You don’t have to spend a fortune either; good, inexpensive graphite fly rods and single-action reels are common. All you have to do is cast it out into the spots where bluegill are feeding and let it sit until you get a strike. Any bluegill bigger than your hand is admirable. If you haven’t caught a bluegill within 15 minutes after fishing a likely spot, move on — they probably aren’t there. Big bluegill on their beds are aggressive as they defend their territory, but they will … Another favorite is the Stayner Ducktail a fly initially designed to imitate perch fry. In this article, I will discuss some of the things I have learned over the years to catch larger bluegills and other panfish consistently. Many anglers may feel these hook sizes are too large for panfish, but a fish over ten inches will have little difficulty taking one of these flies, and that is what we are after…large panfish. In fact, panfish are often fished for with old fashioned cane rods and light tippet. 4. If you don’t know how to do that, use short, 6-inch strips of the line. Because small insects are a major part of the bluegill's diet, an artificial fly resembling these insects is usually irresistible. For these big bluegill, it's a good idea to use somewhat larger baits than you would for normal bluegill fishing. Try fly fishing for bluegill using a black, gray, or brown foam spider fly in areas near shoreline brush piles or vegetation. Strike detection can be a little tricky at first, but I will cover that later in the article. Television A simple spinning or fly-fishing outfit plus a few lures or common baits will help load the boat. Wilson designed his own line of Bully’s Bluegill Flies, which is another weighted sinker that works well. And when a few of them put this stress odor into the shallows, the whole group gets the message. So, bluegill fishing is all about small lures, small baits, small hooks and small bobbers and, when necessary, small weights to attach to very thin line. One of my most vivid and pleasant bluegill memories happened on a balmy spring morning on a small, Scotch-tinted winding bayou near Mobile, Alabama. This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged. A fish finder is a useful tool to help you locate the structure you are looking for as well as the fish themselves! Bluegills indeed, are the perfect fish for a beginning fly caster—they’re eager and they don’t demand accurate deliveries or delicate presentations. Bull bluegills don't require much equipment. Play the Sun. Advertising These fish don’t necessitate the use of fast action, heavy duty fly rods like pike or big trout. I use a countdown method based upon how fast the fly sinks and how deep I want it to get before imparting any retrieve. The Bream Killer: My version of the Ligon Bream Killer is tied slightly different from the original. You Have To Find Them Before You Can Catch Them. Wind can be a problem in the fall so you will need to use a heavier fly line during this season. Most bluegills are not shy about the food they eat. Presentation: Proper presentation is vital when fishing for larger fish. Small, barbless flies typically catch bluegill in the lip and are easy to remove from small mouths. Fluorocarbon sinks better allow flies to get down to the fish and it is nearly invisible in the water, which aids in duping big panfish. One downside to fishing larger flies is that you are likely to catch less fish. Think about structure and depth. I’m that way, and my old friend, Terry Wilson, is even more dedicated to these little scrappers. Again I concentrate on getting flies down as deep as possible to where these larger fish reside. By imitating a food source that both species eat you can double your chances of catching these fish by targeting both. Cart (0) The Bluegill Bug Shop. About Us How many 12” or larger panfish have you seen hanging on the wall of your local shop or bar? Tied on a size 8 Mustad 3366 hook, it will catch panfish of all sizes. You can go lighter if you know what you’re doing. Obviously, Mother Nature cannot replace such old fish overnight. Fly fishing Although you may think fly fishing is for trout, it is also one of the most effective, exciting ways to catch bluegill. Like me, Terry and Roxanne have fished in many waters for many species, but they never forgot those early thrills and the unique feel of bluegills swimming in rapid circles. Trophy panfish are some of the most challenging fish to catch in fresh water. This is not the case with larger fish. I pursue them during all four seasons with the same dedication I devote to fly fishing for big, selective trout. Choose the Road Less Traveled Leader design: Most of the time, I don’t pay much attention to my leader when fishing for panfish. While it is possible to catch large panfish during the middle of the day, I find they feed better during periods of low light. My favorite bluegill fly is a weighted black fur ant tied on number 12 or 14 wet fly hooks. Log in Sign up. Big panfish are not pushovers. Podcast Many big bluegills are caught on worms or crickets, but a fly rod is the most effective. The key is to retrieve it slowly. The exception is when I am targeting larger fish. During the spawn is when most anglers chase them, but this clan can be found in the shallows all summer. Hyperlinking Policy. 1. Those of us who have stuck with them through the years and experience have concentrated our efforts toward catching the biggest bluegills, and Illinois gives us plenty of places to try. Experience it! Once the spawn is over look for these fish in deeper water often adjacent to cover. Fluorocarbon v Monofilament: I usually stick with plain old … Please put some back! Large, barbed hooks tend to hook deeper and are more difficult to remove. - Concentrate your efforts where you are likely to find larger fish. Fly Fishing for Bluegill: Flies and Gear. Fly fishing for bluegills is the perfect sport for beginners and experts alike. My very first memorable catch on a fly rod was a bluegill--a BIG bluegill. I tend to use long leaders (12’ or longer) to avoid spooking fish. Home ... Big Bug Eyes Fly Tying Yarn. Tie them in a size six or larger to keep the small fish at bay. Nocturnal Tendencies. It’s a grand time and when it's on, it might be one of my favorite types of fly fishing. I use large, primarily subsurface patterns when going after big fish. Try different fly fishing techniques for bluegill until you unlock the bite code. Good places to fish: Bluegill can be found in all 17 major river basins of North Carolina, although they are absent from cold mountain streams. Large male fish are essential to maintaining a healthy panfish population. This is because they are naturally aggressive and travel in large schools, so they compete with each other for available food. One final piece of advice: Don’t spend too much time in one place. You can get sound advice on all aspects of fly fishing for bluegills from Terry and Roxanne’s book, but the best advice I can give you for catching more and bigger panfish, is to “get down.”. These rigs work best when you can fish parallel to the structure allowing both the indicator and the fly to land close to the structure your fishing. Panfish tend to associate with each other by year class. On the plus side, you may draw the attention of larger predators like bass and pickerel. If you still have problems you can try fishing a sinking fly under an indicator. Well maybe that is a slight exaggeration, but that classic line from the Jaws movie made a valid point. Fishing them on a 2- or 3-weight rod might be tempting, but a 4- or 5-weight is going to provide smoother delivery. Once again, I keep my flies on the larger size to discourage hits from smaller fish. Tied on a size six hook it is a great searching pattern for large panfish. When bluegills are eating on the surface, sight casting dry flies and poppers is very effective and a …
2020 fly fishing for big bluegill