Sony A6000: Features There are already plenty of sharp elbows in the high-end CSC market. It’s also a ‘wide’ screen, so in the regular 3:2 aspect ratio for stills, it doesn’t use the full screen width, which makes the screen feel quite small and cramped. Thank you for signing up to Digital Camera World. Face recognition on Sony mirrorless cameras has always been nothing short of mind blowing, and the this camera is no different. Both the A6000 and the NEX-7 are mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras that are equipped with an APS-C sensor. The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II doesn't start off as well as the rest, but offers surprisingly good dynamic range further up the ISO scale. The Sony A6000 remains one of the best Sony cameras, as well as one of the best mirrorless cameras, thanks to its still-great performance and sheer value for money. The Sony Alpha a6300’s descendants are the NEX-6 and a6000, two great cameras in their own right. Lisa Gade reviews the Sony Alpha a6000 interchangeable lens mirrorless digital camera. £550 (body only) by Sam Kieldsen. It’s also excellent value for money, and loved by many professional photographers as well as beginners and amateurs too. And while a few cameras have without doubt improved on this since then, it still feels extremely responsive – even by today’s standards. Visit our corporate site. (Image credit: Amy Davies/Digital Camera World), We check over 130 million products every day for the best prices, I've spent $3,900 on Cyber Monday (so far), GuruShots: winning photographs from the Artistic Still Life contest, Take your photos to the next level with Luminar AI’s Templates. Whilst the camera is ‘locked up’, you can’t enter any of the menus or playback mode, but you can still continue shooting (albeit slower), so it’s not all bad. Another option to get more shots out of your camera is a third party Sony a6000 battery grip. With 2014 being an age ago in camera terms, is the Sony A6000 still competitive in today's market – especially when it has been succeeded by no fewer than five newer models in the same product line? If you don’t have time to read the whole article, here are 4 of my favourite lenses: At under $500, it really is unbeatable, and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it to both beginners and more advanced photographers looking for an affordable compact camera with great performance. However, since it’s the same price as the other lens only bundle, I figured you may as well get it – I wrote a full review on the bundle here. As with all cameras, you’ll need to pair this one with some good glass to really get the best image quality out of the sensor. a6000 + 55-210mm f/4.5-6.3 | 1/320 at f/6.3 ISO 1600. Somewhere halfway up the Italian Apennine mountains, 1,500km or so through our walk to Rome, I fell over.Losing my footing on the scree I suddenly sprawled forward, the camera I was wearing swinging wildly and hitting the rocky ground with a definite crunch. Is the Sony a6000 still worth it in 2020? Many professional photographers use it for their work. Sony a6000 Review Summary. amzn_assoc_ad_mode = "manual"; 0.06 seconds for the a6000 to lock on to a subject is faster than many other mirrorless cameras, even here in 2020! Setting the autofocus point on this camera is a task that would be speedier with a touchscreen, but it’s not too bad if you set the right custom buttons. The Sony Alpha A6000 employs 100% electronic live-view composition and is equipped with a large viewfinder and a 3in screen which tilts vertically. On top of the camera are two dials: one for controlling the shooting mode (such as automatic, semi-automatic or manual), and another for altering the shutter speed or aperture, depending on the mode you’re shooting in. The A6300 is a well-rounded camera with a good specification, and delivers great performance in a range of situations. Old as it is, the Sony A6000 shows that many of the most important things we look for in a camera haven’t changed. If you’re someone who wants to shoot in JPEG to minimise any time spent editing your photos, I think you’ll be very happy with the images out of this camera. 26 June 2014 / 15:03BST. You don’t get 4K video, the design and displays are now looking a bit dated, and the high ISO image quality isn’t quite up there with the best of its rivals today, but otherwise this is still a great, great camera. Its images are very sharp, with beautifully saturated colours. We chose the Canon EOS M50, which also has a 24-megapixel APS-C sensor and a viewfinder, as does the under-rated Fujifilm X-T100. Check out the video below which illustrates how well this function works, and how you can override the camera’s face detection on the fly so you have complete control of the AF point. England and Wales company registration number 2008885. This impressive compact camera features a 24.3 MP APS-C CMOS sensor, BIONZ X image processor, 3-inch LED screen and 11fps continuous shooting, packed in to a lightweight body. Peak Design Sling 5L is a great size for camera bag for a6000 owners with 2 zooms and a small prime lens. You can then use the directional keys to move around the screen. Final word – I still can’t believe you can get so much camera for so little money – it’s without a doubt the best mirrorless camera under $500, and a camera I’d happily recommend to my friends who want the biggest bang for their buck here in 2020. From switching on the a6000 to being ready to shoot, the wait is no longer than any DSLR costing 10x the price. Finally, we come to the strongest draw card – the Sony a6000 price! As soon as a subject enters your scene, the camera uses some kind of voodoo magic to find its face immediately, then lock on to it with incredible precision! Review Sony A6000 ~ Mirrorless Terbaik untuk Pemula Video Cinematic. (Budget still too tight? By Much like the auto focus for photos, the AF for video was similarly impressive. The Sony A6000 is a very competent APS-C mirrorless camera with an excellent built-in electronic viewfinder (EVF). We also chose the Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II. I thought it would also be very apparent to me that I was using a camera released several years ago when writing this review. Get a cup of tea as this is a long one ;-) Let’s jump right in! However, while we consider it one of the best cameras for beginners because of its price, it’s actually far more powerful than these. However, I honestly thought I was shooting with a very modern camera. For those budding movie makers out there, the Sony A6000 comes equipped with Full HD video recording, which is available at either 60p or 24p. It has plenty of controls available, and, like other Sony cameras, pretty much all of them are customisable to help you adjust the camera to suit the way you take photos. To confuse matters even more, Sony decided to release the a6500 soon after the a6300. Image quality was great, although I must say, not quite on par with the Fujifilm X cameras I’ve used in the past. Check out the lenses I recommend for the a6000 later on in this review for some much better options. I spent most of my time shooting in RAW so I could test the full abilities of the files out of the a6000, and I must say that I was pleasantly surprised. To make things quicker, set Focus Area to Flexible Spot. If it gets the focus point you had in mind wrong, you just need to release the shutter button, then try again – I found that 9 times out of 10 the camera was able to guess correctly what I was trying to focus on if it got it wrong the first time. Hopefully, this in-depth review of the world’s best-selling mirrorless camera will make things a little clearer. Whilst I found the power zoom convenient and fun to use, shooting with a prime lens such as the Sony 85mm f/1.8 FE really brought the image quality up to professional levels. Both cameras still offer that incredible 24MP sensor and 11 fps continuous shooting in a compact mirrorless body. As you can see, if you take the time to set up the face registration feature, it’s a hugely effective way of allowing the camera to do all the hard work ‘picking out’ the correct faces from the crowd. One of the huge benefits of buying a slightly older camera is being able to take advantage of massively reduced prices. If I had to single it down to one factor that added the most enjoyment of shooting with the a6000, that would have to be its incredible auto focus… so let’s look closer at this now. The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II also does well up to ISO 800, but then its resolution starts to fall away (due to its smaller sensor). ISO range:  100 to 25,600 The Sony A6000 remains one of the best Sony cameras, as well as one of the best mirrorless cameras, thanks to its still-great performance and sheer value for money. Whilst I did find the power zoom fun and loved how compact it made the overall camera, there are much better Sony a6000 lenses, and I’d prefer to put the money saving towards one of these. I also liked the way that you couldn’t ‘bump’ your settings by mistake when carrying the camera, since the dials wouldn’t budge unless you twisted them yourself. From here, you simply need to press the button in the centre of the scrolling dial on the back of the camera to bring up the focus point selection option. Canon 7D Mark II vs Sony a6000 - Digital Camera Output Comparison. Whilst I don’t usually recommend cameras based solely on their price, it’s hard to ignore just how much functionality you’re getting from the a6000 for such a bargain price. The rotating wheel on the back of the a6000 is reminiscent of Canon DSLRs, and provides fast and easy access to a range of options within the camera’s menu. All three generations are an upper mid-range option for those willing to spend a … The answer is a definitive yes. Follow @samkieldsen. The best mirrorless camera in 2020 for beginners, vloggers, enthusiasts and pros. Can a camera launched back in 2014 and superseded by no fewer than five new models still be competitive? Dimensions:  120 x 66.9 x 45.1mm Sony A6000 review. Battery life isn’t bad for a mirrorless camera, but it’s still worth buying a spare battery if you travel or go on longer outings. The pricier Sony Alpha A6000 recently displayed a stunning turn of speed, but we can forgive the entry-level A5000 for being slower. Unlike the Sony a6300 and a6500, the a6000 doesn’t offer silent shooting, meaning that using burst mode is a bit like shooting with a muffled machine gun! We pick the best mirrorless cameras to buy today Typically, the more expensive a camera gets, the more expensive become its peripherals, so it’s refreshing to be able to take advantage of bargain prices with the a6000 add-ons. Sony's new system camera may be tiny – but it packs a big photographic punch . Although it may seem odd to add something to your a6000 which makes the compact form factor much bulkier, a battery grip can make it much more comfortable to hold for long periods, especially if you use longer lenses. Here’s my pick of the bunch. Yes, definitely! Although it’s not a touchscreen, the screen tilts, which is useful for shooting from some awkward angles, or for shielding the screen from glare. Seeing a Sony a6000 review on a site like Shotkit may come as a surprise to some of you, especially here in 2020. amzn_assoc_ad_type = "smart"; I also liked the ability to shoot videos in manual mode, but still being able to select Auto-ISO. Even by current standards, the A6000 is a great performer. Startup time on cheaper cameras is usually around one second, and can be a huge annoyance over a day’s shoot – not so with the Sony. Upon launch it competed with midrange cameras, though today its low price point makes it an option for those seeking an entry-level body. Overall, we can characterise the Sony A6000 as offering very good all-round performance, especially resolution, at low ISO settings up to ISO 400-800, but at higher ISO settings its performance drops off more markedly than its rivals'. Sony Alpha 6400 | APS-C Mirrorless Camera with Sony 16-50 mm f/3.5-5.6 Power Zoom Lens ( Fast 0.02s Autofocus 24.2 Megapixels, 4K Movie Recording, Flip Screen for Vlogging ) 4.8 out of 5 stars 278 £878.87 £ 878 . Sony Alpha A6000 viewfinder and screen. Its 24-megapixel sensor is as competitive today as it was when this camera was launched. This is also good for video shooters. You can compare the specs with newer models all you want, but the only real way I was going to give you an honest recommendation was to shoot solidly with this camera for a month… so that’s what I did! You will receive a verification email shortly. The Sony a6000 has a cute pop-up flash which you can use in a pinch when the light becomes really low, but I’d still prefer to crank the ISO up higher for a noisier image over the crappy deer-in-headlights look produced by these small on-camera flashes! We've pictured the Sony A6000 with the Zeiss 16-70mm f/4 lens, but the A6000 will usually be bundled with the smaller, cheaper (and, alas, inferior) Sony 16-50mm power zoom 'pancake' lens. UPDATE: since writing this review I came across a Sony a6000 bundle which includes the two lenses above, a memory card, mini travel tripod, filters, a bag… basically a whole heap of accessories that you may or may not need!! I don’t believe so, unless perhaps you’re a video shooter. Watching the focus points track a subject like some kind of futuristic missile lock-on is incredible, and you forget that you’re using technology that should be considered ‘old’ in the 4 years since this camera’s release. It’s true that the A6000’s specs now look distinctly old hat compared to what’s come along since, but only in a couple of key areas. Examining images at 100% from around ISO 1,600 upwards, you will find areas of the image that have a painterly effect, but the overall effect is good. The Sony A6000 has a built in electronic viewfinder, where many of its rivals still don't. Digital Camera World is part of Future plc, an international media group and leading digital publisher. Viewfinder:  Electronic viewfinder, 0.39 inches, 1,440,000 dots Perhaps the perfect all-round lens for this camera is the Zeiss 16-70mm f/4 optic, but that comes with a £799 price tag – quite a bit more than the camera itself. Something I found a little unusual was the LCD screen, which has a 16:9 ratio, more suited for video playback – when viewing standard 3:2 stills, you’re left with black bars on either side of the frame. I wouldn’t normally use an AF-A mode on any of my other cameras, since I like to focus and recompose, and this is usually ineffective with AF-A. When I find time, I’ll upload some more so you can have a better understanding as to what’s capable with this incredible little camera. © Sony has kept it on sale year after year, and at steadily falling prices. It looks great in all 3 colour options, and is designed with lots of features you never even knew you needed – I love the small organisation options inside the pockets in particular. There’s a lot to be said for an uncluttered camera interface, much like an uncluttered desk – unfortunately, Sony never seems to get this quite right. The A6000 is equipped with a 24-megapixel APS-C sensor, which was state of the art when this camera was launched back in 2014 and only a couple of APS-C cameras improve on this even now. Shutter speeds:  1/4000-30sec plus Bulb However, is the a6500 worth three times the price of the a6000? When working out what to put in our Sony a6000 review a memory popped up. Mark Condon is a British wedding photographer based in Australia and the founder of Shotkit. Every single shot, whether candid or fast-action, is supposed to benefit from the 24.3-Megapixel detail … You can check out DP Review’s highly technical analysis of dynamic range performance here if you need some bedtime reading, but take it from me, the Sony’s files offer from an APS-C sensor. 2 years after the release of the a6000, the a6300 hits the scene, touting a ‘newly developed image sensor’, better viewfinder, 4k video recording, more AF points and a more rugged body. It’s possible to pull back detail from shadowed areas where you thought it was lost amzn_assoc_placement = "adunit0"; You can also buy it body only, giving yourself the freedom to choose from the large range of different E-mount lenses now available. The Sony Alpha A6000 with 15-50mm lens is said to allow users to test their limits of creativity with a premium mirrorless DSLR focused on speed. In practice, this means that with Automatic AF (AF-A) engaged, I could lock focus on to one of my children when he was standing still, then as soon as he turned and ran, the camera would switch to continuous AF mode to capture him in movement (then return to AF-A). My preference after testing a few lenses would be to buy it ‘body only’, saving an additional 150-ish bucks over buying it with the 16-50mm power zoom. The A6000 focuses super-fast and makes great-looking images in just about any light. I found operation of the camera far simpler than the mess of icons suggested! The 24MP Exmor HD CMOS sensor with Bionz X processor ensures JPEGs are sharp, vivid and contrasty, but not overly so. Once muscle memory had kicked in and I was able to find the buttons to change settings without having to glance at the back of the camera, I was able to concentrate fully on my scene. Not only does it track faces even faster than a human eye, but you can also set it to memorize up to 8 faces so that the camera tracks them in an order you choose. It’s only natural for photographers to want the latest camera gear. Shoot up to 47 JPEGS, 22 RAWS, or 21 simultaneous JPEG + RAWS before the buffer slows. Its autofocus system is …
2020 sony a6000 review