It is important to fully inform your doctor about the herbal, vitamins, mineral or any other supplements you are taking before any kind of surgery or medical procedure. So I'd picked the last nettles (Urtica dioica) in seed a couple weeks ago and hung them up to dry. As far as I know you can't buy them in Europe, which is why I'm so detailed in my here's how you pick your own -blogpost. Back in the 1800s dishonest horse peddlers in Germany, Hungary and Ireland (and probably other places) used to give 1-2 handsful of nettle seed a day to horses for about 2 weeks before they took them to market. Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances. http://www.henriettes-herb.com - Copyright 1995–2020 Henriette Kress. Inhaling them is no problem, but after you've been rubbing for a while you notice that you get a layer of dust on your face, and that dust itches. Res. It has been used as an herbal remedy for thousands of years. I pick them green. David Winston uses nettle seed for all sorts of kidney trouble. Available for Android and iOS devices. References: Safarinejad MR. Urtica dioica for treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia: prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover study. Freeze-dried nettle has been evaluated for allergic rhinitis; in a double-blind trial, 600 mg of freeze-dried nettle leaf was more effective than placebo in controlling symptoms.91 Effects may be due to immunomodulatory or anti-inflammatory actions.14, 18, 92, 93, 94 Other immune effects have been described following in vitro studies, including a cellular response greater than that evoked by Echinacea tincture.95 Beluga sturgeon fed nettles showed increased neutrophil and red blood cell counts, as well as increased hemoglobin and hematocrit values.96, Dosages of 600 mg of freeze-dried nettle leaf have been used in a clinical trial for allergic rhinitis.91 Clinical trials for BPH have used aqueous extracts of U. dioica root in dosages of 360 mg daily over 6 months35 and methanol root extract in dosages of 600 to 1,200 mg daily for 6 to 9 weeks.2, Avoid use. are there microscopic bugs on the nettle leaves or was that guy who told me drunk? However, clinical trials are limited. Kids usually get 1/4 to 1/3 of the adult dose. However, some evidence suggests that certain nettle extracts do exhibit efficacy in reducing symptoms of BPH, as measured by International Prostate Symptom Score (IPSS).2, 9, 32, 33, Improved IPSS scores have been demonstrated in limited placebo-controlled, randomized clinical studies.35, 36, 37 Three clinical studies examined nettle extracts over 8 weeks,37 1 year,36 and 6 months35 in population sizes of 100, 246, and 558 participants, respectively. Nettles, I haven’t really seen any difference in the different types. Doctors can also adjust the dosage, assess potential side effects, and determine if the supplement increases any health risks. Among the conditions stinging nettles are purported to treat are: 1. The horses got shiny pelts and springy steps. Bye, Omar. Thanks for this wonderful article on Nettle Seed. I'm taking them in conjunction with minerals, appropriate diet and other herbs of course. I have noticed that youdo not mention taking the seed as an infusion. if wanted. The Nettle Herb Remedy. I think I will have to get gloves that go up to my elbow. Applications. Lines and paragraphs break automatically. Medieval herbals tell of nettle seeds' use for frostbite. Talk with your healthcare provider before using this product if you are taking lithium. I've only ever picked the long green hanging strands and dried them, haven't bothered with ripe seed at all. Last season I picked some seed and dried them, and tried them once but not in yogurt, possibily they stayed on the glass. You should talk with your health care provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this product. 2. can nettle seed be safely used in conjunction with THYROID MEDICATION? Nettle Seed Honey. If you did that would be terrific. I tried a few bites of that salad (no mention anywhere in that recipe of having to crush the nettles, boil them, or otherwise get rid of the sting). Nettle seed can lessen all of these symptoms, and sometimes eliminate them completely. Stinging nettle is usually available in the following forms: Tea; Capsules (leaf or root extract) Tinctures (extract dissolved in alcohol) Loose leaves; Dried roots; Cream or gel (for arthritis and pain) If collected and processed carefully, wild stinging nettle can also be gathered and cooked into many recipes. -Henriette 22Sep06. Anemia 6. I know, 'cos I made a nettle salad back when I was 16, in the days when I trusted recipes in herb books rather more than I do now. THYROID GLAND For an under active thyroid gland means that it needs to be fed natural iodine. “What part of nettles do you use to root the seed or the leaf and who prepared and the dosage?” In the Nettles, the roots and the leaf are the most commonly used. While I haven't used it myself, the person I gave it to bought all I had and has already solicited me to get some more this year. The dose for an adult (about 70 kg) is from a pinch to a tablespoon. -thanks. For children, pregnant women, or those not wanting to consume alcohol, it can be poured into a hot liquid like tea to evaporate the alcohol before consuming. The not quite formic acid is still in those hairs, and the hairs are still whole, even after you've dried the herb. The current therapy here is methylphenidate or dexamphetamine, stimulants. 4. I don't look at the color of the seeds themselves - when they're heavy enough to hang down they're ready to pick. Mix some dried nettle seeds with good quality salt, experiment to find your favorite proportions, 1 part salt to 3-5 parts nettle works well or 1 part salt to one part nettle if you prefer. If you’re still available to email it, I’d very much appreciate it! I don’t have much access to evidence based research articles anymore since all the engines and databases seem to cost $$$ if your not in school. Nettles continue to itch until they're either boiled (which breaks the hollow hairs) or dried and rubbed through a sieve (which also breaks the hairs). Here's the title: "Chemical Composition and Immuno-Modulatory Effects of Urtica dioica L. (Stinging Nettle) Extracts". The hairs of nettles break easily, and when they do they get very sharp edges. When you rub nettle seed (and some green leaf) through a sieve some of the itchy hairs go as dust into the air. This doesn’t mean it can bring someone whose kidneys are down to 4% of normal function back to 100%, but it has helped keep people off dialysis and indeed gotten people off dialysis. Compared to many other seeds, nettle seeds are soft and could be eaten just like that but are better mixed in for example smoothies, yogurt and porridge. This information relates to an herbal, vitamin, mineral or other dietary supplement. I am very interested in nettle seed and have discovered that Rutland Biodynamics sell both the tincture and loose seeds. Avoid use. The juice is purported to stimulate hair growth when applied to the scalp. Nettle seeds are adaptogens. And that's just a tablespoon of nettle seed. Thank you. Diuretic– increases flow of urine and kidney filtrati… An effect on enzyme activity, including the conversion of testosterone to estrogens and weak inhibition of 5 alpha-reductase and aromatase, has been demonstrated in vitro.2, 9, 32 Anti-inflammatory effects have also been noted32; therefore, the Complete German Commission E Monographs support use in urinary tract inflammation and in the prevention and treatment of kidney gravel.3, Animal studies have been conducted to evaluate the effect of U. dioica extracts in BPH; however, the availability of more recent clinical trial data makes these studies less important.2, 9, 32, 33 In vitro and animal studies have examined a potential role for nettle extract in prostate cancer, suggesting inhibition of adenosine deaminase as a further mechanism of action.32, 34, Most trials have been of open-label design, and few high-quality clinical trials using U. dioica alone compared with standard therapy have been conducted. There are no recommendations for correct dosage of stinging nettle for increasing testosterone. Or try season your soup with nettle seeds by adding them on the top. (wileyonlinelibrary.com) DOI: 10.1002/ptr.5836 Lemmesee if I can get a pic of that here... yep: While the leaves and roots are known by many, fewer people know that the seeds may be even more powerful. One of its medical applications is its efficacy in curing hypothyroidism hyperthyroidism both. This brings up a discussion about using the whole herb versus certain parts of the herb.
2020 nettle seeds thyroid dosage