No matter WHICH SUPPLIER it comes from. Or Both? I have been told that the English mohair doesn't have as strong a backing (tight weave) as the German mohair. Sometimes i shrink up my pieces on purpose especially if I am making mini bears.....so I don't have to fray check.....amd sometimes I don't. To keep your mohair sweater or scarf fluffy and clean without ruining it, learn how to wash mohair the right way. Angoras therefore need access to shelter all year round. To get a better shed the weaver can lift the harnesses while the reed is against the fabric, or raise only one harness at a time. Mohair can have guard hairs mixed in, but Type A mohair has the least amount of guard hair. Shedding is the fibre being pulled directly from the fabric and captured by a more ‘abrasive’ fabric as they brush against each other. I also like to see your guy's bears as an example for me to see. However, when it comes to mohair production, its effect on the animals is a major concern. Do you have one too?Heather, I have two... a 2 1/2 year old female (she is black and about 10 lbs) and a male that is 5 1/2 months (he is probably about 10 lbs - he is a cubby little boy - he is creme colored), Heather,When I was first starting to use mohair I bought from Intercal because of the better prices. The sweater is an angora/synthetic blend. If I do buy english mohair (Norton), because I like the color or the texture, I always use fray check as it seems to fray more than the German mohair. What really sheds is the synthetic-even the Schulte synthetic....I finished cutting out the Ted menten based but completely changed around bear a little while ago and my honey got out the vacuume it was so bad, and usually he says, wait till tomarrow! Whether you finally ponied up to buy that beautiful blanket you've been coveting, or you were gifted with a gorgeous throw, shedding can sometimes be an unfortunate issue with new blankets. I have heard if you put the item in a freezer for a few (3, I think) hours it cuts down on the shedding. I figure this:  Using Intercal mohair, I get a great look to my bears, for a great price, with REALLY GREAT customer service (hi Johnna! ), PS  Kim, I'm for sure full of SOMETHING. (My Google search got me nowhere.) Silk-like. Stop pulling on the mohair! Pilling happens when loose fibers begin to twist, tangle, mat, or form little balls on top of the sweater. Check these out... from, in order:  Lora Soling; Rita Diesling of RidiBears; Lori Ann Baker (and I'm the proud owner of this bun, but Lori made him a strawberry for me instead; I hate carrots. I don't think they would be as cute anymore LOLThanks for any imput you may have,Heather. I don't pay close attention to whether I'm using GERMAN or ENGLISH mohair, or to which mill the pieces I ordered come from, cause, frankly, I couldn't care less. And by the end of the day it is literally up my nose, making my nose itchy and sneezy! 3 tips for stopping your jumpers from shedding hairs (mohair, wool, angora, etc.) There are also some things you can try to reduce or eliminate yarn shedding and pilling in finished knit projects. At the show I bought some great stuff from Donna, my ultimate stuffing tool friend and bearmaker, and an Edinburgh rep, that Intercal doesn't have; it was some kind of kid/batik/something or other that I haven't used yet, which just happened to catch my eye due to its kinda burgundy-ish coloration. They know I won't ever speak as their mouthpiece and they haven't asked me to. They say this helps lock in the fibers, and you only need to do it once for ongoing, shed-free wear. I have tried Sculte, Helmbold and others and frankly there is very little difference in the quality. Today, South Africa is the largest producer of mohair, followed by the United States. He's great bec. !Heather, Hi Deb,You ask what the Ultimate Stuffing tool was. How to Address Shedding on a Finished Project. But it isn't for ALL bears, and it isn't for EVERY look. By weaving in a different manner sometimes a good shed can be created. Here are some ideas from the fashionable set on how to stop an angora sweater from shedding. You might want to put the project in a zip-top pillowcase while it's in the dryer to contain the shed fibers. There is a picture and discussion about it in the Teddy Tips and Tech. Easy fix. All the horror stories I have!! Sheds like crazy! i have only bought a little bit of mohair, mostly because I am just starting out and am afraid to buy something and have it be "junk"  I dont want to spend an arm and a leg and not be happy. I'm saying it because I believe it to be true. that is sad! I have only ever had poms and when I was younger, my family had an irish setter.... but big dogs scare me, like dalmations... my cousin got bit in the face by a dalmation, I'll never forget it. And sheds. He's 5lbs on the nose and a very good boy.Why do you ask? That, actually, was one of the worst mohairs I've ever used, and did lots of shedding and fraying; so much so that to a total newcomer to mohair like me, it almost forced a remake of the bear. The word mohair is derived from the Arabic mukhayyar (“goat’s hair fabric”), which became mockaire in medieval times. Angora sweaters are known for being beautiful and soft. You can do a search for Ultimate Stuffing Tool if you want to see what Shelli was talking about.Donna, Teddy Talk: Creating, Collecting, Connecting. ANYWAY ... they had some pom pups in the window a few months ago, and a lady came in and asked how much the miniature chows were. Mohair is a long, smooth fiber used in sweaters, hats, and other fluffy accessories. no-one minds if you tag him along wherever you go!!! Many of its characteristics are similar to wool, except that it does not have the microscopic scales that make wool itchy; so it can be used in many garment applications. ooooh, bit in the face by a dog. And with Dale (an Intercal rep) serendipitously placed as my next-table neighbor at Nevada City this last April, well before this forum even came into existence, and his heaping stacks of glorious mohair from which to choose draped all over the place, I became recommitted to the cause. ... you will find that it will be far easier to undo without lots of the fibres sticking or shedding. I am  so sorry to hear about your sweet Pom! Cause, you know... s**t happens, sometimes. One of my favorites is the old standby "S" finish, and I also love the Heirloom finish. If I pull on the hair, some always comes off. But when you get it home, there’s a problem. The device collects the thin strands of yarn in a clear container (just like a vacuum collects dirt), so you can see what you have extracted. In a pinch, you can try running a disposable razor up and down the knit to remove flyaways. Plus, there are some great finishes offered here, that only Intercal has. Thoughts? Alpaca Fiber Compared to Angora, Mohair, or Silk. Have done this but I haven't worn the cardi yet. And if you love this kind of worn and vintage look, you'll see how great it can be to "find" a mohair that pulls out easily. They aren't around any longer.... Awww. Very well, indeed! Just throw the scarf in the dryer for about 10 minutes before wearing. We completely understand your hesitance to throw it in the washing machine and hope for the best! Mohair is produced from the hair of the Angora Goat. Just ask my husband! It can also loosen the weave and create a hole or more significant issue.Â, Instead, try using scissors to trim the rogue strings. It is a fingering weight yarn. Mohair is one of the most versatile textile fibers. I've never tried it. If there's one way to advertise that you make bears....... Louise, thanks for sharing that you have tried all kinds of mohair, and they're all about the same. :lol::lol::lol: Just adding my little bit too...I buy schulte, but have also bought helmbold before too...Well my latest order of shulte contained a thick straight mohair that shed like crazy. I know I sure do. Love those little critters Shelli!!! So I'm on a roll here, and wanted to show you some pictures of what I find to be wonderful, wonderful bears, all of which have a very scrappy look (on purpose.) I'm pretty sure I've seen fusible interfacing at JoAnn's or Hancock Fabric in black too. But it was a VERY inexpensive, and VERY sparse, mohair... the kind that, in my experience, tends to pull out most easily. Only the 100% alpaca yarn felt. I'm with Shelli- I love INTERCAL  and they do have terrific customer service! I have a chihuahua/pug mix, a chihuahua, and a dachshund mix. [citation needed] The Angora goat is thought to originate from the mountains of Tibet, reaching Turkey in the 16th century.However, fabric made of mohair was known in England as early as the 8th century. If you'd like to remove the stray threads, do not pull them with your hands as this can cause the knit to stretch and become uneven. :D:D. Whew, I'm relieved. But it's been my experience, using both Intercal AND Edinburgh (Schulte) and Beary Cheap mohairs, that the shedding/fraying factor depends on lots of things, from which finish and density you're getting, to which pile length. Haha. Usually, hand washing in a gentle detergent, and drying the piece with the air-dry setting of your dryer for around 10 or 15 minutes will work. aj. Comparison, that does not mean they derive from the same source • Hair– wool (sheep), cashmere and mohair (goats), angora (rabbits) – Usually loosely spun, making textiles that shed … Like sheep’s wool, it is shorn from the goat once or twice each year without harming the animal. To whether Mr. Jones was paying attention to quality control when the backing was being woven. Sure I do, occasionally. 100% alpaca items are anti-allergic. - i am talking too much! It's nice to see that it isn't the cost of the supplies but the artists vision that makes the bear desirable. Just depends on what you're after. Do alpaca yarn clothes provoke allergies? Another option is a knit shaver, which is a battery-powered handheld machine that uses suction and a tiny rotating blade that cuts off loose fibers. I don't think I was any help for you!Donna. Months of pinning ideas for your new décor. And after you mentioned it... yes... the worst shedding mohair I ever had was from Haida also. Mohair is therefore a highly renewable resource. To each his own, right? Mohair Aerato The new open lightweight construction recently developed in the woolen carded system to result in light airy, drapery fabrics for sportswear. I can buy my eye supplies and disk supplies here to boot. Usually, this initial washing will help reduce the amount of shedding, if not eliminating the issue.Â, Knits that shed are also likely to pill. Warm. Synthetic fiber: These fibers are man-made, such as acrylic, polyester or nylon. Isn't it bad enough that I have to occassionally pluck my own nose hairs...now I have to consider what kind of mohair to buy just in case I decide to pluck the nose hairs of my bears...oh my!!! Rug shedding + what to avoid. OR ... could have used a lightweight fabric and applied with spray adhesive or good ol' Stich Witchery. Should I Learn English or Continental Ways of Knitting? I hope you find a new friend soon. I would dye the different half yards in boiling water so I had different colors to work with so that all the bears did not look alike. of it. Do I buy mohair elsewhere? Thanks guys for your imput. I was skeptical, but I gave it a shot, and it worked for me. It's gorgeous; I love it. Which weight is your alpaca yarn? I wouldn't even know where to start looking for the Schultz mohair. It is a 70% mohair, 30% silk blend that comes about 50 yards to a ball. While the combination of a white knitted angora top may look great with black jeans at the start of the day, it can look slightly less so at the end. I use almost exclusively Intercal mohair and find that, like with any product, there are quality variations. Mohair does not contain lanolin as sheep's wool does, so angora goats are not as waterproof as sheep. Tiny thread scissors work well to get an accurate cut without snipping into the actual stitches and creating a hole.Â. !I've always loved poms as well, and when I 1st moved out on my own, I started the dog hunt. I never have a moments concern from Intercal-and they are faster than Edinburgh! Soft Garments. You may recognize the word but be unfamiliar with how it’s actually obtained, but be warned: As with all animal-derived textiles, the production of mohair garments involves suffering and slaughter. I would buy several yards and then take that down to half yards and shrink the backing. Still, shedding can happen with other types as well, particularly with fuzzy yarns like angora, mohair, and alpaca. Mohair is one of the oldest textile fibers in use. I’ve never really found this to be an issue with this yarn, but will occasionally find a big ol’ floof (this being the technical term, of course) of the Kid-Silk Mohair on my jeans or coat. So I try to only to buy German Schulte or Helmbold. It is all in the density and type of mohair weave. They buy only dogs from local breeders.) yes I do. Mohair is taken from angora goats. In fact, it didn’t shed a lot so as far as fuzzy yarns go, it wasn’t really that bad. I've been a loyalist from the outset. Ok... have to admit that I LOVE Schulte mohair   but   I do buy some from Intercal too! And sheds. By the middle of the day, the scoop neck showing above the … I agree with Shelli girls. Being prepared for the mess can help—one thing you can do is to cover your lap with a cloth as you knit, so at least the threads contained. And Shelli, you are great! Sounded easier than shrinking to me. I adore you, you flaxen-haired goddess you; Johnna helped me, via telephone, by HAND-SELECTING the mohairs on my behalf, from my descriptions, that I used for my Golden Teddy piece, CHAUNCEY!). The freezing action helps the angora fibers behave. Please don't let a questionable piece disallussion you about the Intercal company- they truly are a GREAT COMPANY----remember 90% of al my shopping is e-commerace because of how far I live from ev erything. A lint roller, brush, or packing tape can also be used to remove fibers from your clothing or couch. I like to have variety of styles and colors. BECAUSE. I just made a bear in July that was from my old Intercal stock that I had not shrunk. And I'm in love with the 's' finsih. Whatever. It's a common problem with chenille and similarly produced yarns, which have a pile (raised, hair-like fibers) worked around a core yarn. Not Intercal's talking head. LMAO. The stuffing might help hold the mohair in place if it is packed tightly. So, Lisa and Kim, or any other pet owners out there. Mohair is the soft, lustrous fiber made from the hair of the angora goat. Fuzzy yarns like mohair can also cause a poor shed. That's great! I want to add the very important point, in order to retain some credibility here, that I am not paid to be a Help Advisor here, and am not such an arse-kisser that I'm saying this stuff to please the big cheesy ones at the top of this particular business heap. In the end, I choose to go with Intercal mohairs because I find them infinitely less expensive and of a very fine quality, indeed. Or i guess, would it stop shedding after a while? Knit Two Together Through the Back Loop (K2Tog TBL), How to Make a French Knot for Knitting Projects. My sister works at a pet store ... a VERY responsible, wonderful one. I was down at Intercal just last Friday and it seemed that the backings were a tighter weave. Ah, mohair. The shed must be equipped with skirting table, bins and press. Knitting with a very fine hairy yarn like mohair can be a little tricky, but we’ve got 5 top tips to make knitting with them easy and most importantly, fun! One of the drawbacks to mohair is that it is a fuzzy yarn that has a tendency to shed. Picking them out is often done by hand because, though machines can de-hair fleece, mohair fiber is often too fine for the machine. And for my very first mohair bears, I bought mohair (actually my mom did, for me) from Beary Cheap. They ARE just so adorable looking! Pull the fabric taut, and then nip the fibers as close to the knit as possible. I used it, but thought after the fact that maybe i should have tried cutting the pattern again of fusible interfacing and adding that to the back to stabilize the fabric just a little. I've worked at many a pet store and knew I didn't want one from there. Sure helps a newbie like me. He's been to a million parties with me and my friends. New blankets tend to shed, leaving your bed and pajamas covered in lint. Mini chows! What Is Mohair? I just looked at your link.... do you have a pomeranian? There's not a lot to do about yarn that leaves some fibers behind when you're knitting, but you can protect yourself from the mess and keep it contained. Gently glide the shaver over the knit, using a circular motion. And I don't think those things are supplier-specific. Maybe a stabilizer would also help a little with the shedding mohair too ... but I'm sure it would help with issues resulting from the loose weave. How to Get a New Blanket to Stop Shedding. The fiber is very slippery and the textile industry often takes advantage of this property by blending angora with wool to make spinning easier and to reduce production costs. It was supposedly their most popular mohair. Idon't have any trouble with mohair shedding, unless I get too enthusiastic with the brush. Intercal has some finishes and colors that I love. Shelli - you are so fully of info! sounds like my hubby... he tells me on occasion that i have "diarhea of the mouth" a.k.a. Mohair inherently has a beautiful luster and shines when the light hits it. Active Member. I can imagine being scared of them after that!!! Does alpaca yarn felt? And for my very first mohair bears, I bought mohair (actually my mom did, for me) from Beary Cheap. If there's one category of fashion that everyone will undoubtedly have in their wardrobes right now, it's knitwear—more specifically speaking, sweaters.Whether it's a soft cashmere crewneck or a chunky oversized cardigan, sweaters have a way of not only being ultra-cozy but also chic as heck.That said, nothing ruins the moment of wearing a good sweater as much as when it starts to shed. Get DIY project ideas and easy-to-follow crafts to help you spruce up your space. It may just be that the particular density/finish/color you happen to have  chosen, from a particular lot, on a particular day, came out worse for wear. I have to say I do love intercall. Yarn sheds because there's not enough twist to hold all of the threads together. He's a great dog. The smooth fibers of mohair do not irritate the skin, even for people who are sensitive to most wool. I plan to give them alot of my business. 3. These hairs have to be removed from any classification in order to get a good fiber product. Mohair is one of the oldest textile fibres, produced exclusively in Turkey Mohair fabric is a classic, centuries-old textile that is durable, resilient, insulating and light-weight. Angora fiber is shorn or plucked from Angora rabbits. Took me 10 months of visiting breeders and trying not to take home any puppies when I decided on a pom. How to Handle Shedding While Knitting Yarn that sheds while you're knitting can be a nuisance, and it's challenging to deal with the problem in the middle of a project. Yes, Schulte does tend to have a tighter back...on the other hand if you are wanting to pluck out the nose hairs it is a llot harder on Hembold... Maybe you just got a bad piece? While there's not a lot you can do to completely stop this shedding, you can control it … Or do they all do that. Donna, I promise, I'll stop tuggin on the mohair LOL You should see me, I work in a professional office, with my teddy parts on my desk and a black shirt full of mohair. You can also keep your vacuum nearby, so a quick sweep is convenient during or after you've finished your knitting session. For artists and collectors sponsored by Intercal...your mohair supplier and Johnna's Mohair Store, Hello,I have to start off by saying that I have never bought schultz mohair before, and I know it's the best, but I don't sell my bears yet so I can't justify buying some. Certainly, this experience wouldn't keep me from buying from Beary Cheap in the future, were it closer and less expensive to ship from them. But I do shop there too. A sweater comb is a specialized metal comb that has a sharp edge that removes wispy threads with careful swiping. Place the comb at a light angle and gently pull it across the knit to slice off the strays. If mohair is shorter than 4 inches, (except kid mohair, which can be a little shorter because it is finer), the yarn spun from it will probably shed excessively unless spun with a lot of twist. It also takes dye remarkably well, making it a great choice for vibrant colours. You may have a loose weave on the backing that allows you to pull the mohair out. Similar to wool in many ways, mohair can be knit or woven to make sweaters or mixed with wool fibers to create beautiful, lofty fabrics. All of your comments have been interesting to me since I am only just going through this now...hugs sarah. Do you often find yourself staring at your pet, wishing if only you could make a pattern for them?? It's frustrating when you buy a beautiful yarn for a project only to find that it sheds either while you're knitting or when you wear or use the item. Intercal has wonderful prices, wonderful selection and are very polite, kind and oh so helpful to talk to. And then success — Just the right thing for just the right price. It inspires me and I know I won't hate the mohair. I am very glad for your advice! For this reason, you should consider both the fabric blend and the color of your sofa. Yarn that sheds while you're knitting can be a nuisance, and it's challenging to deal with the problem in the middle of a project. (It's not one of those yucky one that buys from puppy mills. The rug sheds. Angora is a type of delicate wool that comes from the angora rabbit. I love it!! I've sent it back in hopes of replacement...still waiting for it to arrive! Once you complete your knitting, the best way to combat shedding yarn is to wash the project (if it's a washable yarn). Countless hours searching for the rug that will tie it all together. I've seen on ebay bears made of schultz mohair and they sure didn't sell for any more bec. I'm all about saving money, and yes I know you bears sell for tonnes Shelli. I can say all this cuz they don't know me from EVE! Mohair, animal-hair fibre obtained from the Angora goat and a significant so-called specialty hair fibre. Cellulose fiber: These fibers are from plants and include cotton and linen. That, actually, was one of the worst mohairs I've ever used, and did lots of shedding and fraying; so much so that to a total newcomer to mohair like me, it almost forced a remake of the bear. We don't have to worry too much longer about Norton since it is almost all gone now. So sweet. I don't have a pom ... but I do have a funny story about them. Mohair fiber holds dye extremely well, so it is a great way to add color to a garment or home item. Mohair does not have this structure so cannot be felted. Most knit items will start to pill at some point if they are worn and used. How does this yarn wear? The sweater shed all over the top. Unfortunately, they're also known for their tendency to shed on everything. To how well the presses were working on the day the mohair was distressed or finished. Mohair is lightweight and also non-flammable unless exposed to an open flame, which has resulted in it being used in some airline upholstery. I hate to think of my bear being bald in a few years, or a few decades. So here I am, working with some really pretty mohair from Intercal. What You Can Do with Goat Fiber Sweaters that shed -- what to do? Start by choosing our Wool & Cashmere Shampoo. Still, shedding can happen with other types as well, particularly with fuzzy yarns like angora, mohair, and alpaca. !So I started researching breeds to see what would fit me best. He's my baby!!! it's a cheaper mohair? I can see a picture of a bear made from that material. We mostly offer blended items which do not felt. If you intend to wear an angora sweater the next day, fold it neatly in a zippered plastic bag and place it in the freezer. I wore my new Mango cropped cardigan this week over a white scoop-neck knit top. Dyes well. It's advisable to wash them before use, but if done incorrectly, you can worsen a shedding … 4.7 (93.33%) 3 votes This marvel of warmth and softness was calling you from the other side of the shop, and you obediently followed its call, knowing immediately that resistance was futile. I worked with a pretty light blue green color and it was definitely a soft yarn to work with. I to have started buying from intercal and I think it just depends on the density of the mohair. Price doesn't always mean everything. For kid mohair, 3 inches is an acceptable length, 4 to 5 inches is excellent. My sales are going gangbusters (for which I'm eternally grateful), and I really like how my bears look when they're finished (a lot, actually, usually.) This will stop the shedding problem and should be done before each wear. I love my poms! Is this bec. So I end up with... why look elsewhere? Always keep a note of which row you are on. And its production does not release toxins of any kind into the environment. Mohair isn’t prone to pilling, but it can shed quite a lot. Sarah is a freelance writer, editor, and crafter.
Paradigm Student Login, Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile Resort Fee, Algorithms To Live By Summary, Yamaha Ns-6490 Speakers, Is Eat Clean Bro Worth It, Subaru Impreza Wrx Sti Gc8 For Sale, Baked Bean Muffins,