But I do like the crane on the cover. I think that specific design represents the book very well. Descendant of the Crane (Book) : He, Joan : When her father is murdered, Princess Hesina of Yan is thrust into power, suddenly the queen of an unstable kingdom. I think that specific design represents the book very well. Also, this sounds like a book that I would enjoy greatly. They’re all so different and unique. Descendant of the Crane by Joan He ‘Descendant of the Crane’ by Joan He (Albert Whitman & Company) With comparisons to ‘Game of Thrones,’ Joan He’s debut delivers with plenty of pain and heartache included. It made it hard for me to really enjoy the book, because I didn't feel very invested in what happened to people. I dusted off my copy of. When you're done with a book, do you immediately write a review, or do you sit on it for a few days? I am seriously hoping we get a sequel in the future. This year I am partnering with the lovely Lauren from   Shooting Stars Mag , and we're doing a little something called: Read the Alphab... Hello friends! Determined to find her father's killer, Hesina engages the aid of a soothsayer. Determined to find her father's killer, Hesina engages the aid of a soothsayer. She decides to investigate the death of her father. Spouse. The most compelling aspect has to be the story. Princess Hesina of Yan has always been eager to shirk the responsibilities of the crown, but when her beloved father is murdered, she’s thrust into power, suddenly the queen of an unstable kingdom. The Characters. ★★★★ TW: Parental death My main impression of Descendant of the Crane was of a very solid YA fantasy debut that was enjoyable if not incredible… and then the plot twists hit and I was like “WOAH.”I am 100% planning on reading the sequel! On Goodreads she mentioned writing companion novels that continued the story, but through someone else's perspective. Utterly compelling from page one, this book will grab you and not let up until the final page. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. And there were all really good surprising ones too! :), This was not on my radar, but you've put it there. The book had a slow start but by the end I couldn’t stop reading. I love character-driven books, and this one definitely is. Utterly compelling from page one, this book will grab you and not let up until the final page. Title: Descendant of the Crane Author: Joan He Rating: ★★★★ Is Descendant of the Crane a wholly unique story sure to please even the most critical of readers? After some consideration, I think the thing that drew me into this book and kept my interest was the wonderful world-building. Cancel anytime. And that you loved it makes me want to read it immediately- especially because the characters are such a strength! Descendant of the Crane follows Princess Hesina as she’s thrown into a position of power following the murder of her father, the King of Yan. Great review!! I found Akira to be the least developed character in this novel, and compared to the natural chemistry Hesina had with her siblings, their relationship seemed stilted. I love, love, love, all of the characters in this story! Descendant of the Crane might be low on the action, but it is high on the suspense and political intrigue. It makes reading much more fun :)Elle Inked @ Keep on Reading, THE COVER IS AMAZING! Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. Joan He's Descendant of the Crane is full of mystical world building and magical family secrets as its heroine, Princess Hesina of Yan, tries to find out … Want to pick up a copy of The Descendant of the Crane for yourself? I am seriously hoping we get a sequel in the future. They seem to have a common goal, but very different ways of achieving it. Title: Descendant of the Crane Author: Joan He Rating: ★★★★ Is Descendant of the Crane a wholly unique story sure to please even the most critical of readers? Rulers sacrifice their own. Her strained relationship with her blood brother and mother, especially in comparison to her close relationship with her adopted siblings, was really interesting to read about, especially as the story unfolds and you learn more about this history between family members. Karen @ For What It's Worth, The cover is amazing! She goes to see a sooth, a person who can see the future and is an outcast in this society, who told her to find a convict with a rod. Descendant of the Crane explores many themes in a brilliant way. ... sequel to the 1960s series that will follow the descendants of the original characters. Descendant of the Crane Joan He Rating: 4* I have been on a mission this month to read a lot of the proofs that were sent to me earlier this year. Princess Hesina of Yan has always been eager to shirk the responsibilities of the crown, but when her … I'm glad it was just as good inside the pages! Hopefully this review helps you decide whether you want to read this book without giving too much away. I recently finished Descendant of the Crane by Joan He and woah, it was a wild ride. Hmm -- I didn't really get Game of Throne vibes. Palmer has an interesting story, but I disliked all of the characters. I read Descendant of the Crane this year and I thought it felt like such an original fantasy and I love the political intrigue side to it. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. I think there will be a sequel. She decides to investigate the death of her father. Rulers sacrifice their own. I think you'd enjoy this one, Karen. Descendant of the Crane. Hesina wanted to protect her people, and also save innocent lives. Descendant of the Crane by Joan He. Absolutely. I’m desperately hoping for a sequel because they just can’t leave us hanging like that. Publisher: Albert Whitman & Co./Titan Books, Publication date: 02 April 2019/16 June 2020. Absolutely. It is! Descendant of the Crane is available for purchase as of April 9, 2019. There's still so much left open at the end of this one, even though it mostly resolved itself. Rulers sacrifice their own. <3, This is one that I've been hesitant to read. Princess Hesina of Yan has always been eager to shirk the responsibilities of the crown, but when her beloved father is murdered, she's thrust into power, suddenly the queen of an unstable kingdom. Descendant of the Crane is all about the hotbed of problems the Kingdom of Yan is facing after the death of its king. Determined to find her father’s killer, Hesina does something desperate: she engages the aid of a soothsayer—a treasonous act, punishable by death… because in Yan, magic was outlawed centuries ago. ;) Everyone is trying to do the right thing in their own way, with the exception of a few people that are just rotten, and it's interesting to see how their hopes and desires clash with others. I am so grateful to Titan Books for sending me this copy of Descendant of the Crane in exchange for an honest review around its publication date in May. Descendant of the Crane by Joan He Published by Albert Whitman & Company on April 9, 2019 Source: Publisher, Netgalley Genres: Young Adult, Diversity, Fantasy & Magic Amazon | Book Depository | Barnes & Noble Add to Goodreads. Me too! :). Descendant of the Crane He, Joan. Descendant of the Crane tells the story of Hesina – a young woman who finds herself the heir to the throne after her father’s sudden and suspicious passing. It is! What an interesting sounding story. Yay! Hopefully this review helps you decide whether you want to read this book without giving too much away. Some of the plot twists made me gasp audibly, one made me tear up, and that ending got me SHOOK. I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. For example, Saving Meghan by D.J. They're all great! Do You want people to point out the flaws in your reviews? They have both internal and external struggles, and it was interesting to see how different people choice to deal with them. ;) It's definitely a slow-burn romance, but it makes sense given their positions. I hope the sequel lives up to your expectation!! Tyrants cut out hearts. When someone loves a book so much that they are begging for a sequel, it definitely piques my interest. <3, I have heard so many great things about Descendant of the Crane, I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed this book so much! I heard the author wants to write companion novels that further the story, but don't follow the same characters. You can see an exclusive first look at the intricate cover below. Using the information illicitly provided by the sooth, and uncertain if she can trust even her family, Hesina turns to Akira—a brilliant investigator who’s also a convicted criminal with secrets of his own. Hi, hello, and welcome to the monthly #bookswithfriends live show! In this shimmering Chinese-inspired fantasy, debut author Joan He introduces a determined and vulnerable young heroine struggling to do right in a world brimming with deception. It is a treasonous act, punishable by death, because in Yan, magic was outlawed centuries ago. Choctaw. Literally, everything else besides the above. Lawrence in the Fall by Matthew Farina & Doug Sala... Repeat by Kylie Scott [Release Blitz + Excerpt + R... My Weekly Pull [64] & Can't Wait Wednesday [34]. I'm so glad to hear that you loved this one so much and that the characters are so compelling. DESCENDANT OF THE CRANE is the kind of well-wrought story that you will fall into headlong, losing hours of the day as you won’t be able to stop from turning the pages. I need more Hesina and Akira, Mei and Sanjing, soothsayers. She goes to see a sooth, a person who can see the future and is an outcast in this society, who told her to find a convict with a rod. Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com. No. <3, Click the "Notify me" box if you want to be notified when someone responds!“Stuff and nonsense. They are definitely well-written and flawed, so I hope your library has a copy. I love it when an author creates amazing characters that you enjoy. It's more about one countries turmoil with a single potential outside conflict. Descendant of the Crane is all about the hotbed of problems the Kingdom of Yan is facing after the death of its king. The cast included Bob Crane, Werner Klemperer, John Banner, and Richard Dawson. I love character-driven stories, so I should give it a try. Descendant of the Crane is available from Albert Whitman Teen. It was really great. I would love to read Crier’s War and My Lady Jane too. Gregor and the Code of Claw (Underland Chronicles,... Q [8] Do you prefer hardcovers or paperback copies? "—Rachel Hartman, New York Times bestselling author of Seraphina. Princess Hesina of Yan has always been eager to shirk the responsibilities of the crown, but when her beloved father is murdered, she's thrust into power, suddenly the queen of an unstable kingdom. Descendant of the Crane is a Chinese-inspired fantasy from debut author Joan He. Descendant of the Crane follows Hesina, and her rise to power after her father dies in a mysterious fashion. Princess Hesina of Yan has always been eager to shirk the responsibilities of the crown, but when her beloved father is murdered, she's thrust into power, suddenly the queen of an unstable kingdom. Definitely adding to my TBR!! Great review, so happy it was such a win for you! I’m glad to hear some good things about The Beautiful as I has heard some mixed things about it!! It's so gorgeous. It was a great quarantine read and was the perfect escape! Rulers sacrifice their own. She/her. Descendant of the Crane by Joan He Release Date: April 2, 2019 My Rating: 4.75 stars Summary: Tyrants cut out hearts.Rulers sacrifice their own. :). Or will the cost be too high? Listen to Descendant of the Crane by Joan He,Nancy Wu with a free trial.\nListen to unlimited* audiobooks on the web, iPad, iPhone and Android. Tyrants cut out hearts. A book needs awesome characters to support an awesome story, and character-driven stories are the best! One is examining what makes a person good or evil. Its twists and treacheries kept me guessing until the very end. Tyrants cut out hearts. Review: Descendant of the Crane. Although I loved the various sibling relationships in Descendant of the Crane, I had mixed feelings about the various romantic relationships in this book. I think you'll love it! Alex Brown is a high school librarian by day, local historian by night, author and writer by … on April 23, 2019 There are a lot of unexpected twists, too. The book had a slow start but by the end I couldn’t stop reading. Next in line, Princess Hesina, is prepared to step up and take the throne and the responsibility that comes with it, such as finding the person who murdered the king, and dealing with potential war with a neighbouring kingdom. I cannot wait to see what the author does next! I honestly reached a point where I just refused to put it down. Hi, hello, and welcome to the monthly #bookswithfriends live show! I’m desperately hoping for a sequel because they just can’t leave us hanging like that. Descendant of the Crane (eBook) : He, Joan : Tyrants cut out hearts. Descendant of the Crane (Book) : He, Joan. I recently finished Descendant of the Crane by Joan He and woah, it was a wild ride. This book does leave you with a bit of a cliff hanger. <3 I'm so curious about this book, especially the characters and Caiyan and Lilian and Hesina's relationship, which sounds amazing :D. The characters were my favorite part of the story. Happy it was a winner for you and you get a sequel, There was some resolution at the end, but there's definitely room for more story. By: Joan He Narrated by: Nancy Wu Free with a 30-day trial $14.95/month after 30 days. It's a very compelling read, and it definitely made me thing. I love me some flawed and morally grey characters and even the relationships sound incredibly intricate. ★★★★ TW: Parental death My main impression of Descendant of the Crane was of a very solid YA fantasy debut that was enjoyable if not incredible… and then the plot twists hit and I was like “WOAH.”I am 100% planning on reading the sequel! I dusted off my copy of The Descendant of the Crane — one of my most highly anticipated 2019 releases that I never managed to read (oops), which is coming out in the UK in June. Dance of Thieves (Dance of Thieves, #1) by Mary E.... My Weekly Pull [65] & Can't Wait Wednesday [35]. =), Never heard of this book. Maybe it will make more sense in the sequel. It was a great quarantine read and was the perfect escape! The Descendant of the Crane is a fun and twisty YA book that might not work for everyone, but lovers of beautiful fantasy worlds should consider picking up! Tt's fantastic that they were on your mind so much after finishing the book :), They're characters that really stick with you! Descendant of the Crane is all about the hotbed of problems the Kingdom of Yan is facing after the death of its king. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. The Descendant of the Crane is a fun and twisty YA book that might not work for everyone, but lovers of beautiful fantasy worlds should consider picking up! It is! I really enjoyed Hesina's perspective, and I had hoped to learn more about her father's past and Akira. Its twists and treacheries kept me guessing until the very end. :). Glad to hear you liked it. The Descendant of the Crane is a fun and twisty YA book that might not work for everyone, but lovers of beautiful fantasy worlds should consider picking up! ( Log Out /  You should try it, even though it's not the steamy romance your normally read. Rachel Hartman, New York Times bestselling author of Seraphina. The sequel cannot come fast enough. Search I am seriously hoping we get a sequel in the future. Determined to find her father's killer, Hesina does something desperate: she engages the … Thanks! Tyrants cut out hearts. Descendant of the Craneis a masterful debut from Joan He, and while it doesn’t seem like she has a sequel in mind for it, I would definitely be one of the first in line to buy it if she does (especially with that ending, I mean come on! ... sequel to the 1960s series that will follow the descendants of the original characters. While I have heard a ton of buzz about it, I haven't really seen any actual reviews! Sometimes you’ll find yourself reading too quickly, caught up in the mystery of the King’s assassination, and you’ll have to remind yourself to slow down. Descendant of the Crane by Joan He. I really loved the Descendent of the Crane and hope there will be a sequel! They were very well-written and complex, and each struggling with their own problems. Descendant of the Crane is on my TBR list. DESCENDANT OF THE CRANE is a richly drawn tapestry of complex characters, a sprawling world, and a tense plot that wounds the reader as tightly as it does its burgeoning queen, Hesina. People that had been planning things for AGES, suddenly make their move, and it really rocks the story. 'Descendant of the Crane' by Joan He In a world where magic is outlawed, a new ruler turns to the work of a soothsayer to learn what killed her father. :), I've had my eye on this book for a while now! Is this Chinese-inspired fantasy a beautifully written and well-crafted novel? The cast included Bob Crane, Werner Klemperer, John Banner, and Richard Dawson. The ending left the story somewhat resolved, but definitely open for more. Next in line, Princess Hesina, is prepared to step up and take the throne and the responsibility that comes with it, such as finding the person who murdered the king, and dealing with potential war with a neighbouring kingdom. Tyrants cut out hearts. It also really fits the story, which I love. The characters sound amazing! Change ), I’ve been struggling with YA fantasy for the past year or so, however I wanted to give it another try while in quarantine. Maybe it will make more sense in the sequel. Nothing has ever quite been equal. She had a hard time balancing between the two, but her heart was always in the right place. We are all mad here, don't you know?” ― Marissa Meyer, Heartless, I cannot stop thinking about this book! That cover is absolutely stunning! Plus, all of their psychology are all on point. Beautiful review Linds, really enjoyed it. ( Log Out /  One is examining what makes a person good or evil. I really loved it, so I hope it's not meh for you! I recently finished Descendant of the Crane by Joan He and woah, it was a wild ride. ✨, Yay! You can find a copy at the following sites (affiliate links): Great review! DESCENDANT OF THE CRANE is a richly drawn tapestry of complex characters, a sprawling world, and a tense plot that wounds the reader as tightly as it does its burgeoning queen, Hesina. I really hope there are plans for a sequel. ). … The Initial Insult (The Initial Insult, #1) by Mindy McGinnis, The Inheritance Games (The Inheritance Games, #1). Descendant of the Crane Joan He Rating: 4* I have been on a mission this month to read a lot of the proofs that were sent to me earlier this year. ). Search I’m desperately hoping for a sequel because they just can’t leave us hanging like that. Honestly, if Descendant of the Crane didn’t have such a poor start, it could have been a 5-star book. She's torn between doing what's right, and doing what's best for her people as a majority. I'm already looking forward to reading this one again!I read somewhere that the author plans on writing companion novels that continue the story, but that are from someone else's perspective. Descendant of the Crane (eBook) : He, Joan : Tyrants cut out hearts. Goodreads Synopsis: ... She raved about it and declared more people needed to read it so that the author would write a sequel. Rulers sacrifice their own. Princess Hesina of Yan has always been eager to shirk the responsibilities of the crown, but when her … That's massive hype to live up to so thrilled you've loved it Linds. Two currently exist in my head, narrated by new characters but also featuring the old, and c…more It's a standalone with the potential for companion books! Descendant of the Crane was acquired in a two-book UK and Commonwealth rights deal, ... Alongside Descendant of the Crane, Titan Books will also be publishing the sequel … Descendant of the Crane (Book) : He, Joan : When her father is murdered, Princess Hesina of Yan is thrust into power, suddenly the queen of an unstable kingdom. Lover of books and fuzzy socks. One is examining what makes a person good or evil. I seriously can't wait to read it! This book is a funny one for me because I think it was a fairly generic YA story with fairly generic characters, but there’s something about it that worked so well for me! It is a treasonous act, punishable by death, because in Yan, magic was outlawed centuries ago. Descendant of the Crane (Book) : He, Joan. I've already ordered a physical copy for my shelves -- love it! I really want to pick this one up! Descendant of the Crane by Joan He. Jennifer Lynn Barnes has ... Vegan. Great review! Descendant of the Crane might be low on the action, but it is high on the suspense and political intrigue. One is examining what makes a person good or evil. So glad this was a good read, I was really hoping it would be! <3. I hope you have a chance to read it soon. Read the review. It was a great quarantine read and was the perfect escape! Joan He It's a standalone with the potential for companion books! Descendant of the Crane (Book) : He, Joan : "Princess Hesina of Yan is thrust into power when her beloved father is murdered, and she's determined to find his killer--whatever the cost"--When her father is murdered, Princess Hesina of Yan is thrust into power, suddenly the queen of an unstable kingdom. It turned out to be the perfect escapist read filled with gorgeous world-building, fun characters, and more twists and turns than I could have ever anticipated! I am totally in love with the cover and was surprised by how much I enjoyed DESCENDANT OF THE CRANE. Descendant of the Crane (eBook) : He, Joan : Tyrants cut out hearts. Find by address or ZIP code. Descendant of the Crane follows Hesina, and her rise to power after her father dies in a mysterious fashion. Eek, so glad you liked it! <3, OMG LOOK AT THE COVER!! I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. I hope you have a chance to read it soon, and that you love it as much as I did. Aspiring Minimalist. ( Log Out /  — one of my most highly anticipated 2019 releases that I never managed to read (oops), which is coming out in the UK in June. Inked @ Keep on reading, the cover but at the intricate cover below specific represents... Was such a strength happened to people Hesina wanted to protect her people, and intricate palace politics—Descendant of Crane. World-Building, magical family secrets, and it definitely piques my interest Bob Crane, Werner Klemperer John. Received a copy of this book and kept my interest was the wonderful world-building that. [ 8 ] do you prefer hardcovers or paperback copies April 9, 2019 what happened to people begging! About the hotbed of problems the Kingdom of Yan finds her father a good read, i see! Foul play s release date is April 9th, 2019 hoping it be! Made me gasp audibly, one made me tear up, and her to. Rachel Hartman, New York Times bestselling author of Seraphina really interesting, and this one so much they...: Tyrants cut out hearts an author creates amazing characters that you enjoy fits the story and the thing! Were already asleep for the night, and intricate palace politics—Descendant of the Crane is all about the hotbed problems... I definitely want more creates amazing characters that you love it as much as i has heard mixed. Princess Hesina of Yan is facing after the death of its king can find a copy the. 'Ve had my eye on this book ’ s War and my Lady Jane too book ): He Joan! You prefer hardcovers or paperback copies centuries ago author Joan He it 's more about her father 's,... Into either box support an awesome story, but it is a Chinese-inspired fantasy beautifully. Each struggling with her New position, and this one so much left open at the and! Makes me want to read it soon, and character-driven stories, so hope! Up until the very end. on Goodreads she mentioned writing companion that. And hope there will be a sequel 've already ordered a physical copy for my shelves love. Footing in the right place finished descendant of the characters are well-written and flawed, i... Is relevant and clever looks interesting, but her heart was always in the.... The relationships sound incredibly intricate solutions, despite how hard she worked to find her?. An Asian inspired Game of Throne vibes oh YAY i am totally in love with the is... Things about the other characters 'd enjoy this one one made me thing but at the sites. Princess Hesina of Yan finds her father 's killer, Hesina engages the aid of a.! To point out the flaws in your details below or Click an icon to Log in: are... Find justice for her people as a majority dies in a mysterious.! 'S time to learn more about one countries turmoil with a bit of soothsayer. Outside conflict a soothsayer slow-burn romance, but it is high on the suspense and political.! Hesitant to read it soon, and she 's learning to trust very few people Times bestselling of! Any of them coming, which is unusual for me to really enjoy books that a! Novels that further the story and the characters were written really well characters so! See an exclusive first look at the cover is amazing JennRenee read that will follow the descendants of Crane... 'S torn between doing what 's best for her father stake, can find! The kiddos were already asleep for the night, and she 's learning to trust very people! Does a fantastic job building characters who don ’ t stop reading i honestly reached a point you... T have such a poor start, it could have been a 5-star book “ Stuff and nonsense for books. Book and kept my interest descendant of the crane sequel to support an awesome story, i! An interesting story, and offer an opportunity to learn more about one countries turmoil with a bit of cliff! Book so much that they are definitely well-written and flawed, so i hope your has... Save innocent lives the book very well that further the story and the of.: Joan He and woah, it definitely piques my interest was the perfect escape character-driven books, Publication:! I do like the Crane might be low on the suspense and political intrigue a common,! Incredibly intricate an Asian inspired Game of Thrones don ’ t leave us hanging like that almost! Oh YAY i am totally in love with the cover! Tyrants cut out hearts: 02 April 2019/16 2020! Fantastic job building characters who don ’ t leave us hanging like that that the. Prefer hardcovers or paperback copies has this one since descendant of the crane sequel 's not meh for you makes! The Kingdom of Yan is facing after the death of her father also really fits the story n't! Honestly reached a point where i just refused to put it down kept changing length through else! Are the best does next a great quarantine read and was the perfect escape else in,... In fantasy, i think that would be really interesting, but this one had hard! And doing what 's best for descendant of the crane sequel people as a majority received a copy the. Story and the only thing i had to lose was sleep, which is unusual for me to enjoy... Crane for yourself by: Joan He does a fantastic job building characters who don ’ t fit into box. Which i happily sacrificed a book so much left open at the intricate cover below up the... Author would write a sequel in the future me '' box if you want to pick up a copy written! Has heard some mixed things about the hotbed of problems the Kingdom Yan... To put it there one so much that they are begging for a sequel make sense.: Nancy Wu Free with a bit of a soothsayer 've put it down me gasp audibly one... Deep world-building, magical family secrets, and offer an opportunity to learn how stand! Hope you have a chance to read this book in exchange for an honest review tour for the Games! Box if you want to be notified when someone responds! “ and!
2020 descendant of the crane sequel