As with any weight of yarn, fingering-weight yarns can be any kind of fiber and texture–you can certainly substitute fingering weight yarns into a pattern that suggests #10 crochet thread, keeping in mind the fact that the results may look somewhat different from the original. Suitable for machine washing on a wool cycle. It’s heavier than sport weight but lighter than worsted and is commonly used for sweaters, shirts, garments, and accessories such as scarves, hats, mittens and more. However, UK and US stitchers, don’t be worried if your DK yarn doesn’t have 8 plies of fibers spun together. This includes a breakdown of UK, USA and Australian terminology. This time in the My Favourite Yarns series, I’m going to be looking at King Cole Cottonsoft DK – a yarn I am obsessed with for Tunisian crochet in particular. She was advertising the yarn as “Milk Cotton“, and assuming that it was just cotton yarn, I went ahead and purchased it. But be careful! Since DK weight yarn is used in a lot of baby clothing projects, you may be tempted to go for “baby yarn” (a common name for sport weight yarn). Mercerized cotton is a treated cotton yarn that therefore is not as absorbent, it is less likely to shrink in the event it gets wet and appears shinier to the eye. Possibly enough that the garment will come out too small. MoYa Piccolo - 100% Cotton - Baby Weight MoYa Opal - 35% Superwash Wool 10% Mohair 55% Cotton - Light 4 ply MoYa Asili - 80% Cotton + 20% Rayon - … DK is very easy to handle, even for new crocheters. Yarn weights were developed when yarn meant wool and (perhaps) cotton. Just one last quick tip about DK yarn before we are done. This yarn has more drape. Do crochet garments frustrate you? Cotton isn’t elastic so sweaters made from pure cotton can sag under their own weight, so a cotton blend is often a good compromise. Cotton is machine washable, hard wearing and often fairly cheap. Welcome, I'm Rachel! What is DK weight yarn, exactly? Yes, don’t worry. Yarn is composed of twisted strands of fiber, which are known as plies when grouped together. Want to download and print this post? Make this amazing wrap using DK yarn with this free pattern! But if you’d rather have the widest selection available, I love ordering my yarn from Lion Brand or We Crochet. This kind of crochet thread is very smooth. Make this stylish throw blanket using DK yarn with this free pattern to up your living room’s style! However, you can actually use any yarn you want for this pattern. It’s actually the thickness, or weight, of the yarn. It’s heavier than 2 Fine yarns (aka sport weight yarn) and thinner than 4 medium yarns (aka worsted weight yarn). Naturally colored cotton is easier to grow organically, plus it does not require any bleach or dyes in processing. Novelty yarns, art yarns and other off-the-charts fibers. You might hear DK weight yarn called “baby yarn” or “light yarn”.Originally it was used for double knitting with a nice colour design on both sides. This baby sweater is knit in one piece using cotton but can be substituted with any double knitting yarn. It seems like every pattern is just a mess of abbreviations. Grab a hook and join me in my creative journey! If there’s anything else you’d like to know, feel free to ask in the comments. So I thought it would be good to share some of the ones I have tried with you. Download your own CROCHET GARMENT CHEAT SHEETS - FOR FREE! This beautiful selection of DK yarns can be used to make any of our DK knitting patterns and DK crochet patterns . The short answer is “double knitting” yarn. To use a thinner yarn for a pattern that calls for DK weight, two strands of sock yarn or two strands of sport yarn will come close to the correct size. The symbol for this is a ball of yarn with a number 3 inside. Cotton DK is a classic double knitting yarn that will knit to all Sirdar’s DK designs and is machine washable. Yarn manufacturers have experimented with different sizes and numbers of strands being spun together to get the same effect. But be careful! Rico Baby Cotton Soft (DK) This is a deliciously soft 100% cotton yarn, which is … This yarn contains mercerized cotton, so it will be shinier and may drape more. DK stands for “double knitting,” but in the case of DK yarn, it doesn’t mean that you use it exclusively to create projects using the double knitted technique, nor does it mean that you hold two strands of it together to stitch it.It’s simply a way to classify the weight of the yarn. If you were to use a worsted weight instead of a light worsted weight, your gauge would be different again, this time in the opposite direction. Make a knitted dog sweater with stripes with this free pattern that used double knitting yarn. Knitting and crochet yarns come in different weights, or thicknesses. Download these cheat sheets that will teach you the 6 essential concepts to understand before you crochet a garment! Cloudborn Pima Cotton DK Weight Yarn . I’ve created the option for you by making this post into a mini ebook! Maybe You're Afraid to even start... Download my FREE Garment Cheat Sheets that will teach you the 5 essential components you need to understand to make great-fitting sweaters! This means that if you purchase through my links, I may recieve a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Sometimes people ask – ‘Is worsted weight the same as 8 ply yarn?’ and the answer is no.8 ply would normally refer to double knitting yarn.Depending on which country you are in, there are many different terms for yarn weights.In the USA you would probably see this called a medium weight yarn or DK yarn, in the UK DK yarn or 8 ply and in Australia also 8 ply.This is an 8ply yarn below: Double knitting yarn is perfect for any kind of knitting project as it easy to knit and works up faster than superfine yarns.Due to its lightweight its ideal for a good stitch definition in a big project like a blanket or a long summer cardigan and still thin enough for small projects like baby socks. Dog Sweater Knitting Pattern {Straight Needles}, Aztec Tile Blanket Knit-Along by Lynne Rowe in Deramores Studio DK & Rowan Summerlite DK. It’s usually printed on the bottom of the yarn’s label. In reality, DK Weight is just a standard name for the particular thickness of yarn. The patterns and photographs of items on this site are the property of Handy Little Me. Yarn weight determines how many stitches it … Just remember, whenever you are making yarn substitutions, it’s important to do a test swatch first so you can make sure you can obtain the correct gauge for the pattern. DK yarn is fairly thin, which makes it great for doubling up without making the project too bulky. Originally it was used for double knitting with a nice colour design on both sides. Using a worsted weight yarn in place of a DK weight yarn will make your project come out bigger than intended. This works best for solid colors, but it can have a cool effect if you are using gradient colorways. Your email address will not be published. Cotton yarn is truly ideal for kitchen knits due to its absorbency, washability, and durability. Sign up for free patterns, lots of yarn love and a free 12 Beginner Stitch Patterns Ebook to download. $7.99 $6.79 15% off / 100g hank SALE. DK Weight Yarn: What It Is and Where To Find It, Autumn Leaves Cowl – Free Lightweight Crochet Cowl Pattern, 17 Tools Every Crocheter Needs (that are NOT yarn! Make this pretty hat with DK yarn for all the family as this free pattern comes in all sizes frombaby to adult. DK yarns are thinner than Aran yarns and are often used for projects that require lightweight yarns, such as a summer sweater, cap, accessories or children's clothing. The finished fabric may stretch with gravity and any shaping designed to allow a garment to pull in and hug the body may not be effective. Spun from multiple thin strands which make it extremely strong and durable, the mercerization process lends Muskat a beautiful and gentle shine, while also aiding the shape stability of your knitted garments. The tension was the same, so it seemed like an easy enough switch to make. Since DK weight yarn is used in a lot of baby clothing projects, you may be tempted to go for “baby yarn” (a common name for sport weight yarn). Frustrated By Crochet Garments? I promise I will only recommend products that I use and love. Disclosure. Make this unbelievably cute squid using DK yarn with this free pattern. Maybe You're Afraid to Even Start... Download my FREE Crochet Garment Cheat Sheets that will teach you the essential components to making sweaters successfully over and over again! But as I was knitting my top, I found I needed more yarn than the pattern had suggested. Sometimes a pattern will call for “light worsted” yarn, which is another common name for DK weight yarn. This Cotton Candy Cardigan was made from Lion Brand Truboo yarn. Perfect for small multi coloured projects, this yarn comes in a range of 50 happy shades from pretty pastels to cheerful brights. These are all yarns I have enjoyed working with and found at great prices both online and in my local craft store. You can use DK yarn on projects such as baby blankets, spring cardigans, shawls, and cowls. You could also use two strands of DK weight yarn together while knitting or crocheting to substitute a worsted weight yarn. (The kind that’s usually used for double knitting.). Especially with baby items. ORGANIC COTTON YARN. For information about yarn weight, see our handy yarn conversion chart. LovLim Crochet Yarn kit, 24 Soft Cotton Yarn skeins for Crochet and Knitting,1500+ Yards Craft DK Yarn, Free Crochet/Amigurumi Patterns, Perfect Starter kit 4.6 out of 5 … I’m glad to help you learn the ins and outs of the crochet world, and today, we are going to be talking about the abbreviation DK. The pattern recommended using a DK wool and acrylic blend, but I decided to knit it with a DK cotton instead. This is not the standard anymore. Yarn weights range from lace to super bulky, 0-7 the higher the number has the fewer stitches you get per inch. Psst… If getting the gauge figured out scares you, check out my free email course: I hope that answers any questions you have about DK weight yarn. If you’ve ever been totally in love with a yarn, but it just wasn’t the right size for the project you wanted to make with it, you know that substituting yarn sizes is sometimes a necessary evil. This article contains affiliate links that support Handy Little Me content and free patterns. Grab the ad-free, PDF version of it right here. King Cole Cottonsoft DK – Overview. Yarn is selected for different textiles based on the characteristics of the yarn fibres, such as warmth (wool), light weight (cotton or rayon), durability (nylon is added to sock yarn, for example), or softness (cashmere, alpaca). In 1988 there was only one acre of organically grown cotton in this country. I am passionate about creating crochet patterns for your home & wardrobe. This post contains affiliate links. To use DK weight yarn on a project that calls for worsted weight yarn, double up and work two strands of the DK yarn together. This Amore Shawl was made from Lion Brand Mandala yarn. But that’s because you really can use it for pretty much anything! In this post, we will look at DK weight yarn or double knitting yarn. Being savvy about yarn weight can come a long way in your projects. About This Yarn. If you're looking for an eco-friendly alternative to the common kitchen sponge that you can wash again and again, a simple hand-knit dishcloth will fit the bill. Or, more specifically, DK weight yarn. If you’re one of those people who needs to see and feel your yarn before you make a decision, stores like Joann’s, Michael’s and Hobby Lobby will have a good amount of options for you. ). You might hear DK weight yarn called “baby yarn” or “light yarn”. Make a dog sweater with an interesting stitch pattern called the grid stitch with this free knitting pattern. You can't get sizing right, or you're afraid to even start? MoYa Caresse-100% Cotton & 100% Cotton Slub - Aran Weight. The best way to tell if you’re picking out the right weight of yarn, then, is to pay attention to the Craft Yarn Council category. DK on the other hand is one of the abbreviations that does not refer to a type of stitch. And that can be hard to figure out if you don’t know where to start. DK Yarn DK weight yarn, also known as double knitting yarn, is one of the most popular weights as it’s very versatile and works for a wide range of projects. Filed Under: Yarn Weights Tagged With: dk weight yarn, double knitting, double knitting yarn, yarn weights, Your email address will not be published. The thickness of your yarn (among other factors) has a huge impact on the look of your knitted or crocheted fabric — and certainly the amount of time it takes to complete it. The double knit stitch is just where DK yarn gets its name from. Yarn Weight: DK | 8-ply Blend: 100% Cotton Needles: 4mm (US 6) Crochet Hooks: 4mm (F) Ball Weight: 50g (1.75oz) Yarn Length: 125m (137yds) Tension: 22 stitches, 30 rows to 10cm, 4in Made from 100% cotton, there is an enormous choice of colours on offer, you are sure to find the perfect combination for your next knitting project.Ideal for colourful stripes, intarsia, fair isle or knitted toys. DK weight yarn is very common for crochet and knitting patterns, so it’s widely available and easy to find. It’s highly recommended to make a gauge swatch before starting a project that requires sizing. DK (double knit) is the most popular of all yarn weights - perfect for jumpers and cardigans, kidswear and accessories. Cotton Yarn is a perfect everyday, affordable yarn, soft and easy to knit up and care for. It's not too expensive, although it's more than the average skein, and it has the lush airy feeling of a DK weight Pima cotton. These patterns and files are protected by copyright and you may not distribute or sell them electronically or physically. DK weight yarn falls into the #3-Light category. It’s a triangle shawl pattern with a lace design that looks intricate but is really just a combination of mostly double crochet, chains, and slip stitches, shaped together to form little lace hearts. Knitters love cotton for it's natural lightness, breathability, and the comfort it naturally imparts. worsted weight yarn) and heavier than 2-Fine yarns (a.k.a. You can find this pattern at The Two Of Wands website. Choose DK yarns in a range of beautiful colors or unique fiber blends. This Blog uses Affiliate Links. 1 ... 50% Merino Wool/50% Pima Cotton DK CotLin Reflections. View all Bernat Softee Baby Cotton Yarn 18 Shades Available Compare Bernat Softee Baby Cotton Yarn . Sign up to instantly download the Crochet Garment Cheat Sheets! This ebook contains the same information as this post, but in a beautifully formatted version that you can save to your computer and print out. At least, that’s what it stands for. Knit this cute cardigan to complete all of your spring outfits with this free pattern using double knitting yarn. Because it isn’t fluffy, cotton yarn is good at defining stitch patterns such as cables, on the down side uneven stitches tend to show up more. By 2001, there were more than 11,000 acres in organic cotton. As more and more creative yarns appear, from fluffy acrylic ‘eyelash’ yarns to ones made from recycled fabric, the categories become less helpful. Double knitting yarn is a 3 Light yarn weight along with light worsted yarns.It’s heavier than 2 Fine yarns (aka sport weight yarn) and thinner than 4 medium yarns (aka worsted weight yarn). DK weight yarns offer you the warmth of worsted weight yarns without the bulk, while giving you the drape and ease of a fingering weight or sport weight yarn.Warm, wooly fingerless gloves, year round sweaters and shawls perfect for chasing away winter’s chill are all great options for DK weight yarn.
2020 what is cotton dk yarn