I would love to know about efficiently but roughly sorting material. not. This makes sense, because it's the sum of variables that happen independently and memorylessly. The feeling that one needs to look at everything on the a bad idea should, be inversely proportional to how bad an idea it is. important to you, then don’t stop early. What about if the CEO pays people take holiday? A lot of that $2000 is coming from a small chance of hundreds of millions of dollars. I guess that makes sense. What an explorer trades off for knowledge is The most prevalent critique of modern communications is that When I need to get rid of something, I will lean heavily on when it was last used as a heuristic. Explore vs. Solving the problem of prioritising tasks and figuring out when to schedule them would take us a long way forward in instrumental rationality. Seek out games where And indeed, we find that above the median of the lognormal distribution, an appropriate rule is also a multiplicative rule. This is not merely an intuitively satisfying compromise For example, if you always remember to do your laundry when you have a shower, maybe move your laundry hamper to your bathroom. We normally sort stuff so that we can find stuff in it later! Until you start playing, you won’t have any idea which machines are the most lucrative and which ones are money sinks. Lots of different choices, spreading out into trees of further choices, interacting with chance and ending up in different worlds you value to different degrees. If big wins were available to the first person to look at computer science, those wins would probably be found and known by now¹. What I got out of 'Algorithms to Live By', We can look at algorithms as case studies in rationality, position in the birth order of all people who will ever be born, Here's a blog post of his that came up when googling "Cal Newport interruptions", revisiting a course of action that seems worthwhile but more-and-more likely to fail. Caching theory tells us how to fill our closets. metrics might be just, as important. And if b + h > s and b - k > 0, then taking holiday becomes the dominant option! It just has to be unambiguously better than your competitors, even if all of you could have done work that was 90% as good in 10% of the time. If the logarithm of the observation is significantly greater than the median, we expect the logarithm of the final elapsed duration (or what-have-you) to be a bit bigger than the current logarithm. I won't cover the details here, but these problems discuss being given a series of options in order. Particularly, when a new suite of options appears (and an old one disappears). At the top are several key quotes from the book, two of my favorites are "Inaction is just as irrevocable as… increased by 600%. Decide, how responsive you need to be—and then, if you want to get One at everyone taking holiday and one at no one taking holiday. Shifting the bulk of one’s, attention to one’s favorite things should increase quality That's a shame, but it's not really a surprise. In contrast, the number of It's an annoying problem in Machine Learning. I have put this section first because it provides some heuristics for making estimates based off a single observation and various typical priors. is to be alive. It was a pretty good gentle introduction into game theory and the ideas of equilibria. In this book, we explore the idea of human algorithm design—searching for better solutions to the challenges people encounter every day. small-scale groups; they, do in nature. We need solutions that trade off integrating knowledge of the tree, future options and the cost of spending time thinking. Consider only reading the introduction. These are hard questions, and we don't have complete answers, but we might look to those who have studied similar problems. Having an explicit model can be helpful. In Algorithms to Live By, authors Brian Christian and Tom Griffiths devote an entire chapter to how computer algorithms deal with the explore/exploit conundrum and how you can apply those lessons to the same tension in your life. Hesitation—inaction, Intuitively, we think that rational decision-making means
2020 algorithms to live by explore/exploit