A mango seems like a bloody knife accident just waiting to happen; I mean, soft texture plus solid seed does not a simple slice make. you are sure to save the best part. This article has been viewed 1,187,551 times. It only requires four major cuts and then scoring the flesh to make slices or cubes. Before we begin we should know how to pick a good mango at the store. Here’s how: Cut a mango in half, set the bottom of each piece on the edge of a glass and apply … A knife with a serrated edge will work best for cutting a mango, but any sharp knife will do the job. By using our site, you agree to our. It just requires a bit of know-how—and a lot of practice. You will end up with three pieces: two halves of mango flesh, and the middle section that has the pit. To cut a mango, place it on a cutting board and hold it steady while you slice it into 3 pieces. Hold on to the top or sides of the mango and cut thin slices away from your hand. Thank you to the author! Pro Tip: If you want thin strips of mango, just keep working the peeler -- peeling off the fruit in strips.Then chop up them up for mango sauces.Otherwise.... You'll notice the mango is roughly oval shaped. Take one half of your mango and cut lines vertically through the fruit side of the half without cutting … 2 Make lengthwise and crosswise cuts in the mango at the same time make sure you do not cut through it. This article has been viewed 1,187,551 times. Work around the curve of the stone to cut the cheeks off. For the hedgehog technique, put the mango half, skin side down, onto a chopping board and use the tip of a knife to cut a criss-cross pattern into the flesh. First Side Mango Cut. Invert the scored mango to expose the cubes. The Drinking Glass Method. Very neat layout. To make thin mango slices, use a sharp knife to vertically cut each half of the fruit from … ", http://www.bhg.com/recipes/how-to/cooking-basics/how-to-wash-fruits-and-vegetables/, http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_cut_a_mango/, http://startcooking.com/how-to-cut-a-mango, http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2011/06/mango-frozen-yogurt/, consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow, The fattest two edges of the mango are called the “cheeks.”. The following guide is my preferred method to yield the most flesh from a mango. 2. Our passion is cooking, traveling and photography. If you use the curve of the blade, you can easily cut mango squares with just a slice. Once the mango feels slimy, you’ll know you’ve reached the sweet part. ", "Very clear instructions, easy to follow, and I love the way you showed us more than one method. If a cleaner edge is desired, use a paring knife to slice them off at the base, near the skin. Use the vegetable peeler to remove the skin off the mango just as you would to take the skin off a cucumber. From the flesh side and being careful not to cut through the skin, cut the flesh in a square, diced pattern down to the skin. From there, apply even, sturdy pressure to both handles as you force the blades down. Next time for sure I'll be using this method! Mangoes usually grow in warm or tropical areas, and the climate affects their growth. Mangoes need plenty of sunshine and water. ", "It was helpful to learn how to hold it while peeling. Your email address will not be published. Finally, take the center piece of the mango and cut around the pit with the knife before peeling off the remaining skin. Press the skin upwards. Eat a nice mango, remove as much flesh from the seed as possible, and then let it dry for a day or two. Use a Y-shaped vegetable peeler for the easiest tool to skin a mango. I love using mango in a variety of different ways. If your knife hits friction while cutting … It helps to understand the basic shape of the pit so you can most easily cut around it. How do you cut mango – Instructions. How to cut a mango with a knife? Once you're finished, press the skin-side of the mango up so the squares you scored poke out. Approved. Then if you mangle the rest of it a bit trying to get it off the seed, no big deal! ", "It helped me with knowing about the pit, how it is shaped, and how to cut around it. Lightly press the mango to see if it is ripe. They then rip the tip off the mango, and suck the pulp and juice straight from the top of the fruit. The hedgehog method seemed to be the safest method. ", "It was too late for this time, I already made a slimy mess. More ripe fruits will have yellow/red color all around, but of course you can get one with some green and let it sit for a few days. Egg Bacon Pastrami on English Muffin Breakfast Sandwich, Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe for Super Bowl Party. There are a couple of methods for cutting mangoes that will allow you to enjoy this delicious fruit. ", presentable mango salads and desserts. All tip submissions are carefully reviewed before being published. Makes it much easier to remove the fruit. It is too old if it's very soft and/or you can see brown spots. While the mango fruit is commonly sliced with a sharp knife before serving, it is possible to eat a mango without cutting it at all. To create this article, 53 people, some anonymous, worked to edit and improve it over time. After cutting the sides of the mango off, use a small, sharp knife to score the mango flesh in both directions. 2 Make lengthwise and crosswise cuts in the mango at the same time make sure you do not cut through it. Then, use the knife to cut the squares away from the skin. The Mango Knife is ideal for cutting up mango after you've got it off the pit, as well. If the mango is ripe enough, the cubes will easily peel off the skin. By using this service, some information may be shared with YouTube. Hardly any bites! On the other hand, if you pick a mango that is too hard you won’t be able to enjoy the full taste of it, and it will be hard to cut. You will end up with two halves and a middle section with the pit intact. (Mango has a large pit.) To create this article, 53 people, some anonymous, worked to edit and improve it over time. Make sure not to cut through the skin. Great website! A lot of help and information. Use a small paring knife (or mango tool) to cut away the mango from the skin. Step 1: Score the mango. The videos of each step were, "I have really mangled mangoes trying to cut them. Our favorite way to peel a mango is actually with a drinking glass (yep, really). You just have to remember when you bought it, as whole mangos usually last about five days in the refrigerator. If you get a fruit that is too soft, it will get messy and hard to cut. Use a sharp knife to cut the mango down one side, just to the right (or left, if you're left-handed) of the center. Mangos are ripe when they have a very strong smell to them. How can I grow a plant with the mango pit? Molly Watson. Set your mango on its side on a cutting board, and with a sharp knife (dull knives are dangerous! You want to cut as close to the skin as possible, without cutting through the skin. As with learning how to cut an avocado, learning how to cut a mango requires managing a thick, inedible pit, so you want a good knife that is easy to maneuver. You do not need to apply much pressure when peeling the skin. Using a knife cut the left and right sides off of the mango. % of people told us that this article helped them. After you are done you will have two sides and the middle part where the pit is. Into slices. Thank you. To germinate the mango seed, you could just put the whole thing in a warm, moist place and wait for it to sprout. We know ads can be annoying, but they’re what allow us to make all of wikiHow available for free. Many thanks for the easy-to-follow directions! wikiHow is a “wiki,” similar to Wikipedia, which means that many of our articles are co-written by multiple authors. Carefully cut all the way to the peel, but not through it. A video has emerged claiming to show the 'correct' way to open a mango with one slice of a knife. Hold the mango under cool running tap water, and gently rub it with your hands as you rinse it. To remove it, stand the mango upright on a cutting board so that the stem end is facing up. This is an efficient way to cut mangoes, especially if you have to cut a … Then, take the end pieces and score the fresh side of them with a knife so it looks like a grid. ", "My mom and I were just trying to eat a mango. With a Knife. 2. So, to cut the flesh off the mango you need to first pit the fruit. ", "I didn't know how to cut one up, and made a big mess. Don’t worry if you don’t get it all the way to the skin as you can go back with a spoon and peel away all the remaining flesh. You can cut mango with a glass, cup or you can use a mango splitter sold at many retail stores, but  This guide is focusing on how to cut a mango with a knife which simple and you don’t have to purchase any additional kitchen gadgets. After you are done you will have two sides and the middle part where the pit is. Using A Peeler. Your email address will not be published. Next with a sharp knife, cut down each side of the mango using the seed as a guide for a close cut. With a small paring knife, carefully slice half of the mango off of the pit while aiming your knife towards the center of the mango. Slice off the … Of course, there are many ways you can cut a mango. References Use the vegetable peeler to remove slices of mango skin until the skin is almost gone. Cut the second cheek from the other side of the mango and repeat the process. ", excellent, easier to understand the directions when we can see what and how to do it. Continue to turn the mango as necessary as you peel every edge. Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered. When you cut the sides off, you should feel the seed with the edge of your knife… Hold the mango so it is standing up on the cutting board. The diced flesh will cling to the skin. 3. Use caution; your hands may become very slippery. Leaving a small space on the left and right sides of the stem, use a chef's knife to cut off the sides of the mango. I'm going to show her this! ", detail. Starting from the top of the mango, cut down the mango, angling slightly around the pit, to remove the cheeks. This is where you’re going to get the bulk of your cut mango pieces. The first way we’re going to peel a mango is using a peeler. Please help us continue to provide you with our trusted how-to guides and videos for free by whitelisting wikiHow on your ad blocker. ", "I've never bought a mango before; this article told me how to chose a ripe one and cut it. ", task like getting into a mango without most of it getting in the trash. wikiHow is a “wiki,” similar to Wikipedia, which means that many of our articles are co-written by multiple authors. How to Cut a Mango. ", shapes. It is very easy to follow and helpful. Mango skin is edible and packed with nutrients like vitamins, fiber and antioxidants. ", "I thought it was a great presentation, clear and easy to follow. By slicing off the fleshy parts first, "Told us a little about picking a ripe mango. Now stand your mango on its base and face the pointier portion towards you. Tip: I use this same technique to cut … Do this to both ‘cheeks’ using the knife and then a spoon to gather as much flesh as possible from the skin. Also, we finally know how to cut a mango. 1 Cut the mango along the sides of the pit. Turn your mango 180 degrees and hold the top while you slice the other half off of the pit. thanky ou! They will also "give" a little when gently squeezed. Step 1: Cut around the pit. Makes it easy to read and follow along. We are glad to see you here! ", "It helped me and scoring the mango was fun.". Simply make two parallel cuts about 1cm apart at the top of the fruit, and run your knife through these cuts to the bottom. This is Arela and Marcin and we would like to welcome you on our food blog. There is also a big pit in the middle of the mango that is difficult to cut around. Peel the mango using a paring knife or potato peeler. A mango has one long, flat seed in the center of the fruit. Cut a grid. You will end up with three pieces: two halves with lots of mango flesh on them, and the middle section that has the pit. Stand the fruit upright (bottom stem-side down)—it should stand up on a flat bottom. The pit of a mango is in the center and it's typically flat with an oblong shape. Repeat the same thing on the other side of the mango. Once you learn how to work around the seed, the rest is easy. Mango smoothies are a perfect example, I also love using mango in a variety of delicious and healthy salads. 3. Required fields are marked *. About half of the world's mangoes grow in India, and second is China, proving that a zone with hot weather will be the best place to grow a mango. A slightly larger mango … Cut the small square mango pieces of the peel into a bowl and enjoy your mango. (Mango has a large pit.) It's as if you're cutting the mango in half, but just off-center. The fattest two edges of the mango are called the “cheeks,” and these are the two edges you are cutting. [1] X Research source You may also use a clean vegetable brush to scrub the surface of the mango, but this isn’t necessary since you will not be eating the skin. But learning how to cut a mango doesn't have to be a scene from a horror film. Then cut off all the seedlings except for one. Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 1,187,551 times. Wash the mango. We use cookies to make wikiHow great. Adulting 101: The credit building course from wikiHow. It should not be too firm, and should be slightly soft. When cutting the mango, you want a to preserve as much of the cheeks as possible, since this is the part you eat. With the mango lying on the cutting board skin-down, gently yet firmly cut the mango away from the skin. If the fruit feels hard to the touch, let it ripen on the counter for a few days before cutting into it. The pit is oblong and flat, somewhat like a disc. The first step to cutting the mango is to cut off one of the sides. 1. Make sure the mango is ripe. I know for some of us cutting a mango might seem like a very easy task but for some, this might be a bit more challenging than we think. Family friendly day to day recipes and cooking activities. It was like having a real person standing next to me explaining every, "I particularly liked the hedgehog method of folding back the "cheek" after slicing the fruit into cube, "Very detailed. A ripe, average sized mango will yield about a cup of fruit. wikiHow is where trusted research and expert knowledge come together. How far ahead of serving can I slice a mango? The benefit of using a … How to Cut a Mango. When selecting a mango, please make sure you get a little bit of a squeeze, it should be a bit soft. Try not to cut through the skin on the other side as you're scoring the mango. 2. Always use a clean knife and cutting board to cut a mango.Sanitize your hands, work area, utensils and cutting board before handling or cutting any fruits or vegetables, especially if you’ve handled any type of meat or seafood. To cut using a mango slicer, simply place the mango (stem-side down) in the orange tray (which looks like a bird’s beak) and fit the open whole of the slicer over the top-most point. Simple statements. If you’ve ever cubed an avocado, this step will be familiar: Using a paring knife, cut a grid pattern on each mango half, being sure not to cut through the skin. They can last up to five days in the fridge while sliced/ripened and if they're already sliced they can last up to six months in the freezer, well packaged in an airtight container. As always, be sure to exercise caution when handling a knife to avoid injury. All you need is a sharp knife (chefs knife is recommended, but a paring knife will work) and a large spoon. Note that you are NOT cutting the skin away from the mango. wikiHow marks an article as reader-approved once it receives enough positive feedback. Take a sharp knife and cut the mango parallel to the pit leaving a center slice around the pit. Then repeat with the other side. ), trim off both stem ends. When your knife cannot scrape any more mango flesh off, this means you have reached the pit. Thank you! Like always you are invited to share your opinion with us, so feel free to drop us a comment below. Using your sharp knife, slice the mango pieces from the skin. This article received 20 testimonials and 92% of readers who voted found it helpful, earning it our reader-approved status. If you really can’t stand to see another ad again, then please consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow. Many children around the globe squeeze and roll ripe mangoes between their fingers while the skin is still intact. Learn more... On first glance, a mango seems like it would be pretty simple to cut, but cutting mango can often leave you with a big, juicy mess. After watching and reading how to cut a mango, I have wonderfully, "In the Midwest, we don't often get "Southern" fruits, so we need help figuring out how to do a simple, "The step-by-step visual was fantastic! While eating mango skin is safe for most people, it's unnecessary. Though it may offer health benefits, it has an unpleasant taste, may preserve pesticide residues and contain compounds that may cause allergic reactions. Using a large sharp knife, cut alongside the wide part of the pit as close to it as possible from the top of the mango down one side of the pit. Thank you. How much does one mango yield? "I never could figure out a good way to cut a mango, and this article helped. How to cut a mango Use your knife to cut through the flesh, about 1cm (or half a finger-width) away from the center of the fruit to give you one ‘cheek’ Repeat on the other side of the mango. Set it upright with the fatter end on the cutting board. This short guide will show you how to cut a mango. Picture videos are, "It helped me because I didn't want to keep cutting my mangoes the same old way, I wanted to do it differently. Fortunately, mangos have thinner skins than avocados, so you simply peel them with a vegetable or Y-shaped peeler, instead of having to scoop the fruit out from the skin. Place the mango on a cutting board, stem facing away from your knife. You should end up with three pieces: two halves, and a middle section that includes the pit. Easiest way to skin a mango – turn mango up so pit is facing horitzontal with cutting board. 1 Cut the mango along the sides of the pit. Can mangoes be eaten with a little bit of the skin still on? Last Updated: November 17, 2020
2020 how to cut a mango with a knife