I don’t think I can bring myself to completely replace my chocolate chip cookie recipe, but I am DEFINITELY bookmarking this for the next time I specifically want bars. Made these last night for a weekly community group we do in our neighborhood. i’m just finding this recipe. So good – especially while still a bit warm. These cookie bars are SO good!! Spread the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes. Thanks for letting me know. Cut into squares and serve. So I just made these last night and they were so wonderful! (I use a 9x13 pan and they come out just fine - I like a slightly thicker bar cookie anyway.) I made these last night. Try adding 2 tablespoons more flour – sometimes just a touch more flour does the trick! I have never really thought of chocolate chip cookie bars as Blondie’s before, and I think that is a long-running mistake. Thanks for all the great recipes!!!! Debbie – yes, the batter is pretty thick. PREHEAT oven to 375 degrees F. COMBINE flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. I tried this recipe and added Nutella and caramel sauce to the batter. I am very picky and it is hard to please me and these bars, they did it. Made these over the weekend and they are fantastic. Is that achievable with this recipe without compromising the chewiness/texture of the bars? The first time I made them (a few years ago), I made them three times in three days! My kids would love a heart shaped chocolate chip cookie with a scoop of ice cream on top! I would like to have that appealing golden brown look on the tops of the bars. PREHEAT oven to 375°F. Yum! I love the easy cleanup too with the tinfoil. I’m going to try the cookie variety next time! Thank you for all your yummy recipes. Brian waxes poetic when I live on the edge and throw in some butterscotch chips. These were delisious! They are so easy, there really isn’t a reason NOT to make them three times in three days! We called them Candy Jar Bars. both receive and transmit information at radio frequencies. Stir in semi sweet morsels and nuts. It is also a great recipe to hand off to the kids so they can make dessert for company . http://www.thebaconharvest.com/best-choc-chip-cookies/. Mel, I have been meaning to comment on these for months. I loved how quickly these came together-my six year old did most of the work! Super easy to mix up and super easy to eat! Cut into squares and serve. sounds good and i am wondering if you all decided on a “best time” to bake them so they won’t be gooey, but not dry either. Made these and took them to a gathering. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. I definitely had to bake longer, but there were just as good as we remember! Will that be ok? Add the flour. Thanks for the quick reply. Love this. Cook Time: The bars are super delicious too! I tried these and they were fantastic! Thank You Mel Great Job! Chelsea – perhaps or depending on how you measure flour, the dough might have been overfloured. Line a 9X13-inch baking pan with foil, letting the excess hang over the edges of the pan by about 1 inch so you can grab those edges and pull the brownies from the pan after they have baked. Hi ladies, I have made these cookie bars 5 times now and only once have I gotten them to turn out. Totally filled my homemade dessert craving! I messed around and put 2 whole eggs. Thank you! Prep Time: I am baking for my family (big one) for Christmas and was looking for a good recipe. I’ve made something similar to this, too! I was told I had to bring these next week, and to please double the batch. I plan to make these next week for my daughter’s preschool class using mini M&M’s and chocolate chips. We chopped up a bunch of Easter candy from our candy jar and threw it all in – Kit Kats, M & M’s, Snickers, Reese’s Pieces, Trix and some chocolate chips too. (4.6 g) baking soda, 1 tsp. CLOUD: A sharing place. I haven’t made the other two cookie recipes (at least not recently). Ann – yum, I think the butterscotch chips would be delightful in these! Sprinkle the top of the pan with the remaining ¾ cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips, then let stand for about 5 minutes or until the morsels are shiny and melting. The masterminds at Toll House have done the impossible: They’ve come up with a gift that literally everyone wants. I wasn’t sure how they would taste as the dough was much thicker than I thought it would be, but they are great! Are you talking a rimmed baking sheet (like 11X17-inches or so)? A Cookie Revelation! Cook. OMG! They enjoyed it so much! This time, I’ve chopped up the chocolate Easter bunnies in lieu of chips , I only had a stick and a half of butter and needed a dessert for a family potluck today that would go a long way, be awesome, and use only things I had on hand. I am very happy with it. These are simply ZA BES . Thanks! You were HUGELY pregnant. But for some reason I never noticed the recipe is written to be used with a "jelly roll pan" (15 x 10-inch.) Not enough flour? I can’t remember which one I did the first time I made these (which turned out great, by the way). When I tried making these in the past the middles always tasted undercooked….I don’t have that problem with this recipe. I am a chocolate chip cookie monster. I used a 12-oz bag of chocolate chips (~1-2/3 cups) plus a cup of walnuts. Servings. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Oh, and my hubbie and adult son love them too! So easy! I’m making these right now. I just fainted. Thanks! If you want it super thin, I’d only 1 1/2 the recipe (or maybe try a single batch), if you want it the thickness shown in the pictures, I’d double for that size of pan. Definitely my go-to from now on too. )"],"recipeInstructions":[{"@type":"HowToStep","text":"Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Anytime we are asked to bring a treat to something, I can whip these up in way less time than it takes to make most cookie recipes. They smell delicious but they’ve been in the oven at 325 for 30 minutes now and they’re still jiggling in the middle… I’ve never had a problem with oven temp before and we’re not at a high elevation. 1 (12 ounce) package NESTLE(R) TOLL HOUSE(R) Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels Directions. Just thought I’d mention a couple. Do you think it would work to sub m&ms in for the chocolate chips? 9X13-inch pan I'm Mel! Better than chocolate chip cookies. I made these bars yesterday night because I didn’t want to have to scoop and bake dozens of cookies. I LOVE that the tops of these bars flake like chocolate brownies. Thanks! T Just pulled this recipe up again. It would only need a few extra minutes, if any. In it, I got to meet you. And instead of chocolate chips you can always put in crushed up candy bars, peanut butter cups, or white chocolate chips & macadamia nuts! They’re buttery and a perfect chewy bar! Quick, easy & oh so yummy! Whipped it up just now in less than 20 minutes. Thank you! I have tried SO many of your recipes and have never been disappointed! and so delicious! I’ll cut back on the chips next time – maybe just a cup. I wanted to tell you that I posted these on my blog (giving credit to you): http://3sisterssharingideas.blogspot.com/2010/05/thick-chewy-chocolate-chip-cookie-bars.html . The edges might be a bit golden but if the top is overly brown it means they are overbaked and might be dry. Good the next day too! I’d go with less flour. no multiple baking sheets! Mostly, I love dark chocolate and joggers (not jogging). Thanks Melanie!! Bake at 375 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes. they mysteriously disappeared by the afternoon. ","url":"https:\/\/www.melskitchencafe.com\/thick-and-chewy-chocolate-chip-bars\/#mv_create_1303_4"},{"@type":"HowToStep","text":"Bake until the bars are light golden brown on the edges, slightly firm to the touch, and edges start pulling away from sides of pan, 24-28 minutes. The recipe assumes 5 ounces for each cup of flour (which is the standard I use for all my recipes that include a weight for flour) so the 2 1/8 cup would be right around 10.5 – 10.6 ounces. Yum, yum! Love the adjusted recipe – it’s a definite "go to!" Ummm. Everyone loved them! The BEST I’ve ever had! When I make them again I’ll try a metal pan and see if I have a different experience. So chewey, we couldn’t stay away from them either. You, Mel, are the recipe queen. I used a combination of chocolate chunks and peanut butter chips. I made these tonight and they were SO good! Instructions. I’ve never really had good luck with blondies in the past. Heather – welcome! By the time they came out of the oven, my midwife was over for our planned home birth. Love that these are a hit with the teenagers! Guess I will have to break down & make another batch Thanks again for all your work sharing such goodness! On another note, I dreamed about you last night. Close your eyes for a minute. These are amazing! 325 for 24 minutes? Remove the bars from the pan by lifting the foil overhang and transfer them to a cutting board. I was searching for a good chocolate chip cookie bar, and was so excited when one of my favorite food bloggers was in the top three of the search results! This will seriously be my only chocolate chip cookie bar recipe. I think my husband might die of happiness if he could have double chocolate cookie bars . Thanks for another winner Mel! I have never tasted a better cookie bar than these. Notes I used milk chocolate and white Nestle morsels, pecan and chopped walnuts, and I baked it for 40 minutes at 325 in a deep 12 inch long 7 1/2 wise and 2 inch deep pan. I was craving a cookie tonight and am currently in the middle of a kitchen remodel. Thanks for all the great recipes. Thanks so much for a real keeper. I make these repeatedly and they always get rave reviews. I made these with half bread flour just to experiment and made them dairy free with dairy free chocolate chunks and substituted the butter for shortening and added a tiny bit of water to compensate for the water in the butter. Same temp, and check around the same time. Adjust the oven rack to lower-middle position. Sincerely, Cool on a wire rack to room temperature. They’re a hit every single time and so easy to throw together. My. Really easy (didn’t even need to get my mixer out,) and really, REALLY good! It never fails to please everyone. Amy – I never really keep these on hand longer than a day so I haven’t had to store them any special way but the bread tip may be worth a try. Just made these! Made these with my 5 year old daughter today. These are wonderful and I even had my 7 year old help me make them. I will double the recipe and make regular cookies if there is any extra batter (not a problem with that!). Also like this because i always have all the ingredients in house. Whatever your troubles are, I’m praying they will be short lived. I used salted caramel chips, and they were a hit. Thanks for the great recipe! Hey Heather – for a glass pan, I’d suggest decreasing the temp by 25 degrees. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Is the baking time doubled if I make a double batch? Maybe even better than chocolate chip cookies! Should I double the batch or not? RFID stands for Radio Frequency Identification, and it I love this recipe because I typically have all of the ingredients on hand. Instructions OH SO GOOD!!!! and white chocolate chips plus butterscotch chips, and I’m thinking that I need a new variation today. Four Years Ago: Baked Shrimp and Orzo with Feta Cheese I just made these and the batter seemed too thick so I cooked them as cookies, should the batter be too thick to pour. I was worried when I couldn’t find it this time, but on closer inspection, I realized that the website has been updated, so I didn’t recognize it at first. Beat in eggs, gradually add flour mixture. Thanks. Chewy and the perfect texture. Two Years Ago: Doubletree Hotel Copycat Chocolate Chip Cookies I love using this size of pan because it yields a nice, manageable batch– about 16 super thick bars. We’ve made this same recipe for years (via allrecipes), but had never thought to make it in a 9×13. To learn more about subjects like sports please visit the Beat butter, granulated sugar,brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. I bought and loaded Qustodio on all the devices. My sister and I made these- they are absolutely amazing and so easy to make! The pan is in very good condition, see photos. Oops, I guess I should have read the comments first. So skip the spooning and cut up a batch today! If don’t need so many servings, feel free to cut the recipe in half and bake it in an 8×8″ square pan, but KEEP THE ONE EGG YOLK IN THE RECIPE. Using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon start folding the flour into the wet ingredients. Thank you! Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and mix well. Could I bake this in a 12-inch round pan? I was just looking thru the comments of this recipe to see if I could pick up any “tips” and saw your name. I need try these with a scoop of ice cream! I have so much faith in you that I ordered your favorite Calphalon 9 x 13 pan without even thinking twice. So be sure you follow the directions exactly and it should work. They hold up well for several days! Cyndi – Sorry for the late response. Makes me wonder if they would ever survive without us!! You should be able to halve the recipe for an 8X8. My other two kids have Kindle’s. Copyright © 2020 epicuricloud (Tina Verrelli). They are thick and chewy and delicious!! If you have teenagers invading your house or your teenager needs to take something to someone else’s house to hang out…these are always a hit and I get “supermom” points from other teenagers (never mine) but I think mine is secretly proud. Spray the foil-lined pan with nonstick cooking spray. Pretty sure I may need to make all of them and we can have a taste test on which we love the most. So-and-So” version in the mall goes for about $40 and that’s just crazy. I’m not pregnant, so ease your mind about that. Thanks!! 2 cups chocolate chips or chocolate chunks (semisweet, bittersweet, milk, white, peanut butter…the options are endless!) My 12 year old needed the connection to her friends since she is introverted and quiet and is a trustworthy kid. How much would I need to reduce the recipe? and u can get cupon!! I’ve never baked this recipe in a 12-inch pan but I think you might need more batter so consider halving the recipe again or doubling. Adjust the oven rack to lower-middle position. I love, love, love chocolate chip cookie bars. For my flour, 10.5 ounces of flour is more than 2-1/8 cups. This is my new go-to recipe for chocolate chip cookie bars. Since that’s all I had left of butterscotch chips. Still warm = big yum, in my book! We’ve tried M&M’s and semi sweet chips (for valentines day!) Melanie, It’s time that I thank you for this lifesaving (ok that is semi dramatic but it gets the point across recipe! These are just to scrumptious not to share. would you double the recipe? Still tastes delish! I think so! I double the recipe and press it in a cookie sheet! This recipe has lived on my site for a long time (since 2010! These were the perfect mid-week pick me up for my girls who are in the middle of state standardized testing. We have tried the regular cookies before and they were really good but I love these bars even more. I always have ingredients on hand and I’ve tried different mix-ins too. P.S. It is perfect for when you are making a meal for someone and need a dessert. I used white wheat flour instead, lowered the sugar by 1/4 cup for each, used 1 cup chocolate chips, and 1/2 cup walnuts and it was still yummy! Angie – Instead of adding milk, I’d start by adding a few tablespoons less flour to see if that helps the dryness – otherwise, I don’t see that a few tablespoons of milk would cause a major problem. Adjust the oven rack to lower-middle position. Preparation. Even my 9-year old can get them in the oven quickly and relatively painlessly (it’s the cleaning up that inspires lots of juvenile angst). After a few stirs (with streaks of flour remaining), add the chocolate chips or chocolate chunks and mix until combined. Amazing! I just made these and put them in the oven right before putting my little one down for a nap. Edit: My husband took one bite and said “Yep. (and I am also enjoying them with a glass of milk!) We picked this recipe to use it with. Chelsey – I’ve never tried that so I don’t know. Will definitely make again! Thanks again. Love this recipe and will try it out on 75 people on Wednesday! I love the texture! Sadly tho, he took them all to work with him so I only got one. You have never let me down! P.S. , these devices can course of Hi Jess! These look delicious. Spread into prepared pan. Fantastic! Sorry for all the questions! I followed recipe as written, except since I only had 1 cup of chocolate chips I supplemented with a handful of butterscotch chips and M&ms. I find it helps to lower the bake temp by 25 degrees when using a glass pan; they’ll take longer to bake but will bake more evenly. Dear Mel, Keep up the good work! I appreciate your recipes so much! For more information, please visit and see what sets this high performance I have made them several times, and they are consistently perfect. Not too gooey! I’m going to make several different kinds of chocolate chip cookies and have a blind taste test for everyone to vote on their favorites (root beer, too!). Any questions please ask. Original Recipe: the original recipe posted way back in 2010 used two bowls (whisking the dry ingredients in a separate bowl), but taking notes from this awesome recipe, I've changed up the mixing for this recipe so it can be a strictly one bowl recipe. Hi, is 325f for a convection or fan oven? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! YUM! I made these Sunday when we needed a little something sweet. You just need 10 minutes to whip up these easy butterscotch cookie bars loaded with brown sugar and butterscotch chips. Is there a reason you are using foil instead of parchment to line the pan?? Makes 4 dozen bars. Trying these out today. Instructions for my Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies: Place oven rack in the middle of the oven and preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a stand mixer, beat butter until creamy (do not over beat), add granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla. I baked for 24 minutes and they were golden and crisp at the edge but soft and held together perfectly when slicing. I thought I’d search your recipe index for bar cookies. Recommended Products :o)   Perfect recipe for little helpers in the kitchen too. These are my go to when I am in the mood for cookies and don’t want to wait around for butter to soften. These are SO good! I found your recipe for these delicious bars months ago, but never left a comment (sorry). Just bake, cool, slice and serve I undercooked them a little bit, but they were still delicious. I tried a few recipes, but while they tasted good, they were flat/thin. Grease a 10x15 inch jelly roll pan. Mel, I’m sorry I can’t find where to leave a comment about favorite podcasts. One last note: this recipe makes a 9×13″ pan of cookie bars, which is great to feed a party. Excellent and I’d never used the tinfoil trick before. Recipe Source: adapted slightly from Cook’s Illustrated. this looks like the perfect pick-me-up! mine turned out very dry..maybe i mixed too much? When I take them out they aren’t done at all and/or seem like cookies with too much butter (greasy and thin etc). They were delicious! COMBINE flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. I love your recipes. Erin – I’m glad to have a comment so quickly from someone who has made these! I ran out of all-purpose flour and I substituted 2 cups of Duncan Hines Whole Wheat flour. You’re always my go-to food blog! Cool on a wire rack to room temperature. While mixing these up though I thought about the comments people have made about them being greasy and wonder if they followed the directions exactly specifically re: mixing in the egg and egg yolk with the melted butter and sugars before mixing in with the flour? Easy. I guess I can always get up early Thursday…. She talks about you every time recipes are mentioned. Love your recipes. Now I just have to think of the perfect dinner to serve that day. Your directions are always spot on, thanks Mel! Totally justified with all those tweenagers needing treats! I follow the recipe almost to a T – I usually microwave my butter on auto defrost so it’s usually partially melted and partially solid (but slightly warmer than room temperature). Ok…that was dangerous. Is there any reason why that may have happened? 2 teaspoons vanilla extract It is always one of 3 sites that I go to first when I need a new recipe. Good thing I took them somewhere because I would’ve ended up eating them all by myself. I like a pan cookie that is a little more cookie than chocolate, so I only use 1/2 cup of chips, but it’s a delicious cookie with great edges and a nice, chewy texture. Don't overmix, just stir until no dry streaks remain (sometimes I use my hands as the dough gets thick).Press the batter evenly into the prepared pan.Bake until the bars are light golden brown on the edges, slightly firm to the touch, and edges start pulling away from sides of pan, 24-28 minutes. Carmen – thanks for letting me know you liked these bars! I also use U.S.A bake pans and you do not have to grease or flour their bake pans, everything comes out without any problem. PAN COOKIE VARIATION: Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan. I’m not sure what…but I’ve made these dozens and dozens of times and they are never greasy to the point you are describing. The only time I have available the day of to make it is around 10AM and the event isn’t until 6PM. I will make these again and again. Thanks for another great recipe! All social media is banned at our house, parents included. Do you know of a peanut butter variation? So simple and so good. I’m about to make another batch right now to bring to some friends tonight! . I have been looking for a recipe for cookies bars like this. Preheat oven to 350 degrees ... 9x13 inch baking pan, melt butter in oven. So much easier than making individual cookies (yes I am that lazy LOL!). 1/2 (3 1/2 ounces) cup granulated sugar I think I’ve made them 5 times in the last month. Follow @melskitchencafe on Instagram and show me the recipes you are making from my blog using the hashtag #melskitchencafe. Thanks for the fantastic recipe. I love using the good old Nestle Toll House Recipe for my bar cookies. They are so delicious! ","position":2,"name":"In a large bowl, whisk together the melted...","url":"https:\/\/www.melskitchencafe.com\/thick-and-chewy-chocolate-chip-bars\/#mv_create_1303_2"},{"@type":"HowToStep","text":"Add the flour. Just popped these in the oven with white chocolate chips and peanut butter chips… I’m sure the end product will be amazing cause the batter sure was!!! The recipe source is listed under the recipe. Thank you, for another fabulous recipe! hey girl, I just recently found your blog (actually a friend who lives across country sent me the link to your amaaazing baked past with chicken sausage recipe:) Any ways I’m a recent mother of 4- ages almost 5 to 2 months- and just had to share how your blog-and ultimately YOU inspire me!! These super soft, chewy chocolate chip cookie bars are easy (one bowl!) Will that mess up the recipe? Don't overmix, just stir until no dry streaks remain (sometimes I use my hands as the dough gets thick). scrappysue – so glad these were a perfect hit with the neighbors. Makes 4 dozen bars. But there’s definitely a time and a reason to go for the quick and easy bar cookie. Filed Under: Cookies, Cooking for A Crowd, Dessert, Desserts for a Crowd, Lunch Box Ideas, School Treats Tagged With: bar cookies, chocolate chip cookie bars. I buy butter,eggs, brown sugar and chocolate chips in large quantities from Costco or Sam’s . 28 minutes I have found my go-to, perfect cookie bar recipe! It turns out if you add an extra 1/2 recipe they will bake up perfectly in your half-sheet pans! All you need is a pan, 20 minutes and the ingredients below. Great recipe, this was just what I was looking for. BTW, I’m Danielle Peterson’s sister in law. Decorating Tips and Tricks and James MacDonald from Harvest Bible Chapel in the Chicago area. After a few stirs (with streaks of flour remaining), add the chocolate chips or chocolate chunks and mix until combined. Just made these are they absolutely DELICIOUS!!! Even though the texture changed a bit, they were equally delicious. After a few stirs (with streaks of flour remaining), add the chocolate chips or chocolate chunks and mix until combined. These are delicious! Amazing. Always easy, and always yummy! These were great, but not very thick. So easy to make and turned out exactly as pictured above. Good luck! Good thing I made them to share or else I would be in big trouble! I added some chopped walnuts, just because I love nuts in my cookies. I’ll never bother with regular cookies again. Apparently I consider decadent, chewy, chocolate chip cookie bars to be firmly in the “important” category, because I can’t stop talking about these perfect little blondies. These are the bars I always turn to when I need a blondie fix. I have a fan oven and was wondering what to cook this at? This is one of those recipes where I think it would be best for me to probably zip my lips and let the pictures, simple recipe, and prior reputation do the talking. Bought my 4 year old son a skeleton/skull spatula at the William Sonoma Outlet today. These bars were a hit with both crowds! I made the bars, and everyone loved them! It doesn’t match . Spread into prepared pan. I made a few unsuccessful calls to some neighbors and had to get creative. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. I love them. So good! We’ve already ate “our” share of the bars. hat sounds good. I hate making individual cookies. I’m making these ( or the oatmeal version) doubled batch for the 4th time in 10 days… Ok 9 people live at my house … Nearly half of them are teens/Tweens … We love them … Great solution to cookies on these wintery days . Thank you for including the ounce measurements. DIRECTIONS. EVERYBODY got the best this or that. Serve it warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and you’ve got a delicious pizookie! Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Thank you! Good luck with getting back in gear with life, I know how that goes! Hmm…no wonder I always had trouble spreading the batter all the way to the edges of the pan…I don’t have jelly roll pans, I have half-sheet pans (17 x 12-inch.) With Valentine’s coming up, one could use a heart shaped cookie cutter on this bar. Sorry! I know these bars are really good. Cool in pan on wire rack. Stephanie – I’ve never frozen these so I can’t attest to how well they keep but I’d definitely either freeze them tonight or make them fresh on Thursday morning…they will be a bit too dry if they stay at room temperature for a couple of days.
Bigmouth Buffalo Recipes, Romanian Newspaper Of Record, Toucan For Sale Canada, Heritiera Littoralis Tamil Name, Gibson Memphis 1958 Es-335, Italian Rice Pudding Cake, Where Do Blackbirds Nest, Yamaha Ns-6490 Speakers, Sans Gcih Course, Pan De Manila Order Online, Best Lotion For Frequently Washed Hands,