the effect of cobalt on raising martensite start temperature inspires me an idea . Typically instead the steel designer increases the level of carbon to the point that the steel can be austenitized. I swap the parts around. (This is not heat-related). There are no knife steels with corrosion resistance equal to 316, perhaps Vanax or LC200N approaches 304 but it depends on what type of test is being performed. The primary difference is out-of-this-world edge retention at the cost of a minimal reduction in toughness. But, If you’re a Diver, Hunter, Kitchen Chef, or you use your knife in humid places, and you’re looking for premium steel, I wouldn’t recommend the Maxamet I would instead go for the S110V stainless steel. In heat treatments of S30V, S35VN, S45VN, and SPY27, an increase in austenitizing temperature was found to increase both hardness and toughness, so this result would be consistent with that. Note that the values below are normalized to the hardness of the tested toughness specimens. P'Kal™ G-10 Black. As a rule, the harder the steel, the easier it breaks, so the Maxamet steel is very hard steel that can break very fast, but it’s tough enough to handle some beating, damaging work. Und nach meinen Recherchen spricht einiges dafür, daß S110V zäher als S90V ist, also etwas weniger zu Ausbrüchen neigen sollte. $160.00. However, niobium is a “stronger” carbide former than vanadium, meaning it can form niobium carbide even in the presence of high amounts of chromium. But for simple slicing tasks, this knife will go on for a seriously long time. I didn’t know how realistic is Jmatpro but I’m sure that 0.5% carbon should secure 55-60 HRc hardess . Or very high toughness with AEB-L or 14C28N. The Griptilian is comfortable but it feels totally different in your hands versus the PM2. Below I have plotted the steel also in relation to other stainless steels along with a hardness-toughness trendline from S60V. If you frequently use your knife to slice up cardboard, there may not be a better steel than CPM-S110V. You can see that the carbon in solution is similar across the three grades, meaning each would achieve similar hardness. My edge testing shows how various steels retain absolute sharpness at the fine cutting edge vs man made materials, in this case, fibrous rope. Maxamet ist der neueste Pulverstahl von Carpenter (auch bekannt als CarTech). It’s was a belt for knives with a different chemical composition, it has a high volume of Tungsten and high in carbon which is revolutionary in the knife industry. Es hatte geheißen, daß Armhaare nicht denkbar seien. Your email address will not be published. My edge testing shows how various steels retain absolute sharpness at the fine cutting edge vs man made materials, in this case, fibrous rope. That said, S30V is a great steel! $295.00. In terms of carbide differences, the total carbide content was slightly increased in the final version, primarily from an increase in chromium carbide (labeled M7C3 below). The Mo content of M390 is lower, however, so it is difficult to predict how things balance out when comparing higher Cr vs higher Mo. See more hardness measurements of S90V in this article. This might be happening because the knives are from different manufacturers, using different heat treat and blade grinds? The reduction in Nb may have led to the other changes in the steel. Sharpness: Sharpening Maxamet steel, unfortunately, will be a hard task, it’s very hard steel, so sharpening won’t be easy, also for grinding if you’re a knife maker you won’t enjoy grinding Maxamet steel. Spyderco Native 5 Lightweight Dunkelblau Klappmesser Taschenmesser C41PDBL5 CPM-S110V 4,4 von 5 ... vs the Sage 5, but not enough to stick with the lock back. S90V and S110V both offer superior carbide structure and toughness when compared with M398. Machinability: Maxamet steel is a great steel for machinability thanks to Sulfur(If you’re interested in Maxamet for a machine, the company offers an improved “Sulfur” Maxamet for machinability with 0.23% of sulfur). Maxamet. Ball milling is used to refine carbides when they are added directly to powder, such as adding tungsten carbide to steel powder prior to HIPing. This behavior was seen with M390 when austenitizing too high. But I can get the S90 decently sharp. Niobium, like vanadium, forms very hard carbides that contribute greatly to wear resistance. $205.00. Through over a month of consistent use, my Paramilitary 2 blade was still sharp enough to slice through phone book paper and stick against my thumbnail. $200.00. Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. Replacing nickel with cobalt in 316 would not make it hardenable has it would still need significant amounts of carbon to form hard martensite. Regardless, the edge retention of the steel is high and perhaps worrying about whether or not it is as good as S90V isn’t of practical use. To put S110V into context, we should compare the composition of the steel with previous Crucible products to see how the evolution led to S110V. $160.00. If the carbides form in the liquid they are much larger then if they form during solidification of the powder. $255.00. Spyderco Native 5 Lightweight Dunkelblau Klappmesser Taschenmesser C41PDBL5 CPM-S110V 4,4 von 5 ... vs the Sage 5, but not enough to stick with the lock back. The results of these … For reference, steels like S110V and ZDP 189 are taken up to the low 60s (maybe as high as 65 for ZDP-189). Here is the datasheet. Von Gesichtsrasur war ja ausdrücklich nicht die Rede. In older versions of ThermoCalc it showed that S110V with 2% Co would be fine, which Crucible would have been using at the time, but newer versions show a small amount of ferrite at 2150°F, around 4%. S30V is not in the same wear resistance class as the other steels, but the design of that steel may have influenced the others so I included it. However, this steel has high hardness and corrosion resistance which can mean excess retained austenite which sometimes leads to inflated toughness values. Metallurgy and Testing of Knives and Steel. Opus™ $218.00 SALE. Buy Spyderco Native 5 Signature Folder Knife with 2.95" CPM S30V Black Steel Blade and Black FRN Handle - CombinationEdge - C41PSBBK5: Pocket Knives & Folding Knives - Amazon.com FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases I have a spreadsheet of all of the heat treatments I have done in the past along with ThermoCalc estimates of elements in solution. Like many other very high wear resistance stainless steels (S90V, M398) it was developed for plastic injection applications which necessitate a combination of high wear resistance and high corrosion resistance. Making high corrosion resistance steels with high chromium in solution also leads to more retained austenite, as explained in this article on Vanax steel. I have seen almost no discussion of the change in composition, and I think most people are unaware that it ever changed. You’ll pay for it though, at roughly 1.5x the price. Para Military™ 2 G-10 Dark Gray Maxamet. $265.00. There is another aspect of S110V vs S90V that I would like to mention. Get a free guide on Knife Sharpening to find out how you can achieve more. The patent for the steel was first filed in 2006 by inventors Alojz Kajinic, Andrzej Wojcieszynski, and Maria Sawford, all of Crucible Steel. What is its hardness? Para™ 3 G-10 Black/Black Blade. They have the same blade grinds, and they are heat treated and processed by the same manufacturer, of course. This improvement in corrosion resistance was expected based on the modifications with Nb and Mo that were described earlier. Perhaps they identified high Mo as an issue as well, such as difficulty in annealing or excessive hardenability leading to cracking during cooling after forging. Sie ist lediglich nicht mehr fein geschlossen. A similar comparison was made in the patent, as 11% V is roughly equivalent to the V-Nb combination in S110V. You’ll find Maxamet on some Spyderco offerings like the Native 5 and Manix 2. But for simple slicing tasks, this knife will go on for a seriously long time. Manufacturing Technology - MM. The corrosion performance didn’t seems impressive . With S110V having quite a bit of each of those elements the steel cannot be fully hardened when it has no cobalt in it. $160.00. S110V has very high edge retention, as expected, being similar to CPM-10V. If there is any steel in Crucible’s line up that is likely to inherent the mantle of “awesome all around performer” from S35VN (which, in turn, took it from S30V), it will be this steel (or one yet released). Para Military™ 2 Left Hand G-10 Black . According to the chemical composition and the HRC of the Maxamet steel, it offers the following features: Edge Retention: With a hardness above 65HRC, due to the high amount of Tungsten, Vanadium, and Carbon, the Maxamet steel knife has the best edge retention. Here is the datasheet. Previous steels like S60V, Elmax, and M390 all had 17-20% Cr which gave them more chromium carbide and less vanadium carbide. Plus cobalt reduces toughness, especially when used in amounts greater than 5%. Pacific Salt™ 2 Black Blade. S110V's data sheet mentions, for example, that it has better corrosion resistance than S90V. $250.00. So if you intend to use in humid environment, you better take care of your knife, other than that it’s a great steel of an EDC knife. The reasoning and test results seem totally convincing, but I can imagine companies preferring to stick with the steel makers reccomended heat treatments. MAXAMET and S110V both share a low toughness, Maxamet offers better edge retention while the S110V offers better Corrosion resistance. Or maybe they thought it gave a bit more “factor of safety” to ensure full austenitization would be possible. The cobalt content was increased from 2 to 2.5%, likely based on updated estimates of how much austenite stabilization is necessary after the changes to Nb, Cr, and Mo. (from my limited experience and the specific design goals for … I will discuss the differences after describing more about the general design of the steel. Read all 5 Reviews » Paramilitary 2 Series. But S30 at least eventually gets sharp, S110 never does (for me). Pacific Salt™ 2. The same knives in S110V are listed about 30% cheaper than the Maxamet knives of the same model. In an attempt to clear out some of my unused knives, I’m putting up some of my Spyderco Mule Team blades. The Manix 2 LW is available at most retailers for around $80.00. Learn more in this article about carbides. If better toughness than S90V is desired then it would be best to move to lower edge retention steels like S35VN and Vanax. These two factors mean that using niobium instead of vanadium can lead to a steel with high wear resistance from hard niobium carbides, while having high corrosion resistance because there is little interaction between chromium and niobium, leaving the chromium alone to contribute to corrosion resistance. As you can notice, it has only 4.75% of Chromium, which means its not stainless steel, and it’s very high in Vanadium and Tungsten, which makes a tough alloy with excellent wear resistance. Manufacturing Technology - MM. S110V's data sheet mentions, for example, that it has better corrosion resistance than S90V. I will use “0888” and “0888MAX” interchangeably throughout this article except for when specifically discussing the steel below. Try as I might, I can’t get S110 to push cut paper at right angles. I then calculate Ms and plot vs hardness to see where hardness starts to drop from excess RA. $200.00. Yes, it does, it’s not a stainless steel Knife (It has only 4% of Chromium in it), so if you use it as a kitchen knife, hunting knife, or diving knife, make sure to take care of it to keep it in shape. adding niobium carbide “if all regarding problems solved” to this steel can push hardness/edge retention to a very high numbers . $305.00. You’ll pay for it though, at roughly 1.5x the price. Auch von einer Ruinierung der Schneide kann nicht die Rede sein. So more heat treatments would have to be tested to see if greater toughness at lower hardness could be achieved. However, S90V and the modified S110V (labeled 11V) have 11.5% Cr in solution while S110V (9Nb-3.5Nb) has 12.3% Cr in solution, which would provide better corrosion resistance.

maxamet vs s110v

Montgomery County, Md Zip Codes Map, Spyderco Chaparral Frn Vs Dragonfly, We Are What We Do Quotes, Nubwo N12 Review, Ms-101 Microsoft 365 Mobility And Security Pdf, Strength To Love Online Book, Bdo Mass Processing Exp, Matanuska Glacier Ice Caves, Sennheiser Gsp 350 Vs 300,