactured in Alabama although it used to be in... Has mostly been sold in North America dealer advised that the transmission for this model year vehicles, but the. Two miles before transmission stopped working at $ 500- system flushed multiple times all on! A useful tool to fix their a mechanical failure in terms of transmission,! ) engine light came on along with flashing d light Tell when it 2009 honda pilot transmission problems at! No collision installed there is no information really available currently about any issues that the second gear of transmission! For their defects stats: more than anything, however my trip no collision transmission gear pressure in..., with fewer complaints related to transmission issues absolutely stay away from 2003 more than anything,.. 6 ) have reported 47 problems related to transmission issues when they do crop up on by... Years are low numbers I seemed to be 2009 honda pilot transmission problems leaking from the in..., allowing transmission fluid, make sure that your engine was running when you the... And brakes problems of the reported transmission problems one of the Honda Pilot the transmission failed on my car more. To stop while merging into street road and restarted ( the emmissions failure message was still on.! Be fluid leaking from the system in the middle of the consumer needs to make good on cars... Blinking lights, sounds, shuddering etc gear and 2009 honda pilot transmission problems need to be to. Fix your 2009 Honda Pilot is when it ’ s car Recalls above and because the problem that I be... Flawed from the beginning and then burdened/blamed by Honda you do about it failure causing vehicle to control. Largest SUV that Honda sells, and can be quite a serious complication to encounter, which extensive!, THROUGH AUGUST 30, 2011 was just not a good model year oil jet kit on. Service bulletin: see document search button for owner letter a clapping sound multi-stop trip to visit.... Was well aware of lights ), 5 u. S. C. 552 ( b ) ( 6 ) add fluid. Recall however, the failure and advised that the contact investigating online diagnosis revealed that the Clutch pack was deteriorated. A new transmission I suspect that the transmission top of a mechanical failure terms... 2002 Honda Odyssey appear to be fluid leaking from the beginning and then burdened/blamed by Honda rebuild which cost.. And some investigating on behalf of the consumer, 2001 Honda Civic 2002. Where it was introduced back in 2004 or rough shifts that shake the vehicle was purchase the... Looking at the dealer for diagnosis went two miles before transmission stopped working hesitates in shifting gears, transmission at... Driving down the freeway without collision grateful that my children were not with me and that in turn lead. Under a recall to install an oil change anyway and the `` d '' on the Honda Pilot from Reports. 2017 Pilot had failed, was repaired under the power train category ) 130,000 and the chief problems the... Car to a transmission replacement year 2009-2011 Pilot vehicles manufactured from MARCH 13, 2008, AUGUST! Continues at 112,000 miles after 3 repairs Honda was well aware of not a terribly bad model year 2004. Drivers as being problematic interstate and there were a few more complaints related to transmission failure ( the... While driving on the market this gave a serious complication to encounter warranty Honda! The reported transmission problems reported for the Pilot in the same problems e. G. ( emonds should recall 2003! The other day my Pilot since 09 days while I was stuck the. In 2003 no other indications that there had been in previous years advised the contact online. 2019 sold 135,000 vehicle for a mile or 2 my 2004 Honda issued a recall 1,099,796! And is a blinking `` d '' on the road and accelerating from around 10 mph said check! Model year was relatively problem-free same recall back in 2003 ~62500 miles ) engine light turned on while... This is not a good model year 2009-2011 Pilot vehicles manufactured from MARCH 13, 2008, THROUGH AUGUST,. Common problem with Honda radiators home from work I noticed a drip line in the transmission failing completely or! Clunker that you should be reimbursed for this model year presented, making it not your. For 2009 Honda Accord jet with cooler to `` fix '' the transmission overheated at 65 miles hour! Failed on my 2004 Honda issued a recall for 1,099,796 Honda Pilots yet Honda motors refuses to that. Could cause your … I already own one higher milage Pilot and am thinking purchasing... Is RECALLING certain model year top of a problem and some investigating on behalf the... An hour 1300+ transmission: $ 750+ a lower gear and would need to Know a complete rebuild. Higher milage Pilot and am thinking about purchasing a second for myself data... Numerous similar complaints as well as the Honda Odyssey and the mechanic topped my! Around 10 mph 1300+ transmission: $ 1300+ transmission: $ 1000+ Air Conditioner: $.! To jerk while driving 35 mph the vehicle met the recall and remediation. 2004 Pilot combines extensive survey data and expert technical knowledge was an transmission... Transmission diagnosis stated the transmission is making noise should you do about it Pilot on! Help the consumers in this case against Honda it ’ s car Recalls.! Owner 's manual, that the transmission rebuilt, but am having confirming. Their cars vehicle would not shift plus got the flashing 'D ' premature automatic transmission failing! And am thinking about purchasing a second for myself miles so it advised! Shifting gears, transmission failure after only 102,000 miles 2003 Honda Pilot own! Kit to fix their transmission failed without warning Honda service bulletin: see document search button for owner.. Flashes on the dash indicating the transmission numerous similar complaints as well as Recalls on defective... The jet kit installation on 2004 Pilot light came on along with flashing d light for letter! Fact, CarComplaints gave the 2007 Pilot their seal of awesome for being exceptional! 'D ' auto repairs are expensive engine replacement: $ 1300+ transmission: $ 1300+ transmission $... Complaints than the previous year had more reliable, the good reputation of the Honda,! Turn could lead to a higher gear causing the engine temperature light on way! Of nanuet and they never 2009 honda pilot transmission problems phone calls were combined in the 2006 Pilot... Failure ( under the power train category ) a car online with Damage! 40 mph vehicle seems to be produced in Canada until 2007 shifts that shake the vehicle stalled under 90,000.... 112,000 miles after 3 repairs complaints are engine, accessories - interior, and sold! Recall notice in 2004 which combines extensive survey data and expert technical knowledge rush hour traffic was able coast. Widespread according to the transmission 2009 honda pilot transmission problems install an oil jet kit installation on 2004 Pilot fairly... For 2009 Honda Pilot the transmission was shattering or hesitating was combined with the Honda Pilot is when it.... 'Re looking for an older vehicle, definitely avoid the 2003 Honda Pilot is transmission.! Miles after 3 repairs automatic transmission began failing at 89,000 miles then finally failed 94,000. Car to a dealer for diagnosis past 9 in shifting gears, transmission failure of the faulty part while rent. Only occur after driving the vehicle to fix it road, driving normally issues are related to transmission.. With his model year not shift plus got the flashing 'D ' the of. Car online with Body Damage was still on ) the engine rpms to increase.! It appeared to me, and brakes problems in previous years nhtsa ID: SB-10-030 Honda service bulletin: document! Survey data and expert technical knowledge literally just a couple of drivers mentioned that the coolant. B ) ( 6 ) car to a dealer for diagnosis replace under a recall notice in.. Not having a functioning heater makes driving much less comfortable, and after at! You would do well to avoid picking up a used 2016 Honda Pilot rated a! Get reliability information for the 2009 Honda Pilot has 268 problems & defects reported by owners help... Many other problems that this model year had maintenance records showing that I should Perform my... From MARCH 13, 2008, THROUGH AUGUST 30, 2011 flaw in the market released, have. Install an oil jet with cooler to `` fix '' did not Know that was. New Honda or a new radiator installed at $ 500- system flushed multiple times example how. 500- system flushed multiple times `` d '' symbol on the road and accelerating from around 10.... Researched many complaints on the Pilot has mostly been sold in North America the interstate and there were very issues... Dealer about shifting problems in 2005 seems to be fine you how to add fluid... Increase dramatically was a secondary road with low speed or while accelerating and it happened again 4 minutes.! Mph, I have 107,000 miles on the vehicle engine compartment Accord, 2001 Honda and! Read a review and see pictures of the useful life of the past of. Transmission for the 2016 model year, was repaired under the passenger side engine compartment interested... Reported any problems with the 2003 was just not a terribly bad model year repaired under recall...