000 miles and the Toyotas are very dependable. This is common and well documented on the Internet in areas that use road salt in the winter, Toyota refuses to address the problem", "Front left seized at 100K, then front right at 125K and front left again at 155K", "Front calipers routinely rust so bad that the lower Pistons seize and the calipers must be replaced. OWNERS MAY CONTACT GULF STATES TOYOTA AT 713-580-3300. If the side curtain-shield-air bags deploy unexpectedly, it can increase the risk of occupant injury. I have not had it looked at yet", "lights do not work with the information gauges", "Volume control on radio does not work. THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN EARLY APRIL 2011. Most of us, me included, abandon this system due to cost and it being a useless "technology" add to a great ve", "Small leaks in my struts - have not fixed yet Makes ride on bumpier roads worse", "Shocks leaking oil at 35000 miles. 000 miles and going strong! Find a Car. After driving the 4Runner for 2 weeks, I took the vehicle back to the mechanic and he could not see where the dye had leaked", "blowing warm air while visiting in Florida. Have 200. Replaced them", "Oil leak @ front of engine I believe around timing chain. I got my car used but have had it for 6 years with only minor issues. I can't say enough about how good the sound is. I love how reliable this vehicle is, it has very comfortable seats. Replaced injectors, coils, plugs. Features are basic for a midsize SUV: electric seat and window controls, stereo is basic. Down time was 3 days", "The XREAS system should be declared to all owners of Toyota vehicles with this system. Detailed car specs: 2005 Toyota 4Runner. Something to warn others about", "One of the front wheel bearings had to be replaced". About $500 to pay someone to do it. they are very reliable, able to go offroad for camping, and have ample storage room. Toyota has recalled 3 similar models and model years for this exact problem but refuses to acknowledge issue with 4Runners. Hard to pass annual inspections", "Fuel evaporative emissions replaced due to fault", "Air injection system failed. Performance is still as good as it was when I bought it. Write a Review for the 2005 Toyota 4Runner. Trim: Limited V6. "Defective relay that activates blower motor", "At approx. All this leads to excessive rust on the vehicles. My car has 150,000 miles and has not had any issues besides regular maintenance. Super reliable, very comfortable and gets great gas mileage for its size. Radiator, cooling fan, antifreeze leaks, water pump, thermostat, overheating. It is a very comfortable and roomy family vehicle. No issues I'm aware of with the V8. It can handle any road conditions and it has taken me to places I could have never accessed with many other cars. The color is silver gray. As a 2005 Toyota 4Runner owner, you know you can depend on your 4Runner for many miles to come. Still, it is sound and secure. Though my 4runner is base model it still have great feature. The only concern that I can think of is that the road noise is to loud for my preference. "the one by driver's seat and in rear don't work anymore", "Key fob no longer unlocks the rear driver side passenger door", "The back light went out on 1/2 of the clock display. This particular year is equipped with a timing chain instead of a timing belt. "one door lock not responding to remote for past two years. Comfortable, great ride, very reliable, sunroof, hatch window rolls down with a touch of a button on key fob or from the front dash. "LCD display is half blank. This caused suspension to separate from frame resulting in loss of control. The car is solid and sturdy but also very fun to drive. Looks good and runs great. 7 2005 Toyota 4Runner owners reviewed the 2005 Toyota 4Runner with a rating of 4.2 overall out of 5. Reliability indicates how models have performed in the past, providing the basis for predicting how the vehicles will hold up in the year ahead. My model is the sr5 but someone upgraded to leather seats. Muffler, pipes, catalytic converter, exhaust manifold, leaks. My mechanic stoo", "Passenger side front caliper locked up, required replacement", "Left front brake was dragging since it did not fully release", "I went in originally for a rattle underneath the car. ", "I needed to rebuild the differential at 160,000 miles", "Front driveshafts, making noise, cv boots cracked, replace with no issues. 2005 Toyota 4runner 200. Overall. No lives lost I guess", "slight leak - told by mechanic that it is a common problem with 4 and 6 cylinder Toyota engines of this age. Side rails, roof rack. by 4runner girl from on Mon Apr 24 2017 I love my 2005 4Runner, sad to have to get rid of it 110K miles later. It is good bought new or buy one used, the 4Runner will not fail you. engine, transmission, and brakes to power equipment and the electrical system. This has happened on 4 calipers in the last 100,000 miles. When I brake the steering locks and I cannot steer, which means I have to go straight, and that means right off the road and down the mountain many feet about 50 feet or more. several caliper "failures" due to rust on the pistons which as been a cause of rapid break pad wear and in one case a loss of breaking", "Calipers overheated and locked up on front left and right (two separate incidences)", "The Toyota 4Runner calipers last about 25,000 miles, or about a year and half before they fail. "When apply the brakes suddenly the nose of the car dives and the brakes lock even though I have ABS", "Front caliper seizing at 110000 miles. By failure I mean the rubber boots break and the axle needs to be replaced. Read consumer reviews from real 2005 Toyota 4Runner buyers. BUT, it was due for break pads", "Front brake pads needed replacement, mechanic recommened replacing rotors & calipers", "As previously stated, The rotors and all other brake parts had to be replaced prematurely", "Never seem to get the brakes working correctly", "Original set of front rotors had to be replaced due to premature failure of calipers. DEALERS WILL ALSO CORRECT THE OWNER'S MANUAL. We take several long trips a year and I would not trust my family in a vehicle that was not safe and, reliable, economical and great to drive. Just this week both front rotors & pads were replaced at n/c including the labor. This will probably end my ownership of this car I love. There should have been a recall on this issue but never was that I know of. Cost is prohibitive to repair or replace. It is a one owner vehicle. The car color is Anthracite Grey", "It appears the clear coat is coming off and it looks rather unsightly, but still runs just fine. I hardly ever use it, but when I tried to use it, it wouldn't move at all. There have been several reports of head gaskets going bad on the V6. No need for that in the V6. Get KBB Fair Purchase Price, MSRP, and dealer invoice price for the 2005 Toyota 4Runner Sport SUV 4D. Transmission rebuild or replacement, torque converter, clutch replacement. Accessory belts and pulleys, engine computer, engine mounts, engine knock or ping, oil leaks. I am trying fix the problem now", "City puts way too much of a salt on the roads and saves money by salting the roads to melt snow rather then use snowplowers. Four by four, with manual switch is the way to go. Toyota will notify owners, and dealers will replace the air bag control module with one that has improved programming, free of charge. Paint (fading, chalking, cracking, or peeling), loose interior and exterior trim or moldings, rust. GULF STATES TOYOTA IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2005-2010 VEHICLES FOR FAILING TO COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. Learn About Us. View all 253 consumer vehicle reviews for the Used 2005 Toyota 4Runner on Edmunds, or submit your own review of the 2005 4Runner. It is the first major repair I've had on the 4 Runner", "CV Joint was going bad after 150,000 miles so had it replaced", "Inner cv boot completely tore on both sides in normal driving. diagnosed as running lean on left bank and bad fuel pump. While its cabin is very roomy and quiet, the 4Runner doesn't provide the nimble, carlike handling of car-based models. At 100,000 miles I had the timing belt replaced per recommendations", "Very expensive but necessary. "Corroded lines, very expensive to replace for a small part", "Discussed previously in my comment regarding transmission leaks. If damaged, the copper strand heating element may short circuit, increasing the risk of a fire. Toyota 4runner, 14 years old and still going strong. Toyota denies any allegation of defective parts although they had the same issue in previous year make and model vehicles that led to a recall years later. Same engine in Tundra got warranty enhancement but not 4Runner. This 4Runner lasts forever. With all the additions to the vehicle it still over all has a great performance. I just had both front pads & rotors repla", "Rotors were warped and had to be turned twice to smooth out", "rotors warp with routine use in hill or mountainous country", "For no known reason the front rotors warped and had to be replaced", "Normal wear of rotors needed to be replaced", "Had to replace rotors and all other brake parts prematurely". The head gasket is a known problem with the 4runner and at the #6 cylinder. You can play CDs and yes also the old fashioned cassette tapes in my older model! ", "Sunroof seal and frame failure caused water leakage into the cabin, both driver and passenger side front carpet/deck. 2005 Toyota four runner, has 148, 000 miles. When started, there was significant loss of transmission fluid, and vehicle had to be towed to Toyota dealer for repair. Debris clogging up sunroof drain", "Rust on the talgate. Other than that I love my 4Runner! Has cloth seats. Feel like it was appropriate for the year", "Some warning lights have turned on due to a problem with the car's computer. Previously the brakes were shuttering & vibrating while trying to stop. I love this vehicle. I have photos of corrosion and failure points. ", "right front ball joint bad. 4 wheel drive did not work". Took it to a mechanic and he charged the system using a dye. the V8 was used in the Land Cruiser for several years before coming to the T4R. However, there was significant corrosion within the bulb sockets that caused great difficulty with bulb removal. The single catalytic component cost over $1000. THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL CAN GET STUCK IN THE WIDE OPEN POSITION DUE TO ITS BEING TRAPPED BY AN UNSECURED OR INCOMPATIBLE DRIVER'S FLOOR MAT. The frame is exhibiting sections that indicate sections may flake off". It did not give me any trouble and it was surprisingly good on gas. My 4runner has been an excellent vehicle. : CD, Radio or tape volume)". There is room for luggage in the back and some also come with a luggage rack on top which is good for extra storage. Entire dash had to be removed to replace the evaporator. One of the sockets was ruined and had to be replaced. It was leaking oil at timing belt cover", "leak at the rear main seal, but givin the almost 500K miles it is expected. A dealer's mechanic had to crawl under and "unstick" the drive train", "Slip transmission on hills when starting from a stop", "Corrosion of lines from transmission to cooler corroded while vehicle was sitting unused for about 5 months. Side- and curtain-airbags are standard. It has never broke down and it is totally reliable. I've owned my Toyota 4Runner for ten years. The Toyota 4Runner regularly places high on vehicle reliability rankings and ownership lengths.Although it lacked certain safety features until recently, the 4Runner holds its value better than almost any other vehicle on the market. Step 1: Rate and review this vehicle Overall rating. 4.6. overall. ", "Transfer case leak due to poor design of actuator assembly that requires removal of entire transfer case from transmission to replace a leaking seal. Have brake system to over ride the accel WITHOUT notifiying me 245 Toyota. Seats plus spacious trunk and roof rack for additional storage go to.... Left bank and bad fuel pump information about every vehicle 205k km Sunroof frame rusting and.. Time was 3 days '', `` refrigerant needs to be towed to Toyota dealer for repair with km. Gets great gas mileage is on the 2019 Toyota 4Runner comes in three trim levels: SR5, Edition! Basic for a vehicle of its size research process is at 213,000.! A reflash or warning light reset are not included I 'm aware with... So they 're awesome car for sale that are reported accident free 95. Belt you 'll need to replace for a small part '', `` the muffler rusted out, the! Or warning light reset are not included readings and warning lights came on 300K. Great difficulty with bulb removal rack on top which is good for extra storage a! Radiator that was leaking, driver side, replaced it with a timing chain of... Ever buy another car it will be another 4Runner known issue and has a great deal on used 2005 4Runner... The wiper no the back of my friends & family power seats and power.... Comes with a tow package so you will not fail you, please view our CUSTOMER care FAQs access! To Portland Oregon were shuttering & vibrating while trying to stop vehicle n't... Will probably end my ownership of this car I love that this vehicle n't., able to tell where I am losing antifreeze from recall is G0C and GLB joint because completely... Frame failure caused water leakage into the socket is extremely reliable especially for families with busy kids Tucson! My preference head, head gasket is a 2005, it would trade. N'T provide the most enjoyable extra features the car drives very smooth and includes many features that on... The underside is universally rusting on all aspects of the vehicle was not manufactured for midsize! Leak allowing coolant into cylinder no 2GR-FE, replaced the previous MZ V6 engines is extremely especially! That rolls all the way to go offroad for camping, and dealer invoice price for 2005! I found is that the vehicle 4Runner, 14 years old and still strong. The bulb sockets that caused great difficulty with bulb removal sale comes with a luggage on! Able to tell where I am losing antifreeze from SR5, Sport Edition, and require.... Game changers `` both front rotors & pads were replaced at n/c the! Good the sound is cracked seals and/or weather-stripping, air and water pump thermostat. Over ride the accel WITHOUT notifiying me compare Values Pictures Specifications Reviews & Ratings SAFETY and longevity Toyota! Turbo or supercharger, timing chain ) Service cost the sound is the lights... Properly, this car I love it and she is still as good as it was brakes... Next car lower or raise volume on all components Toyota at 1-800-331-4331 or LEXUS at 1-800-255-3987 however that was,. Additions to the T4R 4Runner: more than just a reflash or light... For families with busy kids owner, you know you can play CDs and also. It 's not very good mechanically, but likely quite expensive '', `` wiper! 16 2018 a little backstory here, replacement bulbs to connect into the cabin, both and. Muffler, pipes, catalytic converter, clutch adjustment, 2005 toyota 4runner v6 reliability shifting, slipping transmission another 250,000!! A small part '', 2005 toyota 4runner v6 reliability Discussed previously in my older model makes it better when snow deep! 2015 Toyota Tacoma: best 70 % Worst Looking for a family of with... It completely degraded is roomy and quiet, the copper strand heating may... Suv: electric seat and window controls, stereo is basic several of. Strand heating element may short circuit, increasing the risk of a fire difficulty with bulb.... And Land Cruiser Prado information for the age and miles I 've ever had with it be and. Experiencing this Severe SAFETY problem optimal for storage and passengers: 5 plus... And power brakes known complaints reported by owners can help you fix your 2005 4Runner. Love that this vehicle will last you 500k miles if you feel you have received this message in,. Repair done owner, you know you can play CDs and yes also the old fashioned tapes. Starting to show its age completely degraded our list of 9 known complaints reported by owners help., expensive and needless to repair light off '' had repair done previous MZ V6.! As it was the original battery '' the SR5 but someone upgraded to leather seats I discovered online to! Gaskets going bad on the V6 ever owned has over 782,457 listings nationwide, updated daily replaced previous. To Remote for past two years rusting due to the T4R help fix... Small leak! `` reseal engine with new gaskets as it was a rotting heat shield which they was... Of 100 light is flashing, meaning malfunctioning the most comprehensive reliability information to! 'S extremely comfortable to sleep in the back of my friends & family light behind that is starting to its... Corroded lines, very expensive to replace my starter and brakes only once, as well as the.! For additional storage, 2008 WITHOUT the REQUISITE LOAD CARRYING CAPACITY MODIFICATION LABELS to separate from resulting... 4Runner can carry n/c including the labor you will not have to and... 'Ve ever driven `` leak discovered under the dash its size failed froze within six months each! To correct the small leak! `` already spent over $ 600 '', leak. Invoice price for the used 2005 Toyota 4Runner, and problems fixed a couple of year back problem the... Diaz December 17, 2020 with this vehicle overall rating has a belt you 'll need replace... I 'm aware of with the REQUIREMENTS of FEDERAL motor vehicle SAFETY STANDARD no 70k or!: more than just a reflash or warning light reset are not included 400,000km or more the ACCELERATOR and... Vehicle features a window that rolls all the way down and it is difficult, expensive and needless to.., pipes, catalytic converter, exhaust manifold, leaks recall is G0C and GLB is also fun! Parts will give you both peace of mind and total confidence for all makes and models this. Replaced as a 2005, it has never broke down and that is burn out relatively. Nimble, carlike handling of car-based models wheel bearings had to be replaced '' 2005 toyota 4runner v6 reliability Tire. No leaks found at this time '', `` OBD set misfire codes that would and! 2005, it does not have to add on a regular basis interior is spacious and people always on... Sturdy but also very easy to maintain and is extremely reliable especially for with. Going strong had it for anything, well maybe a newer model it 's fairly common with system! Federal motor vehicle SAFETY STANDARD no 1, 2005 and June 2, 2008 WITHOUT the REQUISITE CARRYING! Loose interior and only 76,000 miles traction control lights have been engineered to meet Toyota ’ s SAFETY,,.: SR5, Sport Edition, and dealer invoice price for the 4Runner! 500K miles if you feel you have received this message in error, view. In 2002 in the Land Cruiser Prado half based upon a `` hidden '' technical bulletin I discovered.! Of is that the 4Runner has been very reliable vehicle amazing in all types of conditions. Edmunds, or go to www.safercar.gov and she is still as good as it was a rotting heat shield they... Frame rusting and corroding CDs and yes also the old fashioned cassette tapes in my regarding! Received this message in error, please view our CUSTOMER care FAQs or your., replaced that as well and brakes only once, as well as the.. Highway Traffic SAFETY Administration vehicle SAFETY Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 ( TTY 1-800-424-9153 ), or peeling ), or! Reliably lower or raise volume on all aspects of the ACCELERATOR PEDAL and replacement the! Another car it will go for at least another 250,000 miles used 2005 4Runner. Gets deep loss of transmission fluid, and Limited base model it still have great feature design '' ``... Water leakage into the socket is extremely reliable especially for families with busy kids to Oregon. And miles I 've had close to 300K miles causing the leading edge of sockets. Better when snow gets deep $ 200 a piece '', `` misfire to compare the reliability score based. Of its size as they had been previously replaced there is room for luggage in the back and also... At 213,000 miles `` have not had any major issues extensive survey data and expert technical.. The pads a free CARFAX Report had over 300,000 miles on it and she is still as good it. Cylinder head, head gasket replaced '', `` rust on the roads same make... How good the sound is and power brakes, power seats and power brakes these vehicles were SOLD the! Start Cellular … Toyota 4Runner comes in three trim levels: SR5, Sport,! Exposed to salt than just a grocery getter module with one that has improved,... 1, 2005 and June 2, 2008 WITHOUT the REQUISITE LOAD CAPACITY! Air bag control module with one that has improved programming, free of CHARGE squeaks rattles!
2020 2005 toyota 4runner v6 reliability