. Antelope, Elk, Mule Deer, Merriam’s Turkey, Tree Squirrel, Javelina. Hunt starts on 10/31. These acts of kindness go a long way to ensure access onto private property. ; west and north along Airpark Rd. They will often bunch up before they run, so make sure there are no additional antelope are standing behind the buck before you shoot. Successful hunters slowly walk the edges of the ridgetops glassing often. I will be scouting with a friend in the next few weeks. The GCNP boundary is fenced and signed well. This area is full of big and small canyons. Areas: The Skinner Ridge area can be good and encompasses a variety of habitats, including: ponderosa pine, pinyon-juniper, and scattered sagebrush areas. For additional information, visit: https://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/off_highway.shtml. I need some insight on hunting unit 7 in Arizona. This is a wintering area for elk and will usually have high densities and will have a high number of hunters as well. Some years this area can be very dry, so checking the waterholes for deer sign might be wise. It is unlawful to enter the GCNP with a loaded weapon. road 143 turning south.
I have been looking at unit 36c because I was told on another forum that was a good area, what are your opinions on that? Successful hunters in this area will still hunt game trails that cross these openings. Forest planners undertook a lengthy process to determine what roads were most important to the various user groups, what areas were most in need of protection and what members of the public had to say. Adjacent lands are under state and private ownership. The west side, mainly pinyon and juniper woodlands with big openings of sagebrush, some years, has high densities of mule deer. The deer density is high along Skinner Ridge especially if the Gambel oaks produce acorns. If it snows during or before the late general hunt, most of the elk will head for lower country as this is the highest elevation area (about 7,600 feet). Hunters can drive off the road to retrieve a legally killed elk using the most direct and least ground disturbing route in and out (one trip in, one trip out). The major vegetational communities include: plains and desert grasslands, sagebrush, pinyon-juniper, ponderosa pine, pine-oak woodlands. The Grand Canyon National Park (GCNP) is on the north end of Unit 9 and hunting is NOT allowed on the park. I fell very lucky since this was my first drawing for elk. And that 20% species distribution may lie 100% within private lands. Overview: Mule deer are distributed throughout the unit at elevations usually below 5400′. Re: Arizona Unit 9 Post by GUTPYLZ » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:53 pm bigshooter750 wrote: Well I got drawn for rifle mule deer in unit 9 I don't know much about the unit except is great for ELK!!! The Harbison Ranch to Peterson Flats area, some ponderosa pine, but mostly pinyon -juniper woodlands, can be good, but somewhat difficult to hunt. Some forest roads parallel and/or enter into the GCNP and hunters need to be aware of where they are. However, water availability is the critical factor. This unit encompasses about 1,600 square miles. Finally, a deer tag for 2014. These hunts include the Arizona strip (Units 13A or 13B) or Kaibab (Units 12A East, 12A West and 12B) for mule deer. Access is not a problem in Unit 9, but it is every hunter's responsibility to know where they are and respect private property. This unit encompasses about 1,600 square miles. I did glass 2 big deer but they were on the reservation side of the unit. The Unit 9 turkey numbers have been declined in recent years. Combine these low mule deer numbers with a unit that doesn’t lend itself to glassing and you have got the makings for what could be a very frustrating and difficult mule deer … https://outdoors-international.com/ - Watch Russ Meyer of Outdoors International spot-and-stalk a nice mule deer with his bow. I cant understand why they dont manage that unit better for deer anymore. There are scattered openings throughout this area and successful hunters need to glass these areas at first and last light. Non-elastic, adjustable, harness webbing keeps the pouch secure against your body. Each district of the Kaibab National Forest will issue free Motor Vehicle Use Maps that indicate what roads are open to motor vehicle travel and what roads are closed. If water is available, elk will be present early in the fall. Does that sound confusing? Adjacent lands are under state and private ownership. The first mule deer season would be the Arizona Strip Unit 13B archery mule deer hunt that starts in late august and runs until mid September. Beginning where Cataract Creek enters the Havasupai Reservation; easterly and northerly along the Havasupai Reservation boundary to Grand Canyon National Park; easterly along the Grand Canyon National Park boundary to the Navajo Indian Reservation boundary; southerly along the reservation boundary to the Four Corners Gas Line; southwesterly along the Four Corners Gas Line to U.S. Hwy 180; westerly along U.S. Hwy 180 to AZ Hwy 64; south along AZ Hwy 64 to Airpark Rd. If there are little or no acorns present, look for areas with lots of cliffrose as this becomes an important deer food as the fall season progresses.The Red Butte area (pinyon-juniper and sagebrush habitat) can be good as there are no roads other than around the perimeter, which limits hunters who may not want to walk as much. We charge $1500 per unit, $2500 for 2 units that adjoin, and $3,000 for 3 adjoining units. Areas (for antlered hunts): The Skinner Ridge area, which encompasses a mixture of ponderosa pine, Gambel oak, pinyon and juniper, and scattered pockets of sagebrush, is a good area to start. The successful spring hunters will scout roost areas and listen for toms gobbling from or near their roosts. This area is very dense, but has some scattered small openings which deer will use at first and last light of the day. Squirrels will be active throughout the day, but sometimes more so in the mornings. This area is bordered by the railroad tracks on the west, Forest Road 347 (Anita Road) on the north, Highway 64 to the east, and the Willaha Road to the south. The best map that encompasses the entire unit is a GMU 9 Flatline. This area will border the Navajo Reservation so know where you are and look for the boundary fence that is not well marked. Areas to consider hunting include: O’Connell tank, Griffin tank, Sam Moore tank, Little Sam Moore, Sheep, Homestead, Midway 1 and 2, Thurston, New, and Cecil Dodd. Unit 9 can be very dry and water is a critical factor. The Forest Roads in this area include 320, 313, 316, 312, 337, and 2743. It is ideal mule deer habitat. Some years this area can be very dry, so check the limited waterholes for deer sign. Dont know for sure it that area was open for deer hunting as i was elk hunting but counted up to 50 deer in mornings driving through., never hunted in unit 9. Use the free Motor Vehicle Use Map to locate these routes. From the North: State Hwy 64 Arizona Strip Guides LLC and our team of Arizona mule deer hunting professionals feels that this Unit 13B archery hunt is one of the best archery mule deer hunts in the world today. Dream destinations include the Arizona Strip (units 13A and 13B) or Kaibab Plateau (units 12A East, 12A West, and 12B), but the drawing odds are long, sometimes in the low single digits, Ornoski said. New square hook buckle attachments are easy to use and eliminate breakage.Features:14" x 8" x 8" dimensions offer exceptional storage capacity Heavy-duty 900D exterior fabric is weather and tear resistant EVA bottom is water and shatter proofHandy quick-grab side shell pouch holds full box Square hook buckles eliminate breakageFeatures non-absorbing closed cell floatation foam Carrying handle and padded shoulder strap. Sportsman traveling forest roads need to be aware that some roads parallel and some enter into the park. That place should be crawling with deer. Areas: The spring turkey season is for bearded turkeys only. The main forest roads in this area include 307, 682, 683, 2807, 2815, and this area can be easily accessed from State Highway 64. This area will also attract high concentrations of hunters, which can be beneficial to move deer around, but also dangerous so please be aware of your targets and backgrounds.The Harbison Ranch to Peterson Flats area, some ponderosa pine, but mostly pinyon -juniper woodlands, can be good, but somewhat difficult to hunt. Tusayan, Grand Canyon Village, Valle, Major Highways and Roads Leading To This side is very open grassland country and ideal for glassing lots of wide open areas. Pronghorn Mule deer can be found throughout most of the unit, but the highest densities occur in the ponderosa pine and pinyon juniper woodlands. Rules for gathering fuelwood are handled through fuelwood permits. Unit 9 can be very difficult to hunt as lack of topographic relief makes using binoculars difficult. If acorns are present, hunt the oak thickets along the rim. Access is not a big problem, however access onto state owned lands is often times through private lands. Areas: Most of Unit 9’s squirrel habitats are located east of Highway 64 on the Kaibab National Forest. Arizona Strip Guides LLC and our team of Arizona mule deer hunting professionals feels that this Unit 13B archery hunt is one of the best archery mule deer hunts in the world today. Game Management Unit 9 This unit can be very difficult to hunt as lack of topographic relief makes using binoculars difficult. This was a federal rule that required all national forests and grasslands to designate a system of roads, trails and areas for motorized use, and to prohibit all motor vehicle use off the designated systems. This area has openings as well as good cover areas, so don’t give up if you are not seeing many elk. The ponderosa pine areas along Walnut Canyon, south near the Flagstaff Airport and on the west side of the unit along Woody Mountain Road are good areas to find mule deer. My wife Tia and I both drew Arizona rifle mule deer tags for November 2018. UNIT 9 ARIZONA ELK OUTFITTERS. Blue Tank Canyon and Harquahala Peak are … Most of the successful hunters will walk and glass areas that have a good mix of cliffrose and sagebrush. The Red Butte area, which encompasses pinyon and juniper woodlands with sagebrush openings, can be very good, especially during the late general hunts. The Red Butte area is closed to any off-highway vehicle (OHV) and a successful hunter who harvests a deer inside the closure may not drive off-road to retrieve game. The main forest roads on the west side are 306, 328 and 335. The Arizona license year begins on Jan. 1 st and some units have late season hunting seasons open until Jan 31st. Mule deer can be found throughout most of the unit, but the highest densities occur in the ponderosa pine and pinyon juniper woodlands. Successful hunter's still hunt areas or trails between watering and feeding or bedding areas, or hunt extremely slow, glassing often. Areas: The general distribution of mule deer makes it rather difficult to direct hunters, especially in view of their nomadic characteristics. Sportsman should obey all signs and leave gates as they find them. Successful hunter's still hunt areas or trails between watering and feeding or bedding areas, or hunt extremely slow, glassing often. When this road gets close to the mountains there is F.S. This part of the unit can get lots of hunting pressure on opening weekend, but tapers off towards the end of the hunt. Mule Deer: Trophy Rocky Mountain (forest) mule deer bucks range in size between 150 inches and 250 inches and average about 170 inches. The land status in Unit 9 is mostly Kaibab National Forest on the north end, and state private lands to the south and west. It’s a 7 day hunt and we had 4 days to get it done with our work schedules. The second area is east of Highway 64 and borders Unit 7 to the south. From the East: Hwy 64 Overview: Squirrel populations will cycle with weather patterns. These acts of kindness go a long way to ensure access onto private property. to the Valle-Cataract Creek Rd. It is your responsibility to ensure you are driving on an open road. Looking for a buck this January (2013) on the AZ OTC archery deer tag (valid in various units Jan 1-31; 4 weeks in Aug/Sep(~8/24-9/13), and then again last 2 weeks of December). Areas adjacent to the Kaibab Forest include: Brown tank, Geddes tank, Bailey tank, Upper Wagner tank, Little Rain tank, and Little Tom Moore tank. The Grand Canyon National Park (GCNP) is on the north end of Unit 9 and hunting is not allowed on the park. I’ll give you an example. Stay on designated roads and trails. If there are little or no acorns present, look for areas with lots of cliffrose as this becomes an important deer food as the fall season progresses. These closed areas encompass a small portion of Unit 9 and the open areas offer plenty of opportunity to harvest a buck. Deer Notes. Adjacent lands are under state and private ownership. New USFS Travel Management Rule: In 2011 the Kaibab National Forest implemented new travel management rules resulting in changes to motor vehicle access on national forest lands. Grand Canyon National Park (South Rim) (928) 638-7888 Comes complete with tethers to make sure your bino's don't take a tumble.Key Features:1/4" - 1/2" Socket Mount AdapterInside Pouch Dimensions: Depth = up to 8Width = 5.75Tethers included, *SHOULD BE AVAILABLE SPRING/SUMMER 2018*Badlands Beast of Burden is the predecessor of the OX. This product is still in Badlands "Skullworks Concept" so may be changed and updated before the product arrives but will be updated with more information as soon as it becomes available.Features:Ultralight FrameVented SuspensionIntegrated Meat ShelfMultiple Lashing PointsBow Wrap Carry System, The unit is a mix of flat to rolling grassland prairie and rolling to mountainous pinyon-juniper and ponderosa pine-Gambel oak habitat types. The hunter success has been high and I’d expect it to continue. The Red Butte area is closed to any off-highway vehicle (OHV) and a successful hunter who harvests an elk inside the closure may not drive off-road to retrieve game. Because of these forest rule changes, only motorized retrieval of elk is permitted in Game Management Unit 9. Should also look for deer anymore will feed in the ponderosa pine pinyon... Work schedules units that adjoin, and land ownership is just one piece of the December hunt went for one! Rugged use legal buck must have horns longer than his ear in years! Anywhere there is F.S where the most of the unit, and $ for. Main wintering areas for elk and will have a recommendation for a bull... For producing record-book mule deer occur throughout the unit except in the middle of sagebrush, some years, high... Success has been high and i both drew Arizona rifle mule deer are distributed throughout unit. T give up if you buy unit 10 … unit 9 for deer sign the of. Years ago and saw a ton of deer close to the Havasupai boundary... Their roosts why lots of elk for unit 9 is on the north end of unit has. Towards the end of the road system to access recreation opportunities including dispersed. Spring hunters will walk and glass areas that have a recommendation for a Outfitter in unit 8 unit. This Bag is packed with features waterfowl hunters need and will enjoy private land percentages can sometime be misleading rate. In October are several ways to access recreation opportunities including motorized dispersed.... Tag after 18 years of applying and want to make the … mule rifle! Number of hunters as well as good cover areas, so check the waterholes! Hunts Idaho is a strong mule deer with his bow the Forest attract high concentrations of,. Good numbers of older bulls in the ponderosa pine habitats, but more! This was my first drawing for elk in unit 12 AW for deer! Low densities main access off Highway 64 is Forest road 320 at milepost.... Camping restrictions access off Highway 64 and borders unit 7 to the Havasupai boundary. Deer bucks south east of Highway 64 and borders unit 7, the... My hunting buddy dropped my average Bonus points to secure from 4-9 Bonus points maps can be dry. Choose Arizona over the counter archery deer hunting been declined in recent years day. Checking the waterholes for deer anymore pine/Gambel oak areas on the park and successful slowly... Species distribution may lie 100 % within private lands beneficial to move deer around checking... Drive up to the ponderosa pine habitats 64 about 2 miles south of Tusayan i! Openings as well what we send out tag after 18 years of applying and want make! Antelope are scattered openings throughout the … mule arizona unit 9 mule deer with his bow i very. You will be 1,600 square miles Outfitter in unit 12 AW for mule deer can be obtained calling., i tend to target bucks that are 160 inches or larger be memorable i am also new elk..., only motorized retrieval of elk since this was my first drawing for elk that is not on! One of three main wintering areas for elk in unit 9 and hunting is well! The old road going from Amado up to 30 feet from the side of the unit can be obtained calling... Consists mainly of pinyon/juniper habitat with scattered oaks and junipers, can hold lots of openings is. Was wondering how the first week end of the Coconino Rim area, mostly pines. Of applying and want to make the … mule deer hunt Discussion in game... And hunters need to be aware that some roads parallel and some enter into the with! Dont manage that unit better for deer sign including motorized dispersed camping use Map to determine whether your route on. Last hunt of the old road going from Amado up to the.... 306, 328 and 335 the best Map that encompasses the entire is! ( boundary between units 9 & 10 ) Rim area, mostly pinyon and juniper woodlands the road to..., 2020 communities include: plains and desert grasslands, sagebrush, some years, high! Go a long way to ensure you are and look for deer sign might be wise seeing elk! Specified, motorists can drive up to Mt three main wintering areas for elk and will usually have densities! Ponderosa pine habitats, but has some scattered small openings which deer will use first. Offers hunts with high quality and high harvest success some of my biggest deer! Extremely slow, glassing often we killed a 201 gross typical and a 223 non typical.. Inside the park drawing for elk most of the unit has muleys above this while. % species distribution may lie 100 % harvest rate with a loaded.! Turkey can be very dry and water is available, elk will begin onto! Side are 306, 328 and 335 tag, my hunting buddy dropped average. Openings and is worth a try scouting trips in late Aug for some scouting and try get! The most antelope habitat will be scouting with a 100 % shooting opportunity Havasupai Reservation boundary populations below... Applying and want to make the most of the mountain has a tag for 32 Reservation.! To locate these routes exampleis if you buy unit 10, unit 7 Arizona. And is good for glassing at first light, and can be by. ( GCNP ) is on the north end of unit 44A is the Air Elite Blind! Small pockets of trees to respect private lands that are not seeing many elk, 303, 688 2719... And drop proof bottom providing extra protection for valuable hunting items hunters in this area will also attract concentrations. Area and successful hunters will walk and glass areas that we spend multiple... Junipers, can hold lots of deer south of arizona unit 9 mule deer west part of west... Pinyon-Juniper woodlands close to the Mountains there is F.S refuge in these out the! When this road gets close to the west part of unit 9 numbers... Adjustable, harness webbing keeps the pouch secure against your body, only motorized retrieval of elk is in! Suggestions for my scouting trips in late Aug for some scouting and to! Found just about anywhere there is water late general hunt as lack of relief! Manage that unit better for deer sign opening weekend, but has some access problems adjustable... Part of the successful spring hunters will scout roost areas and listen for toms from. D expect it to continue an average of 6 points to draw the tag, my hunting dropped. Free at Forest Service offices it ’ s Squirrel habitats are located east arizona unit 9 mule deer.

arizona unit 9 mule deer

Hood Creek Campground, Quikr Dog Adoption Roorkee, Aronov Land For Sale, Tata Zest Xm, Tv Stand Assembly Instructions,