Pauline Epistles "You shall surely die, Ahimelech, you and your father's house!" Johannine Writings I will praise You forever, because You have done it; and in the presence of Your saints I will wait on Your name, for it is good. Wisdom Literature iii. d. All of you have conspired against me … there is not one of you who is sorry for me: In his fleshly, self-focused world, everything revolves around Saul. Psalm 57 shows a heart of trusting praise to the LORD: I will praise You, O LORD, among the peoples; I will sing to You among the nations … Be exalted, O God, above the heavens; let Your glory be above all the earth. In the lesser way, David's lying to Ahimelech made the priest more vulnerable than ever before Saul. ", a. Thank you for registering. Blue Letter Bible study tools make reading, searching and studying the Bible easy and rewarding. They wanted something different, and something better, and God called them to David at Adullam cave. d. And there were about four hundred men with him: When David was down and discouraged in Adullam Cave, God brought people around him to strengthen him in the work. Judah — Go and shew thyself in the land of Judah, that thou mayest publicly put in thy claim to the kingdom after Saul's death; and that thy friends may be invited and encouraged to appear on thy behalf. The consequences of unjustified personal suffering do not mean that You have turned away from us in our sufferings. Pauline Epistles Usernames should only contain letters, numbers, dots, dashes, or underscores. David was restored, but there was still bad fruit to come of the lies, and now David sees and tastes that bad fruit. As a result of his fear, he made a number of mistakes. God doesn't work through mobs. So Ahimelech answered the king and said, "And who among all your servants is as faithful as David, who is the king's son-in-law, who goes at your bidding, and is honorable in your house? He simply and honestly says, "Let not the king impute anything to his servant.". Major Prophets Scripture David was now a fugitive on the run from King Saul. "Look at all the help Ahimelech gave David! conservative Christian faith, which includes a firm belief in the inerrancy Then Saul said to him, "Why have you conspired against me, you and the son of Jesse, in that you have given him bread and a sword, and have inquired of God for him, that he should rise against me, to lie in wait, as it is this day?" And they all came to the king. play dough for each student, Tell the Story Follow along with me as we use our dough to tell today’s story 1. THE BOOK OF 1 SAMUEL Lesson 8: Chapters 22-24 David the Outlaw • Previous • 1 Samuel Study List • Next. e. David had his followers, and so does the Son of David, Jesus Christ. (Clarke) "A bloody sentence, harshly pronounced and as rashly executed, without any pause or deliberation, without any remorse or regret. He commands the death of priests of the LORD. Psalm 57 shows David with a prayerful heart: I will cry out to God Most High, to God who performs all things for me. 23 Abide thou with me, fear not: for he that seeketh my life seeketh thy life: but with me thou shalt be in safeguard. Before the Flood — After the Flood — Now one of the sons of Ahimelech the son of Ahitub, named Abiathar, escaped and fled after David. And he commands the death of their families. (1Sa 22:5) David hears from the prophet Gad. But David abode … ii. (1Sa 22:11-15) Saul accuses Ahimelech of conspiracy with David. After Samuel’s … Secondly, it shows a wonderful obedience. 4. Stay with me; do not fear. -------------------- Major Prophets e. The LORD brought David into this place while He was still in Adullam cave. Abide not — Do not shut up thyself here. Memorize the following 15 periods of Bible history. Poetical Books Saul was reluctant to kill the enemies of the LORD when he was commanded to (1 Samuel 15:9). Luke-Acts ", The servants of the king would not lift their hands to strike the priests of the LORD, So Doeg the Edomite turned and struck the priests, I knew that day, when Doeg the Edomite was there, that he would surely tell Saul, I have caused the death of all the persons of your father's house, David Guzik :: Génesis 14 – Abram Rescata a Lot y Conoce a Melquisedec, G1 - alpha - Strong's Greek Lexicon (KJV), David Guzik :: Hechos 9 – La Conversión de Saulo de Tarso, David Guzik :: 1 Corintios 7 – Principios Sobre el Matrimonio y la Soltería, A Summary of Each Bible Book - Study Resources, Chuck Smith :: Sermon Notes for Matthew 7:6, David Guzik :: Génesis 3 – La tentación y caída del hombre, Jehovah's Witnesses, Jesus and the Holy Trinity (Walter Martin), Ezekiel 36-39 (1979-82 Audio) (Chuck Smith), Revelation 10-12 (1982-85 Audio) (Chuck Smith), 2 Chronicles 14-18 (1979-82 Audio) (Chuck Smith). 10. he inquired of the Lord for him--Some suppose that this was a malicious fiction of Doeg to curry favor with the king, but Ahimelech seems to acknowledge the fact. Blue Letter Bible offers several daily devotional readings in order to help you refocus on Christ and the Gospel of His peace and righteousness. The Old Testament David, being driven from Achish, returns into the land of Israel to be hunted by Saul. It is a song of: 1. The Whole Bible When David came to Ahimelech, the priest questioned him carefully (Why are you alone, and no one is with you, 1 Samuel 21:1). And the Lord tells David that if he stays, the people will betray him to Saul, In other words, the Lord is telling David he must flee to save himself, This city is not to become a refuge for David, It was God’s will that David remain on the run from Saul, This is an important footnote on our earlier analysis of David’s godly leadership, It would be natural to assume too much about this victory, That since God sent David up against this city and delivered a great victory that therefore the Lord was also prepared to defend David against Saul, David could have made that assumption without even seeking the Lord’s counsel. Saul knew that David came from a family of simple farmers, so he calls him by the humblest name he can think of - the son of Jesse. Then answered Doeg the Edomite, who was set over the servants of Saul, and said, "I saw the son of Jesse going to Nob, to Ahimelech the son of Ahitub. These 400 men sensed that David was the rightful king, and that Saul was just a pretender to the throne. Minor Prophets 1. Major Prophets Minor Prophets i. Even though David did not have a problem-free home life, he knew he was still obligated to obey the fifth commandment: Honor your father and your mother (Exodus 20:12). Saul thinks of himself as the victim! DOEG ACCUSES AHIMELECH. This probably wasn't what David really wanted to hear, but he obeyed anyway. range of evangelical traditions, all of the ideas and principles conveyed Will the city defend David or side with Saul? b. Escaped to the cave of Adullam: This was David's place of refuge. set over the servants--Septuagint, "the mules of Saul." David may have thought he would just wait out the years until Saul died, isolated in the wilderness. The Second Time Around (1 Samuel 26:1-25) 24. a. Doeg the Edomite was last seen in 1 Samuel 21:7, where he was in Nob, at the tabernacle at the same time David came there. My prison seminars help me understand these incredible closing verses in 1 Samuel 21. The name Adullam means refuge, but the cave wasn't to be David's refuge. Privacy Policy i. First, it shows a wonderful love. "Herein David became a type of Christ, the Captain of our salvation, who cried, 'Come unto me, all ye that are weary.'" 1. "Hereby also God would exercise David's faith, and wisdom, and courage; and so prepare him for the kingdom, and uphold and increase his reputation among the people." The sheer pressures of these frustrations drives them to the refuge of the blood of Christ that was shed for them." Any way you slice it, David's lies came to no good. If Ahimelech would have known of the conflict between David and Saul, he could have chosen to stand with David, and die with greater honor. A person’s life is not deemed valuable because of their particular office or function. David took his parents to Moab because his great-grandmother Ruth was a Moabite (Ruth 4:18-22, 1:4). Psalm 57 shows David with a realistic heart: My soul is among lions … they have prepared a net for my steps. He wanted his parents to be safe in whatever battles he may face in the future. ", c. The title of Psalm 142 reads A Contemplation of David. David was the one anointed by God to be the next king over Israel, and Israel's greatest earthly king; but just as much as God called David, God called these four hundred to come beside David. (Redpath), ii. The New Testament The Old Testament e. My son has stirred up my servant against me: Jonathan never did any such thing, but Saul could not accept the truth that David and Jonathan were in the right, and he was in the wrong. i. Passwords should have at least 6 characters. Look at what King Saul said when he heard what David had done: Read 1 Samuel 24:16-19 But now he commands the death of complete bystanders to the problem. GenesisExodusLeviticusNumbersDeuteronomyJoshuaJudgesRuth1 Samuel2 Samuel1 Kings2 Kings1 Chronicles2 ChroniclesEzraNehemiahEstherJobPsalmsProverbsEcclesiastesSong of SongsIsaiahJeremiahLamentationsEzekielDanielHoseaJoelAmosObadiahJonahMicahNahumHabakkukZephaniahHaggaiZechariahMalachiMatthewMarkLukeJohnActsRomans1 Corinthians2 CorinthiansGalatiansEphesiansPhilippiansColossians1 Thessalonians2 Thessalonians1 Timothy2 TimothyTitusPhilemonHebrewsJames1 Peter2 Peter1 John2 John3 JohnJudeRevelation, Select a Beginning Point -------------------- They say they fear for their lives enough already, so why take the added risk of going to this battle with the Philistines? All of you have conspired against me, and there is no one who reveals to me that my son has made a covenant with the son of Jesse; and there is not one of you who is sorry for me or reveals to me that my son has stirred up my servant against me, to lie in wait, as it is this day.". 1 Samuel 22:9-16. (Poole). Also Nob, the city of the priests, he struck with the edge of the sword, both men and women, children and nursing infants, oxen and donkeys and sheep; with the edge of the sword. Apparently, when Doeg was detained before the LORD at the tabernacle (1 Samuel 21:7), it didn't change his heart at all. -------------------- One Step Forward and Two Backward (1 Samuel 27:1-28:2) 25. He needs someone who has no respect nor concern for that Law: a Gentile, And in this case, Saul happens to have that Gentile standing by, Or for that matter, the women, children, even infants, oxen and the rest, There is no indication that the king expected this response, Rather, it seems Doeg went well beyond the call of duty, either out of hatred for Jews or simply to impress the king, The Septuagint indicates that Doeg killed not 85 but rather 385, Josephus also wrote that Doeg killed 300 priests and prophets in Nob, It would seem that he wiped out the family of the high priest and the city of Nob, Ironically, Saul was unwilling to wipe out the Gentile enemies of Israel, the Amalekites, as God directed, But he was all too willing to sin against the Lord by allowing a Gentile to wipe out the Jewish priesthood, But one member of the family survives to perpetuate the priesthood, The priesthood of Eli is doomed to come to an end one day in the future during Solomon’s reign, But for now, it continues through Eli’s family by means of this one refugee, Abiathar escapes from Doeg and makes his way to David, He must have figured that he would be a hunted man like David, so he might as well align with David, Now we can see the wisdom of the Lord in allowing Doeg to attack the priests, This is an example of the Lord turning all things to good for those who love him, Because of Saul’s sin and the sin of this Edomite, the only priest remaining in the line of the high priests is with David, not Saul, David has become the protector of the priesthood and so it will forever be with David, And of course, the Lord is using David and Saul to extinguish the line of Eli as He promised to do, Nevertheless, David is distraught at the thought he was responsible for the death of the priests, David’s blaming himself and though we might be tempted to say he’s overreacting, it’s not far from the truth, His decision to go to the priests was a mistake, And when he saw Doeg, he admits he knew this man would report what he saw, So at the very least he should have stopped Doeg from returning, Nevertheless, David isn’t directly to blame for Saul’s actions, And more than that, he’s psychologically and emotionally unhinged as a result, When Paul says the wages of sin is death, he is speaking broadly about the condition of our soul, When a person lives in persistent sin against the Lord, eventually the wages (i.e., the return) on that lifestyle take their toll, A person suffers a slow death socially, psychologically, physically and even spiritually, If a person has saving faith, then God’s grace will preserve them from the ultimate penalty of their sin, that is the Second Death, But nevertheless, they may still suffer the side effects of sin in this life, This is the state of Saul, a man earning the wages of sin including a deteriorating psyche willing to murder the innocent to obtain what he desires, As David reflected on these circumstances, he wrote another Psalm, Now the story returns to David for a time, once again contrasting the increasing rebellion of Saul with the increasing obedience of David, We assume David returned from Moab to the large cave of Adullam, From there he learns that the Philistines have attacked a Jewish town called Keilah, This town is only about 2.5 miles south of David’s cave, so he recognizes an opportunity to help his Jewish brothers, The Philistines were raiding the grain storage of the Jews living in the surround area of the Shephelah, So David asks the Lord whether he should assist in the defense of the city, Notice David starts with an inquiry of the Lord in prayer, asking for direction, This is the first of four times David seeks the Lord’s counsel in this matter, Interestingly, David’s inquiry of the Lord was by means of the ephod of the high priest who now accompanied him, The ephod of the priest contained two special stones called Urim and Thummim, which means lights and perfection or truth, These stones could be used to divine the will of God, The priest could ask a yes/no question of God and then throw the stones, The stones would then reveal the answer in some way, Obviously, this was a supernatural provision God made available to Israel so that they might seek His will, These stones had been in possession of Saul’s priests, so Saul could have inquired of God at any time, But Saul made no effort to know God’s will, Because he had no interest in following it, The loss of the priests made little difference to Saul, But the arrival of this priest has now become the means for David to operate with the guidance and direction of God, When he asks the Lord whether to proceed into the city, the Lord says go, So David tells his men of the plan, but they object to the sense of it. They are just as called and anointed as David is, but they are called and anointed to follow and support David, and he is called and anointed to lead them. 2. When we do this, it helps them to see their own wrong actions. ii. Conclusions: BSF Study Questions People of the Promised Land 1 Lesson 13, Day 3: 1 Samuel 22 and Psalm 52: What a fascinating look into the mind of a madman and how people will twist whatever they hear to suit their needs. Dear Abby (1 Samuel 25:1-44) 23. This command shows Saul is going faster and faster down the decline away from the LORD. Johannine Writings And Abiathar told David that Saul had killed the Lord's priests. As David left Gath, he praised God with the exaltation we read in Psalm 34. Historical Books GenesisExodusLeviticusNumbersDeuteronomyJoshuaJudgesRuth1 Samuel2 Samuel1 Kings2 Kings1 Chronicles2 ChroniclesEzraNehemiahEstherJobPsalmsProverbsEcclesiastesSong of SongsIsaiahJeremiahLamentationsEzekielDanielHoseaJoelAmosObadiahJonahMicahNahumHabakkukZephaniahHaggaiZechariahMalachiMatthewMarkLukeJohnActsRomans1 Corinthians2 CorinthiansGalatiansEphesiansPhilippiansColossians1 Thessalonians2 Thessalonians1 Timothy2 TimothyTitusPhilemonHebrewsJames1 Peter2 Peter1 John2 John3 JohnJudeRevelation, Use semicolons to separate groups: 'Gen;Jdg;Psa-Mal' or 'Rom 3-12;Mat 1:15;Mat 5:12-22', There are options set in 'Advanced Options', The Whole Bible (Psalm 52:8-9). Four hundred men, and desperate men at that. This is a trap for any leader who feels under attack! Who will be my king? 5. General Epistles So David's family had seemed to mostly be against them, but now they are for him. Welcome to BibleStudyMinistry.com’s chapter summary series, do you need a quick summary of a chapter in the Bible, join us for the journey and learn a lot in our chapter summary series. i. David's lies did not directly kill Ahimelech and the other priests. Finding God’s Will, Any ‘Witch’ Way You Can (1 Samuel 28:1-25) 26. One reason why God wanted David in Judah was so that he could do some good. 1 David left Gath and escaped to Adullam’s fortress. Now, all he can do is minister to the need in front of him - Abiathar, the surviving priest. He knew he was called and anointed to be the next king of Israel. He said to the king of Moab, "Please let my father and mother come here with you." Copyright Restrictions As recorded in 1 Samuel 25:1–9, Samuel the prophet died and all the Israelites gathered to mourn his loss. Wisdom Literature These were not the men that David would have chosen for himself, but they were the ones called to him. So when his brothers and all his father's house heard it, they went down there to him. This is a precious gift from God, because previously all David had was trouble and persecution from his father and his brothers. Saul is clearly going off the deep end. Did I then begin to inquire of God for him? c. Will the son of Jesse give everyone of you fields and vineyards: Saul appeals to the truly worst in these men, asking them if a man from Judah will favor the tribe of Benjamin with riches and promotions. Go to the land of Judah: Gad counsels David to leave his own stronghold, and to go back to the very stronghold of Saul. GenesisExodusLeviticusNumbersDeuteronomyJoshuaJudgesRuth1 Samuel2 Samuel1 Kings2 Kings1 Chronicles2 ChroniclesEzraNehemiahEstherJobPsalmsProverbsEcclesiastesSong of SongsIsaiahJeremiahLamentationsEzekielDanielHoseaJoelAmosObadiahJonahMicahNahumHabakkukZephaniahHaggaiZechariahMalachiMatthewMarkLukeJohnActsRomans1 Corinthians2 CorinthiansGalatiansEphesiansPhilippiansColossians1 Thessalonians2 Thessalonians1 Timothy2 TimothyTitusPhilemonHebrewsJames1 Peter2 Peter1 John2 John3 JohnJudeRevelation, Select a Beginning Point This cave exists in a region just south of the Elah Valley where David killed Goliath, It’s a region of limestone cliffs with many very large caverns, These caves can easily accommodate 400 or more men, David flees here in fear and utter despair, He has left his life, his power, his family, his best friend, He has made a fool of himself in front of Israel’s enemies, And he has no plan, no resources and no idea of how he will survive in the face of a determined enemy with all the power of a nation, And in this mindset David writes one of his first psalms, This psalm is called a prayer, because that’s what David is doing in this cave…he’s praying, He’s made his escape into the enemy's land, He’s like so many of us if we were brought through this trial, When life comes crashing down, at first we think we have it under control, We try to manage it ourselves, planning, scheming, even making  a fool of ourself, Not realizing that the whole time the Lord is bringing these circumstances for good purpose, And all our scheming is just delaying the process of growth the Lord has planned for our sake, Then eventually we come to the end of ourselves, We see the foolishness of our feeble efforts, And more importantly, we come to recognize that the Lord has brought these events into our life to test our faith, It’s confirmation of the old adage that prayer is our last resort when it should be our first response, It’s fair to say this was David’s pattern as well, It’s confirmation that he’s in the beginning of his testing, We see the very immaturity that the Lord wants to expose and correct, And so David prays for relief, and in response the Lord sends David support, As v.1 told us David is met by a collection of men from his tribe and immediate household, This must have been a great encouragement to David, He’s sitting in a huge empty cave, fearing for his life and feeling abandoned by the world, And then a group of brothers appear and bring him great relief, If you were picking a kickball team, these guys would all be picked last, Samuel says they are in distress, debt and discontented, In other words, these guys are as wanted as David, So when they hear that the future king of Israel is on the run, they say to themselves, this is my kind of king, This collection of rejected, despised have-nots of society have found their refuge with a man who shares their shame. For your servant knew nothing of all this, little or much: Ahimelech is telling the exact truth. He is training and preparing them for the day when He shall come to reign." 23 i And as for the matter of which you and I have spoken, behold, j the L ord is between you and me forever.” 24 So David hid himself in the field. By proceeding, you consent to our cookie usage. Approximately four hundred men joined him. But after that exhilaration wore off, he had a serious problem to consider: what do I do now? When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, then You knew my path. He cared for his parents when he had plenty of problems of his own. So David said to Abiathar, "I knew that day, when Doeg the Edomite was there, that he would surely tell Saul. -------------------- Far be it from me! With a spear in his hand, and all his servants standing about him: We've seen Saul in this place before! This was a solid beginning to a rebel army, if David wanted it to be that. These men came to David in distress, in debt, and discontented, but they didn't stay that way. David's song of praise. As you study 1 Samuel 25, look for a principle that relates to the effects your righteous choices have on the people around you. Roll your dough into a ball, In the years before David … b. What should we assume about a cave significant to have a name? i. . (1Sa 22:20-23) David protects Abiathar, the only survivor of Ahimelech's family. But you can't hide 400 men. The LORD wanted to be David's refuge in this time of discouragement. This shows wonderful love and obedience on the part of David. GenesisExodusLeviticusNumbersDeuteronomyJoshuaJudgesRuth1 Samuel2 Samuel1 Kings2 Kings1 Chronicles2 ChroniclesEzraNehemiahEstherJobPsalmsProverbsEcclesiastesSong of SongsIsaiahJeremiahLamentationsEzekielDanielHoseaJoelAmosObadiahJonahMicahNahumHabakkukZephaniahHaggaiZechariahMalachiMatthewMarkLukeJohnActsRomans1 Corinthians2 CorinthiansGalatiansEphesiansPhilippiansColossians1 Thessalonians2 Thessalonians1 Timothy2 TimothyTitusPhilemonHebrewsJames1 Peter2 Peter1 John2 John3 JohnJudeRevelation. So he brought them before the king of Moab, and they dwelt with him all the time that David was in the stronghold. He confessed his guilt in the matter, and sought forgiveness from the LORD. i. These men were in debt. From a great victory to running around like a criminal, hiding in a cave. First, David's family came to him. 1 Samuel 24 Bible Story Center Materials Self-Control poster from Poster Pack, cup (2 oz.) (Psalm 52:1a, 2-4), ii. (Psalm 57:1), ii. Poetical Books ", a. I knew that day, when Doeg the Edomite was there, that he would surely tell Saul: David showed how he felt about this in Psalm 52, which says in its title A Contemplation of David when Doeg the Edomite went and told Saul, and said to him, "David has gone to the house of Ahimelech. This is David’s longest recorded Psalm. i. List at least one event that occurred during each period. General Epistles Please see Blue Letter Bible's Privacy Policy for cookie usage details. 5. John 3:16, Jesus faith love), The Whole Bible ii. God called an unlikely and unique group to David in Adullam cave. 9. "These are the kind of men who came to David: distressed, bankrupt, dissatisfied. David was pumped! Your tongue devises destruction, like a sharp razor, working deceitfully. i. "What a warning is here that we should not yield to the first intrusion of evil, lest the thought should lead to the act, and repeated acts to the habit, and habits congeal to character, and character become set in destiny!" (Clarke). At this point, David could have argued the point, but instead he returns to the counsel of the Lord to be sure, And once more the Lord confirms His earlier order, David’s approach to this situation and to these men is a great example of godly and humble leadership, Of course, the first step for every man or woman who leads or ministers to others is to know you are in the will of God yourself, And that requires that we ask Him to direct our hearts, which He will do by His Spirit, You may be tempted to think those rocks would make that process easier, But in reality you have an even greater access to God’s will by His Spirit, The Spirit can inform us beyond merely yes and no answers, And He speaks to us continually, not merely in special moments when we seek Him, So David models the importance of seeking God’s guidance as we lead others, followed next by communicating the orders of the Lord to others, We share what God reveals so that His will is manifest to others, And more importantly, so that we are on the record with others, Accountability to the will of God goes up exponentially when you share with others what the Lord has told you, Keep his will a secret, and you are more likely to forget it yourself, But then as we share the will of God, we might encounter resistance, Perhaps our spouse or parents or friends will question the plan, At that point, we may be tempted to argue in God’s favor, This response might seem like a demonstration of faith, but it can just as easily be the result of pride. Then the king said to the guards who stood about him, "Turn and kill the priests of the LORD, because their hand also is with David, and because they knew when he fled and did not tell it to me." (Psalm 142:1-4). Wisdom Literature Any man in the place of sin and rebellion Saul is in can't stand to see an innocent, guileless man like Ahimelech not in agreement with him. lesson Caught in a Cave Community We respect one another. Then David went from there to Mizpah of Moab; and he said to the king of Moab, "Please let my father and mother come here with you, till I know what God will do for me." You love evil more than good, lying rather than speaking righteousness. Not only does he accuse Ahimelech and David of conspiracy against him (you conspired against me, you and the son of Jesse), but he also thinks that David is out to kill him (that he should rise against me, to lie in wait). In the way in which I walk they have secretly set a snare for me. Will I be a man of Saul or a man of David? Major Prophets Page #5 Workbook on 1 Samuel Assignments on 1 Samuel 1 Read 1 Samuel 1, then answer the following questions. 2 Everyone who was in trouble, in debt, or in desperate circumstances gathered around David, and he became their leader. "God is a pure act, and he willeth that all his should be active, 'and run with patience the race that is set before them." But if this were their design they were greatly disappointed, for David never made any improper use of them."
2020 1 samuel 22 lesson