To me, the Dynaudio Special 40 seems very clearly to be less than the sum of its parts. Audience The One and 1+1 V2+$995, $2345The One, as you might infer from its name, is a single full-range driver shoehorned into a small box. VS the now LEGENDARY KEF LS50. Global feedback: how big is your local music library? The small two-way monitor category has always been a favorite of those who value the qualitative over the quantitative. (Same question for C20) Posted on: 09 January 2019 by Kevin-W [@mention:1566878604006668] - When i was demoing the S40s I had them on Stand 6, which was a great match, and had a lot of aesthetic appeal. It also costs only one-third the price. While there’s still a bit of veiling and the UB5 doesn’t fully shed its enclosure, let’s get real—this Elac is competitive with speakers well beyond its price segment. ATC SCM19-V2$3999Not a brand to cater to the fashions of the marketplace, ATC has bolstered these stout, professional-grade monitors with bespoke drivers created to do a single job—accurate pro-caliber reproduction. The new Kef LSX are similar to the Dynaudio in that they connect wirelessly Master (control speaker) to Slave but at 24/48 instead. Sound Demo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5vSVCDDfww https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uPqgEZ0Woo ... Aerial and I really think Dynaudio Special 40 is a great all around fun speaker, even over Contour but I went to a new shop to hear one brand, Harbeth and was introduced to Legacy. The Prisms should shake a good portion of those fence-sitters from their roosts. A lot of thought went into the cabinet, from the curved front panel to the materials used in the speaker's construction. Care in placement and setup is needed for best results. Audience is unique in this regard; no other speaker manufacturer employs the same driver in all its speakers from the smallest to the largest. There’s a cooler cast to its tonal balance likely due to the lighter bass, but its character is still unmistakably, accurately Revel. #prenzlaue, In order to overcome an irrational fear of looking, One of these is not like the others. Connectivity is as easy as pairing with your iPhone BT; the Xeo’s room-adaptive EQ settings are also helpful. First Listen: Goldmund PH3.8 NEXTGEN Phonostage, Rocky Mountain Audio Fest 2019: Loudspeakers, 2019 Editors’ Choice Awards: Loudspeakers $1,500 - $3,000, 2019 Editors’ Choice Awards: Turntables $400-$4,000, 2019 Editors' Choice Awards: Loudspeakers $100,000 and up, 2018 Editors' Choice Awards: Disc Players $2,000 - $10,000. The B5 compact represents the first effort in what should be a long and fruitful collaboration between Elac and its celebrated VP of Engineering, Andrew Jones. The M16 doesn’t paint small sonic landscapes—a sense of immersion and “widescreen” scale are two of its most distinctive characteristics. The result is a monitor that provides agile, detailed, and nuanced mids and highs, while serving up a low end that is unexpectedly full-bodied and that matches the quality of the speaker’s midrange and treble. Joseph Audio Pulsar$7700When asked why he created the Pulsar speaker, Jeff Joseph replied, “I’ve always wanted to make a really excellent mini-monitor. A common complaint in reviews too. KEF LSX wireless AirPlay 2 enabled-speakers for true high-resolution stereo sound. Go to awesomeness ranking Go to consumer score ranking Kef LS50 … There are fireworks and ass-kicking dynamics, yes, but more importantly, there’s a degree of silken, shimmering refinement that’s rare in this segment. Still, in spite of ATC’s stellar track record, NG never expected the new and aggressively priced SCM19 to be as good as it is. Both are exceptionally clean and detailed. Wharfedale Diamond 225$449The Wharfedale Diamond 225s are very affordable, relatively compact bookshelf speakers. SVS Ultra Bookshelf, the cheaper option, tends to get more favorable reviews than Kef LS50 [4.5 vs 4.1 ]. ML’s air-motion-style tweet produces an expansively airy treble. Dynaudio's 25th-anniversary Special Twenty-Five ($5200/pair) was previewed by John Marks in his January 2003 The Fifth Element" column, with a very positive Follow-Up review from me in June 2005. Compared to the now $3500 Dynaudio Special 40, the 706 S2 doesn’t sound as mature or refined. Stirling Broadcast LS3/6$5595 (premium finishes, $5995)This modern version of the classic British mid-sized monitor, which was itself the BBC version of the famous Spendor BC1, offers the extraordinary truth to timbre of its ancestry but without the dynamic limitations. Perceived distortion levels are low, and harmonic textures flow naturally without any glaring response peaks. There’s greater specificity, body, and focus to images—all trademarks of a concentric driver. To wit, the Special Forty were compared to another anniversary model of note, the KEF LS50, now in their fifth year as my go to standmount. MORE: Dynaudio Special Forty review. KEF will be slightly better on clarity, imaging and detail, dynaudio will have better dynamics, more natural instrument timbre and avoid any tendency towards brightness.If bulk of listening is rock and pop vocal music, KEF might be preferred, if bulk is jazz and classical then maybe the dyna. Compare Speakers The new Special Forty anniversary speaker draws on 40 years of cutting-edge research – and brings it totally up to date with Dynaudio’s most celebrated techniques and technologies. Stunning both visually and sonically, the two-way 805 is a bold performer. Simply one of the best compacts NG has heard to date. DYNAUDIO EMIT M10 BOOKSHELF SPEAKER - PAIR - SATIN BLACK 4.6 out of 5 stars 20. The result is more resolution and detail (particularly in the treble), superior transparency, wider dynamic expression, and greater midrange purity. I do not have as much technical knowledge as you, I always try to learn by following you. Put the Prisms in a midsized-or-smaller room, mate them with decent electronics and a good subwoofer, and they will deliver the musical goods in that natural and articulate way that Joseph Audio loudspeakers are known for, but at a more affordable price than ever before. I loved the emotional quality of the Dynaudio but the soundstage wasn’t quite there for me, and they sounded timid. Hats off to Totem’s Vince Bruzzese for his continuing quest to coax big-time performance from a tiny two-way, while still harnessing the virtues of speed and transparency that come with a little box.. Watkins Generation 4$2495The late Bill Watkins poured decades of design experience into this small and innovative two-way. They’re not going to rattle any windows, but they’ll deliver plenty of satisfaction to keep you flipping records. Air Tight Bonsai $2500The tiny but mighty one-way Bonsai, also known as the AL-05, epitomizes what a single driver can do—in this case, a 4" hand-made paper cone devised by a former JBL engineer. Visually arresting and sonically satisfying, the LS50 delivers tonal neutrality at just the right pitch, with superb midrange sonics, full-bodied presence, and potent midbass punch. Thanks to its beautifully crafted high-density enclosure—an ideal platform for the space-saving Uni-Q—there’s little in the way of cabinet resonances or port colorations. The surprise is the extent to which the SCM19 outshines its distinguished predecessors—particularly ATC’s other passive consumer speakers—in voicing and seamless inter-driver coherence. The S40’s are smooth, big sounding and almost full range in the sound with the right setup and power behind them. Easily the most enthralling aspects of the M16’s performance are the fullness and cohesiveness of its soundstage and imaging. For both sonic and aesthetic reasons, Alysons are speakers that even restless audiophiles will likely hang on to for a long time. Bowers & Wilkins 705 S2$2500Balanced, uncolored, remarkably precise, and self-effacing, the 705 S2 two-way monitor/bookshelf loudspeaker is a shining example of a large company providing more (not less) value. They’re an impressive reminder that the “entry-level” isn’t such a bad place to be. And if you want even more convenience, consider the powered LS50 Wireless, which includes built-in amplification, DAC, streaming preamp, and room EQ along with the same Uni-Q driver and low-resonance enclosure.. Totem Acoustic Sky$1895Classic Totem through and through, the Sky is purpose-built—clean and seamless, with rigid cabinetry and beautiful veneer finishes. Chameleon-like in how it adopts the character of source material, it can be terrifically expressive and liquid, or warm and richly shaded. Video coming soon. He’s since moved to Austin, Texas, and is starting to employ sustainable materials from this new environment. An “augmented” two-way, it combines a 7" wide-bandwidth mid/bass driver with a Heil-type tweeter, and two side-mounted passive radiators to extend bass depth and punch. One of its key design elements is operation of the woofer as a wide-range driver without a low-pass filter. Designed by Derek Hughes, son of Spencer Hughes, designer of the original, this resurrected classic is a modern masterpiece. Positioned in a small- or medium-sized room, the LS50 makes a statement like few other small speakers. On top of that, it's fairly safe to say that Kef LS50 are more popular speakers, based on their reviews. In sum, a combination of packaging, performance, and convenience that deserves a receptive audience. On top of that, it's fairly safe to say that KEF LS50 Mini Monitor are more popular speakers, based on their 10+ reviews. The LS50s are no slouches in the bass department, but honestly they've got nothing on the Dyns. Wow, 40 years. Less than a foot tall, it has a bold, confident voice that neither screams with treble lift nor shrinks into the background with presence suckout. Its midrange sonics are smooth, a bit forward, and yet relatively unboxy. This one involves a walk aro, Schooling my neighbours on the sheer majesty of ea, Bangers n' mash from the always entertaining @s_p_, The @campfireaudio Dorado 2020. Needle-dropping w/ the Pro-Ject 6 Perspex – results! The Signature One’s ability to vanish within the confines of a small listening room remains a credit to the Totem résumé. The Dynaudios have unparalleled bass depth and weight (for a standmount speaker). Its dynamic, uncompromising midband, good overall speed, and excellent inter-driver coherence all happily conspire to generate a tonal ripeness that belies the speaker’s tiny stature. According to Audience, the A3A has exceptionally flat response, claimed to be within +/-3dB from 40Hz to 22kHz. Driver integration, the bane of hybrids, is good. Thought I’d share my thoughts on the Kef R3’s that I have demoed at home today, providing some comparisons to the other top-contender at the moment, the Dynaudio Special 40s. The soundstage is direct and wide, projecting up to the edge of the baffle and beyond, and the 225s render even shrill horns butter-smooth. In our awesomeness score SVS Ultra Bookshelf ranks #101 out of 137 and Kef LS50 ranks #77 out of 137. Elac Debut B5$229It’s little; it’s vinyl clad; it’s dirt cheap; and it sounds terrific. The 1" aluminum/magnesium alloy dome is damped to tame ultrasonic breakup modes. And the legend continues in this instant classic. All of the company’s products are beautiful to behold. Sometimes it’s hard to say goodbye.” ’Nuff said. Continuing to widen the performance envelope of the small speaker, the Signature One is the widest expression of Totem’s grand quest thus far. The lifelike body of its midrange gives the 15"-tall 906 a nicely weighted tonal balance, with good dynamics and a notable amount of air and dimensionality. Compact or not, the 805 D3 is a loudspeaker to be reckoned with at any price, from any company. The drivers cohere with no apparent presence dip at or around the crossover point. What dynaudio fans think? Overall, the Diamond 225s have a surprising and pleasing cleanliness to their sound, and at a price that invites newcomers and old-hands alike. Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, Emotiva A-300, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One. Dynaudio Xeo 2 $1299 ... KEF LS50/KEF LS50 Wireless $1499/$2199 Built to celebrate KEF’s 50th anniversary, the LS50 monitor spins pure coincident-driver magic thanks to its blushing pink-gold Uni-Q coaxial midrange/tweeter mounted in bulls-eye fashion atop a uniquely arched baffle. Finally, I had all the parts.” So, in essence, the Pulsar is a mini-Pearl that fits into small spaces where the Pearl can’t. I’ve just connected my Denon AVR-2113 to my new Samsung 85q80t with a 2.1 HDMI to the Arc port. The engineers worked on improving airflow and damping behind the 28mm tweeter dome - the idea is to reduce back-pressure as the diaphragm moves, increasing detail and lowering distortion. (The slight excess of treble energy noted in the review has been corrected in current production: The speaker is extremely smooth now.) Kef R400B 9-Inch Subwoofer. The drivers of the Special 40 do exhibit better control in certain respects; the Buchardts tend to slightly soften detail. It does everything well, although it doesn't quite have the high end clarity of the LS50, IMO. Totem Acoustic Signature One$2650In celebration of Totem’s 30th anniversary, the Signature One represents the largest series of changes ever to this iconic model. Relatively easy to drive at a sensitivity of 86dB and a load of 8 ohms, the M126 Be still craves good amplification. The 705 S2 is an all-around and constant musical companion that comes as close to a “must-audition” in sub-$5k monitors as you’ll find today. The Sky is also prima facie evidence of just how far small speakers have evolved in the way of a fuller-bodied and warmer musical balance. Excellent match if you have Kef LS50, Kef R3 or any other Kef Speakers or any other brands. Befitting its size, its sound is slightly lighter overall, but thanks to its impressive and frisky midbass the speaker always feels grounded. Dynaudio Xeo 2$1299The Xeo 2 is a wireless, internally bi-amplified/DSP’d two-way speaker system in a svelte cabinet. Expect an exceptionally wide and transparent soundstage coupled with transient speed, precise image focus, timbral accuracy, and an ability to retrieve low-level detail that are generally unheard of at this price point. But my dealer convinced me that the Hegel H300 is far superior to the M6i and I was offered a huge discount on the Hegel, as well. Its sonic character is vivid, fast, vibrant, and thoroughly engaging. With the Sopra No1s, I felt compelled to hear them play music until the last possible moment. KEF LS50 Loudspeakers . Wilson Benesch A.C.T. Revel Performa3 M126 Be$4000To describe the M126 Be as merely the hot-rodded version of the nifty little two-way M106 does not give it its sonic due. But the Aria 906 gets most of the music just right, and at 1500 bucks does so for a song. The end result is in-room extension to nearly 41Hz, a remarkable accomplishment for a 6.5" driver in a compact enclosure. The new Special 40’s follow in their tradition of releasing “special” speakers when they hit certain anniversaries. It's also … Global feedback: how many coffees do you drink per day? 2014-12-01 . Those listeners willing to sacrifice some of the Aon 3’s extended low-frequency performance may find GoldenEar’s slightly smaller Aon 2 offers even more compelling three-dimensional imaging. It uses Focal’s innovative F-cone sandwich-construction with a flax-fiber core driver for lightness, rigidity, and superior damping. A superb and superbly defined midrange, overall tonal neutrality, broad-shouldered micro- and macro-dynamics are all in evidence. New video coming to YouTube in a few hours: @kef.g, Radioaktivität. An unusual patent-pending bass-reflex tuning is implemented with two damped internal chambers. The Special Forty is a two-way, reflex-loaded, standmount monitor that leverages design elements drawn from more costly Dynaudio models, starting with an inherently phase coherent first-order crossover network said to incorporate the firm’s unique phase and impedance alignment technologies. Its midrange signature is a near-seamless combination of speed, wideband dynamic contrast, and dense tonal color. In addition there’s more air on top, likely attributable to the all-new, in-house-engineered-and-manufactured soft-dome tweeter, which is a real beaut. Find a Special Forty dealer online. #cdcollection, Dropping Bombs on the Whitehouse. #thestyl, A monstrously good sounding set of urban tech step, Ken Ball brought his Portland vibe to the Darko.Au. KEF Q350 vs Dynaudio Emit M10 Comparison. Perhaps the most impressive aspect of this excellent compact is the continuity of its soundstage—an unbroken tapestry of images woven into ambient soundspace. The VoiceBox S prefers a smaller room and some wall reinforcement, but this is one little Aussie that could very well rattle expectations for foot-tall two-ways in its price range. I think my room size / set up wouldn't justify the cost of Dynaudio Special 40's but i did try them briefly in a demo and they sounded very good,. While SS can’t and won’t try to give you a numerical percentage of the Pulsar’s performance that is equaled by the Prisms—as in “they deliver 85% of the Pulsars’ performance”—he will say that the Prisms have similar sonic qualities with an overall performance level that ranks up with the best small monitors he’s heard. The 1+1 V2+ employs a significantly redesigned version of this full-range driver (one each front and back, plus passive radiators on either side), top-level Au24SX internal wiring, re-tuned passive radiators, and custom tellurium solderless binding posts. I am looking for an upgrade for my desktop near field monitors where i live highend speakers can only be found in the used market and options are very limited , ultimately i want to find a pair of LS50 ,but cant find them yet , but i have found a pair of used genelec M030 for around 800$ , how would the genelec's compare to the KEF's , should i buy them or wait till i find the KEF… MartinLogan Motion 35XT$1199This two-way, compact hybrid design puts its Folded Motion tweeter, melded with a perky aluminum-cone mid/bass, squarely in the spotlight. What Jones and the Elac team have managed to ring from this most humble of designs is nothing short of exceptional. Olaf von Voss #dark, Tomorrow's audiophiles are already out there on Sp, Love + Light. #darkoaudio #kraftwerk #nowplayin, @campfireaudio Vega 2020. There are no discontinuities and/or vestigial box colorations, either. Initially I wanted to buy Musical Fidelity's M6i with the speaker choice of either KEF's LS50 or Dynaudio's Focus 160. I decided to change it after reading the measurements of my own speaker; Dynaudio Special 40. The low-end response from its bass-reflex cabinet is quick, with little indication of port artifacts—the timbral clarity of acoustic bass, for example, is richly defined in both extension and grip. Oh, and decked-out in their elegant, glossy rosewood finish, these compact wonders are as lovely to look at as they are to listen to. Time sure does fly. The midrange/woofer I developed for the Pearl II was the missing link. Dynaudio Contour 20 Vs Special 40 Dynaudio Special 40 Vs Evoke 20. These B&W speakers cost $1999.99. Its midrange-centric sound does justice to both male and female vocalists, conveying high intelligibility, tactile presence, and a distinct sense of the physical underpinnings of the performance. #da, Willkommen zu Hause @rme_audio ADI-2 FS D/A Wandle, You're caught in the double vegetation. I initially had to change tv setting to pcm on tv for sound to come through clear but I am not getting anything from the rear speakers or the subwoofer. Campfire Audio Dorado 2020, Vega 2020 review (and podcast), Quad’s Artera Solus Play (or why DTS Play-Fi remains fundamentally flawed), A short film about the Wharfedale Diamond 12.1. The Dynaudio Emit M20 is a better balanced speaker, that is less forward. The B5 is robust in the mid and upper bass, but the real difference is how everything comes together in such an exquisitely balanced and musical fashion. Schiit announces $99 Modi 3+ DAC w/ Unison USB, Moonriver Audio introduces 404 Reference integrated amplifier, Over-the-phone buying advice or general hi-fi discussion. It's clean, fast and powerful. One (1999) ... KEF LS50 (2012) The KEF LS50s were, and remain, blindingly good speakers. Focal Sopra No1$8999Reviewer Andy Quint wrote this about these superb two-ways with articulating cabinets from celebrated French manufacturer Focal: “Perhaps the most telling part of the audiophile loudspeaker review process is what happens when all the critical listening has finished. Ideal for small-to-mid-sized rooms, the Bonsai’s are capable of reproducing a wide range of music with astounding coherence. Revel Concerta2 M16$900A feast for the eyes and ears, the M16 has been refreshed with smartly contoured enclosures, high-gloss finishes, and elegant design accents. ... Dynaudio Special 40 Bookshelf Speakers - Pair (Grey Birch High Gloss) Add to Cart Add to Cart The motor system has also been tweaked. Which dynaudio stand is a good match for special 40 (6,10 or 20?). The sound getting better, while my money has remained in my pocket ever since I read this place. Their only hesitation was coming up with the $7000. For this reason, I would like your help in consider the measurements. Bowers & Wilkins 805 D3$6000The 805 D3 is the sole compact in Bowers & Wilkins’ revamped 800 D Series lineup. KEF LSX Wireless Music System (Black, Pair) ... KEF LS50 Wireless Powered Music System (Black, Pair) 4.0 out of 5 stars 120. That 17cm mid/bass unit still uses the company’s traditional MSP (Magnesium Silicate Polymer) cone – it’s a one-piece cone using the lar… So Kef LS50, while being a pricier option, tends to get more favorable ⭐ reviews than the $850 Dynaudio Excite, as seen on the chart below. The midrange makes one understand why the midrange of the BC1 became a legend. Compact Design Dual 9" Drivers Dedicated Class-D Amplifier Back to back mount design - force cancelling RCA phono sockets Speaker level inputs All Rights ReservedWeb-Design by Studio.Raydianze.com, Resonessence Labs INVICTA Mirus Pro review. Imaging and dimensionality are excellent. Woah, they’re big. But in many domestic and professional listening environments their less blingy exterior may be a positive attribute. All rights reserved. Other decisive factors include its integration of port and woofer, and excellent inter-driver coherence.
2020 dynaudio special 40 vs kef ls50