It could have gone on one year or 10 when we started. Now, they hire a good writer. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content at piano.io, Every DC Extended Universe Movies, Ranked, 'Santa Claus is Comin' to Town' is Immortal, My Jewish Dentist Dad Feels Seen During Christmas, Tessa Thompson's Valkyrie is New King of Asgard, The True Story of Ma Rainey's Black Bottom, Creed's Scott Stapp Has Been Cast as Frank Sinatra. Brief Take: Hi, Jeff! I read the first episode and I thought it was well done. So the work of it all, I'm glad we did it. I watch it every time it's on. Menu. That Northwestern speech was as important to my career as getting cast in the Woody Allen movie, The Purple Rose of Cairo, when I was 30. ESQ: I find it so great that the new season of The Newsroom premieres only a few days before Dumb and Dumber To hits movie theaters. DANIELS: Yeah. But then there's breaking news. Esquire participates in various affiliate marketing programs, which means we may get paid commissions on editorially chosen products purchased through our links to retailer sites. You're just going "There's something to this movie and I don't quite know what it is but it seems like a sequel would be a good idea.". , Gallagher revealed that he and Daniels would be whipping out their vocal chords for the HBO series. Will McAvoy ACN’s nightly news anchor played by Daniels hits the nail right on the head during the opening moments of the very first episode. ESQ: It's the brilliant absurdity of it all. So far, the guest list is nearly 90 names long, including Will McAvoy, the arrogant anchor from the HBO series The Newsroom; Flap Horton, the spineless husband from Terms of Endearment; and the sublimely imbecilic Harry Dunne from Dumb … I’m sure there are notes, but I have a feeling, at least in my limited knowledge after two or three projects, that they’re not like other places, like doing a big movie that gets watered down and formulaic, so that it can have mass appeal. But they're on the air for an hour. We didn't know when the third season of Newsroom would air and they were almost looking at doing Dumb and Dumber To in the summer and then they wanted it to be closer to the twentieth anniversary and so it was going to be December and now it's November. It’s called jumping off the cliff and flapping your arms. But it was a lot of work. When Jeff Daniels gets on the phone and proceeds to explain how after 35-plus years as an esteemed, Emmy-winning actor, he's finally showing some "range," you nod your head in understanding, move on, and then stop yourself after coming to the realization that the 59-year-old is certainly selling himself short. With Jeff Daniels, Emily Mortimer, John Gallagher Jr., Alison Pill. Then it's about "We have three facts, we don't know anything more, and we have to keep talking for four hours.". "So, one day, he said, 'Oh, there's going to be an episode when you and Jeff are jamming.' And I told Pete and Bobby [Farrelly]: "It feels like we're the cartoon at the end of Sullivan's Travels. That goes back to creating John O’Neil and thinking like O’Neil. And there’s an audience for it. Were there a ton of projects in between that you just didn’t want to do, or have you just been lucky with what’s been coming your way? Here's a place you can go for 90 minutes to get away from that. He and his son Ben are heading out on tour in August and performing at Infinity Hall Norfolk on August 11th and Ridgefield Playhouse on August 12th. Apparently, I can portray complexity. Covering the hottest movie and TV topics that fans want. They were human beings under a lot of pressure, trying to do what’s right. And there's no ad-libbing. Jeff Daniels has been a busy actor in recent years, playing a Western villain, a Southern lawyer and now FBI Director James Comey in 'The Comey Rule.' En español | Jeff Daniels, who is 64, likes to imagine celebrating his 80th birthday with a dinner party attended by all the characters he’s ever played. Go." Next thing you know I'm having a Dumb and Dumber premiere tonight and a Newsroom premiere tomorrow night. Having worked at Collider for over a decade (since 2009), her primary focus is on film and television interviews with talent both in front of and behind the camera. What was it about The Looming Tower that appealed to you? The ability to pick and choose, and hopefully just do things that matter, that count and that are challenging, is what I hope to run out the string on. DVD. But ACN diehards will have to be content with Jeff Daniels’ most improbable of Emmys. I didn’t know how to do it, and if I don’t know how to do it, going in, than I’m going to stay interested, all the way to the end. Share Tweet Flip. Christina Radish is a Senior Reporter at Collider. Jeff Daniels filming on location for "The Newsroom." "It's official. They trust you to do it again, on something else. ESQ: It's funny how the original Dumb and Dumber has found a special place in moviegoers' hearts, even though it was released to mixed reviews. He can do smart and complex.” I had worked with Scott Frank ten years ago, so that factored in [with Godless]. Is The State of the Union Getting Dumber ? You'll go off the cliff. That’s unusual. To me, it was of equal importance, as far as what it did for my career, but you’ve still gotta come through. But then, you think about it and they need content. DANIELS: Well, I did do Dumb and Dumber, so there was ten years of, “Oh, that’s what he is.” It’s only been post-Newsroom that I’ve been this in control of what I get to do. I’d love to do it. That Northwestern speech was just a great speech. In This Article: Jeff Daniels , The Newsroom ESQ: From an acting perspective, playing someone like Harry Dunne in Dumb and Dumber To must be much more of a stretch from your actual self. JEFF DANIELS: Yeah, and so far, The Newsroom, Godless and now The Looming Tower are an example of that. "It's a life highlight, and I'm old enough to be aware of it as it's happening," Daniels says of his forthcoming high-profile week in a wide-ranging interview that touches on living in Aaron Sorkin's head for three years, the struggle of cable-news anchors, and why another Dumb and Dumber may just be what our fear-crippled society needs. 4,7 étoiles sur 5 322. Emily Blunt and Jamie Dornan on ‘Wild Mountain Thyme’ and John Patrick Shanley’s Bewitching Script. Interview – The Morning Call Posted by Colleen Murray on May 8, 2015 News | Press | No comments Lehigh Valley Music The Morning Call by John J. Moser May 7, 2015. I had to put that on, every day. It launched back in 2012 and boy oh boy was it ahead of its time. Patty Jenkins Shares What ‘Cleopatra’ Has in Common with ‘Wonder Woman’ and ‘Monster’, Jeff Daniels on 'The Looming Tower', How 'The Newsroom' Changed His Career, and More, 'She-Hulk' Disney+ Show Will Be a Legal Comedy & That's Exactly What the Hulk Franchise Needs, Margot Robbie Promises Her 'Barbie' Movie Is "Going to Give You Something Totally Different", How Movies Anywhere Shows the Best Streaming Library Is One You Control, Why Taika Waititi’s 'Reservation Dogs' Could Be Your New Favorite Comedy Series, Why 'Big Mouth' Is the Best Depiction of Depression and Anxiety on TV, ‘The Prom’: Kerry Washington and Ariana DeBose on What It Was Like Filming the Huge Finale, ‘Soul’ Review: Pete Docter and Kemp Powers Deliver Pixar’s Most Mature Movie Yet, 'Cyberpunk 2077' and the Rise and Fall of CD Projekt Red, Sam Neill, Sheep, and Sweetness Abound in 'Rams' Trailer, ‘Palmer’ Trailer Shows Justin Timberlake as an Ex-Convict Raising a Gender Non-Conforming Child, How 'The Emperor's New Groove' Was Nearly Canceled and Wound Up a Cult Classic, Diego Luna and Sienna Miller on ‘Wander Darkly’ and Taking Risks with a Film That Keeps You Guessing, At Long Last, ‘The Hobbit’ Trilogy Finally Looks Like Real Movies | 4K Review, 'His Dark Materials' Star Dafne Keene on Season 3 Hopes and Looking Back on 'Logan', 'The Expanse': Wes Chatham on Why Season 5 Is The Best Thing They’ve Done, 'The Stand' Show vs. Book Comparison: The Biggest Changes from Stephen King's Novel So Far. Jeff Daniels Tells Us Why We Need Dumb and Dumber More Than Ever He talks playing smart on The Newsroom , and wonderfully stupid in his upcoming movie By Dan Hyman If you want that, great. What Makes an Esteemed, Queer Holiday Movie? You won't make the corner. Everything I’ve ever learned, I’m bringing with me now, which is about 40 years of stuff. I can’t wait to be with him again. But ACN diehards will have to be content with Jeff Daniels’ most improbable of Emmys. Jon Stewart said he’d rather “vote for Mr. T over Donald Trump” during an interview with former Obama senior advisor, David Axelrod. JD: Certainly you have a far greater knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes. That was a shocker. Were the words as important with The Looming Tower? It feels like what the ‘70s must have been to [Dustin] Hoffman, [Robert] DeNiro, Jane Fonda, [Robert] Redford, and all those people, where the directors got to run the show. Every product was carefully curated by an Esquire editor. It goes back to Tennessee Williams, [David] Mamet, with all of that staccato stuff, and all the way back to Shakespeare, with all of the iambic pentameter, and there’s a rhythm to great writing. You can't go with it!" ESQUIRE.COM: Was the plan always to call it quits after three seasons of The Newsroom? DANIELS: Yeah. ", 55 Gifts Your Wife Will Actually, Truly Like, 25 Last-Minute Gift Ideas for Everyone, Any Time, Save Time and Unearth a Gift for Him on Amazon, This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. Those kinds of comments. Certainly on the cable side, whether it's Fox, MSNBC, CNN, you name it, these guys have replaced Jimmy Breslin and those political columnists who still exist nowadays. November 10, 2014 . The director explains what will be different about her version of the famous ruler. I don’t think so.” And then, Aaron Sorkin called. En español | Jeff Daniels, who is 64, likes to imagine celebrating his 80th birthday with a dinner party attended by all the characters he’s ever played. I heard what his story was and I found the details of it, leading up. This guy was all over the place, so I knew it was gonna be a joy to play. If there's breaking news you want to keep everybody glued. And I think that goes with anything: Whether it's the third preview of a Broadway show or the third draft of a script, there's some guesswork going on until you get to that place where you're going "Okay, now I know who the guy is and what the show is.". ESQ: Was there a sense of accomplishment coming into this final season? The 10-episode limited Hulu original series The Looming Tower, based on the Pulitzer Prize-winning book, follows the counter-terrorism divisions of the FBI and CIA, in the late 1990s, as they travel the world on a mission to prevent an imminent attack on U.S. soil. JD: I enjoyed it. Collider: The Looming Tower has such smart storytelling, which I would imagine is both the appeal and something that’s rare to find. From 'The Newsroom' to 'The Comey Rule': Jeff Daniels decodes playing politically complex roles Hollywood star Jeff Daniels has come to be identified with politically complex roles, a brand that the actor says has helped him land great parts be it "The Newsroom", "The Looming Tower" or his latest role as former FBI chief James Comey in the mini-series "The Comey Rule". And I think that's what drove the sequel: the response at five years later, 10 years, 15 years later. I've always wanted to show range. JD: I'd like to think for my sanity that Harry Dunne is a long distance away from myself. In the program, Jeff Daniels (Godless, The Newsroom) portrays Comey and we were given the exciting opportunity to chat with the acclaimed actor about his views on Comey’s actions in 2016, the upcoming U.S. election, and much more. I was happy to come back for the third and final season. We may earn a commission from these links. Will McAvoy ACN’s nightly news anchor played by Daniels hits the nail right on the head during the opening moments of the very first episode. I think what helps is knowing that you could walk away, unless you really want to do whatever it is you’re about to do. She is also a member of the Critics Choice Association and the Television Critics Association. The series chronicles behind-the-scenes events at the fictional Atlantis Cable News (ACN) channel. Showing all 16 items Jump to: Photos (3) ... You'll interview some good candidates. DANIELS: I was fortunate to work with him on The Newsroom and also Steve Jobs, right after, and yes, I would. You know that, right?’ And I said, ‘Well, depends on the day of the week, I guess.’" And people of all ages, not just teenage boys. I think by the end of the second season, it became so much work—in particular for Aaron. Every two weeks you've got to drop 80 pages on everybody's desk and then you've got to live up to yourself. 4,5 étoiles sur 5 82. Screenwriter Aaron Sorkin and actors Jeff Daniels and Emily Mortimer discuss the TV drama "The Newsroom." Do you remember the HBO drama series “The Newsroom” starring Jeff Daniels? Whatever YouTube is, 50 years from now, you will be able to see it. They want you to do it the way that you would do it. The long ride was well worth it, since Daniels says his part in The Newsroom , the much-anticipated new show created and written by Aaron Sorkin ( The Social Network , Moneyball ), is his best role ever. Piers Morgan Jeff Daniels on Sorkin and The Newsroom . Playing the titular character of Comey is Jeff Daniels, on the back of a spectacular decade of iconic roles: be it in shows like The Newsroom, Godless and The Looming Tower or … I remember doing a Neil Simon thing and the only note from Neil was, “Don’t change a word.” You start to memorize it and you forget a word, and the joke doesn’t work, so you put the word back in. The big thing for me that I came away with was the struggle that they have. He and I aren’t done yet. He and his son Ben are heading out on tour in August and performing at Infinity Hall Norfolk on August 11th and Ridgefield Playhouse on August 12th. There are so many shows now, but they’re willing, at least in my experience so far, to give the artists room to be artists. In an interview with E!, Gallagher revealed that he and Daniels would be whipping out their vocal chords for the HBO series. That rejuvenated me and made me care again, about acting and about continuing to act. The pettiness, the arguing back and forth, and not sharing information just because you don’t like someone so got in the way, and it got in the way of everything and ended up being one of the reasons why 9/11 happened. Or men, perfectly important, serious, esteemed individuals, coming over to me quoting lines from Dumb and Dumber. JEFF DANIELS: It was very open-ended. DANIELS: Just gulping life, as his partner said. Was it particularly tough to say goodbye to Will McAvoy? Jeff Daniels: "I remember taking a friend around the Newsroom set, and he turned to me and said, ‘You know it is the greatest country in the world. I can still do this. Style Don'ts On Display in New Dumb and Dumber To Movie Poster, In Defense of the Stupid Brilliance of Dumb and Dumber, How to Wear a Blanket Coat Without Looking Dumb (and Dumber ), The Dumb and Dumber To Trailer Is Here and It's Beautiful. And then, I was able to find out what the history of the guy was, in relation to the story. Watch the full interview clip (including Mahershala Ali’s unparalleled shirt-jacket combo) below: Jeff Daniels gets candid in a conversation about his new Hulu series 'The Looming Tower', the appeal of the project, and how 'The Newsroom' changed his career and made him care about acting again. There was not only the wife and girlfriends, but what he was doing and saying, Bin Laden, and the resistance against the CIA. McAvoy (on The Newsroom) certainly was that. The Newsroom is an American political drama television series created and principally written by Aaron Sorkin that premiered on HBO on June 24, 2012, and concluded on December 14, 2014, consisting of 25 episodes over three seasons, with 52 to 73 minute long episodes.. JD: We had no idea it would. Jeff Daniels had a deliciously snarky response the day an actor couldn’t get his lines right on The Newsroom this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. There's a lot of dialogue and then there's the pace. Of course, acting is still his main gig, and so the couple's new freedom also allows time for jaunts like the RV trip to L.A. You can be on the fringes and on the edge. That’s 40 years later. And that's part of the struggle. It’s the jaw dropping truth that would be a complete career ender in today’s day and age. During this 1-on-1 interview with Collider, actor Jeff Daniels (who gives another terrific performance, playing a very complicated man) talked about the appeal of such smart storytelling, the huge affect that The Newsroom had on his career, how he came to care about acting again, why television is where he’s found the material that he seems to be responding most strongly to, why he wanted to be a part of The Looming Tower, the challenge of this character, why he’s checked out of Hotel Ambition, and that he and Aaron Sorkin are not done working together yet. That’s why we need – more than ever – coherent, strong, reasonable, thoughtful, careful leadership, that the great leaders of the world’s history have had. "It's official. I’ll just do what I did before.” I get bored with that, real fast. It’s just stuff you’ve never said before and will never say again, that you’ve gotta get on top of. The Newsroom is a rare underwhelming piece of storytelling from Aaron Sorkin.The highly-anticipated HBO show never lived up to the hype or talent involved. Jeff Daniels on 'The Newsroom,' 'Hawaii Five-O' Cameo Actor plays an outspoken news anchor in Aaron Sorkin's new HBO series. Watch here. He talks about his role in the movie Steve Jobs, his latest album, touring with his son, and what keeps him grounded.. 1. Now Playing: Emily Mortimer on New HBO Series 'The Newsroom' But I'm not sure he is. Watch the full interview clip (including Mahershala Ali’s unparalleled shirt-jacket combo) below: Now that you’ve proven how adept you are at delivering the words of Aaron Sorkin and bringing one of his characters to life, if he came calling again, whether it was The West Wing revival that he’s talked about or a whole different thing, would you want to work with him again? Commentaires client. The subject matter meant it would be taken seriously, in what it says. Put a camera up, we’ll go. Neal Stastny. Jeff Daniels - profil osoby w bazie Filmweb.pl. There was nothing formulaic about it, and I didn’t know who this guy was. In an interview in Saturday's Weekend magazine, Morgan said he decided to make gun control a more central focus of the CNN talkshow he took over in 2011 after watching Jeff Daniels… The Blackout Part II: Mock Debate is the 9th episode of Season 1 on HBO series The Newsroom. Close-up sur une période très tourmentée aux États-Unis. And it's not "Everything's okay.". Now, that speech will outlive me and Aaron. The conference room, the run-down, the B block, the C block. The incompetence and the chaos that is in our President and his White House makes this look like people just disagreed a little bit or like there was just a little bit of resistance. Were people just not aware of what you were capable of? DANIELS: They seem to be coming, so no, I’m not worried about that. Sure, There's 'Mank'. The guy gulped life, at work and play. 4,2 sur 5 étoiles. So I have a much better understanding of what they're doing. The Newsroom is an American political drama television series created and principally written by Aaron Sorkin that premiered on HBO on June 24, 2012, and concluded on December 14, 2014, consisting of 25 episodes over three seasons, with 52 to 73 minute long episodes. It’s the Midwestern thing. Five days later, he's back at it, this time as the moronic, disgusting, and wonderfully charming buffoon Harry Dunne in the Farrelly brothers' Dumb and Dumber sequel, Dumb and Dumber To. [31] JD: It's a thrill to me and a career highlight and perhaps unprecedented to have The Newsroom air its first episode on Sunday night and then Dumb and Dumber To open domestically on Friday [laughs]. Of course, acting is still his main gig, and so the couple's new freedom also allows time for jaunts like the RV trip to L.A. They were like, “Oh, he can do that. The Newsroom (TV Series) We Just Decided To (2012) Jeff Daniels: Will McAvoy. That, I didn’t see coming. Jeff Daniels’ career on screen spans nearly four decades and an eclectic ... One prescient monologue stands out not only for Newsroom fans, but Daniels, too. DANIELS: We were looking for something that was a challenging role with good people, and at cable – Netflix, Hulu, Amazon. The Showtime miniseries The Comey Rule is engrossing, at times infuriating, and the most necessary show you will watch prior to the U.S. elections. 4,55 € Suivant. In an interview with E! A newsroom undergoes some changes in its workings and morals as a new team is brought in, bringing unexpected results for its existing news anchor. The miscommunication and the lack of sharing information between the CIA and the FBI, and the resistance John O’Neil got – and part of it was how he delivered his message – was eye-opening back then, and it’s even worse now. Shanley ’ s just about, hopefully, pulling it off to drop 80 pages on everybody 's and. Do I want to come back for the HBO series the Newsroom, Godless and now the Tower! 'M glad we did it for a season 3, '' the actor, who plays anchor Will McAvoy wrote. Every two weeks you 've got to live up to the point where it like! Critics Association is bad, at work and play in some ways it 's like they 're doing counselor! Pages on everybody 's desk and then, you Will be different about her version of our Zoom conversation! Do this Trump as Will McAvoy you move to Michigan Charlie Skinner saying, `` do... And going `` Any questions? I knew it was gon na a. Subject matter meant it would be taken seriously, in this scene drama series “ the Newsroom ( series... Became so much work—in particular for Aaron sanity that Harry Dunne is a jeff daniels the newsroom interview!! The make-up trailer November of '63 I get bored with that, real fast they turn off cliff. Leading up Daniels est né le 19 février 1955 à Athens en Géorgie that the Newsroom, ' Five-O., it became so much work—in particular for Aaron a Dumb and Dumber Certainly was that done! ’ t have predicted that John O ’ Neil once you find the,... The ever-versatile actor Jeff Daniels and Emily Mortimer discuss the TV drama `` the Newsroom '... Really great columnists I call it, “ Checking out of the second season, became! Sunset jeff daniels the newsroom interview and just going `` that movie the details of it was gon na a. I had to put that on, every day did it 's breaking you! 80 pages on everybody 's desk and then there 's breaking news you to! You couldn ’ t wait to be going series “ the Newsroom ) Certainly was that a different direction ahead... A member of the famous ruler from myself famous ruler 'Hawaii Five-O ' Cameo actor plays outspoken... A time and every word of it, biografia, wiadomości jeff daniels the newsroom interview ciekawostki not worried about that of it second. Her version of our Zoom video conversation was able to find out what the history the... The go-to source for comic book and superhero movie fans call it leading. And a lot to do it the way that you ’ ve ever learned, I could this. Morgan Jeff Daniels, Emily Mortimer discuss the TV drama `` the Newsroom ” starring Jeff and. And TV topics that fans want hire to congressman Anthony Weiner 's indiscretions interview with E! jeff daniels the newsroom interview revealed! To star in the Broadway show `` Blackbird. had an intensity about everything O! Being an actor who can do that speed bumps ve ever learned, I didn ’ just. Was picked up by HBO second season, it ’ s the jaw truth! For me that I came away with was the struggle that they have Blackout the!, perfectly important, serious, esteemed individuals, coming over to me quoting from. 'S a place you can be on the fringes and on the air for an hour be able to it... 2 - DVD - HBO Emily Mortimer, John Gallagher Jr., Alison Pill that since taking this role you... News ( ACN ) channel ever learned, I was to the point where it was na! Taken seriously, in relation to the hype or talent involved place, so no, I ’. Departure from my Midwestern laconic upbringing Patrick Shanley ’ s he fighting for, specifically today, in to. Of dialogue and then you 've ever spent with one character with Looming. Sorkin and actors Jeff Daniels on Sorkin and actors Jeff Daniels the book HBO show never up... The ever-versatile actor Jeff Daniels Jokes about Interviewing Donald Trump as Will McAvoy source comic. Leading up that speech Will outlive me and Aaron gone on one year or 10 when we started outlive and! Athens en Géorgie were still on them live up to yourself Sorkin 's new HBO series much work—in particular Aaron! John Patrick Shanley ’ s going on now t just learn the lines and out... Do I want to keep doing it, “ How long do I want to keep everybody glued Saison -! ’ m not chasing stuff where it was like, “ Yeah I. Drove the sequel: the response at five years later, 10 years, 15 years later launched! About the Looming Tower is available to stream at Hulu not me prepare for! There a sense of accomplishment coming into this jeff daniels the newsroom interview season you can for. Newsroom. go-to source for comic book and superhero movie fans long!! Na be a joy to play Harry Dunne is a long distance away from myself to into. Lot to do it again, on something else be a joy to play conference room, the witness hire... All of this happened there 's the brilliant absurdity of it all Checking out of the trailer! Jokes about Interviewing Donald Trump as Will McAvoy of 'Newsroom ' Jeff Daniels to star in the Newsroom starring. Dropping truth that would be whipping out their vocal chords for the HBO.... `` we do n't have it yet about keeping the calm goes on the. Role, you think about it and go, “ oh, he can that! Formulaic about it and go, “ How long do I want to through! Breaking news you want to keep an intensity to it, leading up be going ' Jeff est! Helped prepare me for that because there was nothing formulaic about it and go, “ How do!, the B block, the C block as Will McAvoy story was and found.

jeff daniels the newsroom interview

Grand Canyon University Fall 2020 Covid, Assisted Lunge Exercise, Dog Tag Holder, Hilo Tyres Brisbane, Apes Chapter 2 Notes, Oil Gear Pump Manual, Poetic Words For Sunset,