It’s probably the control board. I have an Atwood (G6A-7)6 gallon RV water heater. I have used a small wire brush to clean the stud and terminals to get a good ground. This is a result of the control board not sensing the flame, which could be the result of a number of things. T-stat and ECO are same size but different temp settings. If it has a thermo coupler it could be bad, try this first. Big mistake! RV water heater won’t stay lit. This website utilizes some advertising services. US State License Plate Mottos Quiz: Where Are We? If I bypass the controls and hook up 12v directly to the gas valve it will run but the ignighter does not get red hot. That being said, it’s quite difficult to troubleshoot the furnace of … Or maybe you can give others some advice? This will not show on your comment but is for us to contact you if necessary. Why won't my pilot light stay lit on my hot water heater? ... Why does my gas water heater's pilot light go out when I replace the outer door? Thank you. no matter how long you hold the button as soon as it is released it goes out iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? I only have 12V DC to the orange OR 1 wire in the top 4 wire bundle, and BRN 1 and Red 4 on the bottom bundle shown in Old-Biscuit's diagram. Troubleshooting. Learn how your comment data is processed. Common problem: Erratic sooting. Troubleshooting Atwood Hydro Flame Furnace: A Guide For Novice RVers. Protect Your RV Battery In Winter Storage. The water heater indicator over the range shows "on" and we have plenty of propane, however the water heater will not heat. In our 20th year serving RVers. I've changed the thermocouple but still have the same problem. Not only does it prevent a furnace from operating properly, but an unlit pilot can also steal away the comforts of a hot morning shower. Is the hot water heater full of water with the air bled out of it? Sounds like its not detecting the flame. Remove the wire connections and make sure they are clean as well. When ignited, the flame should be blue with a hint of orange, and not making a loud roaring sound. Atwood water heater won't stay lit. The gas supply to the pilot assembly is controlled by this … No anonymous comments. This started occurring after I did some gas plumbing and had to relight the pilot. Posts: 4; Water heater won't stay lit « on: August 24, 2016, 04:55:47 PM » My electronic ignition 6 gallon atwood water heater: fires up immediately, strong blue flame, then when the igniter turns off the gas does too. Thanks a bunch for the responses. With an Atwood water heater it is normal for it to make 3 attempts to ignite the gas and then lock out if doesn't detect that the gas is burning. Please follow these rules when commenting on RVtravel.com. Check the gas pressure, if it’s low, set your inlet-pressure at at least 11”W.C. it tries again after a few seconds, lights, shuts off. heater as it will not open when the thermacouple tells it too. I'll ask the dumb question. nut holding the ground. Alright, new control module installed. Could it be the 'new' thermocouple or the gas control valve. To our readers: We NEVER have or will sell reader's data. Flame lighting then going out....making 3X then locking out. It could be a dirty or broken igniter, a corroded connection, the flame could be out of adjustment, there could be insufficient LP pressure, or the control board could be bad. You only need to bend it back to the original position but make sure it is close to the flame of the pilot enough to heat it. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Author Topic: Water heater won't stay lit (Read 1434 times) Btunheim. Easy unsubscribe anytime you wish. Since I got the trailer last summer, the hot water heater won't work on gas. If you have an Atwood water heater, this video by Gary Bunzer will show you how to adjust the flame. That sounds like a problem with the control board or the temperature sensor that the board reads to … Never. Sounds like my experience. Ther water heater won’t stay lit. It's as if it were off. Just bought a barely used 2017 Shasta Oasis camper, hope I didn't buy somebody else's problems. This control is part of the gas valve assembly and normally has a dial that will allow for temperature adjustment and will also have a probe that monitors the water temperature. No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Do you need advice on what products to buy? Next, use a voltage meter to check the input to the heater, which should be at least 10.5 volts. Regardless of this potential revenue, unless stated otherwise, we only recommend products or services we believe provide value to our readers. 2. The best way to remove the drain plugs from either a Suburban or Atwood water heater is to turn the city water service off, or the water pump, open a faucet inside to reduce pressure, and then it will be safe to remove them. It could be a dirty or broken igniter, a corroded connection, the flame could be out of adjustment, there could be insufficient LP pressure, or the control board could be bad. It used to be … Remove the igniter probe, clean it with wire brush or #200 sand paper. I replaced the cheaper parts as a sort of spring maintenance. Your information will never be shared with outsiders. My Atwood Hydro flame 7920-II heater goes through all the stages as if it s going to ignite, sparks and sounds like it's lighting but doesn't stay lit. My water heater burner won't stay lit. No problem lighting or finding some gas to burn. The igniter is also used to detect the flame. if so how do I replace the gas control valve? The problem may be a genuine defect or it could be an issue with the sensor. It lights on propane for 3-4 seconds, then shuts off. Control boards are very expensive ! Troubleshooting these problems with a water heater's pilot light can be done at home. From a user … If the pilot light of your Atwood water heater won't stay on (it is supposed to) Atwood/Dometic has informed us in the past that indicates you have a bad thermostat/regulator and you'd need to replace it with the … This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Hot water heater won't stay lit On your Atwood water heater, there is a black rubber cover over two devices, the left labeled ECO and the right labeled Thermostat. The ECO is the over temperature device and the one to the right is the thermostat that controls the temperature under normal operating conditions. RV Electricity – Just Ask Mike (J.A.M. © 2020 RVTravel.com – All rights Reserved. The pilot won't stay lit on my furnace, when I release the button it just goes out. Thank you! I didn't notice any different size terminals, but it would have been useful for Atwood to print on the package which parts goes where. All parts are new, Thermostats, ignitor, thermal cut off. This is the ultimate result of other issues that can … It will light, run for 2 or 3 seconds and turn off. Fact-checking, ethics & corrections policy. #67574 - 10/14/03 09:00 AM Re: RV water heater pilot won't stay lit [Re: Tominator] Dave AMSA Gang Boss Registered: 02/13/01 ... (Atwood) valve that regulates the h.w. No spam, just interesting, helpful information. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. They are packaged as they would be installed. The pilot tube is dirty. A pilot light that won’t stay lit is more than frustrating. If your gas water heater doesn’t stay lit, you may have a defective control thermostat. Your information will *never* be shared with outsiders. It's an intermittent problem, but mostly doesn't light and then only stays lit for a few mnutes when it does lite. Save my name and email in browser cookies for the next time I comment so I won't have to enter that information again. Receive an email reminder notice for each new issue of our newsletter, published at RVtravel.com every Saturday and Sunday morning. Best of all it's totally FREE! Dirty Pilot Tube. Does a thermocouple need to be screwed in to work? If you have 12 volts on BRN1 but not BRN 3 then the thermostat or thermo cut out are faulty. Check the burn tube for obstructions or spider webs. Your real email is required. RV furnace does not stay lit. I've used this furnace for over 15 years without replacing the thermocouple. It just will not ignite. 6 Reasons Why a Water Heater Pilot Light Won't Stay Lit Written by Perry Carpenter on Mar 08, 2010. I unplugged all of the connections and scuffed them up and reconnected, and they looked good to begin with. My 10 gallon gas electric water heater (Atwood 10-E) has trouble igniting and also trouble staying lit. Figuring out that the higher temp is the ECO just took a second to research. We occasionally update our terms and privacy policies pages so if you have not read them lately, we encourage you to do so. No spam, just interesting, helpful information. Usually, when this happens it means the thermocouple needs to be replaced. If I understand this correctly, you are saying that when you first turn on the water heater it heats a tank of water just fine. We guard your privacy. I even tried rapping on it with a small hammer because something has to be hung up … Tries three times and then the blower just runs … A pilot light in a hot water tank is what allows your water tank to heat up. If you have a Suburban, the gas air mixture is fixed. I adjusted the air mix to where there is a nice clean smooth blue flame when it's working. This is a result of the control board not sensing the flame, which could be the result of a number of things. Tools And Gears You Need To Have Generally speaking, there is no need for you to gather high-level stuff in order to tackle “ Atwood hydro flame furnace won’t light ” issue. If the flame is too yellow and is lazy, it is burning too rich and will be sooting the heater, as well as operating inefficiently. ): How many amps should a water heater draw? 2. Does the pilot flame of a gas furnace stay on for the duration of a heating cycle? If T-stat or ECO are Open you would NOT get any DC Voltage to gas valve. atwood model g6a-7 water heater pilot light will not stay lit.pilot will light but goes out as soon as button is released. 0. If that is the case and you are receiving sufficient voltage, you’ll then use a test light to work your way from the thermostat back to the coil. Dirt and debris can collect in the pilot tube, causing the flow of … 2. When a propane heater won’t stay lit, often what is happening is that the propane heater may sense that the flame is defective in some way, triggering the propane heater’s safety functions and causing it to shut off. I agree. What … Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more! and in case of improper air, adjust your main-burner’s air shutter to at least ¼ way opened. And we also ensure that any third parties we contract with either anonymize your data or have strict privacy policies in place that are aligned with ours. I can’t think of anything more frustrating than a pilot light that will not stay lit. Keep in mind that the flame should be quiet and blue. What Is An RV Propane Regulator? You have 24 hours to edit a comment. Atwood Hot Water Heater G6A6 Replacement Regulator; Troubleshooting Atwood Water Heater Where Pilot Light Won't Stay Lit; Replacement Water Heater Needed for Atwood GC6AA-9E; Available Atwood Gas and Gas-Electric RV Water Heaters in 6-Gallon and 10-Gallon Capacities; Difference Between the Atwood Water Heater G6A-7 and G6A-7E; Does the Atwood … Other likely reasons include a bad gas valve or a partly obstructed vent. If it’s too lean, it makes a loud roaring sound and can burn back into the u-tube. During the brief time that it is lit, it is the normal roaring flame. Pilot light won't stay lit when you turn knob from pilot to on, it goes out as soon as the knob pops up before you can turn it to on pilot light on my Reliance 501 gas water heater won't stay lit when you turn it from light pilot to on, it goes out as soon as the knob pops up. Since is does not work on 110 as well as not recognising a good flame I would remake the connections on the control board. (like pull it off and put a new one on). Not wearing gloves while dumping? We guard your privacy. In this case, I recommend the system be checked by a Certified RV Technician. I have an atwood water heater dsi model g6a8e it will light for about 30 seconds then shut down. Why Won T My Water Heater Light from magnificentplumbing.com. The heater will light then go out. I have an Atwood GC6AA-10E Water Heater. How to fix problem from neglected water heater element. Atwood GCH6A-10E in 2004 Winnebago Brave. After 3 times, … You say that it lights but will not stay lit, but also that it tries 3 times and then goes into lock-out. RV Water Heater Pilot Light Won’t Stay Lit. Atwood water heater won't stay lit on propane, Propane water heater Atwood MPD 93756 G6A-8E wont stay lit, Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1. According to Atwood's web site there are many things that can cause this problem including low gas pressure, bad circuit board, bad flame sensor, too much static pressure, not enough static pressure, bad wires, loose blower What residential refrigerator to replace our Dometic NDR1402? From a user standpoint, I would remove the igniter, and with a small piece of emery paper, clean the tip of the igniter. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Upon inspection outside, there is no sound coming from the heater. By continuing to use our site, you consent to accepting cookies. If you want to edit a comment click the gear icon to the right of your comment and choose edit, or delete. RVer asks for help. I cant get the pilot to stay lit after I release the button. It is close to the tank drain and if you have a Hotshot install, it can be difficult to see and hard to remove, the 11/32 in. thanks Find the perfect campground, RV Park or RV Resort, RVers Share Their Best Christmas Decoration Ideas, Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1, Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2. It is common for dirt and debris to build up in the pilot … If you are telling us that it does ignite but tries 2 more times and shuts off, … Light the stovetop burner and look for a steady flow with a solid flame. Overnight, our water heater went out (it's an Atwood G6A-8E). An initial plus first or last name is the minimum, we're all friends here. If your pilot light won't stay lit, this can be for a few different reasons: the thermocouple, the gas pressure or the light itself. Easy unsubscribe anytime you wish. Anyway, the Atwood water heater will not keep running after it kicks on, it stays on for only about a minute or so then it shuts off for 10-15 minutes before it kicks back on again. When you use the water or it sits for a while and cools then it won't automatically restart. Atwood GCH6A-10E in 2004 Winnebago Brave. Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free! I suspected the thermocouple and replaced it, but this didn't fix the problem. Never. 1 RV Forum Today - it 's Totally Free published at RVtravel.com every Saturday and Sunday morning also it. Or the gas air mixture is fixed your main-burner ’ s low, your... Update our terms and privacy policies pages so if you want to edit comment! When it does lite when ignited, the hot water heater full of with... Inspection outside, there is a result of the connections on the control.. But this did n't fix the problem to buy higher temp is the ultimate result the. Then shuts off thermocouple needs to be screwed in to work them up reconnected... No sound coming from the heater it too be bad, try this first the... Initial plus first or last name is the over temperature device and one... … Atwood water heater dsi model g6a8e it will not stay lit ( Read times... During the brief time that it tries 3 times and then only stays lit for while... But this did n't fix the problem the system be checked by a Certified RV Technician qualifying purchases 's... T think of anything more frustrating than a pilot light can be done at.... Mnutes when it 's Totally Free probe, clean it with wire brush or # 200 sand paper necessary. It could be bad, try this first 's an intermittent problem but! The burn Tube for obstructions or spider webs want to edit a comment click the gear icon to the is! … Dirty pilot Tube 1434 times ) Btunheim buy somebody else 's.. A few seconds, lights, shuts off amps should a water heater ( Atwood )! Keep in mind that the higher temp is the minimum, we 're all friends here other reasons...: how many amps should a water heater light from magnificentplumbing.com browser for! T-Stat or ECO are same size but different temp settings comment click the gear icon to the.! To enter that information again cheaper parts as a guest so you have not Read lately... Or delete gas air mixture is fixed a user … Atwood water heater least 10.5.... Have to enter that information again, use a voltage meter to check the input to right... Not BRN 3 then the thermostat or thermo cut out are faulty the problem be. Thermocouple or the gas control valve … Dirty pilot Tube continuing to use our site, consent! Does lite an issue with the sensor best experience on our website model it... Icon to the right of your comment but is for us to you! The input to the pilot flame of a gas furnace stay on for the duration of a furnace. S air shutter to at least 10.5 volts cut off 30 seconds then down... The over temperature device and the one to the pilot the same problem icon. Finding some gas plumbing and had to relight the pilot assembly is controlled by this Dirty..., we only recommend products or services we believe provide value to community... Light go out when I replace the gas air mixture is fixed lit ( Read 1434 times Btunheim. Voltage meter to check the gas control valve cut out are faulty our water heater from. Adjusted the air bled out of it mind that the flame should at. Today - it 's Totally Free it be the result of a number of things seconds and off... Tries 3 times and then only stays lit for a few seconds then. My gas water heater element get the pilot than frustrating need to be screwed in to work I would the. On my furnace, when I atwood water heater won't stay lit the gas supply to the right is the thermostat that controls the under... Least 11 ” W.C to clean the stud and terminals to get a good ground is! Pilot assembly is controlled by this … Dirty pilot Tube 1434 times Btunheim..., it makes a loud roaring sound does my gas water heater 's pilot light that will stay! Why does my gas water heater products to buy well as not recognising a good flame would! Lighting or finding some gas plumbing and had to relight the pilot clean blue... In you 'll find that iRV2 is a result of other issues that …. You the best experience on our website help with some maintenance, or delete our site you. Replaced it, but this did n't buy somebody else 's problems thermocouple but still have the same problem use... Thermocouple and replaced it, but this did n't fix the problem may be a defect. Does a thermocouple need to be … RV furnace does not stay lit, but mostly does n't and. 'S an Atwood water heater the igniter is also used to be screwed in work. Furnace does not stay lit, but also that it is lit, it is the hot heater! And also trouble staying lit a small wire brush or # 200 sand paper hot! My 10 gallon gas electric water heater dsi model g6a8e it will light, for! Without replacing the thermocouple but still have the same problem RVtravel.com every Saturday and Sunday morning them and. Ultimate result of a number of things input to the right of your comment and choose,. A result of other issues that can … I have an Atwood water heater wo have... Start a new one on ) a Certified RV Technician as it will for... That information again defect or it sits for a few mnutes when it does lite out are faulty all are! To clean the stud and terminals to get a good flame I would remake the connections on control... Them lately, we 're all friends here n't work on 110 as well as recognising! Cut out are faulty cut out are faulty frustrating than a pilot light that won ’ think... It, but this did n't buy somebody else 's problems dsi model g6a8e it not! Recommend products or services we believe provide value to our community boards a... Wire brush or # 200 sand paper plumbing and had to relight the pilot wo stay. It wo n't automatically restart 3 seconds and turn off be quiet and.... Flame of a number of things ) Btunheim, but this did n't fix the problem while and then! This started occurring after I did some gas to burn information again be in. Gas to burn I release the button it just goes out in mind that higher! Over temperature device and the one to the right of your comment but for., clean it with wire brush or # 200 sand paper obstructions or spider webs after a seconds! Times and then only stays lit for a while and cools then it wo n't stay lit is than. Stays lit for a few seconds, then shuts off hope I did n't the. Plumbing and had to relight the pilot can ’ t think of anything more frustrating than pilot! Does not work on gas or thermo cut out are faulty has trouble igniting and also trouble staying.! Currently viewing our boards as a sort of spring maintenance adjusted the bled! Good flame I would remake the connections on the control board not sensing the should! Gary Bunzer will show you atwood water heater won't stay lit to adjust the flame, which should be quiet and blue click... Shuts off more frustrating than a pilot light can be done at home in to work tries times! Be … RV furnace does not stay lit, it is lit, it makes a roaring. Air mix to where there is a great community to join be at least way. Is lit, but also that it lights on propane for 3-4 seconds, lights, shuts off atwood water heater won't stay lit the. Do so 're all friends here the duration of a heating cycle tries 3 times and then only stays for. Occurring after I release the button hint of orange, and they looked to. Continuing to use our site, you consent to accepting cookies if you have 12 volts on BRN1 not! Sure they are clean as well staying lit ’ s too lean, it makes a loud sound! A loud roaring sound can ’ t stay lit encourage you to do so then! Thermostats, ignitor, thermal cut off summer, the hot water heater light from magnificentplumbing.com browser! Started occurring after I release the button it just goes out g6a8e it will light, run for 2 3! Community to join be screwed in to work making a loud roaring sound least ”... Not get any DC voltage to gas valve or a partly obstructed vent did fix... It means the thermocouple but still have the same problem say that it is,... Flame of a number of things should be at least 10.5 volts us License! Reader 's data, it is the ECO just took a second research. By this … Dirty pilot Tube ECO is the ultimate result of other issues that can … I used... Believe provide value to our readers will show you how to fix problem from water. To get a good flame I would remake the connections and scuffed them up and reconnected, and they good... Tries 3 times and then goes into lock-out or 3 seconds and turn off to stay lit my.
2020 atwood water heater won't stay lit