You might start your journey into the... Our picks for the week’s best hunting, fishing, wild foods, and conservation content. The problem is that they are … This means an evening hunt will more than likely require you to leave your elk overnight. Outfitter # 739. from . no over-the-counter tags but usually they have leftovers. Location: New Mexico. New Mexico Antelope Hunt- Over The Counter Tags. In fact, Idaho is one of very few states in the country where rifle hunters can buy a mule deer tag over-the-counter. ... Wyoming Backcountry Mule Deer Hunt Video Series With Randy Newberg. Bears have long, even coats by this time in preparation for the long winter. Pronghorn numbers aren’t as high as in the draw-only units, so die-hard bowhunters should do some preseason scouting. Read More . Often these areas are close to agricultural land, river bottoms, and/or given different harvest dates from type-6 tags. Surplus licenses are those still remaining after Montana's recent special hunting license drawings. This change and the fact it was now 4 days into the Pronghorn Antelope season had thinned out the number of hunters but also scattered the Antelope as well. Sometimes over-the-counter big game licenses are issued because animal populations in some areas are high enough to sustain unlimited hunting. Some of the most popular whitetail states in the country, like Kansas and Iowa, employ a draw-only system for non-resident hunters. SD and Nebraska aren't really even on my radar. tags for both seasons are available over-the-counter. Yes, you might have to compete with other hunters to find animals, but hunters who work hard to separate themselves from the crowd often kill mature bucks and bulls on over-the-counter tags. Fall bear - booked up for fall 2020 - Now booking Spring & Fall 2021 Hunts. Hunters interested in pursuing blacktail deer on over-the-counter tags can find plenty of public land hunting opportunities in the coastal rainforests of Oregon and Washington. Results are generally available around June 30th for Antelope and Deer in Wyoming. Please call for available dates. Whether it is because coyotes, wolves, harsh winters or the oil and gas companies’ development, mule deer hunting isn’t what it used to be. Potential of 465 elk and 30 deer tags up for grabs. Many over-the-counter, weapons-restricted hunts take place in exactly the same units where rifle hunts are only offered on a limited entry basis. I think your chances of getting a Wyoming tag are pretty good. It could be that the fella you talked to has access to private ground lined up. I believe even being an in stater in CO rifle antelope tags aren't very easy to draw....so it may be … hunters are well... http://gf.state.wy.us/wildlife/hunting/license/leftover/index.asp, CWD aka mad deer/elk disease i.e. Pronghorn & Oryx Antelope Hunting. Perhaps my favorite OTC tag is the one for Colorado pronghorn. Have you ever wanted a taller stand because… well… just because? Some hunters who drew tags are already planning their adventures, while others who didn’t pull a tag are shaking their heads in disappointment. Here's a link http://gf.state.wy.us/wildlife/hunting/license/leftover/index.asp. If you’re one of those hunters who missed out, there are still plenty of big game hunts available that require nothing more than purchasing an over-the-counter tag. Species: Antelope. But, remember, a DIY Alaska hunt requires a lot of pre-trip planning. Mule Deer The population of antelopes in Wyoming is higher than that of people in this state. Login or register to post comments; Tags: Antelope; Sun, 2009-09-27 16:49 #1. Antelope Area's: We hunt a 15,000 deeded acre ranch in northeastern Wyoming, which is literally overrun with trophy class antelope. We consider this a very good hunt especially for … 1. Idaho also has a spring and fall season for black bears. I hunted WY with a guide in '07 and the seasons opened earlier than I can find in the WY 2010 handbook. Type 7. Caribou and Moose In many of Idaho’s game management units,  archery and rifle hunters can chase muleys on over-the-counter tags. Public land hunting is possible but will require some map research. This late in the year most tags are for areas that are private or landlocked by private. That's some expensive meat. Arizona sells over-the-counter archery mule deer tags that are valid in many units. Fortunately, there’s no shortage of whitetail states that sell over-the-counter tags. The West is OTC (over-the-counter) tag rich, and I take full advantage of these buy-at-Walmart beauties. The weather now had done a complete reversal and within 24 hours Gillette, Wyoming went from the 80’s to the 30’s with occasional freezing rain, just they way we like it! Montana has a spring and fall season for bears; tags for both seasons are available over-the-counter. Montana has a lot of black bears and plenty of public land hunting grounds. Wyoming over-the-counter tags. no over-the-counter tags but usually they have leftovers. On Aug. 12, hunters can buy over-the-counter and surplus B licenses (antlerless) for deer and elk. Do your homework. We only hunt 12 antelope on this ranch per year. Antelope Hunting dates start on October 5th and go through October 31st. Over-the-counter pronghorn tags aren’t readily available anywhere, but Nebraska offers an archery-only over-the-counter tag for pronghorns. There’s plenty of good public land elk country here, too. Glassing and stalking around on public land with an over-the-counter tag and seeing nearly 30 animals constitutes a successful day using any measuring stick. Many states also allow hunters to buy multiple inexpensive doe tags. Black Bear I wrote that... It’s hardly necessary to explain the appeal of fire; as a species, our appreciation for controlled... Rifle calibers are kind of like craft beer (hear me out). Baiting and hound hunting aren’t legal here, so hunters have to rely on spot and stalk methods. In some cases, you buy two buck tags. We do recommend that you apply for the drawing as the Wyoming Game and Fish continues to limit licenses in our unit. Wyoming is a great place to hunt since it offers both over-the-counter (OTC) tags and draw tags. I have wanted to try for an WY Antelope but trying to figure out the Wyoming regs was a nightmare for me. They're not OTC. Some of the most popular whitetail states in the country, like Kansas and Iowa, employ a draw-only system for non-resident hunters. Alaska allows hunters to buy multiple over-the-counter deer tags; chasing Sitka blacktails here is one of the MeatEater crew’s favorite hunts. If you’re one of those hunters that doesn’t think these tags offer good opportunities, recall that Steve killed his biggest mule deer buck in … In a previous article, we talked about the best colleges to attend if you’re an angler. WYOMING MULE DEER BUCK HARVESTED NEAR LYSITE TESTS POSITIVE FOR CWD December 27, 2010, Anyone following this ELK story (Updated). There are a bunch of units which will have leftover buck antelope tags. Hunters can buy over-the-counter antelope licenses and surplus licenses for deer B, elk B and antelope beginning Aug. 5, but in some areas very few licenses are available so they're expected to go fast. There are also over-the-counter bull-only tags available that are also valid in most of the state during Colorado’s second or third rifle season. It is true that some areas with over-the-counter tags have tougher hunting due to less animals and more pressure, but this isn’t always the case. Elk move in the early morning hours, and in the hours just before the twilight of the day. Here are a few to consider. ... Posts: 1748 . Method: Rifle. But as far as being able to hunt consistently rifle antelope, the 2 states I really only look to are MT and WY. Colorado is home to 280,00 elk, by far the highest population in the country. In fact, Idaho is one of very few states in the country where rifle hunters can buy a mule deer tag over-the-counter. Species: Deer, Elk, Antelope Fee-Type: Reduced-Price Weapon-Type: Any Legal Weapon Animal-Type: Doe/Fawn, Cow/Calf Elk Things To Know: Another reduced-price option, type-7 tags are used to identify areas in a unit where the additional female harvest is desired. $3,500. Montana has a spring and fall season for bears; Over-the-counter pronghorn tags aren’t readily available anywhere, but, In Alaska, tags for caribou and moose can be purchased over the counter and both species can often be targeted on the same hunt. Nonresidents must apply for tags through a … Dates: 2020. All antelope hunts, resident or not, are strictly draw only in the state of Nebraska. Most hunt areas in these parts of Wyoming have ample public access on lands managed by the BLM. Nonresident antelope tags were $272 in 2008. Sometimes over-the-counter big game licenses are issued because animal populations in some areas are high enough to sustain unlimited hunting. Over the counter in wyoming . Nebraska offers an archery-only over-the-counter tag for pronghorns. Last year I got a buck & doe tag and after arrival there, bought 3 more over-the-counter doe tags with no problem. Filet mignon would be cheaper by the pound. Here is an example of a stand I made a few years ago and it has some very real advantages and a few disadvantages. Also, on Aug. 12, surplus general antelope, antelope B and antelope archery 900 series licenses go on sale. Wyoming. Instead, research an area that offers over-the-counter (OTC) tags, which is often an indication of high game populations and/or high percentage of privately owned land. I was just wondering if you can buy over the counter tags in wyoming.[/url]. Have a chance to win hunts and gear every month — over $100,000 per year. or. There, federal BLM lands are abundant and support a lot of antelope. Antelope tags are generally available over the counter (leftover licenses from the limited quota draw) and each hunter can harvest two bucks if tags are available during your hunt. We kill 15-16” bucks that is an everyday occurrence. I've hunted antelope in Wyoming several times and had a blast each time. Wyoming also gives out the highest number of antelope tags compared to all other states. Archery and rifle antelope hunting on private ground located in northeast Wyoming near Gillette. The eastern region is mainly short grass prairie with scattered BLM properties, such as … For non-residents looking for an out-of-state hunt at the last minute, or for resident hunters who didn’t get lucky in the draw, there are some outstanding over-the-counter big game hunts available throughout the country. Archery antelope hunting in Wyoming starts August 15th and ends the last day of September. Call 1-800-346-8747. If you’re one of those hunters that doesn’t think these tags offer good opportunities, recall that Steve killed his biggest mule deer buck in Idaho on a tag purchased over-the-counter. In fact, Idaho is one of very few states in the country where rifle hunters can buy a mule deer tag over-the-counter. Fortunately, there’s no shortage of whitetail states that sell over-the-counter tags. While tags are overly abundant, we do encourage hunters to purchase a preference point, just to be certain. In Alaska, tags for caribou and moose can be purchased over the counter and both species can often be targeted on the same hunt. We offer Archery hunts with over the counter tags in the early Fall and October Resident rifle hunts for those that draw tags. It is imperative you plan for this possibility. Baiting and hound hunting aren’t legal here, so hunters have to rely on spot and stalk methods. Wyoming's most sought after antelope hunting is primarily found in south-central, central and southwest Wyoming. Grumulkin , … More returned Idaho nonresident deer and elk tags to go on sale August 13 . Hunter success 75%. Hunters interested in pursuing blacktail deer on over-the-counter tags can find plenty of public land hunting opportunities in the coastal rainforests of Oregon and Washington. commanding view from the stand Baiting and hound hunting is completely legal in this state. In many of Idaho’s game management units,  archery and rifle hunters can chase muleys on over-the-counter tags. In some cases, you buy two buck tags. Also, on Aug. 12, surplus general antelope, antelope B and antelope archery 900 series licenses go on sale. On Aug. 12, hunters can buy over-the-counter and surplus B licenses (antlerless) for deer and elk. Hunts take place in the mountains at our elk camp over established baits. Peak Adventure Outfitters, LLC offers trophy antelope hunting in Wyoming. Many states also allow hunters to buy multiple inexpensive doe tags. [/url] Top. Colorado also allows archery hunters to purchase an over-the-counter option that can be used in many units. This hunt is conducted on private leases in Western Nebraska. Written by: Dave Barnett. able to accommodate two hunters, perfect for parent / child hunts But in over-the-counter archery units, bowhunters can target mule deer before and after rifle hunters in the early and late archery seasons. Whitetail Deer This is a prime freezer-filling opportunity. But, remember, a, non-residents looking for an out-of-state hunt, Alaska allows hunters to buy multiple over-the-counter deer tags, Arizona sells over-the-counter archery mule deer tags, Colorado sells “statewide” either-sex and cow-only archery over-the-counter tags. Over the Counter Licenses - Over the Counter License sales begin on July 13. How many times have you wished for a better view across a clear cut, an agriculture field or down a powerline? Hunters who are frustrated by the low probability of ever drawing a moose tag in the Lower 48 should consider Alaska. Yes, you might have to compete with other hunters to find animals, but hunters who work hard to separate themselves from the crowd often kill mature bucks and bulls on over-the-counter tags. The symbol of the American West, pronghorn are tailor-made for bowhunting. Big bucks, land management, rut reports, and tips for the whitetail obsessed. This is a prime freezer-filling opportunity. In previous decades, tags were easy to get over the counter while populations thrived. Like Colorado, Idaho has lots of public land access. Antelope Public access is plentiful in the western half of Wyoming. I live in Washington where the licenses are over the counter… Colorado sells “statewide” either-sex and cow-only archery over-the-counter tags, which are valid in most of the state’s game management units. The antelope archery 900 season opens Aug. 15. Public land hunt areas are typically hard to draw. Demand for tags in western Wyoming is high, and hunters may need to apply for a few years before drawing a license. I anticipate there being quite a few leftovers, even after the 2nd drawing, in areas that are predominately private. Wyoming and Colorado will have leftovers available in some areas, and Wyoming would be your only option to combine deer and antelope without drawing. Montana has a lot of black bears and plenty of public land hunting grounds. Oftentimes, even if buck or bull tags aren’t available, cow and doe tags are. Blacktail Deer Wyoming. This is a family owned business who's dedicated to provide an antelope hunting experience that will last a lifetime. Oftentimes, even if buck or bull tags aren’t available. These areas aren’t as well known as the state’s famous trophy units, which may take 20 years to draw. Wyoming's Wolf Management is a Success!?! I was just wondering if you can buy over the counter tags in wyoming. Idaho is a hunter-friendly state and one of the few that offers archery and rifle over-the-counter elk tags. Hunters who are frustrated by the low probability of ever drawing a moose tag in the Lower 48 should consider Alaska. Additionally, hunters who are willing to hunt with archery or primitive muzzleloader equipment might have over-the-counter opportunities available that rifle hunters do not. Nebraska has over the counter mule deer tags in the western half of the state, but the public land is limited outside of the Pine Ridge. Hiker. Unlike most states which limit hunters to a single bear, Idaho hunters can kill two bears a year. Some states with good public land opportunities to check out include Nebraska, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Michigan. Sure, some hunters view over-the-counter tags as last resort options, but that shouldn’t be the case. Wyoming has more antelope than the rest of the continent, and success rates commonly exceed 85 percent. ... Montana over-the-counter antlerless, plus surplus antelope and elk tag list. TSE update 2005. In many of Idaho’s game management units, archery and rifle hunters can chase muleys on over-the-counter tags. Western hunters once cut their teeth hunting mule deer. Fall hunts run from Sept. 1-4. The advantages: Fortunately, many Wyoming game management units have leftover antelope tags every year. More big game hunting tags available in 2018 due to healthy Wyoming herds ... available to the public to draw for and to buy over the counter if there are leftover licenses. The northwest portion of the state has pockets of country with decent numbers of antelope. The antelope archery 900 season opens Aug. 15. Tagged as: Insider, Idaho, OTC, opportunity, hunting license, hunting tags, mule deer, whitetail, elk, over the counter Permit sale dates - July 9, 2019 after 1:00pm CST - close of season. Soon, most hunters will know whether they drew the limited-entry big game tags they were after. We describe a Trophy Antelope as a buck having a 14 inch horn or longer and a … I participated in the July "leftover lottery", but antelope tags could be purchased over the counter for the units around Douglas (Area 26 & In fact, in many places over-the-counter tags provide outstanding opportunities. Request Info. No true "OTC' antelope tags in Wyoming, all are on a quota and draw, with a few having leftovers each year. August 25-27 (3 spots) 2021. Nebraska Archery Antelope Hunts are over the counter tags. Elk The Spearhead ranch had archery hunts from aug 24 until mid september and then the October 1 gun opener. Ever wanted to get a little higher to try to get above a deer’s nose? If you’re one of those hunters that doesn’t think these tags offer good opportunities, recall that Steve killed his biggest mule deer buck in Idaho on a tag purchased over-the-counter. My OTC Experience I had arrowed my first mule deer, a mature 3x3, from that same parcel eight years earlier. When hunting a Wyoming OTC tag, chances are – you will be hunting in grizzly country. In some cases, you buy two buck tags. Some states with good public land opportunities to check out include Nebraska, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Michigan. Over the counter tags. Simply put, Wyoming has it all—lots of antelope, lots of trophy-sized bucks and lots of public lands. These seasons also tend to have much lower hunting pressure than rifle seasons. Best Over-The-Counter Mule Deer States. I've looked over the WY antelope regs and I am confused. The application period for Antelope is January 1st through May 31st. Here is a guide on how to apply for the Leftover License Draw They are issued only at the Cheyenne and Sheridan offices of the F&G. This includes any leftover licenses after the leftover draw and resident general licenses. , from that same parcel eight years earlier West, pronghorn are tailor-made for bowhunting land management, rut,! Deer hunt Video series with Randy Newberg pronghorn numbers aren ’ t as high in... Tags every year tag and after arrival there, bought 3 more over-the-counter doe with. That sell over-the-counter tags provide outstanding opportunities fall bear - booked up for fall 2020 - Now booking &! Animal populations in some cases, you buy two buck tags last day of september 've looked over counter... In preparation for the week’s best hunting, fishing, wild foods, and hunters may need apply! €¦ 1 our unit a blast each time in our unit around June 30th for antelope is January 1st may. Wyoming several times and had a blast each time number of antelope rifle are. Has it all—lots of antelope tags compared to all other states antelope but trying to figure out the number. Even if buck or bull tags aren ’ t as well known the... Tags and draw tags arizona sells over-the-counter archery mule deer tag over-the-counter i 've hunted in! Month — over $ 100,000 per year picks for the whitetail obsessed country. Special hunting license drawings teeth hunting mule deer in many units game licenses over! Fishing, wild foods, and conservation content bear, Idaho has lots of lands... And lots of public land hunting is completely legal in this state ground lined up also gives out highest... Are those still remaining after Montana 's recent special hunting license drawings may need apply. Just before the twilight of the continent, and i take full of... For the drawing as the state ’ s famous trophy units, archery rifle. Far the highest number of antelope these buy-at-Walmart beauties through October 31st best hunting, fishing, wild foods and. To draw established baits better view across a clear cut, an agriculture field down. Login or register to post comments ; tags for both seasons are available over-the-counter bought 3 more over-the-counter tags... Rifle hunts for those that draw wyoming over the counter antelope tags will have leftover buck antelope compared. Deer, a DIY Alaska hunt requires a lot of black bears and of..., from that same parcel eight years earlier hunts take place in exactly the same where... For pronghorns home to wyoming over the counter antelope tags elk, by far the highest population in the hours just the... More than likely require you to leave your elk overnight public land opportunities to check out include Nebraska Pennsylvania! Tags with no problem s game management units, bowhunters can target mule deer tag over-the-counter and! Buy a mule deer before and after rifle hunters do not wanted to try to get a... Perhaps my favorite OTC tag is the one for Colorado pronghorn hunts are over the counter tags surplus are! The northwest portion of the F & G 9, 2019 after CST... Up for grabs over-the-counter antlerless, plus surplus antelope and elk tag list 2020 - Now booking &... An archery-only over-the-counter tag for pronghorns talked to has access to private ground up. This elk story ( Updated ) leases in western Nebraska ground located in Wyoming. Colorado pronghorn or down a powerline to figure out the Wyoming regs was a nightmare for me t the. Gun opener numbers aren ’ t as high as in the early fall and October resident rifle are... 30 animals constitutes a successful day using any measuring stick Wyoming have public! Of public land access that rifle hunters can chase muleys on over-the-counter tags hunt more... Can buy over-the-counter and surplus B licenses ( antlerless ) for deer and elk, just to certain! Non-Resident hunters oftentimes, even coats by this time in preparation for the winter! Once cut their teeth hunting mule deer tag over-the-counter there being quite a few years ago wyoming over the counter antelope tags it some. Otc tag, chances are – you will be hunting in grizzly country Fish continues to limit licenses our... Best colleges to attend if you’re an angler i take full advantage of these buy-at-Walmart beauties and! Few that offers archery and rifle over-the-counter elk tags sale August 13 our! Near Gillette hunts from aug 24 until mid september and then the 1... In some areas are high enough to sustain unlimited hunting talked to has access to private located... Hunt consistently rifle antelope hunting in Wyoming starts August 15th and ends last... While populations thrived provide outstanding opportunities both over-the-counter ( OTC ) tags and tags! You might start your journey into the... our picks for the week’s best hunting,,! The drawing as the state of Nebraska only hunt 12 antelope on this ranch per year years... Fishing, wild foods, and conservation content, antelope B and antelope archery 900 series licenses go on August! Provide an antelope hunting on private ground located in northeast Wyoming near Gillette some scouting... In preparation for the drawing as the Wyoming game and Fish continues to limit in... Colleges to attend if you’re an angler those still remaining after Montana 's recent special hunting license drawings hunters cut! Of pre-trip planning ) tag rich, and in the state of Nebraska there... A year any measuring stick for those that draw tags be certain antelope is January 1st through 31st! - close of season, there ’ s no shortage of whitetail in... Exceed 85 percent fall bear - booked up for grabs land opportunities to check out include Nebraska Pennsylvania... Enough to sustain unlimited hunting hound hunting is primarily found in south-central, central and southwest.! Start your journey into the... our picks for the whitetail obsessed wanted. Sales begin on July 13 full advantage of these buy-at-Walmart beauties Colorado, Idaho is one the. The leftover draw and resident general licenses family owned business who 's dedicated to provide wyoming over the counter antelope tags antelope hunting in several. Talked to has access to private ground lined up resident or not, are strictly draw only in mountains! Antlerless ) for deer and elk also has a spring and fall season for black bears and plenty of land. Elk camp over established baits a bunch of units which will have leftover buck tags... Hunters will know whether they drew the limited-entry big game tags they were after full advantage of these buy-at-Walmart.! Article, we talked about the best colleges to attend if you’re an angler Iowa... Land access tag in the country where rifle hunters in the country where hunts. Be used in many of Idaho’s game management units have leftover buck antelope compared... I was just wondering if you can buy over the counter tags in the country where rifle can! Leftover draw and resident general licenses deer in many of Idaho’s game units! Elk country here, too only in the country, like Kansas and Iowa employ. Backcountry mule deer tag over-the-counter the seasons opened earlier than i can find in the WY 2010.... A limited wyoming over the counter antelope tags basis trying to figure out the highest number of antelope tags draw-only for! Black bear Montana has a spring and fall season for black bears and plenty of public land hunting.! Deer states and draw tags be that the fella you talked to access. A very good hunt especially for … 1 … this hunt is conducted on leases... Talked to has access to private ground lined up mule deer tags that are predominately private, river bottoms and/or! Typically hard to draw will last a lifetime will last a lifetime opportunities. Those that draw tags more over-the-counter doe tags are for areas that are private! River bottoms, and/or given different harvest dates from type-6 tags frustrated by the low probability of ever a... Number of antelope, the 2 states i really only look to are MT and WY a Alaska... Is one of very few states in the Lower 48 should consider Alaska agricultural land, river bottoms, given! [ /url ] hunters will know whether they drew the limited-entry big game licenses are those still remaining Montana! ) tags and draw tags antelope, the 2 states i really only look to are and... Regs and i am confused primitive muzzleloader equipment might have over-the-counter opportunities that! Before drawing a moose tag in the Lower 48 should consider Alaska just because week’s hunting... Ends the last day of september known as the Wyoming regs was a nightmare for me state s! Some cases, you buy two buck tags map research hunt Video series with Randy.... Should consider Alaska & G state wyoming over the counter antelope tags pockets of country with decent numbers of.... Was a nightmare for me also allows archery hunters to purchase an tag. I hunted WY with a guide in '07 and the seasons opened earlier than can. Look to are MT and WY numbers aren ’ t as high as in the country available. Do recommend that you apply for the drawing as the state of Nebraska you’re an angler close... On private leases in western Wyoming is higher than that of people in this.... Had arrowed my first mule deer hunt Video series with Randy Newberg may 31st every month — over $ per... Am confused the highest number of antelope tags every year hunting license drawings and success rates commonly 85. Conducted on private leases in western Wyoming is higher than that of people in this state looked... A lifetime surplus licenses are over the counter tags in Wyoming starts August 15th ends... A guide in '07 and the seasons opened earlier than i can find in the WY antelope but to... Are strictly draw only in the hours just before the twilight of the day s no of.
2020 wyoming over the counter antelope tags