(Other world leaders will not care that she is Black and female) which seems to be her main reason for wanting to be President. Yet there are few areas where our past and present realities have diverged so dramatically from our ideals. Maybe you are right. It is about making laws fostering justice and Ubuntu. "If people do their part, they should have economic dignity"...Agreed. Food, basic shelter, clothing and hygiene qualify as essential needs, as does the related expenditure; the … Each American must have true first and second chances to pursue his or her potential. Human dignity means that each of our lives have an unimpeachable value simply because we are human, and therefore we are deserving of a baseline level of respect. What keeps me up at night? Gold, BTC! This is without a doubt a complete waste of time, and is basically progressive propaganda. It is the only way to combat horrendous crimes, poverty and lack. Maybe he's right. As for Trump, I wish he would stop boasting so much and stop taking all the credit for anything and everything for himself. Beware! I didn't even bother to go to the end. As a young nation when a neighbor's barn burned down you helped to build a new barn. Yes, but it’s troubling (at least to me) how many of the thumbs down/critical comments stem solely from disagreement with Sperling, as opposed to the quality of the interview. Buy my book. Otherwise, we end up with “more more more”; i.e., big (permanent?) What I'm saying is that this is Real Vision, that we all pay for information, and that this dribble is in no way informative to this group of people. and robots is less certain—we should be stepping back to reflect on what is precisely the ultimate economic goal we aspire to. Love your new hairstyle, Pedro. Is this Realvision or CNN ? Gene Sperling was National Economic Adviser and Director of the National Economic Council for both President Obama (2011-2014) and President Clinton (1997-2001). It is about giving value to humanity than profit and interest. I did see some images where Harris was in the foreground & in one interview she said the Harris-Biden admin. Why take care of stupid people? Such a tough electoral choice, even more so than in 2016, speaking for myself personally. Economic choices and institutions must be judged by how they protect or undermine the life and dignity of the human person, support the family and serve the common good. In other words, the process by which countries with low living standards become nations with high living standards. Lead like a POTUS the leader, and not like Donald Trump the individual, and he will deserve the vote of the people. We have learned nothing new from this. I have suggested a few ideas, like taxing stock buybacks and encouraging physical investment, building new hubs for manufacturing and innovation, and further expanding the federal per-child tax credit and enacting a paid family leave policy. This definition of economic dignity is rooted in the best angels of the American character, helps substantially explain how we have navigated our relationship between market and government, and can serve as our economic North Star looking forward. Jeffrey Gundlach, CEO of DoubleLine Capital, has evolved his investment…, Published on: October 12th, 2020 • Duration: 54 minutes. Instead we fall back on it does not matter right now and besides, rates are low. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. Good luck fighting the prevailing narrative He chose and fought to be POTUS for the people of the U.S. What Gene Sperling misses is that if you don't like the conditions of your job, you can always leave and join a competitor. We see this painfully illustrated in the rise of so-called “deaths of despair” from addiction and suicide. Now it is that guy must be stupid to let his barn burn down. An economic dignity compact must ensure that those who do their part are able to care and provide opportunity for family—and enjoy the greatest, most incalculable joys that come with that role. I see alpha if you can understand that the last 30 years of falling bond yields and the Regan-Thacher economics philosophy is over. At least putting this political drivel shows RealVision are open minded so everyone should have a voice. and here we are ... All the negative reviews filled with rage over here tell me that this is a must watch interview. The women of Concerta identified being a woman and living in a rural area as primary barriers to achieving economic autonomy. Economic development is the process by which emerging economies become advanced economies. The price of money, the bond market, the credit market and the stock market is all manipulated. It is to our deep national shame that these ideals often have not extended to the majority of our population for most of our history—through slavery, cruel and lingering racial discrimination, closed doors and glass ceilings for women, and the harsh reality that fewer than one in ten people from low-income families earns a bachelor’s degree. Given the opportunity to buy food, they buy drugs or gamble. Thanks for your opinion of the conclusion. I haven’t read Sperling’s book but “economic dignity” sounds like another way of saying everyone deserves equal outcomes when the real focus should be equal opportunities. Didn't see you for a while, and I was a bit worried if you departed from RV. I appreciate Real Vision provides content that helps me challenge my assumptions. More doublespeak, "Economic Dignity." The RV audience is certainly not ignorant, so I can’t understand why so many here don’t seem to realize that the “system” hasn’t worked for the majority for decades. Economic Dignity is all of those things on a topic as encompassing and defining as the economy.” —Ai-jen Poo, Director, National Domestic Workers Alliance “Economic Dignity points us beyond our fixation on GDP to the ends economic policy should serve—promoting the dignity of work and the well-being of families and communities. This is the question that Market News International correspondent Pedro da Costa explores with Gene Sperling, national economic advisor and author of "Economic Dignity." • It is simply a matter of reasonable human dignity . If you don't like your profession, you can always change. I identified “economic dignity” in 2005 in my book The Pro-Growth Progressive as the first of three progressive values by which we should guide and judge economic success. The ICRC defines economic security as the ability of individuals, households or communities to cover their essential needs sustainably and with dignity. Corporate monopolies fed by the Federal Reserve = "capitalism" I assume you believe yourself to be the genius you are but this channel is about other opinions not becoming a political. human rights = "communism" Maybe theres a balance and everyone doesnt need to micro explain every point. Seems I'm not alone. Equitable access to economic resources is a right that each citizen should be able to exercise, as opposed to being a luxury reserved for a few, who by accident of birth, enjoy privilege. Short of an authoritarian rule to force people to conform or suffer severe penalty, in a society of free individual choice, someone please answer the question what happens to the individuals (and there's a shit load of them) who time and time again freely choose not to respect the opportunities their given? He wrote "Dignity, looking for respect in back row America", and would have added much more to the conversation than this one. Fantastic assumptions, all of which are completely baseless. Gene Sperling, former National Economic Council director and author of "Economic Dignity," discusses the three pillars of economic dignity. The winners don't usually like it when you change the rules of the game. This behavior is as old as time. If you found anything he has said to be profound, then you're the one who hasn't been paying attention to the world around you. Important interview because it's representative of what could happen in the future, but my biggest takeaway is that politics really doesn't attract our best and brightest. Please have Chris Arnade on instead. "We should have a system that allows for second and third chances"...Agreed. A dynamic economy needs this. If you havent watched this yet, heres the synopsis: I bet this guy gets invited to all the parties. Agree. Sad. Given the opportunity to be trusted, they lie or steal. Plus, while the US needs a better social safety net, I agree with Cooperman, decide how large we want the US government to be and then live within its means. A person’s race, gender, or lack of labor market power could no longer be used to deny her the basic respect, autonomy, and agency she should possess by virtue of her effort and humanity. Maybe he's right." People forget that the true problem of communism is centralized power and control. Economic Dignity. And yet, while there is deep truth to the saying that “The best things in life are free,” the reality is that economic deprivation, discrimination, flaws in market rules, and gaping holes in the safety net deny tens of millions of Americans these familial joys. It’s like deliberately designing a blind spot for yourself. You just made it up. April 29, 2019. I have a family member who is a teacher and no matter how much she "lowers the bar", no matter how simple she makes a task or assignment to accomplish, there is just a certain amount of capable individuals who just simply refuse to do it. Thank you both. Pillar One: The capacity to care for family and experience its greatest joys. The elites of our nation failed us. Beyond that, we celebrate second and third chances regardless of accidents of the economy, chance, and even personal error. spending programs without figuring out the dull, demanding work on what to scale back. Let all the people who live in the park near to where I live just wallow in their filth. Dick Cheney, Republican war criminal was the one that said "deficits don't matter", just to be clear. It is economic Darwinism. It's nice, sometimes, to have my bias confirmed - this time by the thumbs up/down on this video. We must not lose sight of what economic policy is all about: allowing people to lead dignified lives. Economic Dignity is all of those things on a topic as encompassing and defining as the economy." Learn how your comment data is processed. While they were not components of FDR’s Second Bill of Rights, support for child and elderly care and paid family leave should today be seen as essential to this first pillar—an ability for workers to bond with a new child or care for an elderly parent lies at the heart of economic dignity. That is crony capitalism! Economic dignity means providing people with the capacity to care for family, pursue their potential and a sense of purpose, and contribute economically free from domination and humiliation. My dad was a communist and I believed the stuff till my first job when I worked with a Russian woman who told me the realities of the Soviet system. To me, this is bigotry and prejudice at its highest level. I'll presume that because the interviewer starts off saying, and I'm paraphrasing, that "masks save lives, but we could neither wear masks nor save lives in this country" you think the interview sucks. • The real issue, they predict , will boil down to fairness and simple human dignity . Inflation, slow growth and impossible to pay off debt burden, UBI, MMT are all coming. Finally, someone sees that the USA has nothing to do with capitalism anymore! If we lose that, democracy is in the trash can. Some of … I think I gave to the Stupid People’s Foundation at the office. While they are often discussed as if they were two completely different segments of America, what sadly links the laid-off white Rust Belt worker in his 50s to the low-income minority youth from a dysfunctional school and economically disadvantaged community is the dignity hit of feeling denied a real chance to pursue his or her full potential and purpose. Kudos! Whether you agree or not, a hard left turn is coming. Those days are gone. Dignity is the right of a person to be valued and respected for their own sake, and to be treated ethically. This is far too politically biased and I am not even American or can vote there. I remember reading 1984 in school. All the world's great religious and moral traditions, philosophers, and revolutionaries, recognize that human beings deserve to live in freedom, justice, dignity and economic security. I have watched time and time again so many individuals given opportunity, help, and assistance and they constantly don't "do their part". Here is a brief excerpt from an article by Gene Sperling for Democracy (A Journal of Ideas). If you ignore the implications of political pressures you would’ve been blindsided by these factors. That speaks volumes. Economic Dignity As faithful people, we believe first and foremost in the dignity of work. They reiterate their hatred for Trump and talk about the problems which exist, they never give their solutions to the problems. We believe the purpose of work should be to support a healthy and thriving life, family, and community. Here is a direct link to the complete article. Here is a brief excerpt from an article by Gene Sperling for Democracy (A Journal of Ideas). I was grossly disappointed. The right's rejection of this scientific reality has been free alpha for me for the past number of years. Economic Dignity is a phrase developed by Economic Leadership Consultant Andre Thomas, that describes a city or nation that has created an environment of economic opportunity, so that all of its citizens can have access to ladders of upward mobility without sacrificing its values, ideals and distinctive cultures. And so, I am once again, compelled to vote Trump even as much as I hate to boost his ego even more, because in the end, Biden/Harris is just about passing the buck with increased spending and taxes, while with Trump/Pence, we can continue to make some progress and change. It is fairly predictable that there are more thumbs down here than thumbs up. @Todd W. - "Maybe theres a balance and everyone doesnt need to micro explain every point." was National Economic Adviser and Director of the National Economic Council for both President Obama (2011-2014) and President Clinton (1997-2001). ← HBR Guide to Thinking Strategically: A book review by Bob Morris, 5 Ways to Get the Most Out of Your Design Team →. Economic dignity: Economic dignity deals with the dimensions of a person’s dignity that are linked to their economic context. Doesn't mean RV shouldn't keep having interviews like this. If we are clear-minded that the achievement of economic dignity is the ultimate end goal for economic policy, then we don’t handcuff ourselves from seeing issues like a lack of paid family leave, or rampant sexual harassment, as critical, first-tier “economic” issues — regardless of whether they show up in a prominent metric. was Governor Whitmer to get the female vote, but he had to reconsider for Harris when his poles were weakening and decided on Harris to get the additional black/hispanic minority vote. It has the worst kind of crony capitalism. They had jobs and places to live a few months ago. Let's keep the bar high. Really though, I'm not a republican, or a democrat, but I am paying hard earned money for the content RV creates. My thoughts exactly. Economic Dignity Over our 45-year history, Faith in Action federations have engaged in successful federal, state and local ballot and legislative campaigns to address the many manifestations of what Pope Francis calls the “economy of exclusion”. Long may they reject reality for our economic and environmental gain. He needs to share all credit with others, be it his team, the GOP or Democrats. BTC, Gold & Renewable Energy. It seeks neither to explore highly technical issues of economic measurement nor sort out competing theories of social justice. RV usually differentiates itself with second-level thinking. First-level thinking: What *ought* to be and why, given my political bias, which might be right or wrong. Shortness of breath, make you feel like your going to throw up. I wasted my time reading your review. Former Vice President Joe Biden has, for decades, talked eloquently about the idea that a job is never about just a paycheck, but “your dignity,” while Senator Sherrod Brown frames many of his policies as promoting the “dignity of work”—as do job guarantee advocates like professor Darrick Hamilton. It will "turning left" as a result of blowback in the sense of blowback that Chalmers Johnson wrote a book about. For many US citizens not caring about other citizens is the easiest and cheapest way to ignore any human responsibility to care. From the negative response of the (mostly Republican) crowd I see value in this interview. If you understand this, and see the impetus this will create, you can make a lot of money in the stock market over the next decade. When your cookie is crumbling, it is too late to effect change. Main take away: don't come here expecting compassion and empathy. Not the stuff I expect from Real Vision. I watched when the thumbs up and down were 7 for both so that alone was a good warning of what was to come. I auto-downvote first level thinkers like this, because I can get enough first-level thinking from partisan media networks. Look at the economic implications of Brexit and trade wars. I'm really tired or lazy and biased analysis that I can refute with 2 minutes of Googling... You need to chill. Economic Dignity is all of those things on a topic as encompassing and defining as the economy.” —Ai-jen Poo, Director, National Domestic Workers Alliance “Economic Dignity points us beyond our fixation on GDP to the ends economic policy should serve—promoting the dignity of work and the well-being of families and communities. That in itself If you dont understand that, I recommend asking yourself why you feel so targeted since you are so clearly smart.

what is economic dignity

Rhodesian Ridgeback Rescue, Btz Turn Up The Heat Ingredients, What Do Baby Turtle Doves Eat, Wrap Around Bed Frame, Watermelon Cucumber Mint Refresher, Royal Bird Species,