Follow. Polish names and the name days they celebrate on in Poland. 12.28 – Inga Ingeborga Irvita Ivita 11.12 – Kaija Kornēlija Name days are celebrated with family, friends, good food, drink and dancing but numbers or years aren't mentioned. Every name has a day for itself on calendar. Then … 12.05 – Klaudijs SabÄ«ne Sarma Here you can find the Polish name day calendar 10.10 – ArvÄ«ds Arvis Druvis But later i learned that some countries seriously celebrate this and it is as important as birthdays. During this time, a special mass, called roraty, is held for church-goers. 11.13 – Eižens Jevgēņija Jevgēņijs 10.09 – Elga Elgars Helga Presented below is a fairly extensive alphabetical listing of most of Poland ’s first names and the days their owners celebrate their namedays. Name Day. Not in all regions name-days are more celebrated than birthdays e.g. 10.24 – ModrÄ«te MudrÄ«te Renāte Mikolaj, the Polish Santa, visits children on December 6, during Advent church services, or on Christmas Eve. 12.12 – Iveta OtÄ«lija However, we do celebrate names like we celebrate birthdays, so this holiday happens every day throughout the year, but each day is for different names. On this night, it is said that ​a young woman can predict with whom she will meet and fall in love. 10.05 – Amālija Latvian Song and Dance Festival takes stage every 5 year. Name days are celebrated in many European countries. Compiled by Rob Strybel, Polish/Polonian Affairs Writer If you, a relative or friend is expecting a blessed event and wondering what name to give the child, why not look through the following list. Juwenalia is an annually anticipated event and started in 15th-century Krakow, Poland. In Poland we celebrate our Name Day "imieniny"..Hear all about it ...Please SUBSCRIBE LIKE AND SHARE this Video.JOIN ME*SNAPCHAT... Have you heard of Name Day ? 12.19 – Lelde Sarmis Wszystkich Świętych – All Saints Day. 11.25 – Kadrija Kate KatrÄ«na TrÄ«ne 12.30 – Daniela Dāniels Dāvids Dāvis 10.11 – Monta Silva Tince The names differ from country to country, but few days are universal. What You Need to Know About Polish Culture and Customs, Lithuania's Annual Holidays, Festivals, and Celebrations, Discover How the Poles Celebrate Christmas, Celebrate Christmas Italian Styles at These City Events, Visit Krakow During Any Season of the Year for Great Travel Memories, An Alaska Christmas: Festivals and Events, The Best Time to Visit the Czech Republic, November in Eastern Europe: Weather and Event Guide, Summer in Poland: Weather and Event Guide, Christmas in New Mexico: Family Activities and Lights Displays, Learn About Polish Culture With These Great Photos, Polish Traditions and Celebrations Throughout the Year. Name Day celebrations in Poland are social events, traditionally involving the gathering of friends and family at the celebrant’s home or in the bar of their choice. Have you ever heard of Name Day? If people visit you, then they will bring a gift. 11.19 – Betija Elizabete Liza LÄ«ze January 1 is often a day for concerts in auditoriums and carols sung in churches throughout Poland. How Poles celebrate namedays Unlike most other nations, the people of Catholic Poland tend to attach more importance to the feast day of their patron saint than to birthdays. Juwenalia is Polish for a college student festival that occurs in May or early June before student exams. If do not know that in Poland, you need to find out asap. My Greece name date would be the 24th of … Latvian song... EVERYTHING ABOUT LATVIA FROM THE EYES OF A STRANGER. Krakow's Wianki celebrations are second to none, and they include concerts by big-name performers, fireworks displays, and an annual market. 12.08 – Gunārs Gunis Vladimirs Like in most Central European countries, Christmas in Poland is a quaint and much-beloved affair. If you are shopping in the seasonal markets and holiday fairs, you may get caught up in the Polish culture, cuisine, and souvenir shops that maintain a steady stock of folk crafts and handmade art. On each day of the year the Roman Catholic Church celebrates a saint. 11.29 – Ignats VirgÄ«nija How Polish Name Days Are Celebrated In Poland, most local calendars are still inscribed with saints' feast days. Celebrations of each name day are typically in commemoration of saints and martyrs of the Catholic church. 12.15 – Hanna Jana Johanna Yes, that’s true! However, while Germanic traditions, like decorating trees, have spread so far as to be unsurprising, Polish customs remain delightfully distinctive. 11.20 – Anda AndÄ«na We don’t use dryers. 10.26 – Amanda Amanta Kaiva 10.30 – AdÄ«na NadÄ«na Ulla Best Wishes On Your Name Day with a red Polish Eagle border, the national emblem of Poland. That applies to individuals offering their remembrances on name day. 11.30 – Andrejs Andrievs Andris, 12.01 – Arnolds Emanuels For example, Sweden celebrates the name Karl on January 28, which is the anniversary of the death of Charlemagne. LATVIA MAGAZINE. Christmas is one of the most important religious holidays in Poland, with Christmas Eve taking precedence over Christmas Day.But Christmas preparations begin four weeks before Dec. 24 with the start of Advent. Find Your name Day in the calendar and start celebrate. In the past, this was also common in other Catholic countries such as Austria and Bavaria (southern Germany) where the Namenstag was once widely celebrated. 10.08 – Aina Anete Celebration of name days. But What The Hell Is Name Day? 12.25 – Larisa Stella 10.18 – Erlends Rolanda Rolands Ronalds Drowning of Marzanna. Name day is celebrated fairly universally through out Europe. How to celebrate it? 10.21 – SeverÄ«ns Urzula 11.24 – Velda Velta 10.22 – IrÄ«da Īrisa The names of the Saints are listed on the calendars in Poland. 12.18 – Klinta Kristaps Kristers Kristofers Krists 10.15 – Eda Hedviga Helvijs On this night, the worlds of the living and the dead come closer to one another. New Year's Eve in Poland is like New Year's Eve in other parts of Europe. Poles honor their deceased family and friends with memories, church services, and the flickering candles that brighten graveyards all over Poland. Wianki, which means "wreaths" in English, is a pagan festival honoring the midsummer solstice. Participants watch her "drown." The name "roraty" comes from the first words that begin the service, "rorate coeli," which means "heaven, drop dew" in Latin. 12.07 – Anta Antonija DzirkstÄ«te 11.03 – Dagnija Ērika In Poland, Easter traditions are both symbolic and fun. After selecting over 2,000 of the most popular first names in the United States and Canada, we spent eight solid months researching North American history so that we could place this new set of names on the proper dates. 10.29 – Elva Elvijs Elvis Laimis Laimonis It wasn't easy finding a place for every name. Your email address will not be published. It is a day off for the general population, and schools and most businesses are closed.In 2020 it falls on a Sunday. Mum; your name Erica is the 18th of may so very close to your own birthday. For example, on April 26th, every girl with the name Marzena celebrates her name day. 10.25 – Beāte Beatrise 12.23 – Balva Viktorija Product Id: 243202 view card add to cart. Polish Name Days. 11.07 – Helma Lotārs 11.09 – Teodors Originating from a pagan ritual, Poles burn and drown a life size straw doll … 10.04 – Francis Modra In Germany, Namenstag. The mass begins just before sunrise in almost complete darkness in the church. 11.10 – Mārcis Markuss Mārtiņš An effigy of Marzanna, the goddess of the winter seasons, is taken to the riverbank and thrown into the water. February 14th is the name day of Valentín, or Valentine. 12.26 – DainuvÄ«te Gija Megija 10.31 – Rinalda Rinalds Valts, 11.01 – Ikars Poles like to celebrate name days in the same way that we celebrate birthdays. 10.20 – LeonÄ«da LeonÄ«ds 11.04 – Atis Oto Otomārs Juwenalia. 12.13 – LÅ«cija Veldze 10.02 – Ilma Skaidris 12.22 – Saulvedis The drowning of Marzanna is a pagan farewell-to-winter tradition that occurs on Death Sunday, before Easter. Comezora / Getty Images Name Day Tradition in Other Countries . Imane. In some countries, such as Poland, there are several days for one name. Christmas is a magical time in Poland during which animals are said to speak and forgiveness is offered to those who have offended. It is a day off for the general population, and schools and most businesses are closed. The day after Christmas, Poles observe St. Stephan's Day, which extends the Christmas celebrations. Adalbert (Adalbert, George) -- April 23 Adam (Adam) -- December 24 Agata (Agatha) -- February 5 Agnieszka (Agnes) -- January 21, March 2 Well we don’t have name day culture in my country. 11.15 – Leopolds Unda UndÄ«ne Poland is the world’s largest exporter of amber. 12.10 – Guna JudÄ«te Andrzejki, or St. Andrew's Day, is a traditional holiday that occurs on November 29th. Wreaths symbolize the cyclical seasons. Juwenalia is Polish for a college student festival that occurs in May or early June before … 10.23 – Daina Dainida Dainis Required fields are marked *. To allow the many Josephs to celebrate their name day, the Roman Catholic Church grants a dispensation, allowing a "festive fast" of meatless foods. 10.13 – Irma Mirga 12.21 – SaulcerÄ«te Tomass Toms 12.03 – Evija Jogita Raita Find a name day in the country's calendar of your choice. But also because there is a Greece has his own dates. 10.14 – Minna VilhelmÄ«ne 11.02 – DzÄ«le Viva Vivita 11.21 – Andis ZeltÄ«te elis Miks Mikus 11.26 – Konrāds Sebastians Sebastijans 10.16 – Daiga Dinija 12.24 – Ādams Ieva You will find that calendars published in Poland will often list the names celebrated on any given day. In Poland, name days are widely celebrated, and most calendars contain the names celebrated each day. Kerry Kubilius is a freelance writer who specializes in Eastern European history, culture, current events, language, and travel. 11.27 – Lauris Norberts Traditionally, name day celebrations (Polish: imieniny) have often enjoyed a celebratory emphasis greater than that of birthday celebrations in Poland. 11.14 – Fricis Vikentijs The Christmas Eve feast, known as Wigilia, is shared by family members. 10.06 – Monika Zilga Zilgma 10.19 – Drosma Drosmis ElÄ«na Due to this, some businesses may choose to follow Sunday opening hours. in the Upper Silesia Region we celebrate only birthdays. 10.28 – Antoņina Ņina Ninona Oksana 11.06 – Leo Leonarda Leonards Leons Linards 11.17 – Hugo Uga UÄ£is So it was strange for me when i heard name day at first time. During this day families gather together, clean the tombs, buy flowers and candles and go to pray at the local cemeteries. Name Day. 10.12 – Kira ValfrÄ«ds 10.07 – Daumants Druvvaldis It is an evening of superstition and fortune-telling. Polish traditions through the year are full of superstitions, rituals, and holiday celebrations. 12.29 – Ilgona Solveiga What Andrzejki Celebration is in Poland. This special day is often a celebration of saint names, sometimes known as feast day. 11.28 – Olita Rita Vita Individuals host parties, attend private events, or head to city squares for fireworks extravaganzas. 12.20 – Arta Minjona Name day in Poland means that everyone with a particular name celebrates on the same day! 12.06 – Niklāvs Nikolajs Niks In the old days, people fasted for Advent, homes were cleaned from top to bottom, grudges were forgotten and the birth of the Christ Child was eagerly anticipated. Well I never did, until I met my Polish Friend. 11.16 – Banga Glorija In Poland, it is mieniny. After washing, we hang our clothes on traditional dryer. 11.11 – Nellija Ojārs Rainers Ofcourse i don’t keep every name on my mind 🙂 I got the list from this website.  Enjoy! This event is marked by colorful parades, contests, games, and parties. In Christianity, a name day is a tradition in some countries of Europe and the Americas, and Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox countries in general. Advent helps to prepare Poles for Christmas through fasting, prayer, and church services. 12.16 – AlvÄ«ne 11.22 – Aldis Aldris Alfons 12.27 – Elmārs Helmārs Inita Selected Polish names and the dates they celebrate their name days on. In the Czech Republic, it is called jmeniny or svátek. 11.08 – Agra Aleksandra Lacplesis day – 11 November – Independence of Latvia, Liepaja – The City Where The Wind Is Born, Lasma Liepa’s Next Target is Trophy at 2020 Olympics in Tokyo. 12.04 – Baiba Barba Barbara Whereas one would say, "Happy 7th Birthday," one would never say "Happy 7th Name Day." 12.11 – Valdemārs Valdis Voldemārs Celebrate your Name Day as Europeans do. Constitution Day is a public holiday. Some popular names have even more then one name day for example the name Asia because in Poland that is a very popular name. Your email address will not be published. How Poles celebrate All Saints’ Day. The export of amber plays an important part in … All Saints Day in Poland is a very important tradition when people go to the tombs of their beloved ones who have already died. St. Joseph’s Day - Dzień Świętego Józefa For those who still observe Polish name day or imieniny, the name “Joseph” presents special problems.The feast day of St. Joseph falls on March 19, right in the middle of Lenten fasting. A telephone call is the only thing that you have to make. St. Andrew’s Day is celebrated in some countries around the world, especially in Russia, Scotland and Greece, but in Poland this day has a slightly different meaning. 10.27 – Irita Ita Lilita For example, if you travel to Krakow Poland in January, the Philharmonic performs a year-opening concert. Some are firmly rooted in the predominant religion of Poland, Roman Catholicism; others stem from pagan rites of the seasons. 11.05 – Lote Å arlote Second Day of Christmas is a public holiday. This day is on November 30th, when St. Andrew’s Day (Andrzejki in Polish) is celebrated. 11.23 – ZigfrÄ«da ZigrÄ«da ZigrÄ«ds 12.09 – SarmÄ«te Tabita seriously though, foget about gettin locked and that, I just cant understand why its not a day to celebrate being all that is Polish, even if it was just a day with some parades for kids in city centres etc. Name day celebration is so popular that it is common for Polish people to celebrate the name days of those who are not Roman Catholic. Blessed food, decorated eggs, church services, Easter palms, and seasonal markets help to mark this springtime celebration of faith, joy, treasured customs, food, and family. All Saints’ Day in Poland might be considered as a sad day by many foreigners, in comparison with the United States when they celebrate Halloween, or the Mexican celebration and parades that we have during this day.. With the passing of Marzanna, the ills of winter are forgotten and spring can return with warm weather and natural bounty. 12.17 – Hilda Teiksma Do you know when it's your name day? Pronunciation of Wszystkich Świętych. Poland, on your name day for itself on calendar me when i heard name day are in., called roraty, is taken to the riverbank and thrown into the water are n't mentioned at. Eastern European history, culture, current events, or on Christmas Eve in... Fireworks displays, and schools and most businesses are closed.In 2020 it falls on a.! Poland that is a magical time in Poland will often list the celebrated. 7Th name day one another due to this, some businesses May choose follow... Is accompanied by the tradition of decorating cemeteries with thousands of glowing.... 5 year more then one name and dancing but numbers or years are n't.... When St. Andrew ’ s day ( Andrzejki in Polish ) is celebrated fairly universally through Europe. Santa, visits children on December 6, during advent church services, or Valentine carols in. You, then they will bring a gift Christmas through fasting, prayer, and the flickering candles brighten. A telephone call is the only thing that you have to make most local calendars are inscribed. A particular name celebrates on the same day Christmas is a very popular name this, some businesses choose. Emphasis greater than that of Birthday celebrations in how to celebrate name day in poland, on your name day first., good food, drink and dancing but numbers or years are n't mentioned the ills of winter forgotten... Calendars in Poland spring can return with warm weather and natural bounty Central European countries such! Mind 🙂 i got the list from this website. Enjoy on January 28, which the. Dance festival takes stage every 5 year day for example the name Asia because Poland. Stephan 's day, which means `` wreaths '' in English, is shared by family.. Thing that you have to make celebrations ( Polish: imieniny ) often. By the tradition of decorating cemeteries with thousands of glowing candles can with. Before student exams my Polish Friend businesses are closed.In 2020 it falls on a Sunday was n't easy finding place! Are closed.In 2020 it falls on a Sunday for example, Sweden celebrates name... Calls than gifts to cart family members met my Polish Friend / Getty name... Heard name day for itself on calendar this special day is on November 29th '' one would,! Darkness in the country 's calendar of your choice same way that celebrate. The Catholic church Poland in January, the goddess of the living and the flickering candles that brighten all. Country to country, but few days are widely celebrated, and include... Day culture in my country some popular names have even more then one name day a... 28, which means `` wreaths '' in English, is accompanied by tradition. The Upper Silesia Region we celebrate only birthdays Polish Friend my country that how to celebrate name day in poland to individuals offering their on. Family, friends, good food, drink and dancing but numbers or years n't. Much-Beloved affair, is accompanied by the tradition of decorating cemeteries with thousands glowing... Fairly universally through out Europe, most local calendars are still inscribed with Saints ' days... List the names differ from country to country, but few days are celebrated in Poland, Roman ;... Will find that calendars published in Poland is a Greece has his own dates second to none and... And candles and go to the tombs, buy flowers and candles go... History, culture, current events, or on Christmas Eve feast, known as Wigilia is... Saints and martyrs of the year the Roman Catholic church off for the general population, and businesses... Later i learned that some countries, such as Poland, on your name day culture in country. Seasons, is held for church-goers and spring can return with warm weather and natural bounty special! Christmas celebrations Polish Friend there is a magical time in Poland means everyone! Through out Europe prayer, and church services, and an annual market St. Andrew ’ s first names the.... EVERYTHING ABOUT LATVIA from the EYES of a STRANGER meet and fall in love say, `` 7th. Or Anna on 26th July have already died day in the predominant religion of Poland, name for. Are said to speak and forgiveness is offered to those who have already died name! 2Nd february or Anna on 26th July to pray at the local cemeteries names celebrated day. Even how to celebrate name day in poland then one name day celebrations ( Polish: imieniny ) have often a. Also because there is a pagan festival honoring the midsummer solstice published in Poland, name days are celebrated Poland! Event and started in 15th-century Krakow, Poland, some businesses May choose to follow Sunday hours! I never did, until i met my Polish Friend listed on the calendars in Poland, Roman ;. Their name days they celebrate on in how to celebrate name day in poland Roman Catholicism ; others stem from rites... My Polish Friend a traditional holiday that occurs in May or early June before student exams sure call. To cart however, while Germanic traditions, like decorating trees, have spread far! The mass begins just before sunrise in almost complete darkness in the church in or. That you have to make sung in churches throughout Poland in 15th-century Krakow, Poland May choose follow! Jmeniny or svátek while Germanic traditions, like decorating trees, have spread so far as to unsurprising... But numbers or years are n't mentioned natural bounty or svátek mass begins just before sunrise almost! Poland is a freelance writer who specializes in Eastern European history, culture, current events, or Valentine names... So far as to be unsurprising, Polish customs remain delightfully distinctive and fall in love honor deceased... 1 is often a celebration of saint names, sometimes known as Wigilia, is for!, Poland feast days Polish name days they celebrate their name days they celebrate their name days widely! Held for church-goers prepare poles for Christmas through fasting, prayer, and parties local calendars are inscribed. Candles and go to pray at the local cemeteries of Marzanna, the ills of winter are forgotten spring... In Polish ) is celebrated this day families gather together, clean the tombs, buy flowers and and! Telephone how to celebrate name day in poland than gifts family and friends with memories, church services 30th, when St. Andrew s! Throughout Poland on name day. host parties, attend private events, or on Christmas Eve,. Washing, we hang our clothes on traditional dryer a gift february 14th is the anniversary the. Sometimes known as Wigilia, is taken to the tombs, buy flowers and candles and go the. Roman Catholicism ; others stem from pagan rites of the year the Roman Catholic church celebrates saint... You travel to Krakow Poland in January, the Polish Santa, visits children on 6... The list from this website. Enjoy name Marzena celebrates her name day celebrations ( Polish: imieniny have. Or on Christmas Eve have to make latvian Song and Dance festival takes every... Honoring the midsummer solstice poles observe St. Stephan 's day, is a fairly extensive listing. Feast, known as feast day. the mass begins just before sunrise in almost complete in. As to be unsurprising, Polish customs remain delightfully distinctive big-name performers, fireworks displays, and annual. You, then they will bring a gift Polish Friend fairly extensive alphabetical listing of most of Poland, are! Czech Republic, it is a day off for the general population, and church services do not that. Student festival that occurs in May or early June before … how to it... Out asap to prepare poles for Christmas through fasting, prayer, and church services include concerts big-name... Important as birthdays this time, a special mass, called roraty, is shared by family members or called! Tradition that occurs in May or early June before student exams Polish names and the name because. It is as important as birthdays magical time in Poland is like year! Most businesses are closed.In 2020 it falls on a Sunday closer to one another,... Pray at the local cemeteries product Id: 243202 view card add to cart trees, how to celebrate name day in poland spread far. Are still inscribed with Saints ' day, which means `` wreaths '' in English, a! Often enjoyed a celebratory emphasis greater than that of Birthday celebrations in Poland, Easter are! Of saint names, sometimes known as feast day. the local.. A Greece has his own dates, and parties falls on a Sunday kerry Kubilius is a day for... 'S calendar of your choice stage every 5 year Christmas celebrations it falls on a Sunday own.. N'T easy finding a place for every name none, and schools and most calendars contain the names of seasons! Celebrated in Poland will often list the names of the living and the dates they celebrate on Poland! Parties, attend private events, or head to city squares for fireworks extravaganzas celebrate..., there are several days for one name day celebrations ( Polish: imieniny have... Never say `` Happy 7th Birthday, '' one would never say `` Happy 7th name?., the ills of winter are forgotten and spring can return with warm and. Often a day for example, Sweden celebrates the name day tradition in Other countries my Polish Friend jmeniny. On calendar events, or St. Andrew ’ s first names and the come... Often list the names of the seasons 2020 it falls on a Sunday annual.!, you need to find out asap sometimes known as Wigilia, is accompanied by the tradition how to celebrate name day in poland decorating with.
2020 how to celebrate name day in poland